[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canadian LCS owner blames current Marlel for store's closure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 504
Thread images: 55

File: 1297985747264_ORIGINAL[1].jpg (258KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
1297985747264_ORIGINAL[1].jpg
258KB, 650x433px
>One of the biggest factors in the sales decline, [owner of London, Ontario, Canada-based The Comic Book Collector Tim] Morris says, is the proliferation of needless, low-quality books the last few years from Marvel Comics especially. “Marvel Comics has been doing a bunch of crap for the last five years,” he said. So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four. “Give me one good Deadpool book,” Morris said.

>There’s also a disconnect between the company’s comic universe and the cinematic one.

>“(Fixing) continuity would bring a lot of people back,” Morris added.

>He’ll have customers come in the store fresh from the multiplex who are confused because they don’t understand why the Hulk’s alter ego, Bruce Banner, is dead.

>And Spider-Man is Hispanic.

>And Thor is a woman.

Sauce: http://www.lfpress.com/2017/08/25/forest-citys-first-comic-book-store-shutting-doors-after-38-years-due-to-declining-sales-and-changing-times
>>
>>94910064
>So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four
see this is what they keep doing, one book does good so they make 5 versions of that book and wonder why they don't sell
>>
>>94910064
>he says, while wearing a Batman shirt
I'm not saying he's wrong about the general quality of Marvel books but he's doing a poor job of looking unbiased.

Peter's still around and so is "Odinson" and movie synergy didn't ever bring shit for sales.
>>
>>94910064
>There’s also a disconnect between the company’s comic universe and the cinematic one.

Good.

It's weird, synergy was bad but what Marvel has done lately is the opposite and actually worse.
>>
>>94910064
So is this a jab at DC or Marvel? Does it mean Marvel is not pulling in their fair share of readers with good stories? Or that DC's books are not better than Marvels to make up the difference?
>>
>>94910064

But... original flavor Spider man and Thor have books about them.
>>
People here keep talking about how they dread the MCU becoming popular because this meant synergy with the movies.

So far, the OPPOSITE is what's killing Marvel.
>>
>>94910064

Miles only got ONE book. There are literally THREE peter parker books.
>>
Stores closing is a very good thing, sooner this industry dies, closer this medium will get to being taken seriously.
>>
>>94910128
Marvel fans say Marvel sucks now.
>>
>>94910138
The article has no mention of DC or any of its characters and titles.

>>94910201
The article also forgot to respond to those aforementioned customers that Peter Parker STILL exists.
>>
>>94910128
>This guy ruined his livelihood and is blaming Marvel because his shirt clearly outs him as a DCFag.
>>
>>94910230
Not to mention, Bruce banner is back.
>>
>>94910230
>The article has no mention of DC or any of its characters and titles.
Sorry but BATMAN is mentioned.
>>
The Comic Book Collector also has a Facebook page but its posts are mostly about capeshit and mainstream geek culture.
>>
>>94910064
why didn`t he stop to buy the Marvel`s "needless, low-quality books"?
>>
>>94910266
Then why OP blame it on marvel?
>>
are the LCS obligated to buy all the books? Can not they choose which to buy and in which quantity?
>>
>>94910386
>>94910230
>>94910138

Absolute cretin here today.

>Morris says, is the proliferation of needless, low-quality books the last few years from Marvel Comics especially.
>From Marvel Comics especially
>Marvel Comics especially
>Marvel Comics
>Marvel

I wonder who it was a shot at.
>>
Soooo DC, Indie Books and(Possibly) Mangas are nothing as well??
>>
>>94910506
Marvel makes it so you have to by "x" amount of America to get "x" amount of variants on "x" book.

Basically if you want what the casuals will buy you have to take what nobody will buy.
>>
>>94910064
>clearly doesnt like marvel
>continues to sell marvel
why didnt he stick to selling just DC like a bitch?
>>
File: 1391257977586.gif (576KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
1391257977586.gif
576KB, 238x211px
>diversity is our strength
>>
>>94910523
wheres your sauce on that. I havent heard that before
>>
>>94910064
Oh fuck off, I'm getting tired of these sanctimonious LCS owners. For fuck's sake, you bet your monies on a dying medium powered primarily by an ass-backwards industry, if you were a smart business man (and not a fanboy, like most of them) you would know this is a bad idea. And if Marvel's practices were so bad, why the fuck didn't you stop ordering their shit a long time ago?
>>
>>94910513
Marvel's job is to sell. DC's job is to make good comics. Only one of them is holding up their end.
>>
>>94910541
>Why doesn't he just refuse to sell 45% of his possible business?
Lot of econ majors here in /co/.
>>
>>94910559
honestly, you must be pretty new. This is and has been well discussed here.

I have no interest in archiving this. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/22/retailers-now-know-exactly-how-many-comics-to-overorder-to-qualify-for-those-incentives/

Many other sources from the alst 5 years on google. "Marvel variant order practices" or something should do.

This is pretty common info.
>>
>>94910562
Hi Alonso, how is ms Amanat in bed?
>>
>>94910064
Why don't these fucks just start selling manga as well and cash in on the weeb market?
>>
>>94910576
marvel?
>>
this guy sounds like an idiot.
>>
>>94910576
I wonder if people on /co/ actually believe this... there must be a couple of them, at least.
>>
>>94910579
>Claim product doesnt sell
>Stock it anyway
econ 101
>>
>>94910618
>Marvel
>selling
Did you miss the fact that their sales are so bad that they're causing the industry to literally collapse on itself? They are solely responsible for dozens of LCSs shutting down.
>>
>>94910623
Because he is
>He’ll have customers come in the store fresh from the multiplex who are confused because they don’t understand why the Hulk’s alter ego, Bruce Banner, is dead.
>And Thor is a woman.

Let's say that's all true (he gets a significant amount of customers that watched capeshit movies and want to read comics), but it's probably not. Sell them a FUCKING TRADE with Banner or Peter or Thor, do your job.
>>
>>94910646
>>94910541

You don't understand how comics, particularly marvel, work.

You can't just not order it.

If you made it past econ 101 you would know that supply and demand isn't the end all be all fuckwit.
>>
>>94910611

>amazing bookstore in town
>usually pick something up from there every time I'm there for some reason
>has been awhile
>huge fantasy section, tons of boardgames too
>go in recently after a year of not seeing it
>entire fucking fantasy/sci-fi section is nothing but manga

DRIZZT. MANGA AND FUCKING DRIZZT. Don't shovel that manga shit into a perfectly good store, it ruins everything. Read your chinese panty books online like everyone else does.
>>
>>94910064
It could also be because Canada's economy is in the shitter and we don't have the cash to spend on comics
>>
>>94910664
Why would they pay what it costs there? People don't want to buy a book they want to buy a comic. It's a thing, not a story to them. They think "gee I just saw a comic movie, lets check out these comic things." then they get to the store it's all different characters and they're told "buy this 20-30 dollar book of stories from 5-30 years ago".

Then they say no, go online and steal the comics if they're interested int he story, or buy the book for 15 dollars on amazon if they wanted a thing still.
>>
>>94910657
did you miss their earnings report because your bias opinion?
>>
File: brilliant.jpg (27KB, 244x363px) Image search: [Google]
brilliant.jpg
27KB, 244x363px
>The store’s third owner, Morris, 60, says he simply can’t afford to sink any more cash into the venture.

>Steve Jewett sold it to Morris, a self-described “huge geek” in 2001. He regrets it’s closing before what would be the Comic Book Collector’s 40th anniversary in 2019.

Bwahahaha, so a JEWett sold it to this dumbass fanboy (>muh continuity) who sunk it and he's blaming Marvel.

Good job, idiot.
>>
>>94910064
>And Thor is a woman.
Yeah, that would confuse a lot of people

I don't mean to get into another debate but there was one of those "manga publication vs. comcs" threads the other day and when someone brought up that 'manga is better because one author, one publication, one story. You don't need to go reading back issues or crossover events to understand things" he was responded with "hurr that's why there's relaunches and new arcs you don't have to read everything".

Well sure, you don't have to read everything but if you're new, you have to read something, maybe even a fair amount of "somethings". And that's what's killing Marvel right now
>>
>>94910664
Beyond even that, Peter has like 5 books while Miles has 1. If someone comes in wanting a Spider-man comic after having seen Homecoming, do you:
>try to sell them one of the 5 books about Peter
or
>tell them that Peter was replaced by some hispanic kid and not to bother
Or sell them back-issues or trades.
>>
>>94910686
>You can't just not order it.
sounds like bullshit. His claim is it doesnt sell. he doesnt have to buy it
>>
>>94910720
Did you miss the shift key, shill?
>>
>>94910737
>sounds like bullshit. His claim is it doesnt sell. he doesnt have to buy it

He does have to buy it. Comics distribution is handled by a monopoly that will blacklist any store that tries to pick and choose which titles they order. This is what happens in an excessively laissez-faire economic system.
>>
>>94910711
Look, all I'm saying is, you've already fucked up by investing your livelihood in a retarded industry. Mistakes have been made.

Now, if a dumbass normie customer walks into your store asking to read about Thor, sell him one of your cheapest, Thor trades from 2000. Tell him it's fucking awesome even if it's not. Tell him the next movie is based on this story even if it's not. That's all you need to do. No customer walks out empty handed.
>>
>>94910704
I don't read manga but I know that every nerdy fuck at my high school used to read manga and only me and one other kid used to read comics and would constantly complain about the local bookstores/libraries having an extremely limited selection, I only graduated last year and I'm just saying that it's currently very profitable.
>>
>>94910736
There are three LCS in my town, and I can attest one of the store owners does that. He complains aloud about the stories that he's selling to his customers. Why the fuck would you do that? It may endear him to his regulars of course, but it's a retarded practice that will take him out of business sooner or later.

There is a not small amount of LCS owners that are dumb fanboys and shit businessmen.
>>
>>94910143
>>94910230
Peter still exists in 3 main books, but in one book, he's Tony Stark, in another book, he's a married man and father, and in the the third book, he's a cartoonishly absurd manchild.
>>
>>94910720
The term is "biased opinion" anon. Not "bias opinion". A biased opinion is a bias (in a sloppily defined sense).

But also, Marvel's earnings are beside the point. You don't know much about comics if you think they matter to this discussion.

>>94910737
I'm not even wasting time telling you why your wrong when I've provided a link in this very fucking thread you insufferable faggot. You don't know a fucking thing about business or econ. Shut the fuck up.

>>94910786
Look, you think you know what the fuck you're talking about, that's clear, but you don't, that's even more clear.

Welcome to comics, your in for some fun with a whole lot of bullshit. I suggest you check the req lists so you don't waste your time reading garbage. But, what am I saying, you don't want to actually read comics. You just want to act ike your HS business class knowledge is anything more than useless.
>>
>>94910772
This. You're literally FORCED to buy Marvel's garbage and if you try and tell them no then they put you out of business by not allowing you to get ANY comics. Every LCS owner has to desperately tip-toe around and do whatever Marvel wants or else they get the dreaded:
>sorry, you're not diverse enough to be a LCS
email from Diamond and that's it. Try being a LCS when you're not able to sell comics because you didn't order enough copies of America or Squirrel Girl.
>>
>>94910772
Hello /x/. nice conspiracy.
>>
>ITT: People who took a business course think Marvel is running a business instead of a scheme.

alternatively

>ITT: People who know how the business works are being told they're idiots by people who don't know how the business works.

Anyone saying "why don't they just not sell marvel" are the type of idiots that say "if you don't like their casting make your own movie". Completely devoid of any semblance of a factual basis.
>>
>>94910664
>>94910736
The big 2 and comic shops thrive on selling NEW comics. Not trades or back issues. You don't know how the industry works.
>>
>>94910513
In most comic shops only the big 2 really sell that much so if Marvel doesn't sell, it's hard for just DC to keep it afloat and vice versa.
>>
>>94910735
>but if you're new, you have to read something
Wikipedia. It's what I did. Works fine.
>>
>>94910611
You literally can't you fucking faggot. You have no idea how the industry works.
>>
>>94910523
Casuals are the last people who give a fuck about variants. No casual is going to spend $50+ for a $4 comic just because it has a different cover. That's something collectors and speculators do, neither of which actually give a fuck about the contents of the comic.
>>
>>94910845
>I don't know how the industry works but I totally got a C in my high school econ class so I know everything about this industry that I know nothing about!!!
Holy shit the people in this thread are fucking retards. Stop pretending like you know what you're talking about because you don't. That's not how the industry works. You can't just not order their comics. See: >>94910604

There's this thing called "diamond." Look it up.
>>
>>94910892
It's abundantly clear that anyone disagreeing with these posts has no clue what they're talking about. They took econ 101 (just econ, not even micro or macro), learned supply and demand and think that it applies to comics.

Comics are most like the drug trade. If a dealer has a kid that wants to be fronted an OZ he's going to tell the kid to do two. Knowing he wont flip enough by the time he has to re-up, or at a price that he can't recoup, so that he HAS to take the next two in the hopes that he can pay off the remainder from the first two.

You've got your sellers as hooked on the product as their customers.

>>94910976
any store selling variants for that much is likely on the brink of closure. And variants are exactly what casuals want, what the fuck are you talking about? Normies don't know about them but that's the type of shit a casual will go in and buy thinking "thise could be worth something".
>>
>And Thor is a woman.
You know I can understand these complaints because the iconic characters should be available in some recognizable form, but Amazing Spider-Man is where you go for Peter, who cares about Bendis's pet project that will only exist as long as he's around and will disappear once he stops writing it.
>>
>>94910976
Not to mention, the store owners themselves either collect the variants or try to sell them online for big bucks. Can't complain about the problem when you're part of it.
>>
>>94911006
>buy thinking "thise could be worth something
That's called a speculator, which I mentioned. A casual speculator buys #1s thinking they'll be worth something, not variants.
>>
>>94910842
Why don't LCS just contact DC and other companies directly? I can't imagine that DC wouldn't be on board to hurt the competition
>>
>>94910266

DC has problems as well but if you're walking in from the movies or even the TV shows you can find a title with the heroes you're looking for.
>>
>>94911032
You can't, retard. You have no idea how the business works. See: >>94910996
>>
>y-you can't just stop ordering Marvel
>you have to comply to everyone of their demands
>tons of reports coming in this week about retailers cutting down orders on Marvel
>b-b-b-but!!

Maybe they're just scared little bitches?
>>
>>94910845
Why are retards from /tv/ allowed to post on this board?
>>
>>94911009
>Amazing Spider-Man is where you go for Peter,
Have you read ASM lately? And by lately I mean the last 10 years. Slott has been ruining the character for that long. Spidey was once their top seller in the entire industry. Now he can't outsell event books, and those event books can't outsell regular Batman books.
>>
>>94911032
Why do you continue to ask these questions. Please, I know it's unarchived but jsut go read that story. It touches on it Google diamond as the other anon said.

None of this is secretive or even attempted to be hidden. It's very well documented. I know it stings to find out your high scool econ teacher was wrong but no two industries are the same.
>>
File: waifu.jpg (67KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
67KB, 1080x1080px
>Thor is a woman
Not an issue when her story is good.

The issue is when it's shit, or if the character isn't white. At least those are my issues with a lot of current Marvel.
>>
>>94911051
Cutting down orders on Marvel, yes. Not cutting out completely. Despite Marvel's low sales, they're still what brings people into shops. If Marvel dies, the industry dies. As a DCfag, even I know this.
>>
>>94910892
>The big 2 and comic shops thrive on selling NEW comics.
Not judging by the OP they don't.
>>
>>94911045
>>94911095
>Diamond has monoply on distribution
>cut out the middle man (diamond) and contact the companies directly
>???
>profit
I don't see the problem
>>
>>94911116
You don't understand the mindset of casuals.
>I want to buy Thor
>Wait, dat ain't Thor, it's some girl
>Never mind, I'll buy something else somewhere else
>>
>>94911116
But Rooney if this comic book that I haven't been following in YEARS isn't exactly how I think it should be than it must be bad.

Don't get me wrong this was a legit gripe when it started but by this point people walking in surprised about Jane clearly aren't part of the regular comic readership and likely isn't going to be buying comic books with any sort of regularity.
>>
>>94910138
DC comics can't make up the difference. Marvel are the main money earners for comic book shops.

Without Marvel, the comic books industry dies.
>>
>>94911146
Do you have reading comprehension? He went out of business because his new comics wouldn't sell. This confirms that new comics are the lifeblood of the industry.
>>
>>94911151
Why doesn't Warner Bros just make marvel movies to compete with Disney?

This is what you sound like.
>>
>>94911051
If DC Comics and other smaller publishers were able to make up for Marvel's unit share, there'd be no problem, unfortunately they can't. Marvel Zombies, deprived of Marvel comics they want to buy, simply don't come into the store at all.
>>
>>94910138
Marvel is too big, if they go down everyone goes with them.
>>
>>94911151
The companies have to work through Diamond. DC is literally not allowed to sell comics directly since they have to use Diamond and Diamond has deals in place with Disney's Marvel where they won't distribute to stores that don't stock enough orders of Marvel's "recommended" (read: required) comics which are almost all exclusively SJW pandering comics that don't sell. Then they'll also overship comics so if you buy the required, say, 5 issues, then they'll send you an additional 15 issues and you have to pay for the shipping on that. So now you have 20 issues of a comic that doesn't sell and you just blew your weekly budget on shipping costs for books you didn't want in the first place.

That's just how the industry works. If you're not going to google diamond and look into this stuff yourself then just fucking leave. Don't even reply to this post until you've educated yourself.
>>
>>94911116
>when her story is good.
But it isn't. When Whor isn't constantly winning, she's punching the "patriarchy" or throwing meta jabs against fans of the REAL Thor.

Fucking "Asgardia"? Fucking "All Mother"? Really, Rooney? You're better than this, even for a tripfag.
>>
>>94911174
>if they aren't already religiously buying comics then they don't matter

And yet everyone wonders why comic books sell like shit despite the movies constantly breaking box office records.
>>
>>94911092
Superior was huge, Slott just dropped the ball with Spider-Verse and Dead No More. He can bounce back, he's done it before (Spider-Man sales before Superior).
>>
>>94911151
Anon, you aren't smarter than an entire industry. You may think we're just to deluded anons on /co/ but we're not telling you you're wrong because we like Diamond. We're telling you you're wrong because we all hate Diamond.
>>
>>94911206
What? That would mean DC and Marvel are owned by the same company.
>>
>>94911250
All-mother and Asgardia happened in Fraction's run years before Jane became Thor.
>>
>>94911242
So why does DC even have this deal in place? How does it benefit them?
>>
>>94911251
if it applies to sjw than it applies to the once a year characterfags

You can't cater to people that don't buy.
>>
>>94911216
So shouldn't we place more of the blame on DC (or Image) for not being able to surpass Marvel, even when Marvel's quality is an all time low. You'd think that right now is the time to take their true place at the top of the hill. I mean, DC comics are so wonderful.

Maybe blaming DC for anything is taboo on /co/? Hmmmm.
>>
>>94911255
Superior was a gimmick that banked on the fact that Peter Parker was fucking DEAD and one of his villains was wearing his skin. It also arbitrarily turned Black Cat 180 degrees into a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Fuck that.
>>
>>94911277
Are you really this fucking dense?
>>
>>94911303
It benefits them because its their only option. Stop asking stupid questions that could be answered just by doing some googling and light research into diamond.
>>
>>94911278
Irrelevant. It's all part of the same push to embrace feminism by tearing down a perceived patriarchy. It's all the same meta context. "tear down patriarchy and build up matriarchy" Whor was just the shit cherry on the shit sundae.
>>
>>94911306
So you're saying that comic books should just give up and accept that their biggest book will never sell as much as the average movie last, game, or television show?
>>
>>94910064
LCS owner has only themself to blame for stocking inferior quality product
>>
>>94911355
>It's all part of the same push to embrace feminism
Again, this happened back in early 2011, years before any of the "SJW" shit in comics.
>>
>>94911311
Marvel characterfags want Marvel comics starring their favorite characters in stories they want to read. It's difficult trying to get them to be as passionate about anything else.
>>
Is /co/ really this ignorant about their own fucking board subject?
>>
>>94911371
Read the thread, retard. You're FORCED to buy those comics. Fucking educate yourself, shill.
>>
>>94911311
It's not about assigning blame, you dumb millennial. It's about determining the source of the sales problem and fixing it. Stop trying to fuel console wars.
>>
>>94911384
What do you expect? They don't call this place /co/mblr for nothing.
>>
>>94911382
We've established marvelfags are not going to buy other shit. Now, how about some new customers?
>>
>>94910138
Considering he brings up the issues with movies it's clearly Marvel.
>>
File: co in charge of comic history.png (27KB, 1102x440px) Image search: [Google]
co in charge of comic history.png
27KB, 1102x440px
>>94911384
This image was created in 2013 before Marvel's huge downturn but I don't feel like marking that out.
>>
>>94910168
The matter is trying to create the synergy and doing it wrong on top of that is what's killing Marvel.
>>
>>94911116
Maybe Marvel should focus on making interesting original female characters instead of replacing already popular male characters.
>>
>>94911418
>They don't call this place /co/mblr for nothing.
Exactly. They call this place /co/mblr simply to bait for (You)s. Like you for instance. Have one on me.

Product consumers aren't required to know how the industry works, folks. The consumer's job is to consume. I know some anons are saying some really stupid shit itt, but that's because they want to help. Forgive their ignorance.
>>
>>94911412
Kid, the thread topic literally is
>Canadian LCS owner blames current Marlel for store's closure
>owner blames current
>blames
>>
>>94911418
What does tumblr have to do with fucking anything? Are you really so obsessed with tumblr that you need to shove it into every conversation you possibly can?
>>
>>94911484
That's a clickbait thread title, you fucking dunce. Just because op wants to cause a shitstorm doesn't mean you have to contribute to it.
>>
>>94911463
They didn't replace him. He's still running about having his own journey. He's coming back anyway though, so whatever. Marvel don't understand what makes great comics.
>>
>>94911420
>thinking new customers is a thing in this industry

You must be new yourself.

Congratulations, you're a unicorn.
>>
>>94911384
To be fair, the cancer that is Diamond is only a thing in America. Other markets have more than one distributor and comics are fairly niche in the states in the first place. They are a big thing in pop culture but rarely anyone actually reads them.
>>
>>94911006
There's a lot of people in /co/ that doesn't understand the difference between a casual and a normie.
>>
>>94911353
There's always other options. There's so many distribution companies out that are willing to do it cheaper and less stringent. DC and Marvel deserve to fail if they think Diamond is the only option
>>
>>94911511
>He's still running about having his own journey.
They would have killed him if they could, but he was already dead before, so instead they made him unworthy for the dumbest reason imaginable, then slapped "Unworthy" on all his current book covers. Because that totally respects the character.
>>
>>94911520
There are, both floppies and trades have been growing every year since 2011. Unfortunately, Marvel shitting the bed has made floppy growth sluggish, and they also sabotage their own trades because they don't want to floppy buyers transitioning into trade waiters.
>>
>>94911551
There literally isn't. Educate yourself before you pretend an econ 101 class makes you a master businessman for an industry you know absolutely nothing about.
>>
>>94911174
There's the problem that people isn't getting into comics. There's people that simply stops but not people getting in.
>>
>>94911553
Did you think he was Unworthy from the writing in the book? He seemed pretty worthy to me, Anon. Everyone loves an under-dog.
>>
>>94911577
>Everyone loves an under-dog.
And yet you prefer the bitch. Is it because she's your waifu?
>>
>>94911508
>It's about determining the source of the sales problem and fixing it.

Wait, do you actually think we're doing anything purposeful ITT and we're gonna fix the industry when we reach 500 posts, or we're just here to complain about why our husbando Thor was replaced by a girl with cooties?

I mean, from everything I've read here, you guys have the whole problem figured out already:
>Marvel is publishing genderswapped and raceswapped characters
>Marvelfags aren't buying them because not muh
>Sales overall are down because most customers are Marvelfags
>If Marvel stops selling that shit then everything's fixed
>But then again the only way to make them change is to stop buying their comics
>Which effectively puts shops out of business, aggravating the problem

While all of this is happening, DC is jacking off in the corner waiting for sweet death.

Cool.
>>
>>>94911379
>Before the SJW shit
Matt Fraction has been married to KSD since the early 2000s, lad.
>>
File: 1432724756686s.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1432724756686s.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>94910845
The Marvel Defence Force is in full swing today and they are fucking retarded as expected
>>
>>94911705
What do you expect, they don't call this place /co/mblr for nothing.
>>
File: 1481332980884.gif (1MB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
1481332980884.gif
1MB, 610x457px
>>94911384
Imagine if every other board was like /co/.

>WHY IS MARIO EXCLUSIVE TO THE NINTENDO SWITCH WHY CANT NINTENDO PORT IT TO THE XBOX???
>IF STAR WARS IS SO SUCCESSFUL THEN WHY IS DISNEY THE ONLY COMPANY MAKING STAR WARS MOVIES???
> I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WHY ARE THE PEOPLE IN THIS CARTOON ONLY SPEAKING JAPANESE???
>IF SEGA WANTED TO WIN THE CONSOLE WARS THEN WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT MARIO ON THE GENESIS???
>WHAT IS A LINUX AND HOW DO I INSTALL IT ON MY WINDOWS 10???
>WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP GETTING BANNED FROM THE LEAGUE BECAUSE THEY TOOK STEROIDS???
>HOW DO I SHOT GUN???

Terrifying.
>>
>Blaming new trades from Marvel over your store being closed down

If this guy was in business for almost 40 years then you'd think he'd understand everything that makes comic shops worth going to nowadays. Or maybe he's just completely out of touch and doesn't get why the few shops still around get as much business as they do.

>Did he host Friday Night Magic?
>Did he promote and sell board games / tabletop RPGs?
>Did he ever have his bins of old trades on sale?
>Did he cut back on his Marvel orders?
>Did he ever make personal recommendations to sell the issues with Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, and OG Thor?
>>
>>94911179
I was being sarcastic you colossal fucking sperg.
>>
>>94911734
See
>>94910732
>>
File: angryfrogposter.jpg (53KB, 600x594px) Image search: [Google]
angryfrogposter.jpg
53KB, 600x594px
>>94911151
You're so fucking stupid it's actually enraging me right now, if this is bait then you're doing an excellent job
>>
>>94911565
But there literally is. Thisisn't communist Russia, this is the capitalistic United States. No reason some other company can't come in and put diamond out of business
>>
This thread is what happens when the Cartoon side of /co/ tries to fit in with the Comics side because they've watched the movies and read Wikipedia.
>>
>>94911669
>Wait, do you actually think we're doing anything purposeful ITT
Purposeful yeah. Useful? Probably not. This thread is about discussion. The matter that the PUBLISHERS need to handle is how to fix the problem. That's not for us to take care of. But if we can at least identify the real issues, we can at least cure some of the ignorance itt.
>>
>>94911755
and there's no reason marvel can't make a batman movie
>>
>>94910064
Alt-Right is right.
>>
>>94911755
Even if a comic distrubutor with the resources to do everything Diamond does DID somehow spring fucking wholecloth out of the ether, guess what?

Nobody COULD switch to them because they're under fucking CONTRACT to be exclusive to Diamond.
>>
>>94911311
Straight up kill yourself. I don't know if all the posting in this thread is Grade A trolling or not but holy shit you guys sound like fucking mongoloids
>>
>>94911565
all these fucking shills for Diamond.
And WHY is Diamond the only option for comics distribution? how did this happen? who set it up to be this way?
inb4 "it just just is, stop asking questions, stupid comic nerd, blah blah Econ 101"
>>
>>94911754
I don't see how it's bait. Seems like a very logical plan and if the owner would've done that, he'd probably still be in business
>>
>>94911116
>or if the character isn't white
Opinion invalidated.
>>
>>94911744
Stop trying to be sarcastic on the internet. There are a lot of sincere idiotic statements these days, and too few sarcastic ones. It's usually impossible to tell the difference.
>>
>>94911746
Because he was busy sinking his money into the wrong resources all these years.

He had well over two decades to start adapting to the times and clean up his store's act. I'll bet my bottom dollar he refused to change a single thing about his store and had his fingers crossed when customers stopped coming in.
>>
>>94911790
I don't get your bait but here's a you for ya buddy since you obviously need attention

>>94911805
There are lawyers that specialize in that type of thing.
>>
>>94911809
Why doesn't DC make an avengers movie?
>>
When will Didio, Jim Lee and rest of DCchads surge a surgical strike on Diamond headquarters to save the whole industry?
>>
>>94911852
>There are lawyers that specialize in that type of thing.

No, no, anon, contracts are set in stone, they are nature's law and can never be changed whatsoever.
>>
Is there any chance of the Diamond monopoly being broken up anytime soon? Surely their classification as a magazine distributor is a massive loophole that should be addressed.
>>
>>94911807
>Straight up kill yourself.

Make you a deal: I'll do it when DC's industry share is above Marvel's, how about that, sweetie? Any minute now...
>>
>>94911720
>HOW DO I SHOT GUN???
As someone who frequents /k/, you wound me with the accuracy of that statement.
>>
>>94910143
But the comic labelled "Spiderman" is a black kid
The comic labelled "Thor" is a woman

The general public will not put in any effort to seek out the characters they want.
>>
>>94911384
4chan boards outside of a few are just idiots shitposting about things they know nothing bout. Go to /tv/ and you'll see a child's understanding of the medium of film
>>
File: comics medium.jpg (168KB, 563x572px) Image search: [Google]
comics medium.jpg
168KB, 563x572px
>>94911840
>He had well over two decades to start adapting to the times and clean up his store's act.

You would think a self-describe huge geek would know that!
>>
>>94910201
But the Miles book is called "Spiderman".
Try explaining to someone, who only watches the films, that there are two spidemen, both with the same name. And if they want Peter they have to choose between Company CEO or totally unrelated married father. Most will say "Nevermind" over having to research this shit on top of continuity.
>>
>>94910832
I thought he was a cartoonishly absurd manchild in the Tony Stark books as well?
>>
File: 562.png (627KB, 1597x1600px) Image search: [Google]
562.png
627KB, 1597x1600px
>>94911812
Subtle
>>
>>94911116
>the character isn't white

Uh, Rooney...y-you're not a r-racist are you?
>>
>DC selling like hot cakes
>Marvel not so much
>Store shuts down
>blame Marvel
>don't blame the people who aren't buying comics to support their lcs
I guess we all need a scapegoat from time to time
>>
>>94911031
>casual speculator
A bit of a oxymoron. Speculators have done a modicum of research at least and think they know the trends and possibilities (and if they ahve a brain recognize there are no possibilities any more.)

Casuals saw the movies, know some comics have sold at auction and think "whats the rare cover?". The "rare" cover is the different one that's in the box next to the register rather than the stack of similar ones on the shelf.

So they pay 10 dollars for the variant, making it so the LCS owner made some money back on those dead stock America issue he needed to order for said variant.

>>94911544
it's true. And there's actually a major distinction especially in a context like this. Casuals are exploitable because they think they know something. Normies just see the movie cause it was out and looked cool or their casual friend was going.

The only "comic" store a normie would ever visit is Newbury "Comics".
>>
>>94911957
Really, the solution should be to put out a "Marvel Proudly Presents" line that follows the movie continuity and is easier for the general public to digest. The only hiccup would he actor likeness fees, but they could probably get around that with the right artists.
>>
>>94911874
>contracts are set in stone, they are nature's law and can never be changed whatsoever.
This kind of thinking is why comic book industry is dying
>>
File: 608.jpg (67KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
608.jpg
67KB, 709x765px
>>94911768
This thread is fucking embarrassing
>>
>>94911916
there's currently five books being published with Spider-Man in their title right now, and Miles is only the main character in one of them.
amazing, spectacular, RNV and & Deadpool all feature Peter Parker as Spider-Man
>>
>>94911983
I don't understand the crux here. Are you saying they shouldn't blame Marvel? They should blame customers for not wanting to buy trash?

or was this sarcastically saying that they shouldn't blame anyone but marvel?

I don't get it. The first four points all lead somewhere. And then the last one is "but that's all bullshit."
>>
>>94911809
>And WHY is Diamond the only option for comics distribution? how did this happen? who set it up to be this way?
Massive market crash in the late 90s. Diamond isn't the only distributor around, it's just the only distributor that deals with comic books; it's not a de jure monopoly.

>>94911852
>>94911874
Realistically they probably do have long-term contracts with Diamond, the bigger issue is whether or not another distributor could match or beat Diamond's price and distribution capacity.
>>
>>94910553

>national IQ goes down

>>
>>94911983
>DC selling like hot cakes

Not really though, or not enough.
>>
Serious question: are there really people out there that ONLY read Marvel comics? And I don't mean some of the time (like how right now I'm not reading marvel cause their books are bad) but I mean all the time?

Every comic reader I know either reads Marvel and DC or reads a variety of other publishers.
>>
>>94911957
A halfway decent salesman could easily explain everything in a minute or two and most everyone understands the concept of adaptation changes.
>>
>>94910128
>I'm not saying he's wrong about the general quality of Marvel books but he's doing a poor job of looking unbiased.
Guy owned a comicbook store, what else is he going to wear? Especially if he isn't very fond of Marvel at the moment?
>>
>>94912063

They aren't on the same free-dive mode of failure as Marvel's comic department, so in comparison it looks like DC is successful.
>>
>>94910523
So? Buy 10 copies of America and that´s it, fuck the variants.

I think the blame is to the LCS owner that buys the 200 copies of America to get some variant covers, is his decision to buy 200 to only sell 5 and get stuck with 195. Marvel do not oblige them to buy them.
>>
>>94912095
A suit like a serious businessm- nah, who am I kidding.
>>
>>94911957
>Try explaining to someone, who only watches the films, that there are two spidemen, both with the same name. And if they want Peter they have to choose between Company CEO or totally unrelated married father. Most will say "Nevermind" over having to research this shit on top of continuity.

Do people complain about this with 2099 and ulitmate spider-man?
>>
>>94911856
the answer to your question is because Dc doesnt have the rights to the avengers.
As far as an answer to my question goes, its shit.
unless you're implying that Dc and Marvel "dont have the rights" in using a different distributor, in which case i would ask the exact same questions i put in the post you replied to
inb4 "no spoonfeeding"
>>
>>94911996
There are many reasons why that wouldn't work.
>>
>>94912034
thank you for asking my question. you legitimately helped me there
>>
>>94912088
>>94910143
>actually doing your job

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>94911384
This place is mostly cartoonfags Anon
>>
>>94910064
"I ran my store wrong, better blame it on darkies"
>>
>>94912030
The shop owner makes it sound like his store was dependent on Marvel to stay open, as if Marvel is the only comic distributor, and that's just not the case, where are his customers who are buying comics from DC Image and Dark Horse? How is it just Marvel's fault here that people aren't buying comics? Isn't that everyone's fault?
>>
>>94912187
It means, much like gun stores, comic book shops have a terrible tendency to be operated and staffed by hobbyists and enthusiasts rather than competent sales people.
>>
>>94912240
Assuming marketwide sales trends hold true to the individual retail level, for the sake of simplicity, Marvel products would account for 1/3 of his total business. Since comics aren't a product that are interchangeable, loss of sales in Marvel products don't mean customers will switch to another publisher.
>>
>>94912117
I think with 2099 it's very clear about its premise that it's in the far future.
>>
>>94912240
>Isn't that everyone's fault.

Honestly man, until you show us that you've taken any of our points and went on to research how comics are sold there really isn't much more to say.

You don't know as much about econ as you clearly seem to think and you don't know anything about the business of comics.

it's a legitimate monopoly. If you don't buy marvel diamond doesn't acknowledge you.
>>
>>94912240
In the past 20 years, I've seen a lot of Marvel fans online and offline who stopped reading comics altogether once they got disenchanted with Marvel. I think it's stupid but it happens.
>>
>>94912339
it´s true you will get your income reduced (a lot of people that used to buy Marvel will not buy DC) but getting marvel comics in your LCS and not sold them is worst because you are losing more money because there is no devolution.
>>
>>94912069
Retailers on twitter have talked about how they used to have people who would buy every Marvel comic. Over time it became "every X-Men/Avengers/Spider-Man" comic trickling down to nothing or next to nothing after Secret Wars.
>>
>>94912069
Nowadays I think that almost every casual that starts reading comics only buy Marvel+Batman.
>>
cant they just divide marvel? take the sjw stuff and make one firm, and take the rest of stuff and do comics for normal people. Then we can see what group actually buys comic books.
>>
>>94912395
This is true.

If you talk to someone who vehemently hates comics and they say they used to read them, ask them what books they read. 9 times out of 10 it will be X-men and Spider-man and nothing else.

Marvel is a factory for producing people who hate comics. They are good at attracting new readers but burn through them faster than any other company, and shrink the market even more every time.
>>
>>94910202
>sooner this industry dies, closer this medium will get to being taken seriously.

...And magic unicorns will come flying out.

If what you believed was actually true, Fantagraphics wouldn't have had to hold a fundraiser to keep their company afloat.
>>
>>94911511
its not just thor
Most new female heroes from marvel have just been women putting on the suit of an established male hero
Its like marvel simultaneous wants to push for female heroes but thinks that no one cares about female heroes so they put her on the coattails of a male hero
>>
>>94912633
nobody cares about non-legacy heroes when it comes to new characters. at all. they always sell like dogshit
>>
>>94912159
Aside from likeness rights, which are probably much more expensive than I think, what are they? This sounds like I'm questioning you but it seems like such an obvious thing there must be some good business reason for it.
>>
>>94912521
There something about marvel characters that makes them more appealing to the public and I honestly don't know why. I have watched X-Men & Spider-Man movies and Batman & Superman animated shows when I was a kid and only the former that I remember more fondly.

I mostly read DC when I recently started reading comics and I think that they are the better company to to be honest, but there's something about them that piss me off. Maybe because the way they keep pushing certain characters to the point that you start to hate them and ignore the rest.
>>
>>94912870
>There something about marvel characters that makes them more appealing to the public and I honestly don't know why.

They are marketed more.
>>
>>94911734
Looking at the other stores mentioned in the article, I don't think he did anything other than sell comics. L.A. Mood has friday night magic and board games, and Heroes Comics looks like they have two locations filled with trades, funkos, and other shit.
>>
>>94912870
marvel character are all fucked up so you feel better.
dc have some characters that are essentially good people and if you are not a good one you will not relate and hate it.
>>
>>94912184
And comics are legally magazines/books, so Diamond does not have a monopoly because technically other places could in theory carry them as well outside their publishing system

>In 1997, Diamond's position in the comics industry, as "the sole source of most new comics products to comics specialty shops," ultimately saw the company become the subject of "an investigation by the U.S. Justice department for possible antitrust violations."[3] The Justice Department launched an antitrust investigation into the comics industry and the alleged monopoly of Diamond Comics. The investigation was closed in November 2000, with no further action deemed necessary[16][17] on the basis that, although Diamond enjoyed a monopoly in the North American comic book direct market distribution, they did not enjoy a monopoly on book distribution (books including non-comic books).
>>
>>94912870
From me starting to read comics within the last year, my baby opinion is that I've noticed Marvel characters are more magical and have all these different crazy powers, and a lot of DC characters are more grounded in reality and use a lot of gadgets or have trinkets as the source of their power instead. Plus I think having batman alone makes DC seen as the more gritty dark side of comics
>>
>>94910318
I heard it isn't as simple as just stopping. Don't the distributors send stores the comics and automatically charges them?
>>
>>94910064
>So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four

Deadpool, Spider-Man/Deadpool, and... what are the other two exactly?
>>
>>94913021
Are you a child? People who like Marvel = bad people and the ones who like DC = good?

I think the reason why people don't give DC more chances because of fans like you.
>>
>>94913147
That's the opposite of what's true. You know Superman is DC, right?
>>
>>94913175
No idea, that´s why I asked but it seems that if you stop buying lots of them you will not get variants and that´s it, so there is no problem besides that.
>>
>>94910318
Because Diamond has them by the balls. You'll buy those books and like it.
>>
>>94913230
I guess he was talking about the mercs for money books?
>>
File: All-New GOTG overship.jpg (164KB, 1715x567px) Image search: [Google]
All-New GOTG overship.jpg
164KB, 1715x567px
>>94911242
>>94913301
>>94913175
Marvel has a tendency to send shit-loads of free copies of random books to boost their numbers. The retailer still has to pay for the extra shipping weight, and then find space in the store for the extra copies.

The Guardians of the Galaxy book was heavily overshipped, and now that #6 came out. the sales have dropped to 25K three months in
>>
File: 1503499546116.png (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1503499546116.png
10KB, 400x400px
>Diversity set up a stuntwoman for death
>Diversity closed comic shops
>Diversity ruined any chance of Marvel being taken seriously by the majority of comic culture
>Diversity has decreased con vendors' attendance

Why can't you /co/mblr faggots just admit this shit is cancer killing the industry? Fuck any of you who defend this.
>>
>>94913379
Man, that is pretty shitty

>>94913400
Fuck off faggot, you act like /co/ has control over it
>>
>>94913317
there is an actual proven fact of this or is only speculation?
There is some LCS owner that has said "If I don´t buy 500 comics of Squirrel girl, Captain Marvel, The crew and Moon girl they will not sell me any other marvel comic or dc, image, darkhorse, etc."?
>>
>>94910657
no LCS's not learning to adapt over the last 20 years and running their business shitty is causing them to fail.
>>
>>94913379
but are not those free comics for the LCS besides the extra shipping weight?
>>
>>94913400
Bad writing is the problem, not diversity. GET THAT IN YOUR THICK HEAD!
>>
File: EVERY TIME.jpg (25KB, 566x212px) Image search: [Google]
EVERY TIME.jpg
25KB, 566x212px
>>94910064
>So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four. “Give me one good Deadpool book,” Morris said.
He's talking about all of the side characters ( Foolkiller, Slapshot, ect ) getting books that no one asked for ( although I liked Foolkiller ) ON TOP of there being a Deadpool, Mercs for Money, Deadpool - Spider-man, and Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe ... Again!

Same thing happened with Black Panther: suddenly Black Panther solo plus World of Wakanda plus Black Panther and the Crew.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/
>>
>>94911242
no DC doesn't have to go through Diamond, it's just that it's cheaper and less risk for them to outsource to Diamond than deal with the hassle of setting up their own distribution system, especially since Marvel attempting that and failing massively is what led to Diamonds stranglehold today
>>
>>94910708
This is the correct answer, obviously. (Though it's not so much in the shitter as just never really having existed in the first place.)
>>
>>94913485
Free comics are worth jack shit if they don't sell. They aren't good for a nice BBQ with charcoal as the ink isn't healthy, the texture is awful to be used for toilet paper etc. You could only cut them in pieces and turn them into a collage, maybe some art guys are interested in a collage named "Death of LCS".
>>
>>94913344
He's also been here and there in Secret Empire if that counts for anything.
>>
>>94911407
yeah but he's not forced to sell just comics, he could have done what nearly every LCS that's still in business is doing which is make 95% of you money selling Magic:the Gathering and other game stuff which sells more and is more profitable than selling comics. Every print media has been in a slow death spiral for over a decade. Marvel may contribute but their aren't the sole cause and you either need to adapt or get out of the business
>>
>>94913485
Setting aside the shipping costs, if you can't sell them all they do is take up storage space. Depending on locality there might be tax issues as well. Most of the extra copies are going to be given away on the next Free Comic Day or dumped on a charity in an attempt to get a tax write-off.
>>
Yeah, if I made a store that does nothing but sell a shitty product, I'd probably blame the product's shiftiness for me going out of business. But what did I expect?
>>
>>94910506
>are the LCS obligated to buy all the books? Can not they choose which to buy and in which quantity?
No:
"For the Marvel Legacy event, the rules are not nearly as clear cut (and is constantly changing). At this point we need to order 100%-200% of our previous issue’s #’s in order to qualify to order any lenticular covers. There are also additional tiers which will qualify us for other variant covers. There is so much math involved that it is insane."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/23/industry-revolt-retailers-boycott-marvel-lenticular-covers/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/25/two-retailers-marvel-legacy-lenticular-dropout-jetpack-comics-jesse-james/
>>
>>94913640
ORDER ZERO ALREADY YOU FUCKS
>>
>>94913604
Or put them in the dollar bin.
>>
>>94913640
So? Order what you fucking want and FUCK OFF the lenticular cover!!
You think you will sell 20, ask for 20!!!!
>>
>>94910064
I have no sympathies for these people. Like others gave said, if Marvel fucked you in the ass then you're at fault for letting them. Marvel is not bugger than the industry and you can always stock up on manga, euro comics and magic cards, these along with the other many american comic book publishers is enough.
>>
>>94911809
Diamond is the only one because nobody else has gotten to the point where they want to spend money or take the risk on expanding or setting up their own distribution system. Mainly because Marvel attempted to do just that about 25 years ago and it was a massive failure and basically killed the few other distributors who were competing with Diamond at the time.
>>
File: same as it ever was.jpg (403KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
same as it ever was.jpg
403KB, 1680x1050px
>>94910657
>b-but Marble is failing! FAILING!
Unless you look at actual numbers, anon.

NB4: MUH OVERSHIPPING! ( Which doesn't have any effect of DOLLARS just UNITS but, of course, wouldn't fit the narrative ).
>>
Why can't they just stop stocking marvel and double down on DC and good indie titles?
>>
>>94913567
>>94913604
so? they are still free, they will not get you any financial problem (besides shipping), sell them at 50 cents (to recover shipping money) or give them free with another comic that sell less than your top sellers.
>>
File: IMG_1251.png (230KB, 420x323px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1251.png
230KB, 420x323px
>>94910128
>wearing a Marvel shirt after they destroyed your business and left you in financial ruin
>>
>>94913737
that is what everyone is asking but none knows why or know how to justify some rumors of why they think that happens.
>>
>>94913759
How big is your LCS? Most are pretty small, and don't have the space to store an unexpected 40 extra copies. Space is literally money
>>
>>94913775
>there are only two brands of shirts

Just like the comics!
>>
File: Comic_Book_Guy.jpg (21KB, 430x307px) Image search: [Google]
Comic_Book_Guy.jpg
21KB, 430x307px
>>94913737
>Why can't they just stop stocking marvel
Then they'd need to find a new scapegoat for their shop that's getting undercut by people just waiting for trades or buying online ( amazon, e-bay, comixology ) or both due to their running a shit business with shit customer support.

Image related isn't just a silly caricature I've met more than one neckbeard that was basically a Comic Book Guy cosplay-as-lifestyle.
>>
>>94913612

You expect to go out of business. Because the product is shitty. So when people ask, you say "Business declined because of shit products".Maybe they weren't shit when you started, but that's why you stayed in business then and are dropping out now.

If someone points out that you could stay in business by selling other products, you just kind of stare at them blankly while listening to their roundabout way of confirming that the products are shit, which is what you were just saying, and "we dumped all of comics and shifted to breads to stay in business" still confirms that the comics were shit.

But you're not giving an interview on your post comic shop plans. You're not giving an interview on the interesting breads you'll have to offer in your new bakery. You're talking about comics. How you wanted to sell them, and how you're now stopping because they're shit
>>
>>94913789
dude...40 comics, are like 30x25x15cm. Is not a mountain of comics!
And you can get them out selling them ridiculously cheap for a new comic or give them for free!
>>
>>94910143
>Thor
Unworthy Thor was a mini.
>>
>>94913790
He's having a rough spot and only the big two send comic shops feee shirts. Check your privilege
>>
>>94913790
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-zEH8YmiM
>>
>>94913492
We know. But when people are hired simply because of diversity, not on merit, you get bad writing.
Yes, non-diverse writers are also bad right now. But I'll take anything written by Bendis over anything written by America's writer.
>>
>>94913726
Whoever made this infographic needs to be shot fucking immediately.
>>
>>94913826
>blaming the shopowners for things beyond their control
>>
>>94913726
>(((Diamond))) statistics

In other news trump is totes Hitler gaiz
>>
>>94913885
That's just the overship for a single title. And you've got more overship coming in next month.

>>94913726
The overshipping is to keep Disney off their back. Low market share with high dollar share is a fairly risky place to be in for a business and is a poor position for growth. Overshipping allows them to smooth over sales losses and provide sales data that won't cause anyone too look twice at.
>>
>>94913980
>I am threatened by the objective truth of hard numbers
How ... Presidential.
>>
>>94913785
It's already been answered. You can stock all you want of a comic but it won't do you any good if customers don't buy.
>>
File: khaleese.jpg (224KB, 838x1407px) Image search: [Google]
khaleese.jpg
224KB, 838x1407px
>>94913980
>>94914009
>Look at all these diamond statistics, DC is selling really well
>Damn Diamond, always skewing the numbers in favor of Marvel
>>
File: 1502561069351.gif (1MB, 244x250px) Image search: [Google]
1502561069351.gif
1MB, 244x250px
>>94911167
Do casuals even buy comics in the first place?
>>94911174
True true
>>94911981
I'm from Scotland.
>>
File: dc.png (117KB, 482x425px) Image search: [Google]
dc.png
117KB, 482x425px
>>94914009
>>(((Diamond))) statistics
RIGHT?

We only quote those when DC reboots and squeaks out a lead for a month or two!
>>
>>94914053
That's because Marvel gaming Diamond's reporting system to distort their unit sales.
>>
File: Capture.png (117KB, 774x258px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
117KB, 774x258px
>>94912113
Because variants are where the money actually is.
>>
>>94914129
I am SHOOK as fuck. God DAYUM!
>>
>>94914087
Yeah, like that time Aquaman outsold Marvel's entire catalog six months after the Nu52 dropped.
>>
File: edp.jpg (71KB, 644x360px) Image search: [Google]
edp.jpg
71KB, 644x360px
>>94914129
>CGC
>Campbell
>Liefeld
>Deadpool
>Variant
>Avengers

This might be the most cancerous string of words ever assembled.
>>
>>94914118
>F-fake news!
Riiiiight. Until the next time DC pulls ahead and then you'll be dancing like a faggot while keeping a thread or two posted for an entire month while magically forgetting you don't trust numbers from Diamond.

Just like Rottentomatoes was worthless ... until Wonder Woman didn't suck and got good reviews ( but it will totally be Fake News again if/when Justice League crashes and burns ).
>>
>>94914129
then is the LCS fault that they gamble to buy 200 of comic they will not sell in favor of a variant that they may sell at 2600U$S.
>>
>>94914129
>mommy said I had to clean my plate first if I want dessert!
>SO UNFAIR!!
>>
File: addtext_com_MTE0NzA0MTY0NDQy.jpg (382KB, 1920x1082px) Image search: [Google]
addtext_com_MTE0NzA0MTY0NDQy.jpg
382KB, 1920x1082px
>>94913721
>I know how to run a retail comic business
>I do not own a retail comic business
>>
>>94914204
It's almost like /co/ is more than one person.

Faggot.
>>
Instead of flooding the market with shit books by shit writers Marvel should adopt a Hollywood-style approach i.e.print a first issue (a pilot) and if it generates enough buzz order a half season and more episodes if it works.
>>
File: trump hails hydra.jpg (82KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
trump hails hydra.jpg
82KB, 630x630px
>>94914185
>even when I legit win something
>I still need to undercut myself with an obvious lie
>>
File: pete.gif (30KB, 442x341px) Image search: [Google]
pete.gif
30KB, 442x341px
>>94914286
>Marvel should adopt a Hollywood-style approach
Have you ... been to the movies? Do you own a TV?

JUST!
>>
>>94911379
That was literally when it fucking started, and Marvel started going to shit. Guess you weren't around for out of nowhere, female Black Panther, female Ghost Rider, Lady Bullseye, Lady Sinister, and Wolverine in hell so X-23 could get spotlight.

Of course in addition to the Assguardia retarded shit, and a Sif solo if I recall.
>>
>>94914129
>variants are like 10:1 and $3 more than regular cover
>comic shop owner asks for $2,600
>Marvel: well, if it's so valuable to you, maybe I'll just do this..
>keep ordering hundreds and thousands anyway

Get fucked shop owners, either draw a line in the sand or fuck off and die.
>>
File: doctor jewmutter.jpg (14KB, 322x288px) Image search: [Google]
doctor jewmutter.jpg
14KB, 322x288px
>>94914335
>That was literally when it fucking started
I wonder why?
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/20/the-spinning-pennies-of-marvel%E2%80%99s-isaac-perlmutter/

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-layoffs-the-cheapskate-is-coming-from-inside-the-house-of-ideas/
>>
>>94914276
He has a point though.
>>
>>94910168
Its not what's driving away current fans, but it is what's driving away new fans.
>>
File: 1503701957619.png (1MB, 1480x881px) Image search: [Google]
1503701957619.png
1MB, 1480x881px
>>94914361
I think it's sad that the majority of Marvel readers, and I'm not just saying you, will actually believe that all the companies problems are spawning from one man.
>>
File: 1502037427164.jpg (89KB, 687x960px) Image search: [Google]
1502037427164.jpg
89KB, 687x960px
>>94914335
Lady Sinister is freakin' hot though.
>>
>>94910105
>Black panther movie announced, normies become interested in the character
>instead of releasing an easy to get into BP book Marvel releases 3 Black Panther books to confuse their potential costumers

Marvel deserves to be bankrupt again.too bad they now have Disney behind them.
>>
Why do neither DC or Marvel release accurate digital sales numbers?
>>
>>94914851
DC and Marvel don't release any sales numbers. Diamond does. If it was up to them they probably wouldn't publish any numbers at all.
>>
>>94910064
Bendis's treatment of Beast, civil war 2 and IvX were all red flags. the worst part is that marvel is sinking and moon knight and deadpool will be collateral damage as well.
>>
>>94915038
Not to mention killing the real Logan and the real Scott was a huge middle finger to X-fags who are one of the most rabid comic fanbases
>>
>>94914025
>>94914053
Not the numbers, the infographic itself. Just fucking look at it.
1)Goes back in time, June->to April->to to February
2)First row is has different colours than the other two
3)First row is Unit share over Dollar share, other two- other way around
4)different fonts
5)Legend is barely readable
>>
>>94912043
IQ is not a legitimate litmus test because IQ tests are designed for a european mindset and there are questions that have more than one answer.

when the test is asking for you to fill in the letters for classical musicians, that's not related to intelligence. that's related to knowledge of classical music.

another example: 7 letter word, starts with T, and means "to move from one place to another" you could answer both transient and transcend. there's two answers. the people who make the IQ test aren't smart enough to make the test

OH, and then there's the fact that IQ scores are affected by economic class. it's much more stressful to be lower class. higher economic class brings with it people who live in safer environments that can focus on their education (which they can actually afford) more.

your bell curve is a correlation of class divisions harming the proletariat, not an indicator of who's smart.
>>
>>94915059
i'm an x-fag and i didn't mind scott and logan dying. i kinda hate cyclops and i can see why cyclops fans didn't like the way he went out because i hated the way bendis killed dark beast. the thing with logan is that he was just brought back and they just pushed his kids with the same powers.

one of the things about characters who die is that they have to stay dead for it to have any literary meaning. with the exception of nightcrawler because he left heaven and it's a motif for him, deaths have to have weight and import or the story means nothing. that's why jesus's death has no meaning either if he can just be raised again. they did that with Logan.

Logan and cyclops were overrated as fuck in my opinion. even though i don't like them i acknowledge that marvel still handled them horribly
>>
>>94910611
Because there is a LOT of manga out there, and it takes up a lot of room. Our local store had something around 5 full size shelves stacked to the brim - and that was 6 years ago.
I've seen comic stores with manga, but they only pick the most popular series. Things like Onepunch Man and Attack on Titan.
>>
File: makelovenotwar.png (320KB, 605x461px) Image search: [Google]
makelovenotwar.png
320KB, 605x461px
>>94910064
honestly i think that disney wanted to get rid of x-men because they're perceived as subversive. they're an oppressed minority. x-men is one of the most dystopian and thought provoking comic series. that's not profitable for a corporate idiocracy.
>>
File: IMG_1363.jpg (20KB, 200x213px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1363.jpg
20KB, 200x213px
>>94915194
>i'm an x-fag and
>i kinda hate cyclops
>>
>>94910064
comics don't keep stores open alone.
you have to sell merch as well.

more importantly, you need to open to traditional games as well.
cater to the current popular games and start getting tournaments and other shit to get people in the door.

the store i go to only like 10 or so people actually venture into the comic section while everyone else is in the gaming sections
>>
>>94915255
It's funny that you think of the X-men that highly or that Disney would give a shit about that as long as it pulled in the big bucks
>>
>>94915255
Then why are they going out of their way to promote Inhumans as the same thing?

Hell, they bought Star Wars, which is primarily about a rebellion.
>>
>>94915128
>IQ is not a legitimate litmus test because IQ tests are designed for a european mindset and there are questions that have more than one answer.
I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your reply because this first sentence is completely incorrect. East Asians outperform Europeans on IQ tests, so please stop making up bullshit.
>>
>>94914445
Lady Sinister had a great design, and was handled incredibly well by the artists.
>>
>>94910064
Dropped by there today.
He is shutting down on Thursday.
Not many books left, but there are some great statues there if you're in the area.
>>
>>94915281
yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_tLWMm0Fo
>>
>>94910686
>implying the American comics market works in any way like anything else in the rest of the economic world
>>
>>94915354
>star wars is about a rebellion

not only that, but they're selling the idea that diocletian's problem reaction solution is something that only happens in the movies, and that freedom fighters always winning is realistic

>>94915342
>as long as it pulled in the big bucks
disney bought marvel in 2009. was x-men a lost cause in 2009 or did its descent really start to become apparent after that?
>>
>>94910064
Based Canada telling it how it is
>>
>>94915373
>making up bullshit

triggered, snowflake?
>>
>>94915499
Canadian here.
I actually talk with a few Liberal MP's, and most of them don't like the new equality laws (including the women and minority members,) but they are too scared to stand up to them, because the media might tear them apart.
>>
>>94914129
That's like justifying buying shitload trading cards because you might get a rare that will recoup your investment.
Fucking retarded and not something a business model should be built on.
>>
>>94915525
Because we live too close to the US and they're going batshit crazy with all of this shit. Canada as a country generally just wants no trabble so nobody speaks up.
>>
>marvel shills still posting those charts when LCS are saying time after time that their comics don't sell and everybody knows that they are pulling 1:+50 variant incentives so the numbers don't represent what their comics actually sell
Marvel is fucked lads, their market share is literal fake news. If DC pulls ahead at any months it means it's beating not only Marvel like they do now, but Marvel AND their cooked numbers
>>
>>94915604
You rebirthdrones are sick in the head. Marvel sells more and makes more money. Deal with it. It might be due to shitty tactics but if they can afford to do them and DC can't then that's saying a lot.
>>
>>94914261
I'm not stupid enough to get into a shitty business like this. Comics are a dying medium, especially print.
>>
>>94915423
Does he stock trades, or was it mostly floppies and statues? I've never been in that one, but I have been to LA Mood before looking for a board game.
>>
>>94915646
>It might be due to shitty tactics
Exactly, those charts mean shit, especially when digitally and trades Marvel is basically as good as dead
>>
>>94915721
>those charts mean shit
Don't be retarded. Exposing the stupidity of customers with variants and events and #1's and shit does not change the fact that they're dominating in both units and dollar.
>>
>>94915604
Don't buy 50 comics for just 1 variant then
>>
>>94915746
But I'm ok with events and relaunches, as long the readers actually buy them, as opposed to some shit you had to order that you will never sell to anyone so you can sell in ebay one single variant. That's 50 comics in your unit and dollar charts per comic actually sold, the rest of them are rotting in a box or being given away to charity. If the LCS can't sell the variant, they're fucked. If people aren't reading Marvel comics, Marvel lose man, the cooked statistics can't change that
>>
>>94915493
>disney bought marvel in 2009. was x-men a lost cause in 2009 or did its descent really start to become apparent after that?
The inhumans push is only three years old and was planned a year before that. So disscussions had to happen right around the second or third x-men movie.
>>
Can someone explain to me how exactly this is Marvel's fault? I mean don't get me wrong, Marvel is a piece of shit right now, but if Marvel comics aren't selling, why didn't this LCS, just, ya know, stop ordering Marvel comics?
>>
>>94913021
spotted the supesfag
>>
>>94915842
Events and relaunches are short term buys and they also cannibalize the market. Often people will buy the events and tie ins because they're important and will take low selling titles that they might even like off their pull list because of this. Also, as it's been said in the thread by others, someone might go into a store to pick up two specific comic books and then something else might catch his eye but with events they feel like they have to buy those issues so the smaller stuff doesn't sell. Furthermore, constant relaunches might get you a temporary boost but your readers will get tired with your tactics and go away, that's why numbers fell so hard for Marvel in their latest relaunch.
>>
>>94915858
It's the guys fault for not making the LCS a Magic The Gathering store with a few comics here and there like the rest of them did. Some people only buy Marvel comics and others only buy DC comics, LCS are in such a shit state that if they depend on comic sales, they depend on both groups coming to the store.
>>
File: why are you even here.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why are you even here.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>>94915703
>I'm not smart enough
FTFY
>>
>>94915918
Pretty much, a store can survive just by adding Magic. It's amazing how much that sells.
>>
>>94915898
Well yeah, I'm not ok but I gave up on Marvel making good comics long ago, now I just want them to not crash the industry again. Events and constant relaunches are a shitty way to make comics but not an industry crashing marketing trick like variant incentives
>>
>>94915718
There are trades, but they are getting picked over quickly.
Mainly they're popular trades that are left, Fables, Sandman, etc. More DC than Marvel left. About half of the Cerebus books are still there.

There is also an artist edition of Joe Kubert's Tarzan, which I almost bought, with the sale, it's about $40 CAN.

Mostly, it's floppies. There are lots and lots of floppies.
There are a few action figures left, but they're great prices if you want them. There were some cool planetary action figures, and most of the Babylon 5 toy line.
>>
>>94915936
Look at this LCS owner, look at him and laugh. What's your address, son? I'm gonna mail you some of my leftover food since you're poor.
>>
>>94910128
>Calling Thor Odinson

Just say "Im a stupid faggot" and be done with it
>>
>>94915959
>now I just want them to not crash the industry again
Same.
>>
>>94915918
The problem for him was that a 2 minute walk down the street, there is a Comic Shop (Worlds Away) that specializes in Magic Cards, and does most of the tournaments in London. So adding cards wouldn't have been a big seller for him.
Also, literally, the store next to him is a manga shop (Neo Tokyo), so he wasn't able to add manga, or manga statues either.
>>
>>94915974
Thanks for the update man, but I think I'll stick with the current Chapter/Indigo online sale for a few trades.
>>
>>94915858
Is not Marvel fault that LCS owner spend his money on Marvels comics that his clients do not want hoping to sell a variant cover for 2500$
>>
>>94916017
Cards would still have helped, Magic guys love to buy a fuck ton of everything so they can resell it. One stores runs out just go poach from the other one
>>
>>94910664
You people are stupid as fuck and shouldn't talk. Trade sales for a character that jut had a movie come out DO get high number for that month, dummy. problem is, you gotta hook customers in so they come in and buy a new issue every month, floppies re where the big money comes from. Reading a one volume long story won't hook anyone into more they'll just think "well, I read a comic. I've done that too now. Alright, what's new on netflix".
>>
>>94915988
It call Character development, Thor going to get back his hammer. Just wait for it.
>>
>>94916046
There's a weirdly large amount of stores in that city that sell the same stuff. The population is like 350,000, but it's a college city, and there are at least two different stores that do FNM (and they are all on the same street/block)
>>
>>94916017
>manga shop
Does that shop seem to be profitable? I've never heard of a shop that sells only manga, outside of Japan obviously.
>>
>>94916017
Have you never seen one of those plazas with card shops and play/trade area? Everybody benefits. If you sell Magic they will come.
>>
should started selling fidget spinners
>>
>>94916077
in latin america "LCS" are Manga shops with some comics.
>>
>>94916077
http://www.neotokyo.ca/
Looks like they have the entire market for the city locked down via old school rentals
>>
>>94915470
never implied such a ridiculous premise. My other posts are pretty fucking clear about that.
>>
>>94916108
>Thomas N. your RWBY Part 4 DVD & BluRay (Red, White, Black, Yellow) is in.
for what purpose? just watch it on YouTube negro.
>>
>>94916022
Ya, that's cool.
Also, Indigo has 50% off their clearance section this week.
I got the Simon and Kirby Studio for $6, I think there is a copy left in London.
>>
File: hail fromage.gif (33KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
hail fromage.gif
33KB, 267x200px
Oh those crazy LCS owners... at least they're not blaming piracy anymore. Now they're blaming Marvel, they're getting warmer. I wonder if they'll discover the cause before they are wiped out?
>>
>>94916202
This is a city that has two different comic-cons because there was some disagreement between organizers years ago. Not a lot of stuff makes sense here.
>>
>>94915201
Not to mention even kids have loads of options on buying manga from bookstores, library sales and online which is just mom/dad or a giftcard away.

I don't play Magic so my LCS is just a convenient place to pull stuff I'm looking forward to which is why I buy trades there too when I go in even though they sell for less than MSRP on Amazon.

If I could pull monthly issues online you bet your ass I would.
>>
>>94916076
Yup,
Worlds Away, L.A. Mood, and Heroes Cards and Comics, all specialize in Magic Cards.
There wasn't enough of a population to justify another magic specialty store in the area.
>>
>>94916077
It's alright for popularity.
It's prices are higher than all the other comics in the city. But if you want a anime, they'll have it, or get it for you.

>>94916106
Neo Tokyo sells only Japanese (and Korean) materials, translated for a Western audience. It's nieche, but London Ontario probably has the largest amount of nerds per capita in Canada (and possibly North America,) so the store can easily survive.

It's why the Comic Collector (the 3rd oldest comic store in Ontario) closing came as a shock. They just made the announcement last Monday.
>>
>>94915194
There's just so much wrong in this. Logan isn't back, unless you meant after Wolverine in hell.

Characters staying dead is not important fro comics. If they really NEED to kill off a character to tell a good story, like when Kurt or Colossus died, it works. After that, the story is told, they can bring him back in a bit so they can tell more stories. It's part of the fun with superhero comics.

>>94915493
Probably around the time they let bendis start making suggestions again. The comics were decent until 2010, 2011 or so.
>>
>>94916337
>London Ontario probably has the largest amount of nerds per capita in Canada (and possibly North America,)
You got a citation for that?
>>
>>94916337
>London Ontario probably has the largest amount of nerds per capita in Canada (and possibly North America,)
Get the fuck over yourself. Fuckin' Ontarians thinking they're the center of the universe. Vancouver easily holds the title of Canadian nerd capital. Easily.
>>
>>94915846
there were red flags way before inhumans
>>
>>94917534
>Logan isn't back

they shoehorned another Logan from a different timeline. it's shit.
>>
>>94917545
Nope, just observation based on my personal experiences.
>>94917558
Not saying their aren't more nerds in Vancouver, if you think you beat Toronto's numbers, take the title as Nerd Capital of Canada. Just that for it's small population, London has a shit-ton of nerds.
>>
>>94917668
>if you think you beat Toronto's numbers, take the title as Nerd Capital of Canada.
Toronto has nothing but raw numbers. We're the center of the Canadian science and technology industry. We're Hollywood and Silicon Valley rolled into one. The only reason Toronto wins out and gets more events/convention type things is the population situation. Don't forget the Asian component too. Richmond has so many little
Asian hobby and import shops, it's absurd.
>>
>>94916077
Düsseldorf propably has one or two, it has a huge market for japanese stuff in general due to lots of japanese living there and it being a centerstone of German-Japanese economical relationship. Also, for some reason manga sells well among 10 years old girls so bigger bookshops often stock manga, manhwa and German manga.
>>
>>94910611
Weebs dont buy manga
>>
>>94917668
There must be so many of us because there is fuck all to do outside of the summer festivals in this city
>>
>>94916064
in about 10 years maybe.
>>
File: 4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg (19KB, 367x332px) Image search: [Google]
4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg
19KB, 367x332px
>>94910511
Well?

tell us Dr. Genius
>>
File: advpete.jpg (35KB, 331x450px) Image search: [Google]
advpete.jpg
35KB, 331x450px
>>94911957
You're right anon!

Every single person on Earth that is not you is too fucking retarded to understand that two people can have the same name! No one will ever try this shit in media because we all know everyone across the globe that is not YOU specifically, is just too goddamn stupid and will throw their hands in the air and panic because no one in the history of anything ever had the same name as someone else.
>>
>>94911983
Nah, comic readers are just too fucking racist to take a

Black Iron Person
Strong female Thor who aint gonna be called no damn wench by any man
Asian Hulk
Black Captain America

and I'm sure they are not fond of the negative portrayal of Nazis going on right now
>>
>>94912221
and they must be purged
>>
Why not sell Ultimate Spider-Man the first series, JMS' Thor and so on?

Does he have only the newest single issues?
>>
>>94913454
Not a comic store but I helped run a gaming store for a few years and it's basically that. No one locally (or at all, really) played the Lord of the Rings miniature game, but if you wanted to order Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 models that would actually sell, you'd either buy LotR stuff too or not at all.
>>
>>94910143
I think the main problem here is that the comics look or act nothing like the movie universe.

Compare what marvel does to the rick and morty comic. As a normal fag I can go pick up the RM comic, not have to go through a huge back log, and get a good chuckle with what I'm familer with from the show. Even though the stories are never referenced in the show, they're easy enough to write off into misadventures.

Marvel on the other hand ran for diversity and synergy bucks. Two ideas that are directly opposed to each other. Even the character you mentioned, spider-man is nothing like his movie self. Result is normies get turned off and hardcore fans continue to eat the shit.

Better solution would have been for marvel to just split the two ideas apart and make an ultimate universe 2 for MCU synergy and plot mining. Diversity could stay in the main books until Marvel realizes tumbler doesn't buy comics and their actual readers are jumping ship.
>>
>>94911442
>on /co/
>thinks he isn't /co/
Get a fucking grip, toolshed.
>>
>>94910138
No matter what Marvel and DC will both always be around 30% of the market each. Losing a significant chunk of one of those blocks of 30% is a huge fucking loss.

Plus the problem seems to be mainly that the Marvel Zombies have lost interest. They aren't the sort of people that want to jump ship to DC.
>>
File: Pikachu Nova Corps.png (3MB, 974x1239px) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Nova Corps.png
3MB, 974x1239px
Has there been anything worth reading from Marvel since Secret War? The event itself was kind of fun, but the aftermath was a complete shitshow.
>>
File: 1503621410279.jpg (23KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1503621410279.jpg
23KB, 429x410px
>>94915983
>being this insecure
>>
File: 1492667832235.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
1492667832235.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>94915128
I thought IQ tests specifically avoid knowledge based questions like that and rely more on problem solving and pattern awareness. Like they'll show you a series of shapes four times over with minor variations and ask for the pattern.

I've never seen one that asked me to list classical musicians.
>>
>>94911442
Whoever made this is a fucking dummy
>>
>>94910511
The things he's blaming Marvel for in this case don't reflect what other retailers are citing as the problems and are mostly the same complaints companies had with Marvel in the 90's.

If he somehow hasn't been able to make his business work in the model that has been the standard for over 20 years now, he has no one to blame but himself. I'm not saying that forgives Marvel's practices, but flooding the shelves with trash, pushing characters over creators, oversaturating their successful characters, pushing variants and #1's and "collector" items and headline-grabbing gimmicks and events over catering to longtime fans, none of this is some brand new thing that Marvel just started doing, it's not even something they started in the last ten years.

In the mid-90's they pandered to speculators, in the late 90's they put their own creators out to pasture in order to farm their comics out to Image's studios to pander to "extreme" kids, in the early 00's they pandered to horny teenage boys with titillating covers, in the mid-00's they pandered to edgy event whores, in the 10's they pandered to moviefags with relaunches and movie synergy, and now they're pandering to women and social media, and now they're about to pander to people who've been drawn by the success of Rebirth.

Guess what, Marvel is a shitty, pandering company run by greedy businessmen who don't care about fans or quality, only mindlessly following trends. Nothing has changed and nothing will change. The people mad about SJW shit are moviefags under the false impression that they're "true fans" and mad that they're not the hot new market to pander to.

Get it through your thick skulls that Marvel is a trash company that sold their souls to Toy Biz decades ago and has never come back from that. Marvel singlehandedly caused thousands of stores to close in the mid-90's and has been continuing on that path ever since with the philosophy that you either buy into their latest scheme or get fucked.
>>
File: comics and cartoons.jpg (498KB, 1375x857px) Image search: [Google]
comics and cartoons.jpg
498KB, 1375x857px
>>94920103
/co/ making fun of itself is great.
>>
>>94913726
why would DCucks lie to me ?
>>
>>94910128

This isn't a good comparison. DC shits out 40 Batfamily titles because the average Wednesday warrior loves Batwank. Marvel shits out 4 Black Panther and 5 Doctor Strange books because they have no idea what the fuck they're doing
>>
File: overshipping.jpg (171KB, 1715x567px) Image search: [Google]
overshipping.jpg
171KB, 1715x567px
>>94910318
>implying Marvel won't just send you whatever dollar bin shit books you never asked for and make you pay for them
>>
>>94921260
They only exist in your mind and those numbers are cooked, LCS are closing up because of how shit marvel is doing
>>
File: 1503280483448.jpg (920KB, 1858x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1503280483448.jpg
920KB, 1858x2048px
>>94910704
Maybe because Manga is currently the one pulling all the work and saving LCS as much as possible.

I mean here in Flipland, LCS now carry manga as much as 50% of its store because its the one that pretty much what sells when there is a lull period from cape movies.

I mean, stick it up against manga is fine, but if the LCS can survive by selling at least 1000 books of the latest Attack on Titan volume coming out in the day is better than slowly dying waiting for the occasional comic buyer that will probably buy one or two issues of the latest comic or sometimes buy the super discounted longbox
>>
>>94914276
Actually it's two the marvelfag and the dcfag.
>>
>>94912234
>comic books arent selling, better blame white people
>>
>>94920587
Fuck no. ANAD was a mess, Civil War II was a shitshow, and Secret Empire is just barely mediocre.
>>
>>94912449

Loyalty demands loyalty. People love to bitch about "true fans" and gatekeeping but at the end of the day there were true fans who would drop fifty dollars a week and they kept half the business afloat, but then they got screwed so they took their money and left.
>>
>>94911957
Zdarsky's Spider-Man says hi, though good fucking trying to do that with other characters.
>>
>>94913492
But it is. Canadian fatman blamed the diversity characters replacing the originals too.
>>
>>94910064
Go to Heroes in London anyway, they have a shit ton of Transformers and other neat stuff as well.
>>
>>94910064
>self-reflective

it's "self-reflexive"
>>
>>94910128
leave the fanyboyism for company wars threads, you fucking faggot
>>
>>94916077
I have a store in my city that sells only manga/anime/some related merch like figures and keychains. There are two chains with multiple stores that sell cards/tabletop games/anime box sets/anime merch, the local brick and mortar CD/DVD stores all have dedicated anime sections, and the brick and mortar bookstore chains all used to sell manga until they mostly went under. There are also two small stores that only sell anime figures and models.

The only two places you can buy comics here are one LCS (that's half manga) and a record store that also sells funko pops and manga.

In this city, weebs are king.
>>
>>94910064

>Canadian LCS owner blames current Marlel for store's closure

It begins
>>
>>94910611
the weeb market barely exists anymore
>>
>>94910523
Is this how America Chavez comic is still alive?
Man, fuck this system, it prolongs the life of shit comics.
>>
>>94923914
Out of all the bullshit statements ITT, congratulations, yours is the most retarded.
>>
>>94910266

Batman seems to be the only hero who can sell big just because people want to read about him. You can't blame DC for giving him so many books
>>
>>94912113
>Buy 10 copies of America and that´s it, fuck the variants.

Are you a fucking spastic? They don't want 10 issues of America. They want the Variant for Deadpool but they have to buy 10 issues of that shit just to get it.
>>
>>94921329
GOT SOURCE ON THAT IMG?
>>
>>94920721
>Marvel singlehandedly caused thousands of stores to close in the mid-90's

To be fair, most of those stores were opened & operated by any moron who had more than two longboxes under bed the week after Superman 'died'. The speculation you correctly cited created a bubble that stores coasted on for a few years during the Wizard/Image/Pogs heyday and it kept the morons in business until that generation of customer grew out of it.

Most, not all the LCS that were already entrenched BEFORE the 90's crap survived (barely) but the other stores died off as quickly as they arrived.

The Marvel-Heros World self-distribution thing didn't help either...
>>
>>94924237
>They want the Variant for Deadpool

Are THEY fucking spastic though?
>>
>>94910772
this has nothing to do with economics, dumbass

this is a problem with the legal system and specifically with how fucked up contract law is
>>
>>94911669
>While all of this is happening, DC is jacking off in the corner waiting for sweet death

Yeah fuck off man what else can DC do at this point? Their books are cheaper than everybody elses, they have more variety with their main line, HB, Young Animal and upcoming Dark Matter They don't have anything up to four events running at the same time. They don't force comics on LCS, the variants are free to order and they at least try to listen to fan concerns.

Maybe they're just to nice and should try some of Marvels scum tactics. They should get retailers to rip off the covers to Marvels free shipped books to get a Batman variant. At least that way LCS will get some use out of them
>>
>>94912069

I read from most publishers. I actually don't read Marvel though. The last book of theirs I read was Vision. I just don't care about their universe at all
>>
>>94911418
>>94911475
>>94911492
someone post the image comparing posts on 4chan boards to the wording of tumblr posts
>>
>>94911384
Look through the Catalog and count threads. At any given time /co/ is approximately 60% cartoon threads, 10% off topic threads, 10% adaptation threads, 10% webcomic threads, and only 10% comic BOOK threads.

This isn't really a comics board and it hasn't been in YEARS.
>>
>>94918339
True,
I check out facebook, and kijiji ads for geeky things, it's great to network with people that way!
Also, the centeral library has displays set up a few times a year about comics, and other things.
>>
>>94923368
Heroes won for being the best comic shop in Canada twice. It's also now the biggest comic shop in Canada.
>>
>>94920587
Yes:
The Vision
Infamous Iron Man
Gwenpool
Uncanny Avengers
The Ultimates (and Ultimates 2)
Daredevil
Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
>>
>>94915128
>7 letter word, starts with T, and means "to move from one place to another" you could answer both transient and transcend.
Transient is an adjective. "To x" is clearly only applicable to verbs. "Transient" is incorrect.
>>
>>94925937
Thanos
Cable
Old Man Logan (when Sorrentino isnt doing the art)
>>
>>94926174
well transient was the answer and i got it "wrong" because i put transcend
>>
File: fuck off.gif (2MB, 418x272px) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.gif
2MB, 418x272px
>>94925860
>Canada

whatever. they are not USA. they can all rot in hell for all i care..
>>
>>94910064
>Give me one good Deadpool Book
Deadpool/Spider-Man is pretty good from what I heard but I think Kelly is off the book now
>>
>>94913726
you realize Diamond estiamtes dollar share USING the unit share as their base right? They dont know or care that Marvel sends copies for free because THEY still get paid the same.
>>
>>94926316
>>94926174
>>94915128
You're not good at making IQ tests either. Neither of those words are 7 letters long.
>>
>>94911311
Why would we blame DC for something that is Marvel's fault?
>>
Conservative valued Comicshop sales are tanking, yes.
But they would have tanked anyways since it's the old and aging, dwindling dead end, demographic.

Meanwhile the progressive valued online sales are through the roof.
They are the growing future with fresh blood and youthful fan vigor.
>>
>>94929701
TL;DR - It's nature doing its thing.
>>
>>94912521
Most people start reading comics because of Marvel.

And most people STOP reading comics because of Marvel.
>>
>>94911311
>Shouldn't we blame DC for not preventing Marlel from becoming a clusterfuck corpse of a company?
No, not really
>>
>>94924290
That was from SA's comics forum
>>
>>94910513
I can see it work with specialized stores with selling manga and manga accessories (anime, dolls, pillows, etc.) but if you want just a simple comic book store there's no way around it. Mahvel sell the most so if you don't sell mahvel no amount of japanese girls doing cute girls books will offset that.
>>
>>94914335
The "fuck the classic heroes let's replace them " thing was started by Bendis in Disassembled back in 2004.
>>
>>94913526
You could have Foolkiller in a second strip in a Deadpool title.
>>
>>94922702
>the nuMarlel and the DChad
Fixed.
>>
>>94913257
Not that guy, but it isn't the 60s anymore. Marvel has been the "silly/campy" company for YEARS now.
>>
>>94913492
stop being an apologist
>>
>>94913492
you're putting the cart in front of the horse

hiring sjws is what CAUSES bad writing
>>
>>94913726
"dollar share" is actually DIAMOND'S "dollar share", NOT Marvel's
>>
>>94931151

Well, no. Hiring bad writers causes bad writing. Hiring people for qualities other than their writing skills is liable to get you bad writers, but ultimately bad writing isn't the problem. Bad writing is in no way a hindrance to mass market success.

The problem here is unappealing writing. It's not that they're technically flawed; it's that you personally don't care about the subject matter.
>>
>>94914129
do you not remember the 90s speculator market crash?

this has already been proven to not be a viable business model
>>
>>94914335
>>94930112
sana amanat's hiring is where everything started

she's the one that started hiring literal amateur bloggers and literal webcomic artists
>>
>>94915128
>transient

doesn't fit
>>
>>94915128
>IQ scores are affected by economic class. it's much more stressful to be lower class. higher economic class brings with it people who live in safer environments that can focus on their education (which they can actually afford) more

asians prove otherwise
>>
>>94915128
those aren't on IQ tests
>>
>>94915128
IQ tests are consistent by race in ALL societies

blacks perform better on IQ tests in white majority countries than they do elsewhere

the truth is that IQ tests demonstrate a difference in how different races' brains process spacial math
>>
>>94931272

Where are you getting that from?
>>
>>94915255
this is the dumbest most gullible post in the entire thread
>>
>>94915470
it follows the same laws, and (unfortunately) laws are the basis of economics
>>
>>94931280
His ass.
>>
>>94910064

Calling a shop Comic Book Collector already defines a very narrow customer base. Marvel and DC are not the only comic book companies, although they are the biggest. Continuity fags and collectors are not the majority in the comic book fan community anymore, I would presume.

I don't know his exact circumstances, but a wider focus on indie titles like from Image (plenty of quality genre stuff there) and indie indie titles from Fantagraphics and others could do wonders. That would maybe draw in a wider crowd.

Citing the publishing policy of a nerd company as the reason for bankrupcy while there is much, much more to comics than superheroes is just weak and sad.
>>
File: no photoshop.jpg (88KB, 924x609px) Image search: [Google]
no photoshop.jpg
88KB, 924x609px
>>94930249
>Trumptard

BWAHAHAHAHA.. FUCKWITL! IT WAS LITERALLY INVENTED BY COLBERT REFUSING TO REPORT ABOUT SHIT GOING ON OUTSIDE OF USA..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jP5AAA1XgQ
>>
>>94915525
>the new equality laws

details on this?
>>
>>94915646
Marvel isn't profitable. Disney subsidizes them.

DC doesn't do that shit because they know it'll kill the industry, and they don't want that. Marvel doesn't care if everyone goes out of business.
>>
>>94920721
>retard who thinks he's a business genius

this is like reading a Nintendo thread on /v/
>>
>>94924109
fucking NOBODY watches anime anymore, dude
>>
>>94929701
this is the falsest thing in the entire thread
>>
>LCSs shutting down by the hundreds due to Marvel not making money not out of the people but out of the actual LCSs aka scamming them
>we know the tricks they pull, LCSs are all up in arms about them
>every non Diamond statistic we know about this market (digital, trades) says the same thing: DC is ahead and Marvel is in the absolute shitter
>still those bullshit charts get posted every thread
Why are marvel shills so pathetic? Marvel should stick to movies because they suck at everything else
>>
File: DIGFVPbXoAAukmc.jpg (73KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
DIGFVPbXoAAukmc.jpg
73KB, 600x457px
>>94931391

everybody watches them. the shit is that japanese goverment closed the free entrance to it and most studios are now lost because japense industry is stopping to finance own japanese culture slowly replacing it with american multiculty one.
>>
>>94911790
They could, actually, under fair use (unprofitable) or with "notbatman" (which is why both DC and Marvel have so many clone characters of each other with different names and slightly different looks).
>>
>>94931296
Except most of the people going to buy comics are getting DC and Marvel books. If either one fucks you over, it's gonna hurt. Sure you get some overlap sales in the indie scene, but you need those capebucks
>>
>>94931301
well, mostly not laws, but policies.
-The Prime Minister made half his cabinet ministers women.
-He made sure the 80%+ of our foreign aid went to educating women, and protecting women.
-Most government agencies give priority hiring to minorities. (You see this in a lot of online applications, asking if you consider yourself a minority, which includes considering yourself a women, who make up over half of Canada's population. Filling out these are optional, but if you don't, you probably won't get asked to an interview,)
-There is an anti-Islamic hate law, but it's terms are so broad that is means if you criticize Islam, you could be charge with a hate crime.

Again, Trudeau is a good guy, and for the most part, he seems to have good intentions, which is why he's not getting a lot of hate, but a lot of us are seeing that steps for a disaster lining up here.

There were a few female MP's who refused the cabinet positions because they felt they weren't qualified. but there were some who saw it as a way to further their career at the cost of giving Canadians less-than-qualified representatives.
>>
>>94926258
Nick Fury has gorgeous art, and it worth picking up for that alone.
>>
File: 1503230145648.jpg (32KB, 288x325px) Image search: [Google]
1503230145648.jpg
32KB, 288x325px
>>94910128
>and so is "Odinson"

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>94932132
>and for the most part, he seems to have good intentions
For the most part he seems like he's pandering as hell and his real talent is being actually able to market himself (and not being Harper). Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't several of the minority cabinet been shuffled out and his government been using Conservative budgets?
>>
>>94915423
I'll probably drop by early next week, and make a stop at Neo-Tokyo while I'm at it.
>>
>>94921265
I'm fine with batwank mainly because 7 batman books selling well allows dc to make books like midnighter and apollo, flintstones and new super-man which don't sell nearly as well
>>
>>94932419
This anon is right.
>>
>>94910845
Games Workshop also do this stuff, this is not new and they are not the only ones... it's not an /x thing, it's more real and sadly common than you think
>>
>>94915988
>>94932214
It's Funny because Marvel took the name Thor and turned it into a title, and the title of Odinson, and turned it into a name, completely ignoring Nordic naming convention where they got the Odinson from in the first place.
>>
File: 1499118780048.jpg (132KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499118780048.jpg
132KB, 1080x1080px
>>94910831
>There are three LCS in my town, and I can attest one of the store owners does that. He complains aloud about the stories that he's selling to his customers. Why the fuck would you do that? It may endear him to his regulars of course, but it's a retarded practice that will take him out of business sooner or later.

This JUST happened with my LCS and i'm pissed. Great salesman and extrovert sold it to two guys, one of which is sarcastic, negative Comic Book Guy archetype who rather than selling books retorts with 'ugh, it's awful,' 'hated it! 'it's shit' about every book. Quite obviously they only lasted a couple years. It's bad for customers and the industry. It's a tough business but enthusiasm and social grace goes a long way.
>>
>>94910105
>mfw trying to read green lantern during new 52
>Green Lantern
>Green Lantern Corps
>Green Lantern New Guardians
>Red Lanterns

I'm sure I missed one or two but it also had a lot of plot in other issues like Blue Beetle and Supergirl
>>
>>94910064
>“Marvel Comics has been doing a bunch of crap for the last five years,”
last five years
wears a batman shirt
bitch pls
>>
>>94911167
>I want cake
>no cake, just cookies
>GEEEEEEEEeeee anon why you dont buy cookies?????
>>
>>94912012
Most people are going to pick up the one that's just normal "Spider-Man", be like "what?", and put it the fuck down.

Only niche consumers are willing to put effort into subtitle clusterfuck in video games and movies, do you seriously think casuals giving comics a chance are going to put in more effort?
>>
>>94910064
>comic book stores are pretty much DC and Marvel stores
>2017
How can an entire medium be in such a shitty state in the west?
>>
>>94932569
Decades of monopolization via regulation
A gigantic crash
An entire country subtly encouraged not to read
A medium mostly regulated to specialty stores in a post-internet world.
>>
>>94911768
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the Cartoon side of /co/ ain't even on this thread. Odds are they're in their cartoon threads doing their thing.

Yes, the Comic side of /co/ always was this retarded.
>>
>>94915988
>>94932214
Do you faggots not understand the use of quoptation marks or something?
>>
>>94924861
DC should stop publishing floppies and convert to full story tpb's only. We all know it's inevitable this happens, I just want it faster.
>>
>>94932493
What always bothers me about those types is that they're always bashing storylines but rarely do they actually push customers towards better stories.
>>
>>94916164
You clearly stated anon would understand the comics market if he had made past econ 101, implying pretty clearly that you think it works in a sensical manner.

>>94931291
Gee, I wonder how come there's a monopoly then.
>>
>>94932602
It's bizarre, like a bookstore closing because Dean Koontz hasn't written anything good in a few years.
>>
>>94932569
You mean in the US, the Eurocomics market is fine, if not good.
>>
>>94933074
North America, I guess. This was a Canadian store.
>>
File: 27-8-2017 17.8.59 1.jpg (13KB, 246x179px) Image search: [Google]
27-8-2017 17.8.59 1.jpg
13KB, 246x179px
>>94911983
>blaming customers

do you know how to business?
>>
>>94932132
>Most government agencies give priority hiring to minorities.
This was always the case, even during the Harper era. Stop spreading propaganda.
>>94932348
>his government been using Conservative budgets
This is nonsense from the NDP, for whom anything less than a socialist budget is "conservative".
>>
>>94915128
Have you ever done an IQ test? It's all pattern recognition shit with shapes that can be understood in any language.
>>
>>94933666
Marvel blames the customers all the time.
>>
>>94933045
And then you realize this is probably actually the real reason and then you slap yourself.

(Borders has no physical stores anymore, only Barns and Nobles are at airports and college campuses, Amazon is just now starting physical stores, but you buy everything online)
>>
>>94931504
There's a deeper reason than this.

A. Japan doesn't want to be known for the otaku culture when the 2020 Olympics brings the spotlight down.
B. Japan needs otaku to start actually working and contributing to society because of their age disparities. NEET are currently supported by their parents... when those parents retire you are going to have three groups of people that need social support services (NEETs, retirees, elderly).

As a result, lifestyle and sports are being pushed by the government to supplant otaku culture. In the last decade traveling to Akihabara, I've witnessed the boundaries of otakuness shrink by 2 blocks each year. By 2020 it will be more of a business district than an entertainment one.
>>
>>94933923
aaaand that's why their comic sales are going so well...
>>
>>94934008
Where do you live? There's B&Ns all over the place, dude.
>>
>>94910562
>you bet your monies on a dying medium

38 Years ago, it wasn't.
38 years ago, in 1979, the comic book collectors market was a brand new thing, and DC and Marvel were just starting to to focus on it by doing higher end direct market books on Baxter paper, graphic novels, and creator owned books through sublines like Epic.

His store has been around longer than you, has survived at least to market collapses, and is finally giving in now because Marvel decided that screwing retailers with unsellable, unordered merchandise is a good idea.
>>
>>94934008
What's the real reason?
>>
>>94934463
>His store
It wasn't his store then
>>
>>94911916
Maybe retailers should get off their fat asses and do some actual customer service instead of sitting behind their counter reading Previews and ignoring anyone they don't recognize.
>>
>>94934090
the olympics video had Captain Tsubasa all over them though
>>
>>94910064
>“Give me one good Deadpool book,” Morris said.

It exists, and is selling well.
>>
>>94935483
>"objectification"
>>
>>94927754
you're right. they were 9 letters long
>>
>>94931282
http://www.businessinsider.com/its-astonishing-how-far-disney-is-going-to-bury-the-x-men-2015-4
>>
>>94916337
>London Ontario probably has the largest amount of nerds per capita in Canada

Is this because K-W just has them more spread out because of sprawl? Because with Waterloo and Laurier a literal block apart they've got a lot of nerds.
>>
>>94917558
You do know what "per capita" means, right?

The urban density of Vancouver, and it's large "people who are irredeemable drug addicts" population really hurt that per capita nerd population.
>>
>>94911734
>Friday Night Magic

Honestly when my LCS started hosting FNM I started spending more and it saved me a commute. I even bought more comics I wouldn't have noticed than my usual pulls.

It warms my cold heart to see some /co/mrades are into MTG.
>>
>>94932493
I have seen a few more smugly deride customers for buying something they do not personally approve of. Not up front but more along the lines of a

>Wow you are really going to buy that??
>Are you sure you want that?

With the smug asshole smile of judgment
>>
>>94930112
That was the early 00s shitty trend, including gtting rid of superhero costumes and secret identities. It's a different brand of shit.

>>94931221
That was probably part of the 2011 problem, probably along with the early diversity push, the editors getting fired and Ike having a fit over movie rights.
>>
File: 1503625385323.jpg (83KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1503625385323.jpg
83KB, 1334x750px
>entitled comic book readers thinking they OWN the comic book characters
>>
>>94936523
heh
>>
>>94936523
>retarded Marvel shill thinking his """"opinions"""" are welcome here
>>
File: 1494376815319.jpg (13KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1494376815319.jpg
13KB, 370x370px
>>94936523
when will Marlets learn?
>>
>>94936523
they have the power, after all they pay for the product
>>
>>94936523
They send money each month to keep it alive. If that is not owning then you don't know what the fuck that even means
>>
>>94936897
I'm gonna steal this one, thank you.
>>
>>94935697
meh, they did it first, so it evens out
>>
>>94937307
this makes it even worse, not better, paying for something like that is paying for propaganda...
>>
>>94937629
meh
>>
>>94910704
You faggots that pride yourself on a hate boner for manga are the lowest of the low, there certainly isn't any fucking high ground in american comics and the only truly great mainstream comics of any length have all been manga.
>>
>>94910704
>doesn't visit store in a year
>feels in any way entitled to have an opinion about how the store should keep the lights on and staff paid
>>
>>94910064
Sould have sticked to indies, fatso.
>>
>>94923914
Weebmarket is many times bigger than capecomics.
>>
>>94939475
Not in the US it's not.
>>
>>94910128
>having loyalty to publishers
>assuming upstanding members of society do too
Thread posts: 504
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.