[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ratatouille

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 19

File: Ego-anton-ego-14471116-1293-571.jpg (301KB, 1293x571px) Image search: [Google]
Ego-anton-ego-14471116-1293-571.jpg
301KB, 1293x571px
What meal made you feel like this?
>>
>>95149709
None. My parents didn't cook for us very often, they worked. Which is fine because they were awful cooks.
>>
>>95149709
Easy. Philly Cheese Streak with grilled pepperoni jammed in from a resturant called New York Pizza in Vinton Virginia. I remember dad calling in the order (he'd get a strombolli that was to die for), we'd go down to the blockbuster across the street and get Major Payne, pick up the food (enjoying the smells of the restaurant while listening to people scream at each other in italian), and then going back home to enjoy it all.
>>
>>95149709
Home baked bread. I make it myself and it always tastes great after getting it out of the oven.
>>
>>95149709
Sheepshead. My grandfather was always a big fan of old boiled sheepshead, and would often leave some in his pantry to become "feathered", which made them grow some sort of white mold. It was weird, but they really were really good, and I'd usually only eat them with him. I miss the old man.
>>
>>95149709
I don't really feel anything anymore.
>>
File: 1504403094909.gif (707KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1504403094909.gif
707KB, 200x250px
shit tier taste but the stuffed crust pizza my elementary school served back in like.. 1996 or so

thinking of those times and memories just makes me so cozy, back when I didnt know what the internet was, and all I did was go to school, go home to watch VHS tapes and play with actual toys on the 2-3 acres of land my family owned
>>
>>95149709
my moms cannelloni
>>
Two. First is my family's lasagna recipe. My maternal great grandmother and grandmother made it, my mother makes it, and I learned it 7 years ago. Always reminds me of home. The second is my chili. It reminds me of previous tailgates and adventures with friends growing up.
>>
>>95149709
Lasagna
>>
anything my grandmother made since I ate at her place from birth to the end of highschool.

isn't dumping your kids on your parents amazing?
>>
>>95150277

it's okay if they are on retirement and want to feel needed.

selfishly exploiting them is despicable.
>>
Sauerbraten, my mom makes it every Christmas and its always my favorite meal of the year.
>>
>>95149709
apple flips and the quiche my mom got from her aunt that's more like a deep dish casserole than an omelet
>>
>>95149812
Why would you rent Major Payne every time you ate there? I mean it's a funny movie and all but I couldn't watch it more than a few times.
>>
>>95149709
McDonald's Biscuits. I remember in the summertime waking up, my grandpa and his dog coming in from outside, my grandpa sweaty and listening to old headphones connected to a portable radio, bringing in a bag of McDonald's biscuits. We'd go to the basement, which had an underground bar setup with stools, a bar counter, and everything. He even had coasters with his name one them like a bar.
He's always ask me "Hello stranger, what's your poison?" And pour me some rootbear in an A&W glass. He had a tiny radio he'd turn on on the counter. He even had a mini fridge behind the counter where he put the rootbeer.

Ever since he died, I never ate another one.

I miss it so much, /co/.
>>
for me its the mcchicken, the best fast food sandwich
>>
>>95149709
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>95149709

Taking a sip of Ecto Cooler last year for the first time in 20+ years. That Ghostbusters reboot was absolute trash, but it was worth it just to taste Ecto Cooler again.
>>
>>95149709
I once had cod and chips that made me feel like this. It was like eating nectar of the gods.
>>
>>95149709
a great big heaping your moms pussy
>>
Blackberry pie. Not even joking.

I'd been eating blueberry pies for years thinking it was this one delicious flavor i'd had as a kid, then some 20 years later my family got blackberry just on a whim.

I wanted to cry.
>>
My grandma's spaghetti.
Only my aunt can accurately recreate it when my grandma isn't there or something.
My dad knows how but makes needless changes that ruin it.
>>
File: o.jpg (136KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
136KB, 750x1000px
some sort of Spanish squid/octopus ink noodle dish. Had it at Asheville NC, it was pure euphoric bliss
>>
>>95150865
Go eat one in his honor, he'd probably be incredibly happy that you remember him so well.
Grandparents do that kind of thing specifically in the hope that you'll remember it.
If you ever have Grandkids, pass on the memory.
>>
Enchiladas

My mom been dead for 6 years and out of nowhere when I was are at some local place and they seemed to make it very similar and I lost myself to it.

Too bad I was never that close to her so I'm more nostalgic to the flavor and not my memories with her.
>>
File: i'm done.gif (436KB, 210x131px) Image search: [Google]
i'm done.gif
436KB, 210x131px
I cooked me some navy-style macaroni (pasta+ground beef) a couple weeks ago because that's all I found at home and I was feeling too lazy to go to the store, and when I ate the first spoonful of it, I realized that the last time I ate it was when mom used to cook it many years ago, before going to uni, before my father started drinking heavily and left us, mother died of a brain tumor, dog ran away and grandparents died of old age.
>>
File: 1494842266505.png (195KB, 470x556px) Image search: [Google]
1494842266505.png
195KB, 470x556px
>>95149709
Normally I dislike the taste of green beans but my grandma was an amazing cook and one of her specialties was green beans; I think it had a lot of butter, onions, and chopped up bacon mixed in. We had it at every holiday and I always loved it but she got Alzheimers and finally passed away. My aunt and mom have the recipe, but it's never been the same when they make it.
>>
>>95151543
that's real appetizing man
>>
>>95151760
I know it looks gross but it tasted like heaven
>>
>>95149709
My cat's delicious boypussy and he goes purr purr purr as I feast :3
>>
>>95151543
>octopus ink

That is literally feces, anon.

You are eating feces.
>>
My grandmother's meatloaf with mashed potatoes. Gives me flashbacks.
>>
>>95149709
Frankly, I do not hold my mother's cooking in high regard and haven't developed much of an emotional attachment to any specific recipe.
There's not even a recipe she does that I wouldn't try and improve where I can.
Maybe it's just the fact that my parents taught me to cook and I have had a very analytical relationship with food ever since, trying go replicate and adapt things I see rather than putting them on a pedestal.
Well, maybe it's just that my folks aren't dead for thirty years.

Upon further rummaging, maybe there is one thing that I connect to a feeling of home and family. My grandmother makes the only actually tasty Frankfurter Kranz I ever had. I'm not saying she makes the best, mostly because she is completely off from the original concept.
Which is a good thing, because the concept is shit. It's a heavy, difficult clump of a cake that has a horrendous taste of nothing but butter cream. Which is why any I would get at a bakery would be technically correct, but taste like a block of butter with cake chunks and caramelised nuts. Her version is heavy, make no mistake, but it has a nice, fresh taste and does not leave the mouth covered in a layer of butter. Chase it with a brandy-laced coffee and then enjoy the carnival. Good times.
>>
>>95152101
It's made out of melanin and mucus you brainlet
>>
File: 1450438590178.png (101KB, 210x251px) Image search: [Google]
1450438590178.png
101KB, 210x251px
>>95149709
Pasta, cheese, and Pesto.
Had it quite regularly as a child.
>>
>>95152195

>"I'm not eating feces, I'm eating mucus!"

You sure showed me.
>>
>>95150915
>>95150871
>>95150865
>>95149812
>Best childhood memory is a fucking brand
Marketing to kids works
>>
I had chicken in shibuya that reminded me of a friends birthday party who is no longer in my life.
>>
>>95153244
People have jobs to help make children happy, enriched and entertained

Stop being a contrarian faggot or go play with sticks in the backyard
>>
>>95149709
French pastry shop I lived by when I was a kid. Luckily, it's still open, so I stop by there from time to time.
>>
Hamburger helper.

alternative chocolate biscuits and gravy.

Both terrible for you, but my dad would make them on special occasions so it's pretty nostalgic.
>>
>>95151543
OH NO!
>>
>>95153244
>He didn't have a happy childhood
>>
Steak marinaded in a cuban brine with rum, citrus fruits, cilantro, and garlic
>>
>>95153324
A human who cannot cook cannot be considered part of a culture, let alone teach it to their children.
Such a person is a mere recipient of culture, not bearer and propagator of it.
>>
>>95153324
>go play with sticks in the backyard
Back in my dads day kids used to do that.

Now...there not allowed to climb trees because it's not safe (they're climbing a tree, it's not supposed to be safe) and they have no sense of direction.
>>
>>95153324
You must be American to enjoy having the deepest side of your sould be parasitised by corporation.

If you were somewhat normal the best food from your memory would be family kitchen, not some trademark shit that would turn you into a living product-placement for life.
>>
>>95153244
I actually agree with you, but you're not going to tell me you never had a food joint you would stop by occasionally.
>>
>>95153467
homemade food or corporate food; we're all stil faggots posting on /co/. Clearly, it doesn't actually matter.
>>
>>95149709
Lobster and Melted Butter. Grew up in New England and it always brings me back to those idyllic days.
>>
>>95149709
Fondue.
Whoever went to ski for holidays know that feel.
>>
My grandma's noodle soup
It's the most plain, easy to make dish I know of, but no one can make it like her
>>
>>95149709
We /cock/ now?
>>
>>95153408
Brine? That sounds a bit counter-intuitive to me. Why not make the ingredients into an oily reduction so you don't soak it in water and wash out the flavor of the beef?
I have a nice kebab recipe that uses lemon, garlic and onion in a similar way and it is ridiculously good.
>>
>>95153554
Of course it matters. If your fondest childhood memory is a McChicken or some soda you are one of the reasons Marvel/DC never die.
>>
>>95153632
Just as all the best girls.
>>
>>95153681
Wrong /cock/ fampai.
>>
>>95149709
I've never had that kind of feel, specifically, but I do love my mom's lasagna, even if it's just off the back of a box.
>>
>>95153724
Don't you enjoy discussing the latest comic issues with your significant other while preparing a feisty bunny for the oven?
>>
>>95153787
I'm more of a "discuss patrician tier cartoons while preparing a coq au vin" man myself
>>
The fresh from the fryer frenchfries from McDonalds I had after I got discraged from the metal ward for almost killing myself.
>>
>>95153740
You'd be surprised where you find a good recipe sometimes.
We should start scrawling some on bathroom stalls.
>For a good time, take:
>One pound of boneless chicken thighs
>two large onions
>two cloves of garlic, finely chopped
>one thumb-sized piece of ginger, freshly ground
>two carrots, grated into fine strips
>one apple, grated (a light sour note is preferable)
>two pints of chicken stock
>two table spoons of dark soy sauce (any will do, really)
>one table spoon of tomato ketchup or tomato paste
>salt, pepper
>200g of ready-made Japanese curry mix. Alternatively you can make your own by preparing about an equal amount of a dark roux and mixing about two table spoons of garam masala to taste into the hot mass.

>>95153818
>coq au vin
Not after that terrible movie. Turns the bird to ashes in my mouth.
>>
The first time I sucked a dick.
Thanks a lot for the repressed memories, Father Tim.
>>
>>95149709
Moms spaghetti
No really, that's my answer
>>
>>95149709
Macaroni soup or sopas in our language

I hated anything soup when I was a kid but they grew on me and now I hate myself for the shit that I've missed out on
>>
>>95149709
Orange Chicken from the Dragon Wok on Nicollet Ave.
I was having a lousy day, and eating something that wasn't shitty gas station food really cheered me up.
Or the Salsa I made with my brother and dad. Or the cookies mom makes every christmas.

Never really thought about how good I had it when it came to food until just now.
>>
my grandmother's homemade granola
>>
Peanut butter pie at this restaurant downtown. I remember the day that I first had it just like I remember yesterday... The waitress, her name was Sonia, I remember she had B.O. She handed me the pie--this is true--I took one bite and I swear time stood still. I remember that day like some people remember Kennedy's death.
>>
>>95149709

A new york style pizza me and my dad used to get when I was a little brat living in Marietta GA.

It was called Big Daddy's or something like that (hard to remember that shit way back when).

My old man used to work there so every day after school I used to get a free slice of cheese pizza, and the damn thing was bigger than my fucking head.

Those were the days.
>>
>>95153324
>jobs are to keep children entertained

actually being in the forest or outside is what keeps kids entertained. if capitalism didn't demand constant temporary development and cutting trees down, it wouldn't be an issue.

BTW hurricane Harvey was bad for Houston because prairelands had been developed. there was nowhere for the water to go because the ground couldn't soak it up enough because it was covered in pavement and housing development that got flooded.
>>
>>95153353
damn it anon. you have awakened my craving.
>>
>>95149709
cheap ass spinach vegetable dip
>>
>>95149709
PB and J on toasted bread
Simple
>>
>>95154049
I'm more partial to Burgundy beef and Bob's Burgers gives me some interesting burger ideas.
>>
>>95149709
UMA
>>
>>95154736
>That hey Arnold! episode at a French restaurant where they splatter burgundy sauce from a tube like it's fucking ketchup.
>>
>>95149709
Grandma's Lasagna. Yes, she was Italian and yes she was a true cook. She never shared the recipe with anyone. I would legit murder someone to have it again.
>>
>>95153244
>not recognising the mcchicken meme
How fucking new are you
>>
File: file.jpg (342KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
342KB, 800x600px
>>95149934
Pizza Hut Calzones
I'll never forgive them for getting rid of them.
I haven't ordered from them in years because of it
>>
/cock/ is back i see
a good slice of ny pizza always makes me remember being a kid
>>
>>95154816
Fucking disgusting philistines! That shit pissed me off as a kid
>>
>>95154855
I never get tired of the Great Steak Debate.

black and blue to medium rare is the best choice for steak.
>>
>>95149709
Meatloaf, but only whenever my mom makes it

both her and my dad did some pretty shitty things to me and my brothers and i resented her for a long while now. she made it for me on my last birthday in an attempt to get the family together. she's a decent cook and it was pretty standard, but the fact that she made it is what made it the greatest thing i'd ever had. I could tell that she put a lot of effort and love into it, it almost made me forgive her for pretty much abandoning us and indirectly making my life during middle school a living hell. i'm not going to sit here just call her a bitch because she has dealt with some pretty heavy shit as well and looking back i could tell she was in pain and was looking for a way to forget about it all

It made me remember all the good times from when i was way younger and for that time i wasn't a miserable piece of shit

i was sincerely happy
>>
File: hotdog.jpg (613KB, 2450x1827px) Image search: [Google]
hotdog.jpg
613KB, 2450x1827px
It's not even a prepared meal like most of the people here; just thaw them in boiling water and there we go. I've always loved the shitty ones, that really salty fake flavor that feels like you just lost a day off your total lifespan just by eating it. I guess it's because i grew up on them but when i eat them either by themselves or in hot dogs or in pasta or cooked on a fire; that shitty flavor is home.
>>
File: stuffed peppers.jpg (98KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
stuffed peppers.jpg
98KB, 960x960px
My mom would make stuffed peppers occasionally, and she did it perfectly. I would come home and smell those stuffed peppers and I was so excited. To this day even smelling stuffed peppers reminds me of home and mom.

She died 3 years ago to cancer. I miss her.
>>
My dad's meatloaf and taters. Otherworldly.
>>
Turkey scallopini
>>
>>95155267
You have my condolences anon, losing the person who brought you to life is the worst feeling.
>>
>>95152281
I proved you wrong, it's not feces, don't change the goalposts. Your stomach and throat are already covered in mucus anyways.
>>
>>95149709
Grandad used to make this kickass thing with scrambled eggs, cheese and pepperoni. Don't remember the name, just that it was fucking incredible.
>>
>>95154476
My grandma's chicken and dumplins. Yes, i said dumplins. She'd roast two whole chickens over carrots, onions, and celery, removed the meat, put the skin bones and vegetables in a pot with the same seasonings and make a rich broth from it. It was always ready to serve when we walked in as if she knew we were coming.
>>
File: 1469063410320.png (443KB, 639x581px) Image search: [Google]
1469063410320.png
443KB, 639x581px
>>95155568

>"Dumplins"
>Not "Dumplings"

My man. Was your granny a southern gal.
>>
>>95149709
Nothing. I hate food.
>>
>>95155666
Why yes i am Satan. Her too. My whole family are of Southern decent as well as German.
>>
>>95155726
Why you lyin' anon?
>>
>>95155740

Good shit. I moved to the American south for work. I miss my home but god damn southern soul food is good.

Hasn't done wonders for my waistline unfortunately.
>>
>>95149745
Did you at least get frozen nuggets you poor bastard?
>>
>>95155779
Remember that all soul food is Southern but not all southern food is soul food. I'm also part Cajun.
>>
Eating doughballs from the local bowling alley or italian restaurant, never found them outside my home town. Just snipped up light pizza dough lightly deep fried and tossed in parm then served with marinara or nacho cheese.
>>
>>95155827

>Girlfriend introduced me to corn pudding and collard greens at Christmas dinner

I was a happy man
>>
>>95155870
I trust you put a ring on her.
>>
>>95149709
My wife's chicken paprikash. My mom used to cook it growing up but always half-assed the recipe and once my wife decided to tweak and improve the recipe and it's fantastic.
>>
>>95153429
I guess all those men throughout history who never even touched the stove because they had a wife weren't a part of their culture.
>>
>>95156322
No those men were building said culture.
>>
Tilapia. I'd get shit-faced with my dad and I'd experiment with spice rubs.
>>
>>95153441
My parents used to send us out to a little wood lot behind our house. Now it's a Harvey's.
>>
>>95156422
Catfish is better. Especially when you've caught it and cleaned it yourself.
>>
>>95156435
You mean Hardee's?
>>
Mom only cooked chicken and rice and sometimes pasta
>>
>>95156449
I know, but it was those night of drunken bonding that helped ignite my passion for food once I realized I had a knack for seasonings. Just Dad, a handle of vodka, a spice rack, and shitty frozen fish for me to play with. It's the only thing close to what occurred in Ratatouille.

I've actually avoided tilapia entirely since he passed away.
>>
>>95149709
Cathead biscuits.

My family came from an EXTREMELY rural area, and that culture kind of stuck with them. My parents would always make cathead biscuits on the weekend for breakfast, which were basically soft and super crumbly homemade biscuits, along with gravy made from fried venison backstrap grease.

The closest thing that ever relates would have to be Cracker Barrel biscuits, but those get too gummy as you chew them.
>>
File: 341389844.jpg (48KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
341389844.jpg
48KB, 269x269px
>>95149709
My grandfather used to take us out back to his gardens and we'd pick raspberries. Then we'd get a bucket to take home and make jam. He used to give my parents a whole car full of fresh food. My mom would stretch that stuff out. Zuccini loaf, brownsugar and pecan sweet potato. Cabbage rolls. Then there was the scratch cake. no eggs required.
>>
Gooseberry jam, made by my grandma. She's still around, but she travels too much to make it anymore.
>>
File: crispitos.jpg (22KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
crispitos.jpg
22KB, 600x398px
I don't really have a moment, but this thread did get me thinking about all of my food memories.

Back in elementary school, we had this fundraiser called Market Day. We bought a lot from it, but my favorite was always Crispitos. Nothing special, despite being a trademark; just ground beef in a tortilla. But I loved it, and thinking back on it now reminds me of eating dinner with my sister and mom.

I think it's less the stuff you eat than who you eat it with. Almost all the food from my highschool cafeteria was garbage, but I remember it fondly now because I ate it at the table with all of my friends. Everything I eat at college tastes of loneliness and alienation.
>>
File: Harveys.jpg (20KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
Harveys.jpg
20KB, 300x201px
>>95156471
no.
>>
>>95156726
Damn that looks shitty
>>
>>95156422
I misread tilapia for tequila, still makes perfect sense.
>>
File: the best.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
the best.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>95156714
DUDE!! looking back, highschool food was usually shitty Thanks Michelle But every Wednesday dude, every fucking Wednesday, was chicken ring day and they were the shit. You literally held out for these motherfuckers but it was so worth it. it was just chicken rings with green beans, mashed potatoes, and a roll. the portions were small af so whenever the next Wednesday came, everyone was on that shit. back when i missed school a lot i NEVER missed a Wednesday they were that fucking good
>>
>>95155227
That shit looks like plastic.
>>
When I was a kid the sister of my grandmother made some doughnuts and gave me one, it was amazing, creamy, sweet with a strangely good taste of egg and doug. She has never made doughnuts since then (she's made other pastries though) but those in particular are something I remember very fondly.
>>
File: 20150220_152035.jpg (938KB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
20150220_152035.jpg
938KB, 2048x1232px
Pretty much any and everything from Mister Donut.
I swear my soul is healed a tiny bit every time I have a donut from there.
Specifically, the Mister Donut in Kanazawa, Japan.
>>
>>95149709

A couple of months ago I was hanging out with some friends and I was kinda drunk when I mentioned I cried the last time I watched this scene. I'm not sure why I'd say that, that was a pretty stupid mistake, I was getting enough shit before.
>>
>>95149709
Either a bowl of maple brown sugar oatmeal I had when I was sick or the sub sandwich and brownie I got on my 14th birthday
>>
>>95157956
you need better friends.
>>
File: resizer.jpg (155KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
resizer.jpg
155KB, 600x300px
>>95149709
love /cock/ threads
for me, sea urchin for the first time. It's great, like oysters but not shit and better
>>
>>95158756
Well west coast oysters are pretty shit desu. Gulf oysters this time of year are fucking perfect.
>>
Caprese with portabello mushrooms.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.