[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flight of Dragons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: flight of dragons.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
flight of dragons.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
name a better masterpiece than this? This had the best voice casting of any animated move ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC2P7QYjaE

This movie is glorious and /co/ doesn't love it enough
>>
>>95078498
>is it true, did they stone you? well, me an Gorebash will go and devour them

based dragons
>>
>>95078498

I'd like to know the real story behind the production of this.

The title is taken from a then-popular book about dragons that describes them as if they were real creatures; it's similar the Gnomes book that provided the inspiration for The World of David Gnome.

That's where the sequences about dragons needing hoards and how they fly because of a chemical reaction that produces gas come from. The main character was also named after the author of that book.

But the overwhelming majority of the plot and almost all of the characters besides the main character, the other wizards beside Carolinus, and Melusine come from The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson.

Did Rankin-Bass buy the rights to the first book because they thought it could be successfully adapted the way Gnomes had been only to buy the plot of The Dragon and George when it proved insufficient for an actual story?
>>
>>95079016
I never read the book, how similar is it?
>>
also, I couldn't believe the amount of sex talk in this movie. really gets me these days
>>
samefaging cause watching it now and no one else cares.

>huge, terrifying, with two mad eyes where three once were

still bone chilling
>>
>>95079222
I care, but I think those fucking weasel things were scarier.
>>
>>95079242
you mean the wurms?
>>
File: Ommadon.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ommadon.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>95079063

I haven't read Flight of Dragons but from what I can tell the references to that book were limited to just that handful of scenes I mentioned earlier.

The Ogre of Gormley Keep, the wolf, the knight, Carolinus, the Loathly Tower, the female archer, the wyrm, and all of the dragons are from The Dragon and George, which I have read. The film is sort of a cliffnotes version of it with a few changes; in the book, the main character, Jim, is a college student who works for a guy that is more or less an unethical Peter Venkman who hypnotizes Jim's girlfriend and winds up sending her into a magical universe. He does the same to Jim to try and rescue Angie but winds up sending Jim's mind into a young dragon named Gorbash.

Ommadon is pretty much a stand-in for the Dark Powers from the Dragon Knight series; they're basically a force that tries to push the world out of balance either in favor of History or Chaos.

The former would make a world that falls into pure stagnation and stasis while the latter would make a world where all science and logic collapse. Either way works for the Dark Powers.

Really, what happens in the movie pretty much would have boned the world in the book; denying magic in favor of science enough to kill Ommadon, let alone separating the all of magic from the world, would have empowered History enough to damage the entire fabric of reality.

Other wizards were introduced later in the series that kinda match the other three to some extent but the second book didn't come out until about a decade after the film
>>
>>95079252
Yes, and I think bringing wolves back from the dead to help you is definitely cheating.
>>
>>95079320
hmm, should I read The Dragon and George? I am not sure if I should cause Flight of Dragons is my favorite movie bar none, and I'm not sure I should cloud that. The ending where denying magic is kinda lame but at least it leaves a few things open with "a kiss is magic" etc.

>>95079322
they do anything with magic in this, bringing a wolf back from the dead is the least of the mcguffins

fuck...I'm at Smergals death right now...god this is tragic
>>
>>95079360

It's pretty solid and not that long of a book; while it's clearly based on the book, there are enough differences that I don't think it'd hurt your image of Flight of Dragons if you read it.
>>
>>95079387
cool, will check it out then. When I say this is my favorite all time movie I am not exaggerating, I watch it a few times a year and it just doesn't let me down. I love the fantasy vrs science theme and it elevates both in a way that few other writers can.
>>
now at this point, fuck such a great speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkeoqVP4N9g

James Earl Jones brings his A game here
>>
Man, watching the wibbly wobbly VHS recordings of this on Youtube brings back childhood feelings.

I found a nice arrangement of the main theme - it's awesome to hear it in such clarity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxhDBWgExM
>>
>>95080014
oh wow, OP here and thank you very much. I never heard this version. So much better
>>
File: 14858108937530.jpg (270KB, 1570x1004px) Image search: [Google]
14858108937530.jpg
270KB, 1570x1004px
>>95078498
Well, someone stll care, if i'm not mistaken, there were a kickstarter company for remaking it, but Universal got them down.
BTW plot is basicly DnD oneshot
>>
>>95080182
>BTW plot is basicly DnD oneshot
it is but it isn't. I wanted to run this as a one shot for a while but I could never figure out how to bring in the nuances that the show does. You need some science vrs magic for it to be a proper omage.
>>
File: 01.jpg (370KB, 1570x990px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
370KB, 1570x990px
>>95080182
Without that ugly sig at the bottom
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.