[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JSA Storytime: Omega - the Unknown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 49

Good evening owls,

r-r-r-remix time
>>
>>95007392
So what was good today other than the trolling
>>
File: 1504114337219.png (848KB, 1180x338px) Image search: [Google]
1504114337219.png
848KB, 1180x338px
>wtf I love Lobdell now
>America trolling

decent day

>Zemo didn't save everyone

into the trash SE goes
>>
>>95007392
Hey OP.
Did you know that Mage would be 1000 times better if it was about a lgbt woman of color?
This hot take provided by the AVClub.
>>
>>95007421
I saw that review and I don't require that everyone like Mage, and it is maybe old-fashioned, but that was a really, really weak argument for a review of a single book
>>
>>95007421
That website gets worse every year.
>>
>>95007421
That...is awful.

But, I mean...Umbra and the Grackles are women now. Did they mention that?
>>
>>95007421
The really stupid thing about that line is that you're basically writing off all the biographical stuff or saying "Matt Wagner should be an LGBT woman of color"
>>
>>95007421
Did you know that people like CAPTAIN AMERICA as a NAME and nobody actually likes Steve Rogers as a character that much and Sam should be Cap forever? Also same for Miles as Spider-Man, if they'd just get rid of Peter no one would care!

t. Twitter

>>95007400
I didn't read any books today beyond skimming Secret Empire (and man, what an absolute waste of a great setup that event turned out to be)

that America letter is the best thing I've read all day
>>
>>95007392
Hello, Storyteller.

Do not buy Shadow of War. If you give even the slightest fuck about video games. Do. Not. Buy. Shadow of War. Fuck Warner Brothers. And fuck Sega too, for that matter.

So anyway, Omega. Let's see how that works out.
>>
I still like America but it's just for the art now basically. It's problem I've noticed is just being over written,

And now I can read all of Secret Empire at once
>>
>>95007473
yes

> The Gracklethorns of The Hero Discovered were fascinating: completely featureless, but still wildly expressive. These new lady Gracklethorns not only have revealing outfits instead of matching suits, they have tiny waists, styled hair, eyes to host their long lashes, and carefully defined lips. But their faces convey no emotion at all. Their progenitor, the Umbra Sprite, is now the Umbra-Mother, similarly svelte and with her butt-crack improbably showing through her pencil skirt. The overall impression is that in order to be female, they must be drawn and speak as sexual objects, and it’s clear Wagner’s writing has not evolved at all since he fridged Edsel 30 years ago.

>>95007487
ooh share
>>
>>95007473
>These new lady Gracklethorns not only have revealing outfits instead of matching suits, they have tiny waists, styled hair, eyes to host their long lashes, and carefully defined lips. But their faces convey no emotion at all. Their progenitor, the Umbra Sprite, is now the Umbra-Mother, similarly svelte and with her butt-crack improbably showing through her pencil skirt. The overall impression is that in order to be female, they must be drawn and speak as sexual objects, and it’s clear Wagner’s writing has not evolved at all since he fridged Edsel 30 years ago.
http://archive.is/2yB7z
>>
>>95007505
Shadow of War is the gay LotR troll dating game right?
>>
>>95007476
>Matt Wagner should be an LGBT woman of color

Also I mean, I'm going to guess that the third Mage is his daughter
>>
>>95007521
>And now I can read all of Secret Empire at once

Really not worth it tbqh, just read the Hydra Cap solo and imagine how it ends.
>>
>>95007411
Still feeling that trolling is gonna trainwreck when either /co/ works itself up enough or Marvel responds and /co/ responds in turn.
>>
>>95007534
>>95007539
>These new lady Gracklethorns not only have revealing outfits instead of matching suits, they have tiny waists, styled hair, eyes to host their long lashes, and carefully defined lips. But their faces convey no emotion at all. Their progenitor, the Umbra Sprite, is now the Umbra-Mother, similarly svelte and with her butt-crack improbably showing through her pencil skirt. The overall impression is that in order to be female, they must be drawn and speak as sexual objects, and it’s clear Wagner’s writing has not evolved at all since he fridged Edsel 30 years ago.

Woo....these takes are too hot.
I mean, the second generation of Grackles were annoying wigger teens.
>>
>>95007534
>ooh share
comicosity guy and pals
>>
>>95007453
The Kinja-apocalypse happened last wednesday, and I've gone there maybe twice since the redesign. The entire website is a fucking mess now.
>>
>>95007574
Comicosity Guy said the same thing about Ant-Man when the new hispanic one debuted.
>>
>>95007545

Hey I've already dled all the shit imma force through it.

That Mage review is something else from y'alls posts
>>
>>95007411
>Secret Empire didn't end with Zemo betraying Cap to uphold HYDRA and throwing out an "I'm loyal to nothing, friend... except the dream" one-liner
garbage
>>
>>95007534
I've seen some amusing Seekrit Empire goalposting moving, in that shockingly things got fixed, as we all assumed, and people are all "It got fixed! He told us it mattered!" after being mad that Steeeeve was ruined forever. IDK.

Also Jim Zub has the godawful look of tagging someone directly on Twitter who didn't tag him about a review. I'm happy to watch the Rogue fans drag him, it's a cancerous fanbase meeting a middling writer.

>>95007574
awww come on you have a link for me right but okay
>>
>>95007582

The new guy isn't even ant man! He's Giant Man
>>
Sorry we didn't get to the other Defenders issue, I uploaded it after you guys were finished but it was too late :(

Anyway Secret Empire was... an event ending. Still overall enjoyed SE more than other events but yeah it was still an event.

Wonder Woman was decent, serviceable fill-in. The thing is, in certain previous Wondie fill-ins, and just fill-ins and general, the writers take advantage of the fact that they can tell a short, self-contained story to do something a bit more off the wall.

Deadpool was great, glad I started reading that.
>>
>>95007611
He said something along the lines of "Finally, Marvel has replaced etc with something of substance etc"
>>
>>95007598
Jim Zub is a weirdly life-affirming writer. Like in a...
>this guy can make a living in comics! this guy!
...kinda way.
>>
>>95007540
No, it's the latest victim of all of the various cancers infecting the video game industry, with the added bonus of new bullshit.

So WB not only put micro transactions in SoW, as well as loot boxes, preorder incentives, AND a fucking season pass, but they've used their sponsorship deal with Totinos to put codes for in game currency in the fucking pizza boxes. That's a new level of disgusting, and of course it'll work because consumers are idiots with no impulse control.

Fuck video games.
>>
>>95007577
I used to post there occasionally but fuck that shit, Kinja is awful

>>95007614
isn't it basically "rocks fall everyone dies"?
>>
>>95007652
That's hilarious. Reminds me of the whole idea Microsoft had to get you Microsoft points via brands, like you'd order pizza and hold up the box and their ALWAYS ON 24/7 NIGHTMARE CAMERA would recognize it and give you like $1.99 worth of points.

Shit this is probably the brainchild of the same guy who had that idea.

What are the micro-transactions and loot boxes for? Shitty DLC and pre-order bonuses I've become inured to now, they mean nothing to me.
>>
>>95007564
I think the beauty of this is that it's literally a harmless prank that shouldn't be able to blow up. But I guess people will prove me wrong and it'll get shitty soon with people actually harassing each other again.
>>
>>95007662
I didn't read it but that's my impression from what I read about it.

>>95007652
The previous game I only bought on sale for 5 bucks because the mechanic of the Orc hierarchy looked super interesting but in-game it wasn't very well fleshed out and the rest of the game was like a checklist of popular mechanics, so no big loss there.
>>
>>95007662
(this is very close to the original, of course)
>>
>>95007728
The best 'Shadow of' game would just get rid of the fucking human/elf/Sauron deviantart main char and let you play a random orc.
>>
>>95007598
I always got links for you OP

https://twitter.com/SageTerrence/status/902923962639941633

https://twitter.com/FotoBearic/status/902928188837421056

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/902930356155928576
>>
>>95007744
The parents seem a bit more human in this one.
>>
>>95007632

I mean you could probably make an argument about Scott being a kinda weak character compared to Pym and O'Grady but a) don't think he's making that argument b) Spencer did a lot of work with Scott in that same run c) poor giant man has only been in like Ultimates since
>>
>>95007750
>restores Steve to a youthful Nazi state
que?

??
>>
>>95007750
Remind me, did Paris get fixed after FEAR ITSELF? There's a reason I think mass casualties are a stupid fucking idea in any event, really.

I'd love to see the "Sam stays as Cap" faction honestly debate the "Sam should have stayed Falcon" faction as they both have strong POVs

>>95007632
Fandom has always been about will to power but it's so blunt about it these days
>>
>>95007750
and some hot takes from that pink furry guy https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/902911340045590528
>>
>>95007773
Comicosity Guy is a man of many thoughts. It's hard to decipher.

Like how he acts that Will and Grace is a hate crime, but thinks America is a great example of latinos.
>>
>>95007712
>What are the micro-transactions and loot boxes for?
So you know how the main gimmick of the game is to beat the shit out of various Orcs and turn them into your loyal servants who will fight for you, sort of like Pokemon meets Overlord? The loot boxes give you Orcs. The actual point of the game is tied up in a gambling machine. Yes, really.
>>
>>95007785
>>95007750
I totally agree with:
>Steve should be incarcerated and look down by his peers
Though because then maybe we would have got the Captain America Thunderbolts book.
>>
>>95007802
Wow that's almost mobile gaming in its fiendish monetization.

>>95007797
He didn't even give thought to how women might take Bendis' recent JJ series either. It's one of them irony things.
>>
>>95007805
we'd probably get it with Zub again, sigh

Seriously, this is on the list of "shit you shouldn't do":

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/902969920534798336
>>
>>95007834
>>95007797
Also this has just reminded me: does anyone else think (or maybe even know) if the Comicosity reviews are written to strict format? I always feel like I'm reading the exact same review structure when anyone but Matt does it.
>>
>>95007791
This guy is such a goldmine
>>
>>95007853
>>
>>95007805
What if Spencer takes HydraCap and uses him in a Thunderbolts book. Is this viable?

Would we even want it at this point?
>>
>>95007863
I used to write reviews for a place like that, and...sort of. It was always to keep things light.
>>
>>95007853
Mad props to the review for handling that so professionally when the creator absolutely did not (and doesn't even realise what he did). This and T-Bolts have both had Zub use homework as a defense, huh.
>>
I'm still in shock about those thoughts about the Grackles.

They're only in 3 panels so far and they're already way more interesting than Emil's kids ever were.
>>
>>95007885
I guess we will see in December if Spencer is even still working at Marvel.
>>
>>95007885
>>95007853
It's totally viable but Spencer would continue to be dragged for it. Ewing actually had a Cap-led Thunderbolts team briefly appear in Contest of Champions IIRC.
>>
>>95007834
>Wow that's almost mobile gaming in its fiendish monetization.
Not really. After all, mobile games that feature micro transactions are usually free to play. Shadow of War will have a starting price tag of 60$. Again, fuck video games.
>>
>>95007911
I hadn't noticed he'd started to respond when I linked it, but earlier today I saw that dude absolutely hadn't posted his review on his twitter which really made me go "Do not hunt out people to argue with them"
>>
What's a good length for a comic review anyway? I dunno how these people do it but it seems easy to break into. Throw that shit on a Tumblr
>>
>>95007945
>>95007911
That is a quality fucking drag, you are right
>>
>>95007805
>Though because then maybe we would have got the Captain America Thunderbolts book.
that would be pretty cool

too bad it would either get a shit writer or it would still end up Bucky centric somehow
>>
>>95008005
>I usually only reach out when I think there's a factual error. In this case the idea that I hadn't been reading/paying attention stung me.

Yes, can we talk about your Thunderbolts? Because evidence that you had been was in short supply.
>>
>>95007992
Length is usually up to whatever thoughts you bring to it, but short intro, body that is either a general review or segmented into points, and a short summation that leads into a score.
>>
>>95008031
>>
>>95007992
I would think it depends on the depth. Like a Super Sons issue wouldn't warrant as much as that Grayson: Future's End issue even though they're both generally good at what they're setting out to do.

But also importance, event books meant to "change everything" get more space than an Elseworlds.
>>
>>95008053
>>
>>95007992
It's not so much length for me there is that on any review that isn't by the head guy the art generally gets a mention jammed in at the last two paragraphs and quite often it's a "this is fine". So it really comes across as being done to a very samey script. The chief guy sometimes won't even mention the art at all.

If a review is discussing a whole comic, and not just a particular strand of character or plot or identity in it, I need waaaay more visual literacy than that. For a lot of capeshit that visual literacy is gonna be used for shooting monkeys in a barrel, but still.

I still basically like any review/thinkpiece that is sincere, does deep digs and really goes for its point though - even if I don't agree with it. I'd just much rather read 10 of those focused things than 100 reviews to a set formula that just don't have the knowledge or space to cover a whole comic.
>>
>>95008031
>Yes, can we talk about your Thunderbolts?
What is there even to talk about Zubolts? When it wasn't being an excuse to suck on Bucky's cock, it was meandering nothingness. Not a goddamn thing actually happened in that book.
>>
>>95008005
The America letter thread highlighted that this guy was probably doing the same thing as /co/ earlier:

>>95006862
>>
>>95008074
>>95008103
It'd be a slog of "this is why this doesn't work, this is half-assed", etc. And against a careful delineation of that, "I promise I did my homework" just makes it look even worse.
>>
>>95008120
I'm just going to read every letter column sarcastically from now on.
>>
>>95008120
That does read kinda trolly, yes

So I mean fandom is often stupid and dumb and bad at reading, but creative can do itself a lot of favors by ~not engaging~
>>
Secret Empire's fucking garbage

And man are Timfags really pissed about the RHATO annual. It's incredible.
>>
>>95008153
It would be really dumb for Marvel to make any kinda statement on this letter thing, but I sure as fuck wouldn't rule it out.
>>
>>95008158
>And man are Timfags really pissed about the RHATO annual. It's incredible.
Why?
>>
>>95008158
when are Tim fans not mad?
>>
>>95008186
Jason. not Tim, watched Dick at the circus once.
>>
>>95008186

>>95005232
Took part of Tim's old bakcstory and gave it to Jason.

It took upsetting Timfags for Dickfags and Jasonfags that aren't that CBR guy to get along.
>>
>>95008168
I don't think they will. I was thinking on the "do not engage" front still with Zub, because if you get tagged yes, but hunting that dude out shows that he was really stung and you need a thicker skin than that. Keep the wall between fan discourse and engagement with creative, dammit.
>>
>>95007885
I could see HydraCap being characterized like Rick Flag, an idealistic yet jaded patriot forced to work with criminals and lowlifes, desperate to redeem himself.

It's disappointing how people seem to have interpreted HydraCap as meant to be unambiguously evil. I felt he was a fair exploration of an authoritarian. He was noble and wanted to help mankind, but was willing to make moral sacrifices in order to do it. Note that every single member of his regime either betrayed him or his ideology in order to serve their own agendas, obviously a commentary on how authoritarianism can't work if the rulers are no benevolent.

And that's what made the end to SE so underwhelming. The issues prior seemed to be implying that cracks were showing in Steve's resolve as he was forced to make more moral sacrifices, and his empire was falling out from under his feet more by his and his regime's own doing rather than what the underground was doing. But then in the pivotal moment, his resolve is stronger than ever and he's finally seeing his vision come true, and instead of through ideology, RealSteve just beats him through a punching match.
>>
>>95008192
To be fair, they were in a hibernate-like state of sheer apathy for a while. It took Rebirth for them to rise from their slumber, thirsty for blood.
>>
>>95008193
>>95008211
ha, that's pretty good
>>
Anyone read the Supergirl annual?

I did. That was a mistake.
>>
>>95008033
>>95008056

I guess what try and get the articles up on Thursday and hashtag it. I need to learn about SEO

Lol at me thinking it's a meritocracy and also I'm good enough to break through
>>
>>95008222
I have a lot of hot takes about shit but I never tag because, shit, that'd be dumb.

Still, one time Rich Johnston called me out.
>>
>>95008222
While I don't like Zub as a writer I've always appreciated how open he's been about his scripts, the income he got in the industry, how he got started, expectations as a creator for launching a new book etc. I think he's patreonized that now but he has/had a blog for a long time where he was putting the info out there, and I think that's really valuable.

But the *other side* of that like this is when the engagement isn't going your way and as you say - it obviously stung.
>>
>>95008224
Yeah I think the entire point of it was supposed to be that just going along with your upbringing isn't necessarily the best thing, which is why to me it's disappointing that he went full cartoony evil after killing Skull.
>>
>>95008241
Speaking of Supergirl, I am so irritated they took that shit Supergirl artist and put him on Gotham City Garage's first issue.

Like the premise is pretty interesting and the writing is okay so far but good god is that art terrible.

Any interest people have in it like they did Bombshells will be killed the second they open to the first page.
>>
NGL I'm really hoping the Ruth and Amber equivalents are a couple in this one.
>>
>>95008248
Tag creators in your positive (4*/B or higher) reviews too because some of them share it, or even if they simply hit the like on it that shows up in people's feeds sometimes.

Good luck senpai. Nothing is about merit, just being in the right place at the right time.
>>
>>95008262
I think he's a nice guy and clearly a pro and that is perfectly cromulent stuff for a working pro to put on a Patreon. But I also think he ought to know better than to break that wall, and I am also still kind of mad at him for writing such a mediocre book that had such promise, which is on me.
>>
>>95008120
So does Marvel KNOW they were trolled? I mean, someone HAD to have told them "That was just 4chan fucking with you."
>>
>>95008241
I'm not dumb enough to bother with Orlando anymore. Midnighter was a fluke.
>>
>>95008324
I've seen a few tweets about the letter, even did one myself...so any scouters they have might have seen them
>>
>>95008324
Obviously who ever checks the letters (if anyone) missed it and/or they don't get many letters esp. positive so they print 'em all.
>>
>>95008319
>>95008241
why was it bad?
>>
Cosmic Brain (and correct) take on the America letter is that if you're enjoying reading the issue the creative team is doing its job and succeeding.
>>
>>95008366
I wish I could enjoy it in the ironic sense like the rest of /co/ seems to.
>>
>>95008366
I am always interested in cases where a contrary/perverse reading can be strongly supported, like "Mockingbird as amoral fantasist"
>>
>>95008359
Orlando can't write
>>
>>95008392
Given the weekly Gabby hate threads (which I've noticed that the mods are killing), I don't think people are ironically enjoying it. They just hate it
>>
>>95008222
I think a big part of the problem of communication between readers and creators is that readers all too often forget or even fail to realize that creators are people. Positively or negatively, creators seem to be put on a pedestal, as though they only exist in relation to their works.
It is important to always keep in mind that writers, artists, actors, whatever, are individuals with flaws and feelings to consider. When fans forget that, as they sadly often do, well it more or less becomes objectification, and that's when readers get angry that the creators are not serving their needs as one expects from a device.

And before you even start, don't pretend you don't do that shit, cause we all do. "So and so should've done this", "Why didn't X do this instead of that?", "The fuck is wrong with them?". Don't lie to yourself.
>>
>>95007505
Hey, Cranky. Please die soon.
>>
>>95008419

I maintain there was an intentional amount of that. That everyone missed and took at face value.
>>
>>95008449
They at least enjoy shitting on it. It's just bad to me, I'm not emotionally invested like that.
>>
>>95008419
sorry, 'fabulist' is a better word

>>95008454
there's something to be said again for that Horrocks piece which argues for the separation of art from creator, both for reasons of transcendental pursuit of the sublime but also mental health
>>
>>95008483
Don't listen to this anon, Cranky. We all love you.
>>
>>95008449
>bad books get 500 replies on /co/ but good books are lucky to get to 100 replies

and some people on /co/ wonder why good books get cancelled
>>
>>95008508
Long may Cranky's frustration burn bright!
>>
>>95008420
that's a pretty general complaint

>>95008493
There's some but taken in light of Cain's own defense against some angry Mockingbird fans I think it's still meant to be read as fundamentally ~strong~ and ~empowering~ with a very small side of "Don't women get to be complicated too?" but no actual interest in what that would mean. Cake having and eating.
>>
>>95008483
Darwyn Cooke was a talented person, but he was a fallible mere mortal same as you or me. Get over it.
>>
>>95008546
>>
>>95008595
Pretty good shit so far
>>
>>95008595
don't eat pigeons
>>
>>95008625
Losing Gerber's Hell's Kitchen is sad but Manhattan was gentrified by 07
>>
>>95007392
Couldn't scare up the Defenders then?
>>
>>95008546

Yeah there's also a gap between the idea and execution that I argue is smaller than it actually is bc of the hate that book got.
>>
>>95008697
>>
>>95008711
Here it is for anyone who wants to read on their own:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ps0808vm23betc/AACGOlvtPpiA5bCczKIUG_g5a?dl=0
>>
>>95008717
Much of the hate is stupid but the praise for the book was also IME very narrow and cut out all the interesting uncomfortable stuff
>>
>>95008790
(this is like a weird mirror Marvel Universe)
>>
>>95007421
See, this is how you help Donald Trump get elected- If there is no moral place in which cishet white men can exist in your world, why the fuck would they ever like you?
>>
>>95008500
I certainly understand the appeal of Death of the Author, but at the same time, I don't agree with it. Fact of the matter is it very much does matter who's writing a piece, and it is very important to keep in mind who that person is. One simply cannot help but inject their own feelings and beliefs into their works.

Again, to attempt to ignore the various idiosyncrasies of the author is arguably objectification of a sort. As well, to me, comes across as just a little delusional. Go ahead and enjoy the works of H.P Lovecraft, for example, but never forget that this is the guy who named his beloved pet cat Niggerman(yes, really).

Especially since you can try to have a discussion of how the author's views influenced their work, and how you can appreciate the work even if you disagree with the views. Death of the Author just seems to breed intellectual dishonesty, in my opinion.
>>
>>95008829
But it's not like things are necessarily a straightforward injection of belief/upbringing/etc. into a work of art--that way lies a rather leaden biographical criticism that combs through the details of an author's life to try to relate things so specifically. There's a great parody of that line in The Pooh Perplex (although the best part is the Freudian reading, by far)
>>
>>95008346
I mean by now, Anon, now that we've all seen the letter. I've GOT to see if the writer is going to respond somehow, because modern Marvel won't NOT respond, given how Slott, Spencer, and the usual suspects are.
>>
>>95008818
Center square?
He is a big shot
>>
>>95008885
>>
>>95008888
Unless corporate/PR tells them all not to comment on it
>>
>>95008829
>his beloved pet cat Niggerman
Who he gave a role in one of his stories.

And that's cute.
>>
>>95008829

Imo death of the author is more about the author not being the final arbiter than totally irrelevant. Or not making their opinions sacrosanct. Also comics are collaborative as fuck and assigning a single author is dumb
>>
went poking around those links from earlier

https://twitter.com/elevenafter/status/903048290224177153
https://twitter.com/elevenafter/status/903054378441068544

wat
>>
>>95008790
>bald eagle preserve
Love that London and NY's high-rises actually sustain peregrine falcon populations nowadays. No preserve needed, they just fucking live there.
>>
hey OP, didja read this?

http://whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/164738170812/pop-comics-2-dark-nights-metal-1
>>
>>95008829
I am always always always there for the work on its own without author context. Sure it's not the full picture but it's extremely valuable and immediately going to the author can lose you things.
>>
>>95008885
>it's not like things are necessarily a straightforward injection of belief/upbringing/etc. into a work of art

Yeah there's nothing in Brendan McCarthy's work that reflects his twitter rants. Speaking of which he's either gone silent or taken it down.
>>
>>95008939
lots of flying rats to eat!

>>95008955
no, but I'll click now

>>95008985
it's not that there's *nothing*, but it's that you can't do the undergrad reductionism, lemme find this good take on it
>>
>>95008885
Right. Some people do actively attempt to keep their more explicit views out of their work, but some stuff is still going to slip through. I just feel it's important to, at the very least, recognize these tendencies, and keep them in mind while reading, since like it or not, these tendencies will affect your assessment of the work.
>>
>>95007505
>fuck Sega too

They keep putting out Yakuza games in the West, you bet I'll bend over to get that Fist of the North Star game too.
>>
>>95008934

>the order is racism

Like I get the point of how white supremacy is everywhere and all but it's not 1870, interracial relationships are a thing! Shocked she's not on the Tim is Gay train
>>
>>95009019
I think it's a good piece that really highlights not only the problems with Snyder and Capullo's Metal, but with superhero comics in general nowadays.
>>
>>95009051
True, but let's be honest...Lovecraft's racism is partly why his more horrific stories are so good.
>>
>>95008888
Logically there truly is no value in a response. It's just a joke letter, and even critical letters historically have been published in letters columns before. Nothing is obscene about it even if it did come from 4chan.

But yeah, you're right that modern Marvel is too stupid to get that.
>>
>>95008955
The Teen Titans one was fun too, but the main line of argument for both is pretty much the same. And if you're looking for truly affecting, touching-the-divine art then yeah capeshit is rarely going to have that.

>>95009019
Sarah Horrocks is basically doing this thing where she picks something from the top 10 bestselling comics and reviews it (read: takes it apart). Comes out on her patreon, then like two weeks later on her blog.

Generally it's just an indictment of top-selling capeshit as art so I prefer the reviews of what she likes, but I still enjoy reading it. For the stuff which is enjoyed, the RanXerox review was like reading burning fire, the Zanardi one (possibly not yet public) also very good.

This is the RanX one:

whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/163693006837/ranxerox-holy-fucks-for-the-people
>>
>>95009085
>Designated Dave: "Racism is good!"
>>
>>95009019
I wish I'd saved this article--it was a professor talking about the problems with getting students beyond "Surely something in this writer's life directly explains everything about this work"
>>
>>95009019
>>95009075
Oh, and she also had a good thread about splash pages and why they lack the oomph they had back when people like Kirby and JRJR did them.

https://twitter.com/mercurialblonde/status/902616484643528707
>>
>>95009085
Later writers get to play with the gaps in Lovecraft's work too. Like I would say Moore is by no means the first or the best to do that but it's a huge part of Providence, Courtyard, Neonomomicon.
>>
>>95008955

I don't fully disagree with the arguement even if I'm not fully sold but this

>No one was stepping to Neal Adams

Is bullshit. There's an entire goddamn generation of artists who started by apeing Adams.
>>
>>95009128
Hahaha. Brilliant.

>>95009147
That's pretty apt as well. Although Providence is the best.
>>
>>95009085

It's what makes the fucker so fascinating to me
>>
>>95008926
>Imo death of the author is more about the author not being the final arbiter than totally irrelevant.
See, this I can get on board with, because it is indeed often the case where a writer will accidentally convey something they didn't intend, or the readers generally saw a different meaning.

>>95008924
It is cute. Utterly fucking absurd, but oddly heartwarming.
>>
>>95007773
I still like Scott, he's got that whole Single Dad angle that rarely gets used in comics.

And personally, I don't care much for asshole protagonists like O'Grady.
>>
>>95009132
GDI I wish I'd fucking saved this shit
>>
>>95009201
Same. It's the way he attempts to introduce his racist feelings into his stories that actually helps to play into his tones of unknowable and unwelcome horrific concepts. Makes the whole lot memorable.

And then you get into his later life when he regrets all that shit and loves his wife and it's...so interesting.
>>
>>95009235
THERE IT IS

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Portrait-of-the-Artist-as-a/238762

>In my American-literature survey, I have been teaching works by Poe, Dickinson, and others that apparently tempt students’ most vehement insistence on autobiographical verisimilitude. Everything our authors write is what they really feel, a skillfully arranged and titled page straight from their diaries. One student tells me that "The Tell-Tale Heart" is a hallucination, which he thinks fits with Poe’s opium use. Another tells me it is the record of a failed suicide attempt, and that what the narrator has killed is that part of himself he most loathed. (They remind me that Poe was a drug user and an alcoholic, therefore he hated himself and was very unhappy. Ergo…) The majority of them insist on such one-to-one correlations from biography. How could you write such dark things unless you felt such dark things?
>>
>>95009133
I fully share Sarah's love of JRJR and Liefled.
>>
>>95007788
>I'd love to see the "Sam stays as Cap" faction honestly debate the "Sam should have stayed Falcon" faction as they both have strong POVs

Sam as Falcon at least has the completely valid argument of "Falcon was Marvel's first African American superhero, and that should mean something."

Also, ffs, Steve's barely been Captain America for like the last twenty years at this point.
>>
>>95009261
She really gave me a new insight into Liefeld
>>
>>95009314
This can't end well
>>
>>95009055
They put always online DRM into Sonic Mania though. Like, they finally release a Sonic game that pretty much everyone loves, and they somehow, against all odds, manage to find a way to ruin the good will they've built. For fucks sake.

>>95009085
Well, it's kinda funny at least. Lovecraft was a bit of a try hard. Apparently the scariest thing of all is that one chick is half black! Spooooky~!
>>
>>95009314
>If you gave anyone off the street this comic, they would open it and say “what the fuck?” – I think being able to kick people in that way is what is lacking in today’s comics.

I've always liked that aesthetically about JoJo, any given page usually has some WTF excess to it
>>
>>95009348
>Apparently the scariest thing of all is that one chick is half black! Spooooky~!

Well you can always put it like that. But when you put it into the context of having deep one ancestry that is slowly driving you insane...then it gets fun.
>>
>>95009259
Prose or poetry (or comics) that sets you on fire has nothing to do in the moment with who the author is. I think that's the big thing for me.

Like, it's interesting and all. And you probably want to know about it if you're analyzing everything. But it's really irrelevant to your first experience of something.
>>
I miss back when Marvel would publish shit like this. Now their most "indie like" stuff is that idiotic drivel like Unreadable Squirrel Girl and Lethcat.
I mean, I guess there's X-Men: Grand Design but if you don't care about the X-Men and their stories you're SOL.
>>
>>95009348
Is Sonic Mania as fun as they say BTW, if you're a Sonic fan? We used to emulate the older games and play vs. mode at school.
>>
>>95009378
I'm not nearly as interested in the sublime as she is, but I think she writes so strongly from that aesthetic

>>95009406
IME it's something you can often choose or not choose to engage with. You read Antigone really differently if you know more about Greek religious and funerary custom, for instance, as opposed to the 19th century German pure Idealist reading of the play
>>
> It’s appropriate that this thing ends with Dream, because this comic is sleepwalking. Like most of the most talented people in comics.

Never stop writing Sarah.
>>
>>95009442
>>95009411
Dalrymple is perfect for this, it's such a distinctive and personal style
>>
>>95009476
Omega isn't as much of a babe/nobody has commented on the size of his muscles yet though.
>>
>>95009501
I'm trying to think of how I'd describe it--quirky? hand-drawn? organic? Something to me a bit akin to Quitely, I think in the love of texture, and the hand lettering really helps the feel.
>>
>>95009426
I haven't played it, but it looks alright. Honestly, I'm way more into the comics than the games. Here's hoping IDW does something interesting with it at least.
>>
>>95008211
>Not making it so Jason was just a Redhead Dick

They retconned the circus back into Jason the wrong way.
>>
>>95009590
>>
>>95008934
I kind of love the obvious inference here.
>>
>>95009590
I'd love it even more if he had colored it himself. Though at this point I believe he was still doing black and white and not going full paint ,like in The Wrenchies, on his work.
>>
>>95009630
I relate to this
>>
I really wanna see some of these people who love squirrel girl dig into it
>>
>>95009630
this is amazing
>>
>>95009647
I love the Woke Jason Todd ideal
>>
>>95008319
Is that a statue of Charles Xavier?
>>
>>95009715
>>95009719
Jason Todd, Woke Feminist is some headcanon I found really weird but have become oddly fond of
>>
>>95008955
>>95009133
BTW Horrocks-anon, I can tell you the splash thing was written up as a full article and the next pop comics thing will be Flash #29. So I assume you'll have more shit to enjoy soon.

One thing I like about the pop comics reviews is how they pick up one panel or page and just say "Yes, this is good" regardless of what the verdict is on the whole. That's something I experience a lot even just reading comics casually.
>>
>>95009743
>>95009757
It's fun to be reading something and it might be blah but you go "woah" at one bit of obvious quality or awesome weirdness
>>
>>95009803
fuck yeah NYC street food

thanks for reading moar tomorrow
>>
>>95009859
Thanks! This was pretty good.
>>
>>95009859
This guy is great, I can't believe Foolkiller is going to fucking murder him.
>>
>>95008934
Bruce and Tim, are, I think, the only ones who HAVE ACTUALLY DATED BLACK WOMEN.
>>
>>95008934
further down
>Well there goes my "how does Batman and Bronze Tiger being boyfriends factor into this" argument.

my kind of tweeter
>>
>>95008697
If only there was some kind of Incident to degentrify it!
>>
>>95009757
Best and only patreon I've paid for desu
>>
>>95007750
Why is white guilt so real with American neo-liberals? Jesus.
>>
>>95009859
Thanks senpai, I miss Marvel comics like this, I really do.
>>
>>95009348
>Apparently the scariest thing of all is that one chick is half black! Spooooky~!
A YouTube gamer I watch for reasons completely unrelated to his lack of talent in video games once made the joke, "the real Dunwitch Horror is race-mixing", and it makes me chuckle every time.

Also, between Yakuza and SMT, Sega can shit all over those other franchises I don't care about all they like, as long as I get my fix.
>>
>>95009903
Bronze Tiger was always one of my faves from Suicide Squad.
>>
>>95009972

Re reading the trades has made me fall in love with him (and mad as hell bc he got fucked on the movie snygery. Why isn't he in Injustice 2!)
>>
>>95009859
Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

Omega the reboot is okay so far. Not quite as entertaining as the original, but not bad.

Don't buy Shadow of War. Seriously, people, have some self respect as consumers for once.

Oh, and that anon who hates me, just to be clear, I'm not trying to shit talk Cooke, as you seem to think. It's just that the "space man" bit in New Frontier was crap. Sorry, but it was.
>>
>>95009859
I feel like in the Gerber Omega run all the villains behaved outrageously over-the-top with showmanship regardless of their actual skills/ability/character (and they were mostly second stringers). It reminded me of that Deodato run on WW where Artemis takes up the mantle and there's a new Liefeldian monstrosity every couple of pages. Everything as OTT as you could imagine it.

In comparison, The Mink is much more solid as a villain but there's way less spectacle.
>>
Haha, Bendis managed to Bendis Infamous Iron Man today.
Remember the hook of Ultimate Reed working to fuck over Doom? It was Mephisto all along!!!1!
And Mephisto has typical Bendis-speak
>>
>>95009965
And what a sweet sweet fix they are.
>>
>>95009995
The dynamics stitched up in the Ost/Yale SS run are really great, so many ways for characters to develop and bounce off each other. As with several other characters in that run Bronze Tiger has always seemed to have kind of a retarded (in the slowed/doubled back sense) development since.

In Suicide Squad he's the actual first pick for team leader and he can 100% do the job, but he takes a backseat for the first what half? Two-thirds? And he has all these insecurity issues himself where just being the fighting guy is actually easier. So when you run through that and then bring him to where he is now, like essentially a Batman sidekick, it's never gonna feel like a step forward.
>>
>>95009996
>Oh, and that anon who hates me, just to be clear, I'm not trying to shit talk Cooke, as you seem to think. It's just that the "space man" bit in New Frontier was crap. Sorry, but it was.
Cranky, I have no idea what I missed, and frankly, I don't want to know.
>>
>>95010033
I hope that at some point after Bendis is crushed to death by a novelty sex shop sign there's some kind of Bendis Marvel event, where all his comics are retconned as coming from a Bendisverse where everyone talks in bizarre, verbose, inhuman fashion and they are all summarily killed off by the end.
>>
>>95010047
The day we get Kiryu and Majima using Demon Summoning Apps is the day I can die happily.
>>
>>95009715
It took a hard right from Existentialist Superhero right into something nearly kafkaesque.
>>
>>95010115
We're about to get Kiryu fighting a gang made up of real Japanese wrestlers who mo-capped their moves.
>>
>>95010033
fucking really? it's not even him?

He really does go to the same well over and over again.
>>
File: OMJjWnx.jpg (729KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
OMJjWnx.jpg
729KB, 1440x2560px
>>95010208
>>
>>95010077
Well, there's really not much to it. I criticized the "There's the door, space man." scene in New Frontier, and this offended people, one in particular spewing copious amounts of bile my way. Apparently this criticism was perceived as speaking ill of the dead, which it wasn't. I just dislike that scene, for obvious reasons.

Honestly, I think it's kind of funny how some see me as some kind of vile scumbag, when I'm really just a pissy Wonder Woman fan.

To Cooke-anon, this is coming from me of all people. Chill out, dude.
>>
>>95010252
Lordy
>>
File: Meph.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Meph.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>95010252
One day I'm gonna whiteout all the dialog in some Bendis comics and try reading them afterwards. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone is killed or at least maimed for these middle two bubbles here.

Plus this whole thing is just fucking T&T?
>>
>>95007421
Goddamn, it never amazes me how faggots can let their politics delude themselves into having taste this shit.
>>
>>95008359
This really reminding me of Peter Milligan's Enigma.
>>
>>95010753
We should add that to the list of stuff to get to.
>>
I... I don't know what I think about this. This thing reads like a fever dream, I'm struggling to figure out what's going on. Even the Wrenchies seems more coherent to me.
>>
>>95007392
I'm a little sad they ditched the open neckhole, curly hair and thigh high boots but this is still pretty good
>>
>>95007421
I mean, Edsel was the best part of the first book.
>>
>>95010033
>And Mephisto has typical Bendis-speak
Mephisto's been pretty quippy before. I'm mostly going by that one weird Simonson story where he keeps abducting everyone's waifu in order ot get his hands on Thor, to get on over on Hel.

Except he's totally doing it to get Hel-Senpai to notice him.
>>
up
>>
KIMOTA
>>
>>95014223
A woman getting killed is automatically fridging.
>>
>>95016451
Also, adding a group of female characters to a book is misogynist if they are too sexy and/or villains
Thread posts: 220
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.