[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planetary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: 27_full_cover-lrg.jpg (352KB, 1886x955px) Image search: [Google]
27_full_cover-lrg.jpg
352KB, 1886x955px
I just got done reading the entire series, and I can definitely say it was one of the best I ever read.

I now understand why I've seen so many memes with panels from the books. Clearly, the number of memes that can be created by something is proportional to its popularity and quality.

Since I finished the series, there's something I've been wondering after Elijah Snow killed those Fantastic Four knockoffs.

Does /co/ think that Elijah Snow could defeat or kill Rick Sanchez?
>>
File: 1497430742645.jpg (113KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1497430742645.jpg
113KB, 1252x1252px
>That second spoiler
So this is what it's come up to eh?
>>
>>95127342

It seemed like a logical pairing, unfortunately.
>>
File: realiplus1.jpg (102KB, 450x361px) Image search: [Google]
realiplus1.jpg
102KB, 450x361px
>>95127267
I can respect this, takes a little more effort than your regular troll thread. Well done.
>>
>>95127778

It really wasn't my intention, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>95127267
We will ever ser not Doc Savage again?
>>
here's a post i saved, about what Planetary was a homage to in each isssue. Interesting stuff.

1. Pulp Heroes (Doc Savage Leading) and how superheroes supplanted them
>2. Kaiju films and the post war japanese culture that gentrated
>3. John Wu gun fu hong kong movies
It's that combined with a take on The Spectre (who was a cop that was murdered and came back as a ghost)
>4. Jules Verne Science romance
It's also a take on the Golden Age Captain Marvel. Notice how the guy was an orphan and his superhero design evokes a bit of Captain Marvel's costume.
>5.Doc Savage again
>6.The fantastic 4 and how they killed off other genres (not true)
>7. Early and proto Vertigo and how despite being soiced as more "mature" than old comics they are just as silly and need to be supplanted in turn (Constantine suceeded by Spider Jersuleum)
>8.50s atomic horror monsters
>9.Grant Morrison comics (with a tinge of Matrix, said to be based on the invisibles)
>10.DC comics superheroes and how Marvel heroes supplanted them in the 60s (actually true)
>>
>11.Steranko era nick fury
>12.Planetary itself
>13. Victorian loeg style fiction (Sherlock Holmes, Dracula etc, with the subtext of there era ending as the 20th century dawns)
>14.The x files , with conspiracies seen as distractions to distract the feeble minded from actual issues
The hammer is also a reference to Marvel Thor's cane transforming into Mjolnir. And the subspace thing might be sort of like the one from Miracleman (only weapons are being stored instead of bodies).
>15.Aborgine dreamtime
Also Carlton Marvell is based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars and Carson of Venus.
>16.Japanese horror films (Ringu, the Grudge etc)
You miss the major homage in there, it's more about Wire fu than horror films. Remember Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was only just out maybe about three or so years before this comic.
>17.Tarzan
>18.From Earth to the Moon
>19. 2001 a space Oddessy
>20. Space comics (with a riff on the galactus trilogy)
I'd say both 19 and 20 are a riff on the Galactus trilogy plus other Kirby cosmic stuff. The angels could be comparable to the Recorders from Marvel.
>21.psychadleia and acid trips
Also a take on Doctor Strange and Promethea.
>22. Westerns Zorro/Lone Ranger style
The Dead Ranger's descendent is Bret Leather who is the analogue to The Shadow and The Spider (who himself was a sort of knock-off of The Shadow, but had far more batshit insane stories). The part about Bret's name, and Bret being a newspaper man and being a descendent of the Lone Ranger analogue is supposed to be compared to Britt Reid. the Green Hornet (who was a relative of the Lone Ranger and ran a newspaper).
>23. Jerry Brucmheimer action movies
>24.Planetary itself
>25. The Fantastic 4 (as the bad guys)
Not only that but John Stone's weapon is a deliberate reference to the Satan Claw from Steranko's Nick Fury. It was a weapon that Strucker used. The planet that the Four encountered might be a version of Apokolips.
>26. Planetary itself
>27.Planetary Itself
>>
>>95127267
While I love Planetary, I like Transmetroplitan, Ignition City, and FreakAngels more.
>>
>>95131080
>>95131117

I figured that the secret agent was a homage of sorts to Nick Fury. Can't believe I missed a few things when I shouldn't have.

After reading this book, you would have fooled me if you said Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison are close friends/closely related.

Hmmm....I wonder what would be produced if Ellis and Morrison worked together on something. I mean, a few issues I'm there's the crashed shift needing seven pilots and Morrison with his "Seven Soldiers of Victory" stuff

This all can't be some coincidence. There's a very sharp spike being displayed on my Hypercrisis detector.
>>
>>95131080
>Doc Savage
I miss that man.
>>
>>95131723
>>95131723
Well, Ellis was kind of interested in this esoteric things too.
>>
>>95134116

What esoteric things exactly?
>>
>>95135068
Have you read his run on Helstrom?
>>
File: planetary (2).jpg (222KB, 655x1024px) Image search: [Google]
planetary (2).jpg
222KB, 655x1024px
It's fucking awesome watching John Cassaday evolve from a great artist to the GOAT artist during the course of this series.
>>
>>95135234
I loved the art so much. At first, I thought the artist was Quitely because of how good it was.
>>
File: planetary batman (2).jpg (58KB, 484x750px) Image search: [Google]
planetary batman (2).jpg
58KB, 484x750px
How is it possible to make a comic this good?
>>
>>95135223

Helstrom? What's that? This is the first I heard of it.
>>
>>95127267
great writing, great art.

and then warren ellis drops it like he drops everything else
>>
>>95135385
Daimon Helstrom.
>>
>>95135476

The Son of Satan? I know Warren Ellis started doing the series after #11, but that's it. What about it?
>>
>>95135681
You can see that's were he starts playing with this obscure stuff.
>>
>>95135719

Huh. Figures. Guess I'll need to read it then.
>>
>>95131723
Morrison and Ellis talked a lot during the 90s
>>
File: Cassaday.jpg (819KB, 2550x2229px) Image search: [Google]
Cassaday.jpg
819KB, 2550x2229px
>>95135234
>>95135268
What happened to this poor man?
>>
File: IMG_6231.jpg (104KB, 657x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6231.jpg
104KB, 657x426px
Issue #19 is more of an homage to a different Arthur C Clarke novel titled "Rendezvous with Rama."
>>
>>95138231
Marvel
>>
The Gotham issue was great! I'm not a big bat fan but that issue made me appriciate him more.
>>
>>95138231

1. Dead;ines

2. Laziness

3. Marvel House style
>>
>>95131117
Plus 19 and 20 are very clearly based on Rendezvous with Rama.
>>
>>95131117
I'd also say the extradimensional planet the 4 got their powers from we see at the end was a homage to Apokilips.
>>
>>95135360
Simply by being Warren Ellis.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-06-09-28-36.png (827KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-06-09-28-36.png
827KB, 1080x1920px
Question were do these crossovers fit in the reading order of the main book?Thanks.
>>
>>95143709
His Star Wars covers are also pretty awful. He has regressed with age
>>
>>95145403

The Authority crossover comes after Planetary #10 and the JLA and Batman crossovers come after Planetary #15 but it doesn't really matter. All three are either out of continuity or make no reference to continuity.
>>
Still trying to figure out what the hell the Hypercrisis is supposed to be about.

One interpretation is how creatures and other awful stuff in fiction coming to life and destroying our reality.

But where do stuff like seven pilots or seven soldiers fit into that?

And then there's something like how reality is holonomic or something. That the universe or such is like an organism and that people are like cells or whatever and that some people are created to stimulate or protect the universe.

Then there's stuff about how there's the first superhero and how he/she is very important. But if everything is just ideas and stories, wouldn't that make the first superhero something like a neurophage?

I'm seriously just trying to figure out how this all fits together.
>>
>>95145403
Planetary/JLA isnt canon As in the main series Clark and Bruce dont exist, and that version of Diana was explicitly killed by the 4
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.