[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get back into Transformers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Transformers-Devastation.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Transformers-Devastation.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
So playing Transformers Devastation has made me crave watching a Transformers series again for the first time in years.

I watched Beasts Wars when I was really little, and then Armada after that when I was around 10 or so. My brother was really into the series where Optimus was a fire truck but I didn't like care for that one.

G1 was before my time, can it be enjoyed without nostalgia goggles? Are any of the more recent series' good?

Throw some reccomendations at me /co/
>>
G1 is worth watching at least once, just be aware season 3 is an atrocity all around, so nobody would blame you for stopping at the movie.

Unicron Trilogy is garbage overall, save for the first few episodes of Armada.

Animated's good and recommended, but it's over before you know it

Prime is a love it or hate it thing, you'll have to see for yourself. The current RID series pretty much sucks.
>>
>>95120412
Thanks. I actually did watch the movie with some friends and I enjoyed it. But I'll keep that in mind.

I think Energon is where i stopped bothering with Transformers until the first Bayformers came out where I watched it just because. Maybe if I put on my nostalgia goggles, I could try to enjoy Armada again.

But I'll give Animated and Prime a shot.
>>
Save for Animated and Prime, it's all just toy commercial Saturday morning stuff. The first season of G1 is interesting, and the movie is really fun, but the rest is just the same predictable 80s cartoon stuff you've probably seen a million times already.

Beast Wars will get hyped to hell by fans, but it's actually kinda dated, and the "great plot" is kinda ruined by the constant silly jokes and cartoony moments. Beast Machines is actually a much more consistent show, with better animation and ability to maintain a serious tone throughout an entire episode, but everyone will tell you to no listen to me since the fandom has a hateboner for BM because it's not Beast Wars.

I'd say go with the two Cybertron games and then watch Prime. If you really like that, go back and watch Animated for a different take on the franchise.
>>
>>95120189
Prime and Animated are pretty good, and what I've read of the IDW stuff so far is good.
>>
>>95120189
Prime is very much love it or hate it. I feel that it gets put on a bit too high of a pedestal however, and certainly not as good as people claim it is, and just pretty eh for the most part.

That said, it can still be very enjoyable for those returning / new to the franchise. You don't really need to play the High Moon games before hand, because it hardly links together regardless.

Animated is wonderful, I view it as the best - but I'm pretty biased towards it. The show was unfortunately cancelled before it could receive it's Season 4 to bring a lot of closure to everything. This stuff was covered in the Allspark Almanac books, which are great reads if you enjoy the show. Despite it's lack of the final season, the show has a pretty solid ending and is a very fun time. However, it is very different from a lot of previous things the franchise has done, such as replacing Decepticon problem of the week, with assorted super-powered criminals. Despite this, many of these episodes are still enjoyable.

Beast Wars is dated, but enjoyable. Beast Machines I can see why it gets hate, however I still like it - but I wouldn't exactly say it's too good.

But honestly, just go find Kiss Players, that is the best thing Transformers has to offer.
>>
>>95120916
>But honestly, just go find Kiss Players, that is the best thing Transformers has to offer.
Finally someone with taste.
>>
>>95120916
>Kiss Players
That's not how you spell Energon
>>
>>95120189
>G1 was before my time, can it be enjoyed without nostalgia goggles?
Some of it, especially if you get enjoyment out of corny stuff.

Animated is pretty decent, and Prime is mostly solid if wasted potential. I don't know anything about the newer RiD series.
>>95120596
People have hate for BM because of how it handles the characters, not just because it's different.
>>
>>95120944
Sorry, but Energon is just good for the wank material. Kiss Players however? An absolute masterpiece of media. Some of the greatest characterisation, development and engaging storylines known to humankind. The creators are truly blessed for giving us such a remarkable gift from the gods.
>>
>>95120999
>Sorry, but Energon is just good for the wank material

What is there to even wank?
>>
>>95121007
What isn't.
>>
>>95120965

It's not like BW's characters were all that great, either. You grow attached to them because of the extremely tight and focused cast, but honestly the writing is all over the place. Things go from serious to corny to silly then back to serious again in the same scene. You have characters talking about the fate of the universe and their duty to their comrades seconds before making a silly far pun or something similar, and in the same battle you might have a character getting his arm chopped off and screaming in agony while another gets flattened by a rock Wile Coyote style with silly sounds and all. The show is also riddled with plot twists that show up out of nowhere just to explain why characters look like their new toys, or to kill off old characters that weren't selling as well.

It's a very hard show to take seriously when watching with no nostalgia goggles whatsoever. Is it fun? Sure, but so are most cartoons, really. Beast Machines actually tried to maintain a consistently serious tone and had lots of interesting subplots that delved into esoteric/spiritual stuff, making it more of a high concept sci-fi show a lot of times rather than just an exact reproduction of what ever transformers show before it had been.
>>
>>95120189
>G1 was before my time, can it be enjoyed without nostalgia goggles?
I'm a Beast Wars kid, but I enjoyed it. I'd say if you like Star Trek TOS, you can like G1. It's the same kind of deal, where it's carried by the great talent and chemistry between the actors.
>>
When I played that I really had an urge to absorb some more but that feeling can fade pretty fast. I have been watching Robots in Disguise (the latest series) since the beginning and I will say that wont scratch your itch. All the enemies are decepticons with an animal theme and none of them are that well known. Recently some cars have made it in the show but they are equally nobodies, which is not bad on its own but none of the robots you remember will be in there and the show is completely boring. Really was sad that this is what came after Prime because I enjoyed watching that every week (especially with how Megatron's story wrapped up).

>>95121052
I do not think I ever tried taking Beast Wars seriously unless it was one of those few exceptions you could tell it was supposed to be a serious moment, for me it is a "good if you know what you are getting into" series. Which is pretty much how most Transformers series should be approached since they are so vastly different.
>>
File: green lex luthor.jpg (12KB, 308x291px) Image search: [Google]
green lex luthor.jpg
12KB, 308x291px
>>95120596
>Beast Wars will get hyped to hell by fans, but it's actually kinda dated, and the "great plot" is kinda ruined by the constant silly jokes and cartoony moments. Beast Machines is actually a much more consistent show, with better animation and ability to maintain a serious tone throughout an entire episode, but everyone will tell you to no listen to me since the fandom has a hateboner for BM because it's not Beast Wars.
How can one have so much shit taste?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.