[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Joker in the Dark Knight have a fancy, expensive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Why did the Joker in the Dark Knight have a fancy, expensive custom suit but apply cheap looking makeup poorly? What sort of image was he going for?

Is this the only incarnation of the Joker with poor looking makeup? It seems like most other versions have costume makeup and/or grease paint which provides smooth full coverage.
>>
He didn't care
>>
>>94927357
>Why did the Joker in the Dark Knight have a fancy, expensive custom suit but apply cheap looking makeup poorly? What sort of image was he going for?
Can't remember the video that explains it, or was it genius.com? (you'd be surprised they cover quotes there as though they're lyrics), but the basic idea is he wants to show the mob he's no intimidated by them and also directly challenge them by showing them he used the money he stole not for anything more than simply to make himself look gaudy.
Which if I may extrapolate I feel is intentional because it speaks about his character, he doesn't get cleaned up, he just goes for more of what he already is from his first introduction with the bank robbery to his second with the criminal meeting.
He's escalating even before he starts literally elevating.

The makeup thing is explained/handwaved(?) at the beginning by one of the robbers as possibly another intimidation tactic, "like war paint". Though honestly I think it's less intimidating and more just Joker trying to unnerve people, by this I mean disarm them of grasping what it's about not necessarily trying to make them afraid, which allows him more time to read them while they're lost in the meaninglessness of how he appears and the jokes he makes, because as the movie goes to show Joker actually is very perceptive even in initial encounters.

The script for his conversation with Batman in interrogation in fact says the part where he stops after making a mockery of the cops to glance at Batman that he's looking for a reaction in Batman's eyes. He wants to know what makes him tick, what upsets him. When it goes nowhere he decides to stop stalling and just pull out the fact he has Rachel and Dent, and brings up he grabbed Rachel because he noticed Batman jump after her. Had Bruce reacted to her plight same as the other guests Joker would have never known she was important to him. He does the same trick with the guard in interrogation.
>>
The suit was to mock the mobsters whom he loathed.

"Oh you steal and murder so you can have big houses and fast cars and wear nice suits? That's your motivation? No grand philosophy or worldview? Guess I'll wear a nice, expensive suit too so I fit in. How's gaudy purple and green? Am I doing it right?"

It was a pure fuck you.

As for the cheap, poorly applied makeup, I'd argue the intention there was a fuck you as well...to The Batman.

This Joker, when looked at on the sliding scale of Jokers, is on the side of those who came into existence mainly to fuck with Batman.

Batman shows up with this super impressive looking suit of armor, which must cost a fortune, and it surely must have all this time and energy and science behind it...so Joker thinks to himself something like "I'll show him...I'll affect this city in even bigger ways than him, and I'll have one of the cheapest, crappiest looking masks of all just to show him the mask isn't what matters."
>>
The overarching theme of this particular Joker was "rabid animal in concrete jungle." The messy make-up and muddled hair gave him the appearance of a mangy dog and the clean pressed suit that he wore highlighted the unkemptness of his appearance through juxtaposition. But it also was a kind of mockery based around how he saw other people; how they can put on all the fancy, custom-fit, clean-pressed suits they want, but underneath it they're all just animals, just like him.
>>
>>94927632
Yep, turns out it was genius.com
https://genius.com/2095799
Click on
>Oh, and by they way: the suit? It wasn't cheap. You oughta know, you bought it.
>>
>>94927605
>he didn't care
>that complete lack of dental hygiene

can't argue that
>>
it looked good
>>
I legit want to know how Heath acted off the set during filming.
>>
>>94927357
SOMEBODY STOP ME
>>
>>94927357
Normally his skin is bleached but I'll let that slide
>>
>>94928280
>>94928280
Apparently he skateboarded a lot. He didn't stay in character when they weren't filming if that's what you mean. He was normal/friendly if they weren't filming.
>>
>tfw they cut a bit from the film where the Joker walks up to an old lady on the street and... gives her a $100 bill

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN
>>
>>94928280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRY-BjdqJM
Fairly normally it seems.
He did what could be considered improv with the initial make up look, directing the torture vid and his interactions and reactions but nothing to make mama freak.

>>94928401
I was just watching some scenes from Lords of Dogtown, did he skate before that or was it a carry over?
Either way I loved him in that. He was laying it on think with Skip's personality, but that's what made him seem so endearing. He seems like someone trying to impress upon others this larger than life persona who has it all figured out and all the control with ease of character, but as the movie goes on it becomes clear how lost he is in a world where despite how he sees himself he has to recognize everyone else he previously believed he held influence over seems to be excelling or moving on from him.
Whole thing has a bittersweet atmosphere of people who were too big for their britches but you still sympathize when they're unceremoniously humbled by reality.

Pardon my /tv/ ranting.
>>
>>94927357
he made the suit himself
it's mentioned when he turns himself in
>>
>>94928464
he's an absolute madman.
>>
>>94928582
>it's mentioned when he turns himself in

They don't say the suit is handmade. They say custom made, which people can do when they have money to not just buy off the rack, or so I'm told.

Not that the image of his Joker working away at a sewing machine isn't somewhat endearing, but....
>>
>>94928280
Apparently he sent people used condoms to show how legitimately insane he was.
>>
>>94927357
Joker has always been famous for his taste in suits and italian shoes, his image in general was important to him until recently and it was a joke too since he's well...him

his new behavior as terrorist got him simple tastes as gasoline.
>>
>>94927357
I don't know why I love this man so much hehehe
>>
>>94927357
As that one criminal says, it's war paint. It's supposed to look intimidating. And it's probably cheaply self-applied so no full coverage, that requires hours in a make-up chair.
>>
>>94927632
Here's that part I was talking about.
Correction, Joker was looking for a tell, not concern and Joker doesn't really mock the cops beforehand, it's afterward he makes the dismissive remark about morals, structure and authority.

>JOKER: Those mob fools want you dead so they can get back to the way things were. But I know the truth: there's no going back. You've changed things. Forever.

>BATMAN: Then why do you want to kill me?

>The Joker starts laughing. After a moment he's laughing so hard it sounds like sobbing.

>JOKER: Kill you? I don't wanna kill you. What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No. No. No! No you-you complete me.

>BATMAN: You're garbage who kills for money.

>JOKER: Don't talk like one of them, you're not. Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're a freak. Like me. They just need you right now.

>He regards Batman with something approaching pity.

>JOKER (cont'd): But as soon as they don't they'll cast you out. Like a leper.

>The Joker looks into Batman's eyes. Searching.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.