[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Jerry the best character on Rick and Morty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

File: Jerry_Smith.png (256KB, 688x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry_Smith.png
256KB, 688x1012px
Is Jerry the best character on Rick and Morty?
>>
File: tenor.gif (975KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
975KB, 400x296px
>>95019554
>>
>>95019554
There are no "good" characters in Rick and Morty. Everyone is flawed and malicious in their own hate fueled way
>>
>>95019554
Wait OP, are YOU Jerry? You are aren't you. Get out of here Jerry you pathetic loser.
>>
>>95019675
that's kinda what makes us human though
>>
If by "best" you mean the only one you can sympathize with, then yes. It used to be Morty but he is rapidly going off the rails.
>>
>>95019781
>only one you can sympathize with
Rick literally explained thats how a predator like Jerry works. How are you still falling for it?
>>
He's a spineless Judus who'd sell out his own mother just to be spared the sweet embrace of death, but I think he's the only one who actually cares even a little about the safety of his children.
>>
>>95019830
>who'd sell out his own mother just to be spared the sweet embrace of death
So would Rick though.
Rick is just a genius and has technology to be able to kill his way out of any situation.
But if forced into that particular situation he would care just as much about self preservation at any cost as Jerry.
>>
>>95019805
And Rick isn't a predator? He hasn't been preying on his entire family the entire time he's been living there? Rick is a gigantic hypocrite. Jerry isn't perfect, but at least he hasn't been responsible for any genocides yet.
>>
>>95019830
>who actually cares even a little about the safety of his children
you must have gone to the bathroom every time Jerry was tasked with protecting his kids. Cause he sold them down the river almost every time for his own safety
>>
File: Dan 2.png (413KB, 662x599px) Image search: [Google]
Dan 2.png
413KB, 662x599px
>>95019805
>Believing Rick
>Not thinking Jerry is the best character
>>
>>95019884
Except that's bullshit, and I can prove it's bullshit. Disregarding them addressing Rick sacrificing himself for Morty directly in the first episode of S2, the last episode we got showcased yet another kind of sacrifice, when Toxic Rick willingly merged with Healthy Rick just to save his Morty. Rick is a selfish, narcissistic, egotistical cunt, but at the end of the day the one thing he and Jerry have in common is that they care about Morty.
>>
>>95019915
Literally when? And don't talk about the comics: different timeline, motherfucker.
>>
>>95019896
>And Rick isn't a predator?
Nobody said that. I simply pointed out that Jerrys natural vibe is luring in retards to lower their guards by pitying him and that anon should stop falling for his shit. its also non canonly canon that when given the chance that Jerry is far more ruthless than rick ever was
>>
>>95019933
>thinking Jerry is the best character
>thinking
I KNOW he isnt. Every episode up till now proves that but keep self inserting as him in hopes that someone will pity you too into a cushy life
>>
File: 084[1].png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
084[1].png
102KB, 300x256px
>>95019987
>non canonly canon
What?
>>
>>95020082
In the comics there was a Jerry who had managed to take over multiple universes and it was implied there was some kind of council of Jerries

He was basically like this huge fuck you I do what I want emperor
>>
>>95020146
I've seen the comic series online, but please enlighten me to this tangent reality.
>>
File: 1503531144319.jpg (31KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
1503531144319.jpg
31KB, 393x393px
>>95019554
Yes, because he actually cares for his family and is trying to think about them.

Unlike that fucking parasite who cares about Rick.
>>
>>95020229
its Doofus Ricks
>>
>>95019805
According to who? A guy who can't fathom any other reason his daughter would be drawn to someone she has control over?
>>
>>95020378
according to the idiots that flock to these threads to suck Jerrys dick out of pity
>>
>>95019554
Define "best"
>>
>>95019830
>>95019884
Incorrect on both fronts. Both Jerry and Rick have demonstrated acceptance of death at one time or another... Rick *does* have a much stronger survival instinct than Jerry, though.
>>
File: Dan.png (359KB, 440x728px) Image search: [Google]
Dan.png
359KB, 440x728px
>>95020032
>keep self inserting as him
I don't self insert as him I self insert as Morty

>I KNOW he isnt. Every episode up till now proves that
Why? How does every episode prove that?

Jerry is a great character, because he:

>Keeps the show grounded he doesn't go on
many wacky adventures thus for the most part of season 1 providing B plots that gave a quick break from craziness.
>Is funny (subjective opinion I know)
>Develops realistically given the situations he's been in.
Look! I'm backing up my claim unlike you.
>>
>>95020688
Fuck I screwed up my spoiler
>>
>>95019554
Anyone who believes this is pathetic because Jerry's pathetic and he has no one else to blame for being pathetic except for himself.
>>
>>95019554
Anyone here just find Rick's dickish antics to be entertaining for the most part at least?
>>
>>95020688
>>Keeps the show grounded he doesn't go on
many wacky adventures thus for the most part of season 1 providing B plots that gave a quick break from craziness.

The exact same thing can be said about Beth and Summer.

>Develops realistically given the situations he's been in.

Jerry is the same person now as he was in season 1 episode 1 he's just in a different situation.

>Look! I'm backing up my claim unlike you.

You're literally not you're just making claims.
>>
>>95019554
No, it's pickle rick
>>
File: 1415065327315.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1415065327315.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>95020991
kinda thought that was the entire point from the start yet now all I see is US vs. THEM with this show as a medium
>>
>>95020526
Jerry may not be a very good person but he's still better than the rest of his miserable family. If I had to be stranded on an island with one of them I'd take Jerry over the rest. There was a time when I would have said Morty but lately I wouldn't trust him not to snap and kill me in my sleep.
>>
>>95020612
Rick, yes. But when has Jerry EVER accepted death? He's talked about killing himself if Beth cheated on him once or twice, but I'd hardly call that 'acceptance.' Wrote the first post, by the way.
>>
Why are people going with that "predator" thing now? No one ever thought of that until Rick brought it up.
>>
>>95021886
We've never called in a 'predator,' per se, but we have pointed out many times that he uses pity as a sort of weapon. I still don't think he intentionally operates as a predator: the universe shits on him so much it's just an unintended side effect.
>>
>>95019554
Jerry is the best chance at happiness Beth has ever had, (see infinite TV episode) insecurities and all. He is ultimately a superior father figure and husband and offers more emotional support than Rick ever did. He's still a shitty person but so are we all.
>>
>>95021918
His cowardice and pitiful nature is no doubt a flaw (most evident when he tried to manipulate Beth into being the bad guy during the penis heart transplant subplot), but in the broader scope of the cast, this is really minor.

Jerry is like... the Tau from WH40K. In a more optimistic universe, both would be antagonistic figures to somr extent or another. But to imply that Jerry is as bad as Rick or Beth would be like comparing the Tau to The Necrons or the Imperium.

Not to mention that Rick's criticisms of Jerry are ridiculously exaggerated and narrow, since he never applies that level of scrutiny to anyone else. If he did then Beth, Summer and even Morty would look like war criminals.
>>
>>95019983
Do you not know what show everyone here is discussing?
>>
>>95022405
Beth remarried and was happy with that jewish guy. See the Jerry daycare episode
>>
>>95021880

When Rick took him on an adventure, he thought Rick was actually taking him away to kill him. He was just going to accept it until Rick explained what he was doing.
>>
>>95019933
Unironically this
>>
>>95022824
He also wanted to die after his butt buddy memory snatcher was killed
>>
File: 1317171907626.png (30KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
1317171907626.png
30KB, 500x419px
>>95019781

>can only sympathize with the pathetic beta characters
>>
>>95022892
the pity predator strikes again!
>>
I think that Rick should've used the word 'parasite' to describe Jerry instead of predator. It would've made more sense. It's show that he has the ability to be a man though. I'm hoping against hope that there's some sort of character arc planned for him (as it's plainly obvious that Beth and Jerry will get back together by the end of the season), however, I think the show is being a bit unfair to him because "le ebil straight white man" as well. But all of the characters are bad people.

Beth - Delusional about her skills as a surgeon (recurring gag that she is just a horse surgeon, not a real one), Is aloof and uncaring when her children need her.

Summer: Passive aggressive bitch

Morty: Wimpy beta pussy.
>>
>>95019554
It's just hard to root against him let alone dislike him when he's voiced by Chris Parnell.

You can't make an uncharismatic character this charismatic and expect people to treat him like he's uncharismatic.
>>
>>95022928
>Is aloof and uncaring when her children need her.
she literally turned her self inside out for Summer
>>
>>95022892
>lol I'm totally rick, that's why everyone hates me it's because I'm a genius
Upvoted
>>
>>95022824
>>95022860
Forgot about these. Alright, point taken.
>>
>>95019805
Jerry's a cowardly schmuck, but I think Rick's the last person who should be trying to gauge another person's morality.
>>
>>95022574

He's ultimately mad at Jerry for knocking up Beth.

No dad likes the slacker loser that knocks up his daughter in highschool when she was well on her way to being in college. Not even if the girl is just as much to blame.
>>
>>95022928

I don't think it's the "evil white man" thing at work so much as the fact that with how absolutely mediocre and unmotivated Jerry is, it's hard to imagine him having ever gotten anything without being a straight white guy.

It's pretty much the only thing he has going for him.
>>
>>95019805
>taking Rick's opinion as gospel
You're doing it wrong

Rick sees Jerry as a predator because he's an asshole who hates the guy that teen-impregnated Rick's daughter
>>
>>95023229
we as viewers have watched the pity party that is Jerry's life this entire time. Rick described him down to the letter. he hasnt changed since episode one.
>>
>>95019554
Jerry's easily the best boy on Rick and Morty!
>>
>>95019554
can you stop watching this dumb show pls? thanks in advance
>>
>>95023349
>we as viewers have watched the pity party that is Jerry's life this entire time.

Which involves roughly zero instances of jerry being a predator and lots of instances of Jerry being the hopelessly out of his depth dope he appears to be.
You, like Rick, just want to believe this dumb shit about Jerry being a predator because projecting nefarious motives onto others is an easy excuse for never sympathizing with another person.
>>
>>95023349
And ever since the first episode he hasn't used pity to try to get people to do stuff for him. He hasn't been able to get people to pity him at all, he's just been all-round pathetic and loathed.
>>
>>95023107
Of course. Rick's hatred for Jerry is perfectly logical within his character. People just make the mistake of viewing Rick as a voice of reason when Rick's own "cynical realism" is really guides guided by emotion, whether he'll admit it or not.
>>95023349
Season 1 Jerry was pitiful done right. His inability to take two strokes off his game, calling Pluto a planet, not knowing how to deal with Snowball, etc. were all his fault and the product of his shortcomings.

After that it slowly turned into "Jerry doesn't want Morty to go off with Rick? Lol what a square". He's still pathetic but a lot of it is out of his control. You could say he's dense for not knowing that he lives in a cosmic horror story, but that isn't his fault. He thinks he lives in reality, just like us. Maybe we live in a cosmic horror story and don't realise it.

Maybe we're all dead and this is hell.
>>
>>95023468
every chance he's gotten at an easier life he sacrificed the one he already made
>>
>normal
>not insane
>learns from his mistakes
>contrary to popular belief most Jerry centric episodes are about him growing a spine
Yes, Jerry is the best character. The only people who genuinely hate him seem to be edgelords with daddy issues.
>>
>>95023651
>normal
Gives his welfare check to dogs and begs his own daughter for money
>not insane
titanic
>learns from his mistakes
and thats why he lost his family
>grows a spine
and then like a lizard discards it when another problem presents itself in hopes of finding shelter
>>
>>95023715
Is your name Not Important?
>>
>>95023715
>Gives his welfare check to dogs
writers being assholes
>begs his own daughter for money
so? what is wrong with that?
>>
>>95023552
>People just make the mistake of viewing Rick as a voice of reason
Proof that /co/ is not mentally mature enough for stories that aren't black and white morality. The need to seek out a 'hero' that tells the audience what to think is stupid.
>>
I dont' think he's the best character, but I think he's definitely underrated.

Another anon gave a stark assessment of Jerry that really opened my eyes to the character. He said, without a doubt, Jerry is the only one on the show who becomes a better person and/or tougher when he's under immense stress. When his life and/or family is on the line, Jerry instantly transforms into a dominant alpha male pack leader, capable of overcoming any/all obstacles.

I decided to think about that for a second and each time there was an obstacle before Jerry, he would suddenly transform and beat/overcome it to protect himself/family.

>Kronenberg reality/world.
Jerry recognizes that other people are suddenly monsters and he becomes an alpha male almost instantaneously to protect his family. By the end of the episode, Beth is all over him and Summer feels protected. She also inherits his 'toughness' persona. In general, Summer exhibits a toughness that her mother lacks. She gets it from her dad, not her mom.

>Meeseeks.
When the Meeseeks finally confront Jerry in the restaurant, Jerry bucks up and finally achieves his goal. He becomes tougher, stronger and even SMARTER when pressure is put on him. The more pressure he's under, the more he thrives.

There are other minor cases to consider too, but generally speaking, Jerry becomes a 'man' when he's faced with unfathomable odds/pressure.

In the episode with Snowball, the ''true'' Jerry doesn't come out because his life isn't immediately threatened (only his masculinity/testicles). Jerry MUST be under life/death circumstances for his true persona to come out.

It made me think about Evil Morty in that context. When Rick hinted that a Morty with too much ego is dangerous, that side of Morty is a direct result of Jerry's true persona. Rick hates Jerry for a variety of reasons, but I also think he hates Jerry because he is well aware of Jerry's true ''persona.'' When ''true Jerry'' comes out, he's essentially the anti-Rick.
>>
>>95019554
I'm sure he is to this group of cucks on /co/.
>>
>>95024639

>Continuing

If you even look into the personalities of the characters, you also arrive at a similar conclusion.

For all intents and purposes, Beth is mentally unstable and arguably quite weak in comparison to her father. When she's under duress, she drowns her sorrows in liquor, cries incessantly or ignores whatever is the root of the stress (See Jerry/Rick adventure episode where she's using parts of dead animals to construct some fucking statue). It's Jerry that provides the backbone and he was the one to pretty much make sure that the family was (relatively) safe, stable and fortunate.

It becomes so obvious how Beth fell for Jerry at that point. Jerry obviously exhibited traits of his 'true persona' at one point and Beth was instantly attracted to that, both sexually and psychologically. It's a latent trait, though; it isn't at the forefront and is only tapped into when he is at his absolute limit. Until he reaches his limit, Jerry will absorb as much embarrassment/shock/humiliation to his character as humanly possible.
>>
>>95019554
Say what you will about Rick but he never actively tried to murder Jerry. You can't say that about Jerry, he wanted to kill Rick. Fuck Jerry.
>>
Wait, Morty and Summer are mad at him because he doesn't put his foot down.

Isn't him taking a stand the thing that put him in this position?

Who writes this?
>>
>>95025024
Hacks
>>
>>95025211
Are the female writers atleast hot enough for me to overlook it?
>>
Morty has always been the best character.
>>
>>95019554
Anyone that finds themself genuinely relating to and empathizing with Jerry is seriously disgusting. That said, as a cartoon character yeah he has his funny moments. Dedicated sad sack characters often do.
>>
>>95025518

The only one that is notably ugly is Carbiener. Not sure how hot they'd have to be to you.
>>
Is reddit the most reddit on reddit REDDIT
>>
1/3 of the US, guys!
>>
How come a divorced man (who didn't really do anything wrong for this) and a guy that broke up with a girl over her body (still unconfirmed) getting worse comeuppance than a nazi and a baby eating aids spreading alien?
>>
>>95026858
Why does a Nazi deserve something bad to happen to them?
>>
>>95019554
what's good about Jerry? He's a cowardly piece of shit. He's not nice, he's dumb, he's a shitty father, and on top of all that he somehow lacks the self awareness to realize why he's a piece of shit.
>>
>>95025024
It's worse in the case of Morty because he's completely aware that Rick went out of his way to ensure Beth and Jerry's divorce and he still blames Jerry.
>>
>>95027230
cause nazis were literally the devil.
Not like communists, and also true communism has never been tried. All failed attempts made by them - including Holodomor, and Gulags - are trivial compared to NAZIS
>>
>>95027370
upvoted ebbin XDXD
>>
>>95019675
what about doofus Rick?
>>
>>95027230
Skulls as your calling card usually places you firmly on the side of non-sympathetic bad guy.
>>
>>95027388
>make an actual coherent argument
>meme retard words
Good pick.
>>
>>95027609
Nazis werent the only ones with skulls, skulls are cool.
>>
>>95027663
who's memeing who at this point? are you actually a commie?
>>
>>95027679
I didn't say they were the only ones, I said it's hard to sympathize with someone wearing a skull.
>>
>>95027789
>who's memeing
>>>>95027388
Enjoy your last (You)
>>
>>95023552
>People just make the mistake of viewing Rick as a voice of reason when Rick's own "cynical realism" is really guides guided by emotion, whether he'll admit it or not.
You're right, but in this case Rick was mostly right - it's more just an unintentional defense mechanism than it is anything active on Jerry's part, although shit like the heroin addiction ploy doesn't help his case.

>>95024639
>I decided to think about that for a second and each time there was an obstacle before Jerry, he would suddenly transform and beat/overcome it to protect himself/family.
I agree for the most part, but what about when he locked himself in the car to escape from the homeless man, leaving Beth outside it?
>>
>>95027342
I don't doubt Morty knows but Rick's drunk and rambling rant wasn't really a good indicator of how it went down. Besides that, Rick's mostly just the match that lit the stack of firewood rather than a direct cause.
>>
>>95027801
Therefore, we should beat them up and anyone who agrees with a single thing they say.
>>
>>95027679
>skulls are cool.

If you're twelve maybe.
>>
>>95024639
Insightful...I wanna know more about "True Jerry" being the "Anti-Rick"
>>
>>95021918
Don't lie
>>
>>95023000
I mean, that takes no effort.

Sure, some initial pain, but both were okay once the process was done.

All she did was hug Summer. Beth is an awful parent
>>
>>95019805
Jerry might suck people in with his shame spiral but he at least makes an effort to be a good husband and father. Beth is 90% checked out when it comes to her family but can get away with it because she's so much smarter than Jerry.
>>
>>95027939
I don't give a fuck what you do frankly.
>>
>>95027370
Why do Communists always have the need to bring up that communism was "never really tried" (it has) and that they're not as bad as fascists?

Guilty conscience?
>>
>>95029781
You think I was being serious?

>>95029822
You think he was being serious?
>>
>>95027370
true nazism was never tried
>>
>>95029907
Nazism is a form of socialism, liberals just hate it because it's also nationalist.
>>
>>95029369
She made an effort, something she wouldn't have before. She's a bad person and parent but she's getting better, which I can appreciate.
>>
File: bickle.png (414KB, 911x1502px) Image search: [Google]
bickle.png
414KB, 911x1502px
>>95019554
Um, no sweetie. The best character is BIGGLE RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDXDXDXDXD
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.