[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it like watching this show as a kid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 53

File: sonicsatam_7459.jpg (191KB, 330x400px) Image search: [Google]
sonicsatam_7459.jpg
191KB, 330x400px
I think I only caught like one or two episodes that I don't remember well.
>>
>>95069789
It was pretty great. There were some forgettable episodes but it was well done. Archie Comics are GOAT thought aside when Penders took over
>>
>>95069789
It was exciting. And also misleading. The show seemed dramatic and cool but rewatching it I can safely say writing is just fucking terrible, and Sonic's powers resolved basically every problem whenever they fucking feel like it, and so anticlimactically.
>>
>>95069789
I always thought SatAm was pretty boring. The whole show doesn't even represent the games that much, like why did they give it a darker a edgy tone? Like I know the games have some dark elements to it like the animals are stuck inside the robots. But this is taking it a step to futher and the whole Freedom Fighter shit was terrible. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was more enjoyable. Sonic Boom is the only good Sonic cartoon we have.
>>
I kind of appreciate it a little more as an adult, but I actually hated this show as a kid and found it too depressing. I loved Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but SatAM was too dark and bleak for my tastes back then. I enjoyed these characters more during the issues of Archie Sonic that were out at the time, that may have used SatAM's characters but had a tone much more akin to AoStH.
>>
>>95070065
>Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was more enjoyable.
>>95070756
>I loved Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

You need to watch Nostalgia Critic's review of the Sonic cartoons to remind yourselves why SatAM is superior to the lolrandumb humor of that trashy meme machine AoStH.
>>
>>95069789
The show and Sonic in general was huge at the time. Sonic was bigger than any current show on CN, Nick, or Disney, yet it lacked enough merchandise during the period. Myself and other kids at school used to eat the fruit roll-ups, and a bunch of kids came to school on Halloween dressed as Sonic.

It's kinda criminal how Sega handled Sonic at the time, because the cartoon was huge.
>>
>>95070883
>the nostalgia nigger is the sole arbiter of taste and spoonfeeds me all of my terrible opinons
forget reddit, go back to a youtube comment section.
>>
>>95069789
I watched this so religiously as a kid I trained myself to wake myself up, without an alarm, at very specific times. Every Saturday morning I'd try to focus on getting up at exactly 7:00am so I could catch this as soon as it started. It became a game to me, trying to sleep up until the very last minute, mainly because the shows before it (Free Willy, later Cro) weren't interesting to me at all and I resented having to sit through them to watch Sonic. It got to the point where I'd wake myself up at 6:50am or 6:55am, only to fall back to sleep and wake up just as the opening credits for Sonic started. To this very day, I am incredibly good at setting my internal clock and waking myself up at a specific time (within a few minutes) in the morning if I focus on it.

As far as actually watching it. I enjoyed the hell out of it. It might have been the first cartoon where I really cared about the individual characters. I also started getting the comic delivered to me in the mail from the very first issue, and like a lot of Deviant Art kids these days I started drawing Sonic in my sketch pad. Luckily I grew out of it before it went into full OC do not steal mode. I can't watch the opening without a tremendous surge of nostalgia. That about covers it I think.
>>
>>95070883
>nostalgia critic
>valid source
kill yourself
>>
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was okay, but it did feel at the time like the wacky joke version of SatAM. Maybe I had shit taste as a kid, maybe not. I barely remember either one of them.

Come to think of it, while I have a lot of trouble remembering specific episodes of SatAM (I remember the comics better), I can still remember the details of AoStH, such as the SSSSS Squad, and the plots of a few episodes. I don't know if that's because I saw it more often since it played on weekdays before I walked to school, or if SatAM was just more forgettable.
>>
File: Sonic_Sonic_SatAM.jpg (52KB, 707x563px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Sonic_SatAM.jpg
52KB, 707x563px
>>95069789

It was among the best cartoons on TV at the time. It's still one of my all-time favorites, and the only version of Sonic I'm familiar with since I never bothered with the games for some reason.
>>
>>95069789
Honestly I think I only liked it because of the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jd0UWGPgY

I don't remember anything else about it. I tried watching it again and it is just awful.
>>
>>95070883
It is a sad fucking state of affairs when Youtube e-celebs are cited as authorities on anything.
>>
>>95071798
>I never bothered with the games for some reason.
Between emulation and repackaged collections, this is inexcusable. Don't be one of those people who are weirdly pleased with themselves for what they HAVEN'T experienced.
>>
>>95070883
They're both trash. Sonic Boom is the only good Sonic cartoon.
>>
>>95072098
I wouldn't bother with anything past to 3+S&K though. Well, maybe 3D Blast. And Spinball. And Sonic CD but that's it. Was Triple Trouble any good? I never actually got to play it.
>>
As a kid I was super hyped up for the show prior to it's release (especially since I was starved for video game related cartoons at the time; Captain N and the Super Mario cartoons were either canceled or forgotten by that point and Megaman was a few years away...)

In hindsight, though I think I was a little disappointed that the rest of the show wasn't as hype as the opening. I didn't enjoy Sonic and Sally bickering the way they did and for all the cool episodes (like Sonic meeting his roboticized uncle, the episode where Sally was replaced by a robot duplicate, etc.) there were ones I thought were just dumb or didn't go anywhere (I remember refusing to watch the episode where Sonic's speed is taken away when it re-ran cause I hated "Hero Loses powers" plotlines at the time.)
>>
File: 1504060260605.gif (443KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1504060260605.gif
443KB, 480x238px
>>95072103
At least you didn't say Underground.
>>
This and the comics really freaked me out as a kid, in a good way. I thought it was horrifying that there were maybe twenty real people in the world, and everyone else was in a metal strait jacket forever, and if this guy CAUGHT those twenty people, that would be it, over, forever.

Like a game of freeze tag that never ends.

It was my first brush with existential horror and I'll always love it for that.
>>
I enjoyed it at the time. And this is still my favorite Robotnik, solely because Jim Cummings was the only one to actually make Robotnik menacing IMO.
>>
>>95072138
>Recommending 3D Blast and Spinball over Sonic Mania
What's wrong with you?
>>
>>95069789
It was cool, but I feel like it could've worked without the Freedom Fighters, and just been Sonic and Tails fighting Robotnik like AoStH, but with a darker tone and more stakes on the line
>>
File: No Fun.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
No Fun.png
361KB, 512x512px
>>95069789
I remember wishing Swatbots were in the games, and for some reason thinking they were in Sonic CD since I couldn't play it.
>>
SNIVLEY... WHAT COLOR IS MY HEART?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-FxbJ8g1k
>>
>>95072445
Fucked up on a whole other level.
>>
>>95069789
it was absolutely famous, this legend on the playground. I never once caught it on TV, had no idea when or what channel. all I ever caught was the stupid cartoony one. I read some of the archie comics so I knew some of the story
in retrospect it was godawful. sonic doesn't need anything beyond what was in the pre-Adventure games. An interesting, fleshed-out world, a simple villain with clear motives and methods..
>>
>>95069789

It wasn't the darkest or most lore heavy network cartoon of the time since Pirates of Dark Water had aired just a bit before it rolled around but it was definitely strange watching something with those elements when video game adaptations had overwhelmingly been super light-hearted affairs up until that time.
>>
>>95069789
I enjoyed watching it on the USA: ACTION EXTREME TEAM!, along with Ruby Spears Megaman on another channel. Loved it as a kid but it's not perfect.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
Loved it. Still do. Still fucking annoyed it got cancelled after that cliffhanger. I honestly don't think it's too edgy or dark, at least when compared to other grimdark shit. Robotnik was a pretty good villain, and it was interesting to see a cartoon world where the bad guy pretty much won for a change.

It sure as hell ain't perfect, though. While Sonic's usual 90s kid attitude kept it from being too edgy, at the same time it felt like he was a character from a completely different cartoon thrown into this one. Tails was fucking wasted, and should've been every bit the technical wunderkind he is in the games.

And why the hell did they call Sonic the leader of the Freedom Fighters? I don't recall that dunce giving anyone an order or forming a plan. If anyone, Sally is the leader. She pretty much points Sonic where the evil is like a chili dog eating torpedo, anyway.
>>
As a kid I liked it a lot but as an adult I kinda ...don't.
>>
>>95073171
Yeah, looking back I feel like they should have dropped Rotor as a character and had Tails do everything he did, plus be Sonic's kid sidekick. And I thought Sally WAS the official leader of the Freedom Fighters? Or was that the comic book?
>>
Would the OVA end up being a good series, or would it end up trash once it went to TV
>>
>>95070883
>You need to watch Nostalgia Critic's
Stopped reading there, learn to think for yourself you sheep
>>
>>95070883

The thing is, the Nostalgia Critic hating that show was just part of the bit, it his characters opinion. Doug himself actually really likes the show in how bizarre it was.
>>
>>95069789

I'm 32 and not really a Sonic fan anymore. I grew out of it around 13/14? Used to read the comics as a kid but yeeeah, I just lost interest. Now as an adult I liked what I saw of the Ian Flynn comics storytimed here but again, I'm not big on Sonic anymore.

That said, SaTam (the fuck was the acronym again?) was my jam as a kid. I loved the fuck out of this cartoon and was eternally mad that we never got a Season 3. I remember trying to figure out who the red eyes belonged to for years before just giving up.

It definitely hasn't aged well at all, but I do get nostalgic feels when I see the opening.
>>
File: Naugus_eyes.png (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Naugus_eyes.png
43KB, 480x360px
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 210x240px
>>95073782
Explain.
>>
>>95073782
I don't think Snively was alone...
>>
>>95072138
Mania is worthwhile. And I personally liked all the Master System/Game Gear mainline Sonics, Triple Trouble possibly being the best.
>>
File: 1504407972741.jpg (13KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1504407972741.jpg
13KB, 210x240px
>>95073782
>>95073810
>>
>>95073810

Probably was supposed to be Metal Sonic but the guy fucked up the interview.
>>
File: 1374019524923.png (255KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1374019524923.png
255KB, 354x367px
>>95073782
>>95073967
It's for the best SatAM ended there. Everyone I knew thought it was Knuckles. Why wasn't it fucking Knuckles?
>>
>>95073958
Do you think Triple Trouble is better than Sonic 3 + Sonic and Knuckles? Because I've always considered that one my peak Sonic enjoyment. It also had the best music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoMQg3d5cs
>>
File: Sonic_Gems_300.jpg (58KB, 537x376px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Gems_300.jpg
58KB, 537x376px
>>95073967
Is Ixis Naugas based on the giant creature in the background?

I can't help but think he was meant to be the original villain, but thought it was a bit much and decided to make it Eggman.
>>
File: Sonic-Triple-Trouble-US-Boxart.png (888KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Triple-Trouble-US-Boxart.png
888KB, 490x684px
>>95074070
>Do you think Triple Trouble is better than Sonic 3 + Sonic and Knuckles?
As much as I dearly love TT, no, S3K is the pinnacle of the series. It's just so good and everything is so damn polished.

Triple Trouble is still a blast though, and Nack is still one of my favorite characters.
>>
>>95074043
Well, I suppose they couldn't think of a better way to add Knuckles considering he's from a floating island that guards the Master Emerald.

It wouldn't make all that much sense for him to be a villain despite being an antagonist considering he was mislead.
>>
>>95074181
>Nack the Wolfweasel.

>Fang de Sniparu

>Wolf

He doesn't look like either animal.
>>
>>95074183
>I suppose they couldn't think of a better way to add Knuckles considering he's from a floating island that guards the Master Emerald.
Anon, I promise you. The TV writers were not all that concerned about canon. In fact, Knuckles probably wasn't EVER going to be introduced because the mindset of the era was "video games are for children, so let's write whatever the fuck we want."
>>
>>95070979
>yet it lacked enough merchandise during the period.
This is so true. I wanted action figures so bad and all I had were the shitty happy meal toys. They got a lot of use though.
>>
>>95070065
>I always thought SatAm was pretty boring.
This.

My first exposure as a small child was VHS tapes that had both Adventures and SatAM. The SatAM episodes were filled with frustrating contrivances even for a kid to swallow and a lot of filler to pad the runtime.
>>
File: Echidna.jpg (115KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
Echidna.jpg
115KB, 600x459px
>>95074238
Where are you getting "Wolfweasel" from? In the manual it was just "Nack the Weasel."

Besides, Sega has never really invested much effort into making them look like their intended animals.
>>
>>95074248
>In fact, Knuckles probably wasn't EVER going to be introduced because the mindset of the era was "video games are for children, so let's write whatever the fuck we want."

Actually, I think it had more to do with what they thought what post Sonic 2 was like for them. In that they were more interested in what they normally do as opposed to some one off story that is their time on Angel Island.

But, then again we still get to see him in Underground, but that show takes substantial liberties.
>>
>>95074329
>but that show takes substantial liberties.
I don't think SatAM directly referenced Sonic 2 at all, honestly. The only thing the writers took from games was Sonic, Tails, and a bad man named Robotnik. They didn't care about zones or events or anything as they happened.

In all likelihood they were just handed explanations of these established characters and never looked back.
>>
>>95074304
>Where are you getting "Wolfweasel" from? In the manual it was just "Nack the Weasel."

Oops, I meant in the Japanese manual.

>Besides, Sega has never really invested much effort into making them look like their intended animals.

I can see where you're coming from. But, still. For me the issue with Nack is his shape of his ears and the length of his tale. In the end it makes me look like some funky looking kangaroo.
>>
>>95074404
He very much looks like an aussie too. A kangaroo would have been perfect.
>>
>>95071727
>>95072034
>Was SatAM just forgettable?

Yes.
Several episodes are stock plots, some plots are straight up repeated between episodes (the finale of season 1 and opener of season 2 are THE SAME STORY), the samey, dark color pallet makes scenes generally unmemorable, and since the status quo doesn't really change or go anywhere and none of the characters actually develop and rarely get episodes about themselves there's nothing to leave an impact.

The episode of AoSTH where Sonic is frozen and Tails has to save him stands out because it's a variation on the norm using a character who's been well established. The occasional Rotor and Antoine episodes don't stick because they learn nothing, barely do anything, and don't have well established characterization in the first place.

>>95074238
He's actually not a weasel. He's a wolf and a very specific, weird ass little rodent I don't remember the name of.
>>
>>95073577
Doug's Real Thoughts is more enjoyable than the Nostalgia Critic itself IMO
>>
>>95074523
>the samey, dark color pallet makes scenes generally unmemorable
See, this is why you're wrong: it was different from every other show at the time. The dark plot may not have been PREFERABLE to you, but when held up to other cartoons of the era, there's really nothing like it.
>>
>>95074523
>The occasional Rotor and Antoine episodes don't stick because they learn nothing, barely do anything, and don't have well established characterization in the first place.
This I agree with. The side characters were very specific one-note gags who could have been so much better if they weren't so under used and under developed.

I liked Antoine and it pains me to admit there really wasn't a good reason for it.
>>
File: Tails.png (419KB, 813x982px) Image search: [Google]
Tails.png
419KB, 813x982px
I rented a tape of SatAM from Blockbuster in about 2001. I was 6, I was very into the Genesis Sonic games at the time, and had played Sonic Adventure at a family member's house.
I loved Tails. He was my favorite to play as, and remains my favorite Sonic character to this day, so my experience was basically this:

"Where's Tails? Who are these other guys? Oh, there's Tails! Oh, now he's gone. Are they gonna come back for him?"
And they never did come back for him. And the next episode didn't even fucking have Tails. Next time, I rented an AOSTH tape instead, and had a much better time.
>>
File: hmmmm.png (72KB, 184x211px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.png
72KB, 184x211px
>>95074779
Now that you mention it, SatAM did kind of keep Tails on the sideline. I wonder if that was just because they knew AOSTH was being made alongside their show, and they didn't want to tread the same ground or something. Him just being a little kid who stayed in their safe little town is decidedly not how the games do things.
>>
>>95074779
>>95074879
Yes. Instead of Sonic and Tails being the main characters, it was more along the lines of Sonic and Sally being the main characters and then everyone else.
>>
>>95074602
I wish I was absentminded enough to read something this straightforward and misinterpret it as "IT'S DARK I DON'T LIKE THAT REEEEE."

The point was that individual scenes within the show are not usually distinct unto themselves in any way. Everything is perpetually muddy brown, green and blue-gray, so scenes don't stick out in your mind visually when compared. They tend to run together, making them more forgettable.

The show itself sticks out compared to contemporary cartoons, but the scenes within the episodes don't. It's why people tend to remember that one episode with the air current geysers: it has brighter oranges and browns, which makes it stand out from the other scenes in the show.

AoSTH has the opposite problem, where scenes are often a ton of different colors all at once with little choreography, making it harder to create association.
>>
File: 1490284254296.png (171KB, 244x357px) Image search: [Google]
1490284254296.png
171KB, 244x357px
Dulcy was forced as hell
>>
>>95075339
I have the biggest, most biased nostalgia boner for SatAM and even I found Dulcy grating. I think I'd mostly repressed her existence from my memory until you brought her up.
>>
File: 1442210389808.jpg (38KB, 298x244px) Image search: [Google]
1442210389808.jpg
38KB, 298x244px
>>95075481
Nobody liked Dulcy, ever. Her design is among the worst a "dragon" ever had. And her gimmick was to fly into a wall and go "DUUUH WHY ROOM SPINNING?"
A+++ character. Instant classic.
>>
>>95075339
>Dulcy was forced as hell
So forced that she wasn't even given an episode that introduced her, she just popped up and everyone knew her, like she was always there.
>>
>>95071727
Sonic The Hedgehog, he's so fast that you can't see. Sonic The Hedgehog likes to keep Mobious free. Teenage hedgehog on the run, eatin' chili dogs by the ton
>>
>>95075339
>>95075481
>>95075569
>>95075668
Didn't they redesign Dulcy in the post-reboot comics?
>>
>>95069789
It felt really tense and unexpectedly dark. The whole "if you get caught you lose your humanity and you're a robot with no hope of ever turning back FOREVER" was scary as fuck. Of course that was never gonna happen to the main cast, but ya know being a kid...

I was a Tails fan, so I wasn't a huge on this show. I would tune in hoping he'd show up and he almost never did or if he did it was for a scene or 2. It took him a long time to become relevant and by the time they remembered that "Hey, this character is actually in the games and we should make him NOT useless and a more prominent figure" the show ended.

I came back to this show as an adult though and I was surprised at how bad it was. Maybe it's just me, but Sally is so unlikeable. Her and Sonic's interactions are incredibly annoying, it's the worst part of the show.
>>
>>95076304
Hell if I know. That reboot was like the quintessence of the Antichrist.
>>
File: dulcy redesign.png (1MB, 741x1056px) Image search: [Google]
dulcy redesign.png
1MB, 741x1056px
>>95076304
Yeah. I guess this is more Sega-friendly than her original design, but I can't fathom why they'd bother to bring her back at all.
>>
>>95076345
>but I can't fathom why they'd bother to bring her back at all.
Reference points. Archie, or more specifically, Ian Flynn, made a hobby of seeing how many elements he could weave into Archie's collage of Sonic history.
>>
>>95076345
Probably because as a SatAM character she was one of the very few non-Sega characters Archie could still use without fear of someone else pulling a Penders.

It's important to remember that they didn't just pull Penders's donut steels post-Genesis Wave, they got rid of every character that wasn't created by Sega or DiC specifically for that reason.
>>
>>95076314
Yeah, the show didn't age well. I loved it as a kid but watching it as an adult I had to face the fact that it's not a very good show.

I do still like the general idea of it, even if I think the execution was lacking.
>>
>>95074120
I really doubt the DiC people had access to that old concept art
>>
Sonic has so many iterations, does Sonic have a Canon multiverse?
>>
>>95076392
They weren't struggling for characters post-reboot. They had no qualms about designing their own characters from the ground up. See: Eggman's Egg Army. I think only 2 characters out of that whole bunch existed previously.
>>
>>95076955
No, there is absolutely no master canon. Archie tried their hand at combining as many games and shows as it could, but the pieces do not fit without some rearranging.
>>
File: 1503381214125.jpg (35KB, 640x459px) Image search: [Google]
1503381214125.jpg
35KB, 640x459px
>>95069789
>What was it like watching this show as a kid?
I don't want to think about it.
Those were dark times in my life.
>>
I first watched it as an adult. Three things about it that blew me away:

-How much plot they can cram into half an hour, and what a good action cartoon they can make
-what a great fucking cast it has, Robotic and Bunnies are the standouts
-Sonic and Sally are the best TV couple ever. They are an unbelievably well written and likable pair of characters. Theirs is how you do romance in a story.
>>
>>95076955
>>95077131
Games are the only canon as far as Sonic Team is concerned, the rest are just marketing instruments
>>
File: Robotnik SATAM concept.jpg (361KB, 1280x986px) Image search: [Google]
Robotnik SATAM concept.jpg
361KB, 1280x986px
Just imagine.
>>
>>95076345
She only appeared on that issue, right?
>>
>>95077440
What shit were they cracking?
>>
>>95070883
No actually, I don't need some washed up hipster faggot to tell me why my opinion is wrong and his is better because "x arbitrary reason".
>>
>>95069961
>nd Sonic's powers resolved basically every problem whenever they fucking feel like it, and so anticlimactically.
and yet, that was nothing compared to every capshit cartoon and comic ever.
>>
File: tumblr_n68l1aKehZ1sxudx7o1_1280.jpg (386KB, 1280x988px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n68l1aKehZ1sxudx7o1_1280.jpg
386KB, 1280x988px
>>95071727
I'd argue that AoStH was a lot more memorable. It had less recurring characters to keep track of, characters that looked like they actually belonged in Sonic's world and weren't weird dragons or Robotnik's nephew or some other weird concept that had nothing to do with the games. The actual setting was a lot more bright and colorful than SATAM, more evocative of the Genesis games.
>>
File: Meeko_and_Flit_Jawdrop.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Meeko_and_Flit_Jawdrop.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
>>95077440
What? Did someone tell Don Bluth to draw a villain at gunpoint?
>>
>>95070883
This has to be bait
>>
>>95069789
I remember really liking it I think. Also a pretty great intro.
>>
File: mystery2.jpg (81KB, 796x628px) Image search: [Google]
mystery2.jpg
81KB, 796x628px
>>95077601
Seeing some of the other early concept art suggests that it wasn't even supposed to be a Sonic cartoon. They were probably trying to do their own thing, some executive noticed that the bare idea of a bunch of plucky characters trying to stop an evil scientist/dictator from turning shit into robots sounded similar to Sonic, and it became a tie-in series in order to maximize profits from brand appeal.
>>
File: robot-eggman.jpg (115KB, 1017x664px) Image search: [Google]
robot-eggman.jpg
115KB, 1017x664px
>>
>>95075339
>mfw there was an arc in Archie Sonic dedicated to Dulcy going through domestic abuse
>>
>>
File: Sallyacornearlydesign.jpg (410KB, 1234x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Sallyacornearlydesign.jpg
410KB, 1234x1600px
>>
I felt Adventures was more time-appropriate. Comedy cartoons were pretty much standard back in my day. We had the Nicktoons, Animaniacs, whatever else was on Fox Kids. I remember thinking that Sonic would appear on Tiny Toons somehow.

i also still find it pretty cool that Man of the Year was animated by TMS
>>
>>95078539
Didn't TMS also animate Sonic X?
>>
>>95078516
Shit I remember that. Didn't the humans start that fight for some reason?

Been reading through the archie series for the hell of it lately. I'm now firmly in the Penders era and boy does it show. The fuck is up with those encidna anyway?
>>
>>95078096
Maybe so. But it's really noticeable here. They build up some threat, and even Sonic seems intimidated by it. But suddenly LOL NOPE and Sonic does some improbable shit like run along the ceiling or tunnel through solid rock and presto, situation resolved. There's really no reason for the supporting cast to be there at all, except for Sonic to save them.
>>
File: 1405731079011.png (328KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1405731079011.png
328KB, 500x600px
>>95078516
>>mfw there was an arc in Archie Sonic dedicated to Dulcy going through domestic abuse
>>
>>95078530
>Okay, we've narrowed the designs down to Space Ace or Dragon's Lair
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-08-11-16h41m59s610.png (274KB, 560x416px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-08-11-16h41m59s610.png
274KB, 560x416px
>>95070065
>Sonic Boom is the only good Sonic cartoon we have.
That's not the OVA
>>
>>95078681
I really wish there was more of it.
>>
>>95078596
>>95078660
I don't remember too much of the specifics but Dulcy had an abusive dragon boyfriend named Zan. He was killed by G.U.N. later on
>>
>>95078497
Porker Lewis can't lose, anon.
>>
>>95078516
What? Wow, even I don't have a hateboner that big for Dulcy.
>>
File: 1503468116717.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1503468116717.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
>>95070883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7kHapncTTY
>>
File: 1358849658340.png (12KB, 171x150px) Image search: [Google]
1358849658340.png
12KB, 171x150px
>>95079022
>one of the writers might have hated the character so much they decided to concoct a domestic abuse storyline purely out of spite
>>
File: 02v.png (88KB, 201x202px) Image search: [Google]
02v.png
88KB, 201x202px
>there are "people" that genuinely prefer edgy grimdark sanic over this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2onG9ZXvU
>>
>>95079281

Looking back, Bollers wrote both parts of that story.

Wasn't he the one responsible for the more soap opera aspects of the comic?
>>
>>95079355
Scratch and Grounder a best.
>>
>>95069789
Static antenna reception. We only had 3 channels. Fox, CBS, PBS, and very rarely NBC.

Sonic was on NBC. And of course, as a kid I didn't get to pick the tv channel.
I only vaguely remember Sonic finding out his dad was a robot.
>>
>>95079368
I don't know. Penders still penned pointless shit like that sleepover issue.
>>
>>95079355
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wE2dVQBXe0

This is unedited from the Sonic Jam compilation. Even the Japs think AoStH's style fits the series more.
>>
File: Newrobotnikbase.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Newrobotnikbase.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
>>95079417
>Robotnik's base even features a giant solid gold statue of himself
>>
>>95069789
Both of those shows were responsible for turning the Sonic fan base into the tire fire it is today. Satam cultivated the edgy furfags that want Sonic to be super serious mellow drama, while Adventures is where 99% of the fetish shit came from, there was constantly inflation or diaper shit in Adventure. You could probably make a case for Underground popularizing donut steels too.
>>
>>95079596
None of that shit started until we got to the Adventure era though. You didn't see kids making OCs based on oldschool American Sonic. If you're gonna complain about cartoon gags like getting dressed in a diaper or getting inflated like a balloon being fetishes in AoStH, then you have to say they were fetishes in fucking Looney Tunes too.

People don't want Sonic to be edgy because of SATAM, they want it to be edgy because they have no taste and enjoyed Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, and even Sonic 06. Kids who had autism in the early 2000s latched onto Sonic, like the kids who had autism in the the late 2000s latched onto Naruto, and the kids who have autism now latch onto Steven Universe.
>>
>>95079653
There is no inflation in looney tunes, the worst that it gets is cross dressing. And yes people do want Sanic to be edgy because of Satam. Just look at Richard Kuta, he despises modern Sonic and threw the original blue arms rant but because of Satam he thinks Sonic should be edgy.
>>
File: 1401731400784.png (385KB, 511x601px) Image search: [Google]
1401731400784.png
385KB, 511x601px
>>95079653
>You didn't see kids making OCs based on oldschool American Sonic.
Anon. The magic of the internet hadn't infiltrated most homes by then. It is not remotely fair to make this comparison.
>>
>>95079846
SatAM Sonic and AoStH was early 90s. Dial Up became popular mid to late 90s. So plenty of people were rocking that AOL around then. I spent some time in those chat rooms myself as a lad. There was plenty of weird shit to get into, trust me. Unless by magic of the internet you mean fast internet specifically.
>>
>>95079914
Even so. Deviant Art didn't exist by then. And reliable search engines CERTAINLY didn't. So saying you would have even known where to look for a large collection of Sonic fan characters is optimistic on your behalf.
>>
>>95079846
It isn't?
>It's AoStH's fault Sonic fans have degenerate fetishes!
>I guess that's why they usually draw their fetishes with modern era characters and not the old ones they saw on TV, right?
>THAT'S NOT A FAIR OBSERVATION!
>>
File: 1474554537803.jpg (50KB, 499x361px) Image search: [Google]
1474554537803.jpg
50KB, 499x361px
>>95079941
Are you having fun? Having a conversation with yourself over purely hypothetical situations you yourself have invented?

If you search _____ the hedgehog, are you only going to get Shadow and Silver recolors? No, you damnable idiot. Sonic, that titular character of the series, has existed since the first game! And plenty of fans used him as the groundwork for their own fan OC's! Whodathunk?
>>
>>95069890
I remember not liking it because it looked nothing like the games. The bleak aesthetic wasn't even remotely as appealing as the bizarre zone settings, and the badniks were infinitely cooler than the fairly generic Swatbots. And it had all these weird characters I had no reason to care about instead of (an actual useful) Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Metal or even the little animal buddies. Even fucking Sonic the Comic got that much right. It felt like Sonic as if it were written by an adult who had no idea what Sonic even was and had only got a brief gist of it from their kids, which I suppose that's what it is.

I haven't watched it since though, so I dunno. I can like fucking Sonic Boom of all things now, so maybe I can go back and find some appeal in SatAM.
>>
File: hovvy.jpg (14KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
hovvy.jpg
14KB, 288x288px
>>95079982
I don't understand how you're misinterpreting me. All I'm saying is, when it gets down to it, the amount of fetish porn with Scratch and Grounder in it is always gonna be less than the amount of fetish porn involving Shadow the Hedgehog or Big the Cat, because the people that draw that type of shit didn't grow up watching AoStH, like you're insinuating.
>>
File: tiny_animals_translated.jpg (174KB, 1676x412px) Image search: [Google]
tiny_animals_translated.jpg
174KB, 1676x412px
>>95080057
Sonic SatAM and the Fleetway comic both took inspiration from the animal buddies. Fleetway had the pig and the rabbit while SatAM used the walrus, rabbit and squirrel. They both ended up taking the characters pretty far away from their original roots, though.
>>
>>95079442
>Robotnik has a giant, nude statue of himself doing the nazi salute for no fucking reason
This fucking show.
>>
>>95080550
Actually, SatAM had the pig too, as one of the background Knothole villagers. They may have used his name once, I can't remember.
>>
Since the other Sonic cartoon saw a lot more airtime, I remember this version confusing the everloving fuck out of anyone catching it for the first time.
>>
I kept wondering why the show was nothing like the game.
>>
>>95076381
It was one of the biggest problems with his writing.

References, foreshadowing and backstory for its own sake. He had trouble just writing stories that were fun in their own right.
>>
>>95078096
Batman The Animated Series didn't end with Bruce pulling three pieces of Kryptonite out of his ass to beat up Doomsday.

SatAM ends with Sonic acting like he's really intimidated because his single power ring isn't enough...and then suddenly pulling two more literally out of his ass with no explanation or foreshadowing.
>>
>>95079653
>None of that shit started until we got to the Adventure era though. You didn't see kids making OCs based on oldschool American Sonic.
You haven't been there. Traversing the ruins of geocities, I've seen it all. OCs. Edginess. DEEPEST LORE. And their tries to combine all the settings available added so much to the trainwreck, too.
>>
File: Rocket corps.png (536KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket corps.png
536KB, 640x480px
>>95081394
Nothing special to see here, move on.
>>
>>95077112
Hell, one of Eggman's Egg Bosses was a killer whale, not an anthro one, just a whale. He was redesigned later on.
>>
>people actually think Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is better than Satam or Boom
Fucking hell. AoStH was fucking garbage. It was silly without any charm, it was random as fuck and cheap slapstick. The only reason people even remember it is because it's so fucking insane nonsense that is hard to forget. It's fucking bad.
>>
>>95083172
AoSTH's quality varied wildly, but generally it understood key principles of slapstick and animation. Its writing quality was also generally better than SatAM, which is fucking disgraceful considering it was a daily while SatAM was a weekly.
>>
File: here's your (you).png (170KB, 499x336px) Image search: [Google]
here's your (you).png
170KB, 499x336px
>>95083172
>Boom
maybe
>Fagam
lolno

your edgy grimdark furfaggotry shit has no more of a place in sanic than discount Looney Tunes
>>
>>95083172
Seems like Sega of Japan disagrees.
>>95079417
>>
>>95070979
>It's kinda criminal how Sega handled Sonic at the time, because the cartoon was huge.

Yeah, can you imagine the franchise that could have been if SatAM wasn't cancelled?
>>
>>95083728
I'd rather not consider that nightmare scenario.
>>
>>95084395
Found the games fag that never watched SatAM.
>>
>>95084395
>>95083728

It could have changed everything. Like, Sally Acorn in Sonic games kinda stuff.
>>
>>95083728
>>95084705
I think you're overestimating how much Japanese companies actually care about foreign consumers. If the Super Mario World TV series had ran for 12 seasons it still wouldn't have compelled Nintendo to include Oog-Tar the cave boy in the mainline Mario games, or turn Yoshi into a talking character. Sonic as a series was popular, not an individual subsect of it. More kids played the games than watched the TV shows.
>>
File: And that's it.jpg (46KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
And that's it.jpg
46KB, 720x576px
>>95084530
Well excuse me for neglecting some unimportant spin-off games nobody even remembers anymore of a great CARTOON franchise, Sonic the Hedgehog!
>>
>>95084530
>You can't dislike my show unless you've never watched it!

Guess again, faggot.
SatAM's terrible. The writing's bad, the pacing's bad, the sound design is awful, the animation was terribly limited until season 2 and even then the budget wasn't used appropriately, the characters were terribly implemented...it's just a mess.

They were actually considering using a SatAM styled Eggman for Sonic Adventure, and I dread the timeline where they went through with it and we had a creepy robo-armed Robotnik getting shoehorned into Sonic Heroes.
>>
>>95069789
Boring

It aired where I live trying to have 'stakes' but the lax censorship at the time had animu showing in primetime here where characters bled buckets and died for good. SatAM was dead on arrival.
>>
>>95079417
I really wish there was more information on this short and what exactly it was created for.
>>
>>95078731
>>95079022
>>95079281
>>
File: Cuddly Lovable Docile.jpg (63KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Cuddly Lovable Docile.jpg
63KB, 500x333px
>>95079653
>He thinks Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog were actually "edgy" and not just over the top action.
>>
>>95069789

I think this aired about the time when my parents stopped paying for premium channels (CN, Nick, all the stuff from the US - me being british) so all my siblings and I had were the free-to-air channels.

I could hardly determine what the premise of this show was, so it wasn't a whole deal memorable... though I do particularly remember one episode where one female protagonist characters became hypnotised as antagonist for an episode, whatever that trope is called.

Anyway, I eagerly watched it nonetheless for reasons cited earlier.
>>
File: Classic Eggman concept for SA1.jpg (30KB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
Classic Eggman concept for SA1.jpg
30KB, 400x256px
>>95084851
>They were actually considering using a SatAM styled Eggman for Sonic Adventure
Really? I know that Robotnik's design for SA1 was changed almost at the last minute (originally he was supposed to have a sleaker look, but retaining the classic suit with the cape and "walrus tusks" - those still remain on his logos in Adventure era games), but I don't think I've ever heard about them considering the "Julian Robotnik" look.
>>
>>95079914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

Never forget the sound of the world changing forever.
>>
>>95069789
/co/ likes to shit on SatAM because "HURR EDGINESS" but it was pretty good as a kid. It hasn't aged well but it was fun at the time.
>>
>>95079914
>>95079846
>>95079939
One of the first adult fanfics I read on the nascent internet was a Sonic/Sally one, and yeah, it was pretty dark and melodramatic. That said, I don't remember seeing a whole lot of OCs; the early internet fandoms were generally just web shrines and fanfiction about characters from the games/show.

I think partly it was an issue of hardware. Scanners and digital cameras were uncommon back then, and the early internet speeds weren't conducive to art-sharing anyway. But other fandoms found a way. Just look at Gen 1 Pokémon with its "Pokégods," which were basically memetic OCs passed off as real.
>>
>>95085330
There's a part where you watch Gerald Robotnik's final moments and world ultimatum right before he's about to be killed by a fucking firing squad, don't you dare act like they were trying to be tongue in cheek or something.
>>
>>95085415
Yeah, one of the mockups they did was a more "realistic" look with Julian's robo arm. Probably scrapped it early on since it would be harder to model.
>>
>>95083332
>Satam
>edgy
Fuck off.
>>
>>95083351
Saga of Japan also approved of Shadow he Hedgehog, Sonic 06 and those stupid skateboarding racing games. They're not exactly the type of people we should always listen to.
>>
>>95069789
gen x's who wrote a fanfiction because they thought a colourful game wasn't grimdark enough
>>
>>95069789
It was the only cartoon I'd get up early for. Bunnie was my ultra waifu. I've always had a thing for that accent though.
>>
>>95069789

I also just saw a few episodes.. And I wanted to fugg that rabbit
>>
>>95085330
>Shadow the EDGEhog
>muh perfect life form, MURIAH, and muh angsty cartoon character with a fucking gun
>not edgy
Go back to DeviantArt
>>
>>95088275
Neat. Got a pic?
>>
File: Tails_(SatAM).png (2MB, 1410x1073px) Image search: [Google]
Tails_(SatAM).png
2MB, 1410x1073px
Why was he so useless?
>>
File: coco.png (788KB, 741x917px) Image search: [Google]
coco.png
788KB, 741x917px
How would you feel if SEGA or IDM chose AOSTH characters over SATAM ones if they decided to use non-game characters?
I, for one, welcome KoKonatsu
>>
>>95089481
The SSSSSSSSSSSS is great, they'd be welcome.

Wes Wesley, that good scientist, and that bounty hunter girl would be acceptable.

Robotnik Jr. And Mama Robotnik would be unfortunate.
>>
>>95084808

By 'the franchise that could have been' I meant a whole spin-off sonic franchise alongside the games Sonic having more of a presence. If the show never ended, then the comic book characters and any potential toys based on them lost its biggest advertisement. And Sega of America still could have made American canon based games. Everything regarding the SatAM/Archie cannon potentially achieving rested on the TV show staying on air long enough to entrench the brand, like how Transformers and MLP did with its TV show adaptations.
>>
File: 1401847717146.jpg (908KB, 1600x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1401847717146.jpg
908KB, 1600x1234px
>>95089481
Best possible outcome.
>>
File: 1504443951891.jpg (290KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
1504443951891.jpg
290KB, 1280x544px
>>95089481
If it means getting these three back then yes please. Seeing Robotnik's mom come back in some capacity could be amusing, or just more of his family in general. Not really sure about any of the other characters like Breezy or Katella, none of them really felt too Sonic-esque.
>>
>>95069890
>>95069961
>>95070883
Well, I know some people who thinks Satam is crap
:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77cyBBc5dX9zWlqLH6SNnNjpHgRPxvU5
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAaK0A6aFxD80R2xDN55jloiwxIpRW2io

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Annotation_Station/topic/894113/1/&usg=ALkJrhi0XwiDUA1X_9y_zsJNcwWg51oRxQ
>>
>>95087883
Not any worse than the burned Jawa and Luke's family corpses in Star Wars.

>>95089435
>muh edgehog memes
Not an argument. Nothing in Shadow the game is any more edgy than in any other action movie about aliens. Done with cartoon animals, it inadvertently ends up depicted in a less-serious, mocking way.

Only a complete moron would think the game with lines like the DAMN FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD was intended to be serious edge and not a riff of the 90s antihero. What's next, Barney's too scary because it stars dinosaurs?
>>
>>95090413
I know you don't actually think SEGA was trying to parody anti-heroes, you know that they were trying to appeal to what they thought American kids enjoyed, guns and violence. You can stop memeing about what clever satire SEGA is capable of outputting.
>>
>>95090499

The question is now, does SEGA know what they are doing with Infinite in Forces?
>>
>>95090550
More than they did in Shadow.
>>
Antione should have been a girl.

There'll never be a Western Lady Oscar ;_;
>>
>>95090227
I think Breezie can be easily redesigned to fit Sonic
>>
>>95090662
Like in the post-reboot comics?
>>
>>95090742
Yeah, but not ugly this time
>>
>>95090662
If she isn't going to act like a Jessica Rabbit proxy, what's even the point anymore?
>>
>>95090753
She's better looking there than n AOSTH, tbqh
>>
It's da stuff
>>
>>95090413
Man, you almost got me to respond for a second time. I'll say this, I fell for it the first time. Good one.
>>
>>95090758
Eggman's failed attempt at recreating Shadow the hedgehog, but instead of chaos control it's just warp rings. Also later on she's a talk show/casino host.

>>95090792
Yeah but not that far. SEGA would probably do a better job.
>>
>>95090886
>Eggman's failed attempt at recreating Shadow the hedgehog, but instead of chaos control it's just warp rings. Also later on she's a talk show/casino host.
Wait, are you just spitballing or was that really the origin of Archie's Breezie?
>>
>>95091027
I was spitballing, Anon. He was saying what's the point if she wasn't a Jessica Rabbit proxy.
>>
>>95091069
That wasn't quite what I meant. I mean why bother bringing Breezie back if the character wouldn't be the same as she was introduced. I still don't feel like Archie's version even really needed to exist. If IDW wants to bring her back, that's fine, but it really only makes sense if she'd reprise her old role in some form.
>>
>>95091133
I mean, it can work without Sonic developing any feeling for her. The point of Breezie was to trick Sonic into a trap, even with the Jessica Rabbit proxy. The thing is, they would need to have her more fitted for the modern universe, so some of her needs to be altered instead of just modernizing her design.
Suit and pin skirt could work, and I would suggest making her more like a pompous actress.
>>
Make Breezie an alt-chick who wants to out-'tude Sonic, only with the whole thing being a set up.
>>
>>95070883
I don't hate Doug but he isn't a good reviewer
>>
Make Breezie the faker to Amy Rose
>>
>>95073171
>>95073337
Sally was the leader, in both the cartoon and the comic book. Though it wasn't long before the comic retconned it so that Sonic was the leader.
>>
File: 7056_n.jpg (36KB, 509x359px) Image search: [Google]
7056_n.jpg
36KB, 509x359px
>>
>>95086217
>Pokégods

You just unearthed something in the back of my childhood that I wished you hadn't.
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.