[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dubs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: world.png (274KB, 737x412px) Image search: [Google]
world.png
274KB, 737x412px
To all the non-native English speakers, How where the dubs in your country/language?
>>
>>94931379
Italy makes the best dubs
>>
Flipland representing.

From what I remember
>Rarely barely any improvisation.
>Localization is minimal, at most names of techniques will be slightly changed. Jutsu's in Naruto are instead called Techniques "ie: KAGE BUNSHIN TECHNIQUE!", Kamehameha has "Wave" instead of the final ""ha", at rare cases do you get something like full-on name technique changes "Gomu-Gomu" being translated to "Goma-Goma", though I haven't watched the latter episodes of OP dubbed so I'm not sure what they did later on. Though majority, they just keep the japanese names. The Phantom Troupe is referred to as Ryodan. Though Doraemon I think translated some gadget names.

On to the actual animes I remembered enjoying
>A pretty awesome Yu Yu Hakusho dub, names were changed though.
>Yusuke=Eugene
>Kuwabara=Alfred
>Hiei=Vincent
>Kurama=Denise later changed Dennis when they realized Kurama's a dude
>Called Ghost Fighter instead
Yu Yu Hakusho having an awesome dub is pretty consistent, same with DBZ apparently
>>
File: IMG_8569.gif (1MB, 313x325px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8569.gif
1MB, 313x325px
>>94931788
>be a flipfag
>remembers when GMA was all "We Are Anime" back in the days with their Flip dubs and Escaflowne was left completely in English
>ABS-CBN has a decent selection of anime too
>now GMA is "We Are Teleseryes Where The Main Character Is A Poor Filipina With A Heart Of Gold Being Constantly Bullied By A Rich Filipina Fresh From The US Speaking In Nothing But Heavily Condescending English"

I feel sorry for you dealing with 2 and a half goddamn years of total bullshit like "The Half Sisters".
>>
Did somebody say dubs?
>>
>>94931894
that mantle is now taken by TV 5. I think right now they're dubbing the current hotshit Animes. I'm not sure, but I'm sure they're dubbing Attack on Titan and Voltron
>>
>>94931951
Good luck on it not getting ridiculously butchered
>>
>>94931379
Vietcong here. Cartoon dubs are generally shit. One voice for all. They have dumbed down baby speech, girl nanny voice as if singing a lullaby. Some mecha shows has man's voice it's a bit ok.
>>
As a Hunfag, I often hear cartoon dubs are better than live action dubs, but that's only true for theatrical stuff and maybe a couple shows that got lucky. Everything else is a halfassed mess dubbed by the same bunch of underpaid actors, translation errors all over the place, and little consistency in translations and casting.
>>
Mexican here. Latino dubs are the finest.
>>
There are four and a half Swedish voice actors. None of them can do more than one voice and all of their souls are dead by the sound of it.
>>
Netherlands here
we didnt really do 'dubs' for a long time
still dont for movies
there's the'kid' shows but we just take the scripts from america anyway
voices are decent, even if you recognize a lot of regulars
>>
>>94932727
>four and a half
elaborate
>>
>>94932760
Exaggeration. There aren't a lot of them and you hear the same few voices in every dub made in the last 20-ish years, except for some big budget movies that hire some artists that can barely voice act instead.
>>
Croatian dubbing is always terrible, but not for the reasons you might think. The official version of croatian is based on štokavica, the smallest dialect. The other two are dalmatian patrician čakavica and the plebeian peasent kajkavica from Slavonija. Štokavica can be understood by all and is the basis for the official croatian language. Čakavica and kajkavica are almost incomprehensible to those who do not speak it. Furthermore, the dialects spoken within a region are so fragmented and diverse that you can and do have villages right next to each other who have no idea what the fuck their neighbours are saying. Back to the upper level, both čakavica and kajkavica have shitloads of literature behind them, they were never subpar or undeveloped.

Simply put the official croatian differs much from how people actually talk so dubbing inevitably feels artificial as fuck, and if dialects are sporadically used it just doesn't feel right. Thus dubbing is an anomaly and not the rule. We sub. Everyone should sub foreign stuff, because other languages and other cultures deserve it. Dubbing is an insult.
>>
>>94932748
Shin chan and earlier Spongebob were top-tier though. Especially with Shin chan it sounded to me that the voices were pretty real and not just someone doing it for their job.
>>
>>94932827
you being Croatian explains so much
>>
>>94931379
Latino here. The dubs used to be god tier sometimes even better than the original but they suck ass now.
>>
>>94932980

Verily.

The influence of the Croat military unit was so strong that between 1631 and 1638 similar units were established in Bavaria, Spain and France.[7] At the beginning of the 20th century mothers still scared their children with tales about evil Croats because of the atrocities committed by the Croats during the 1631 Sack of Magdeburg.[15] The population of eastern France compared all invasions after the Thirty Years' War with stories about Croats and Swedes who ravaged their territory in the 1630s.[16] Some prayers still contain text which says: "God save us from the plague, hunger, war and the Croats".
>>
>>94932136
IDK do they dub bad? I liked Haruhi Suzumiya and Tora Dora.
>>
>>94931379
check them
>>
Latino dubs and Brazil dubs are even better than the original. Specially on anime.

Anime dubs on English suck balls.
>>
>>94933828
What is it with Americans that they can't dub anime properly.
>>
File: bateman shades.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bateman shades.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>94931788
>>94932677
>>94933477
consider them checked. step your dubs up OP
>>
Germany here
/co/-things aimed at children generally have great dubs. The vocie acting is less quirky which often fixes some problems, also they tend to not copy the same mistakes the original version did. The pool of vocieactors is decently big as dubbing is a big industry and also because most Actors also do some vocieacting on the side but "adult" cartoons and liveaction shows still tend sound similar. Mostly because most shows aimed at adults are native shovelware while most cartoons airing are imported so more vocieactors work on cartoons.
>>
>>94932827
>>94933059
If there is such disparity between languages in Croatia itself, I can imagine how shitty it must have felt when Yugoslavia tried fusing Serbian and Croatian together.
>>
>>94933967
Americans can't dub anything properly.
>>
>>94933967
Cherry-picking and inferiority complexes. Usually it's taking something like the American Wakfu dub which was hastily shat out to complete a crowdfunding campaign promise to some high production most-popular-anime-of-the-year Spanish dub.
>>
Ukraine here.

I was surprised to learn that CatDog was mostly passable for the rest of the world, since it's a cult classic here, all because of the amazing dub and its theme song. In comparison, the Angry Beavers dub was much cheaper in production quality, but still somehow ended up memorable. Overall, the 2D Nick cartoons have always been the most popular to localize.

A number of 90s Russian language dubs were made by the Kyiv-based "Pilot Studio", resulting in Pokemon and Digimon dubs becoming known for thick Ukie accents! Interestingly, "Pilot" used the Polish version of the 4kids localization as a base (leading to certain Polish carryovers such as "Team R"), but translated the Japanese version of Digimon very faithfully into Russian, keeping all the songs and original names like Tailmon and all that. Although they dubbed Digimon in Russian, only Ukrainian channels have ever shown it out of all post-Soviet countries.
>>
>>94933464
I meant the violence and gore
>>
>>94931788
did they change that spongebob joke?
>>
>>94934178

The dialects aren't different languages per se - it's just that through history most of Croatia was under this or that foreign rule, or communities were isolated by choice or geography. I say by choice when I think of the general Slavic unwillingness to explore, as well as the awareness of inherent danger.

Dalmatia was under Italy, Austria and the Turks to a lesser extent. Slavonija was under the Turks, Magyars and Austrians. Čakavica has loan words primarily from Italian (without getting into the pre-slavic, pre-migration loan words) and to a lesser extent Turkish (more prevalent in the southern part; also Dubrovnik had its own language culture, being an independent republic). Kajkavica has mostly german and turkish loan words. Hungarian as well, but not as much since it's a strange language.

The language issue was fiercely and continously debated among our aristocratic and academic class since the late 18th to the onset of the 20th century, and after much debate and reasoning it was decided on štokavian as the basis of official croatian - because of its simplicity and LACK of influence. Both Dalmatia and Slavonija had extensive literary traditions, so this was the obvious and neutral solution. But... the Serbs used this as "proof" that we were Serbs after 1918 and so on and on.

Example:

Bread is "kruh" in official cro., in my dialect it's "kru" and in kajkavian it's "hleb"
Pot is "zdjela", I say "teća", other čakavians may say "činija" and I don't know what it's called in kajkavian.

Serbo-croatian in YU was actually a clever solution, in a way. But the thing is us Croats got the shitty end of the stick. Croatian identity was and is defended through our language (Hungary, Italy and to a lesser extent Austria tried to entirely blot out all croatian dialects) - Serbian identity was always defended by their Orthodox church. Their language wasn't under threat at all. We are basically linguistic purists like the French.
>>
>>94931606
Except nowadays the national sport is complaining all the time that "It's not the same in Italian because *pun/foreign accent/joke* is lost" and people who genuinely like Italian dubs for anything released after 2009 is loathed because of that. Like, I'm probably the only one who uses Italian dub names for characters from any modern cartoon show in Italy outside of small children.
>>
>>94934761

If it's any comfort, Italian sounds like little angry monkeys fighting in the treetops to me.

In fact all romance languages sans French seem to be languages of hysterical, superstitious peasents. Portugese, Spanish, Italian - it's all sopa de macaco.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVYVPobup6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yil4aK4JE4
>>
>>94934882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHk5ZsOyQ9A
r8
>>
>>94934882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trc6NSXzg94
>>
>>94934848
it sounds like that to u?

the description u gave doesnt mesh at all with how i hear italian. fits chinese better - high-pitched, few syllables, tonally based, kind of aggressive sounding, though not as much as italian
>>
>>94934252
Not even their own shit.
>>
I don't know, why don't you check em?
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png (2KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
2KB, 2000x1200px
>>94931379
Usually they are pretty bad. The VAs are ok but the translation sucks. 50yo translators don't get the simplest references.
>Oh a robot talks about her "ports", of course she means harbors.
>>
>>94932896
yeah I liked those
its when they started giving dubs for shows that I started out undubbed, that I got annoyed

looking at you cartoon network
>>
>>94931379
>That episode of the Latin American dub of ed edd and eddy in which double d call eddy a faggot
>>
In the norwegian version of Steven Universethe mentions of anime are cencored. t
>>
>>94936600
Underrated
>>
>>94936749
Kinda sad how they never rerun old shit. CN (and every other kids channel for that matter) used to have such big library of cartoons, and now they only have 4 or something.
>>
>>94936789
No recuerdo eso
>>
File: darsheel.jpg (48KB, 440x664px) Image search: [Google]
darsheel.jpg
48KB, 440x664px
Pajeet here, it was pretty high quality for the most part.
Now we can choose whether to watch dubs or in engrish.
>>
>>94936713
To be fair, only Simpsons and Futurama really had this problem.
>>
>>94937803
/co/ German dubs are a mixed bag.
Voice acting tends to be okay to great but often suffers from bad scripts which directly translate from English and thus often sound unnatural.

Same with movies though they are overall better than series, curiously Pixar movies tend to have better scripts than Disney movies.
>>
There's a translator couple in Hungary who've been in the business at least since the 90s, and they must be the most dirt fucking cheap schmucks available, because I can't believe they're still getting employed when their language skills have consistently been stuck in a beginner level. I'm not a fan of either franchises, but even I got pissed at how thoroughly they managed to fuck shows like all the Ben10 cartoons and SU, and I hear they also laid hands on the Simpsons and Pokémon back when we still got anime in the country.

Voice actors always complain about the shortage of money and genuine talent in today's dubbing industry, and these are really evident when it comes to cartoon dubs. The whole "it's just for kids, screw quality" mentality still has a strong presence too, so some dubs don't even pay attention to things like lip sync, keeping voices consistent, or just plain not screwing up the audio mixing.
>>
>>94934761
wow, that is one explicit post.
>>
>>94939265
Sometimes I'm suprised when they find a work around in translations. In Gravity Falls there is joke where someone took the phrase "punching the clock" literally. They translated it to "Ich hab die Zeit tot geschlagen". The meaning is different but the joke still works.
>>
>>94936600
wew
>>
>>94937345
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlDmxvNGZQ
This fucking dub got away with to much
>>
>>94936789
>>94944004
I'm not a Spanish speaker, but I used google translate for "Marica" and it came up as "sissy". Do Latinos use it to mean faggot?
>>
>>94944128
It has different meanings. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it's a harmless word. Sometimes it's like "kill yourself you disgusting fag"
>>
>>94931788
>>94931894
>ABS or GMA
>not getting your fix from superior AXN or Wowow
After all these years I still dont know why they decided to show mezzo forte right after a chinese dub of teletubies in 10am
>>
>>94932827
you cannot sub cartoons for kids
>>
>>94932827
How is Shtokavian "the smallest dialect"?
>>
tfw know all 50 states and their capitols because I listen to the animaniacs OST a lot
>>
>>94934584
"Serbs" do not anything. There are radicals with fringe theories, but majority understands Croats are a separate nation. We just happen to speak the same language.
>>
>>94934342
no, most western shows rarely have their jokes localized, if there's a musical portion they just dub over the barest of minimum and keep the original dub for the actual singing
>>
Brazilian dubs are great, the only problems are the lack of different voice actors and jokes that will get lost in translation

https://youtu.be/j39hEhdjelA
>>
>>94944128
>>94944203
here in Colombia is either faggot, sissy or bro
>>
>>94931379
Spanish LA subs were often awful for anyone in a country other than Mexico. The translations were so full of bullshit dialect nobody else could understand. In other cases they used a "neutral" version of the language that's spoken nowhere but easily understood by everyone. Those were passable.

In all cases however, "Lost in translation" is an understatement. Plenty of jokes that made no sense after translation.
>>
>>94931379
>To all the non-native English speakers
>implying you can't be a native speaker of multiple languages
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.