[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is 3D animation in the west so much better than japanese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Why is 3D animation in the west so much better than japanese CGI shows?

The Clone Wars, Rebels, Trollhunters, Transformers Prime and even old shit like Beast Machines and Code Lyoko look miles better in action than modern CGI anime.

Why is that? Also CGI animation thread I guess.
>>
>>95115729
Because western CG tries to be like 2D, with all the principles of animation used.
>>
I can really only speak for TCW, and that's the fact it had massive budget.
>>
>>95116156

I mean, the budget helps with better rendering, voice acting, modeling, and all that, but I feel like the biggest difference is in directing.

>>95116128

I feel like it's the opposite: CGI anime tries way too hard to be "it's like regular anime, but cheaper!" while wester CGI shows make full use of the 3D aspect in its photography and action sequencing.
Too often anime directions have no fucking clue of what they're doing when directing in 3D. e.g. Berserk 2016
>>
>>95116156
>up to $2 million per episode
>worked on 24/7 and around the world
Until a rich guy is willing to pay this much, we are never going to see 3D animated tv show this good again.
>>
>>95116225
>anime directions

I meant anime directors, derp.
>>
>>95116225
How was my point opposite?
>>
2D anime is already cheap, 3D takes it to the next level. Clone Wars/Rebels costs a fuckton and looks great for it.
>>
>>95116225
>I feel like it's the opposite: CGI anime tries way too hard to be "it's like regular anime, but cheaper!" while wester CGI shows make full use of the 3D aspect in its photography and action sequencing.
This.

CGI anime have the same fucking problems with stills and panning frames or stationary background characters. Even shit like RWBY is better than CGI anime.
>>
>>95116257

You said western cg tries to follow 2d principles. Did you mean to say eastern cg then?
>>
>>95116515

TMNT is a good example of a show that EMULATES the 2D cartoons and anime that inspired it while making use of proper 3D techniques to do so.
>>
>>95116585
Not that anon but I don't think his argument is about 3d compared to 2d but how western 3d actually tries to be animated
>>
>>95117265
Exactly.
>>
>>95116241
Where does that money go, like why is 3d more expensive than 2d?
>>
>>95117265

Ha, got it.
>>
>tfw Ajin has a negative number of frames
>>
>>95118026

Because modeling, rendering, animating and all that requires a lot of people and processing power.

Given enough time, a good 2D animator could make some really high-quality 2D stuff by himself, but the same does not translate to 3D animation.
>>
Square Enix and Toei's CG are better than those, but Disney's budget is still better, Disney also outsourced some of their projects to Toei, only Toei's CG department can do Hollywood-tier CG in Japan. Japanese can do it, but successful animated movies like Ghibli movies and Kimi no Wa are rare in Japan, there's too much risk, FFXV movie only earned 900$ million on Japanese theaters, maybe if China gave them a project for a local Chinese movie, they can surpass Disney.
>>
>>95119210
correction, only 900 million yen
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.