[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family Guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1321.jpg (185KB, 653x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1321.jpg
185KB, 653x479px
What went wrong?
>>
>>95094299
Politics
>>
Its immense popularity made BEING AN ASSHOLE TO EVERYONE super funny until everyone did it IRL.

People now leave a drowning guy in a pond because it's funny, fuck your feelings.
People now laugh at the injured, and at victims of abusive people because it's funny, fuck your feelings.
It actually was not like this ten years ago.

Family Guy was left to edgelord it up trying to remain relevant and is now excruciatingly nasty. At some point shock value just stops.

Unfortunately we've all paid the price for its edgelord humor and it being the most popular show on TV.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Lcez6jRIA
>>
>>95094299
id like to think it was writers having too much power and nobody there to say no
>>
>>95094299

Jokes started to be about being mean to characters for no reason.

It's not even dumb funny shit, it's just like DUDE JOE WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF DUDE MY MARRIAGE IS FAILING DUDE I'M GAY

LMAO
>>
>>95094530

It was this for a few years. Now they know they can do whatever they want and still get away with it, so the thrill is gone.

Theres just no motivation anymore. Like the writers are literally on autopilot.
>>
>>95094533
They really fucked up Joe. He's basically a walking cripple joke at this point.
>>
People thinking it was the most innovative adult comedy ever when really it was just a more explicit retread of every family sitcom since the 60s, but with more pop culture references.

Old Family Guy was pretty good, but nowhere near good enough to the point where it needed to be uncancelled twice, and is still going. The problem isn't Family Guy. The problem is the general population's willingness to settle for it and zombie Simpsons, and giving it enough viewership to continue for this long.

Plus, kids think they're cool if they watch it, for some reason. Which makes no sense, because in my experience, nothing is more uncool than a highschooler who constantly quotes it, or even worse acts like they came up with the jokes. The mid 2000s were a fucking comedy graveyard.
>>
>>95094299
Like The Simpsons, it stayed on way too long past its prime.
>>
>>95094608
>The mid 2000's were a fucking comedy graveyard
At least we had King of The Hill
>>
File: 1504183563140.jpg (88KB, 553x674px) Image search: [Google]
1504183563140.jpg
88KB, 553x674px
>>95094586
>Walking
>>
File: IMG_2663.jpg (85KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2663.jpg
85KB, 1024x640px
It went from being a cartoon sitcom to just a cartoon.
>>
>>95094299
It was never good.
>>
>>95094299
They stopped focusing on the growth of the family as characters.

>Peter use to be a father who wanted the best for his children, but accidentally messes up by becoming short sighted by claiming old desires/chances he didn't get to have when their age/young adult.
>Louis is no longer a mother who wanted her kids to grow and became the voice of reason when Peter made a mistake and assist in making new choices to fix things.
>Meg is no longer the teenage girl who wanted to fit into a cliche and do teenager things that got her in trouble and needed advice from her parents to help her over come them.
>Chris is no longer the young boy coming into manhood and who wanted to impress his father.
>Brian is no longer a talented writer trying to find his purpose in life and attempting to do the right thing while trying to obtain fame.
>Stewie stopped trying to kill his mom.
>>
>>95094608
>Plus, kids think they're cool if they watch it, for some reason.

Because it's "adult" by being mean and discussing sex and, most of all, by portraying suffering people as undeserving whiners.

It has created a generation, including our own younger siblings, whose idea of being counterculture is to punch down and hurt people who don't deserve it.

(Most typically minorities/women but plenty of white guys, too. Anyone who can't catch a break is just funny and cartoonish to them.)
>>
>>95094586
>walking
>>
File: quandary_by_penelles.jpg (118KB, 558x624px) Image search: [Google]
quandary_by_penelles.jpg
118KB, 558x624px
>>95094299
Not enough brewie fanservice
>>
Seth MacFarlan just stopped giving a fuck when he realized he was popular enough that he didn't have to put forth effort and people would eat his shit.
>>
Unlike most people, I dropped the show before it was cancelled, because I realized it was trading on lazy stereotypes with very little effort for its comedy. But looking back on the old episodes, I realized that the show was very cartoony and goofy, with the "adult" content just kind of sprinkled in, alongside copious 80s references.

The modern show seems to trade largely on the idea that every character is either a sociopath or a pathetic loser, unworthy of pity or kindness, and half the jokes are outright racist, not even doing anything clever with the stereotypes. Leaving aside the moral implications of this, it means that it is impossible to tell actual stories with these characters, because they have no motivations beyond pure caprice or sadistic malice. So since nothing matters, the show is essentially a bunch of skits starring disjointed weirdos with nothing resembling an actual personality, and the comedy has to come from uncomfortably graphic "cartoon" violence and mockery of human suffering. And like I've said before, if you're going to be cruel, you have to be extra funny, and the writers just aren't good enough to pull that off.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.