[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

and the moral of the story, is defacing statues is wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 514
Thread images: 53

and the moral of the story, is defacing statues is wrong.
>>
>>94907247
If this was a modern episode theyd cheer because Jebediah was a slave owner
>>
>>94907247
The irony was that Bart seriously crossed the line and put the whole town against him, yet back in the early 90s this was seen as one of his most destructive, anti-authority outings.
>>
>>94907362
Instead of the treasonous fraud he actually was?
>>
PEOPLE OF /co/! I, um- I don't know quite how to say this- I did a lot of research on Jebediah Springfield, and- - Hmm.
>>
>>94907533

>Jebidiah was a pirate
>Literally killed people & probably owned a ship full of slaves to man his pirate ship
>But we have to keep the statue up because the lie is more important

Hmm, really makes you think
>>
>>94908715
the symbol that the staute represented meant more than the person that it was representing
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
pulling down statutes leads to destroying art work and burning books
>>
wait there hasn't been a sneed post in this thread has there, thank god
>>
>>94908742

What absolute horseshit. One of the first things people do when they win a war is destroy the remaining iconography of the loser. This is how every human society works, look at all the statues pulled down in the wake of any social revolution.

But the Confederate shit has to be treated with kid gloves and we have pretend there' some worthwhile reason to keep them around.
>>
>>94908715
>Jebidiah was a pirate
>Literally killed people & probably owned a ship full of slaves to man his pirate ship
Pirates were the most liberal people of their time.
They freed slaves and had a really diverse crew.
>>
>>94908791
They were built long after the war was over.
Nobody complained until now.
It's different because this is just a bunch of losers trying to find a place to fit in.
Kind of like 4chan, but for people who go outside.
>>
>>94908847

>They were built long after the war was over.

Because we still had to pretend that Confederate history has some sort of positive social value and the Lost Causers had to be pandered to.

Look, if people want to hang the Stars and Bars off their front porch, knock yourself out. But those statues are tantamount to some level of acceptance in the idea that Confederate ideas and concepts have a worthwhile value.
>>
>>94908878
Oh I'm not defending the statues, just pointing out that the protesters are just bandwagoning nerds.
>>
File: 1502725000033.png (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1502725000033.png
5KB, 250x250px
>>94908715
>man owned slaves just like every other person in the 1600s
>let's ignore his accomplishments because he engaged in a social conformity that is no longer compatibile in our progressive current year
>>
>>94908892
What annoys me most is they have no idea what states to wreck. Fucking schools.
>>
>>94908966
>Hans Sprungfeld
>accomplishments
>>
>>94907247
Do what some places are doing and just put up statues of civil rights people and other black figures to balance it.

In Mexico City a plaque commemorates both Cortez and Montezuma, reading something like "the conquest was neither a victory or a defeat but the painful birth of the Mexican nation",
>>
>>94907247
look up every group that ever destroyed statues in history anon
>>
>>94908818
Now that I think about it, Jebediah being a pirate makes him more worth of a homage in my eyes than being a boring chastity seeking colonialist.
>>
File: rm.jpg (37KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
rm.jpg
37KB, 1024x576px
>>94908742
in all serioussness can all the violence stop? i dont like nazis nor communists
>>
>>94909062
Yeah, but then people start beheading other people instead of beheading statues.
>>
>>94908791
Not entirely true. I mean here in the UK we have a statue of Oliver Cromwell outside parliament, a man who fought a civil war to stop the king becoming a tyrant, but was also responsible for beheading the king, committing virtual genocide in Ireland, becoming a dictator himself and installing radical puritanism and who people hated so much by the time we restored the monarchy they dug up and mutilated his corpse.

I feel like people will, and should be allowed, to celebrate who they want to celebrate for different reasons. I mean sure some people celebrate General Lee because they hate niggers, but some celebrate him because he was a beloved leader to his men and because he fought for his people. It's dumb as fuck to try and tell people who they can and can't admire because they're going tondo it anyway even if there isn't a statue, and if you tell them they can't have one they'll probably develop a persecution complex and more people will be drawn to their ideas because it seems like the government is surpressing them,
>>
File: Samuel_Vimes.jpg (16KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Samuel_Vimes.jpg
16KB, 300x360px
>>94908742
>>94908791
1.) Nobody knows if he was a slaver.
2.) That episode was written before the Hans Sprungfeld episode (one of my faves).

3.) The difference is that people KNEW General Lee and Co. were fighting for their right to own black people as slaves. Nobody KNEW about Hans Sprungfeld.

So it's not like there was a lie that needed to be kept to begin with about his misdeeds.

Fair point about artistic integrity etc, but the comparison isn't applicable because of the above.
>>
>>94908791
actual nazi stuff is kept in museums and preserved so people in the future can see it
destroying statues, burning books, errasing people its all barbarous
how can these people claim to stand for culture and identity and then do this? how come mayors support violent groups who destroy sttues instead of using their mayors powers to hire some workers for it?
>>
>>94908892
>>94909004
Well, do you want them to do something worthwhile with their time or not? Even if a lot of them are self-righteous boobs, it's better that they care, like you and most people, than they don't.

Plus if they don't occupy themselves with this they'll start building death rays and shit.

That's how scientists go mad at all, boredom.
>>
>>94908878
all history has a positive value in that all history deserves to be remembered
>>
>>94909123
Well, fine. Take the statue down and put it in a museum.

Also, vandalism is violence of a sort, but don't forget they resort to this and act a bit fascist because they don't want actual fascists trying to run them over.

Still wrong, but it's worth noting why they do it, purely for the sake of understanding how people work.
>>
>>94909123
>Taliban and ISIS destroy statues and artifacts and all history and culture they find offensive
>American "progressives" want to do the exact same thing
>>
>>94909130
You really think these hippies are smart enough to build death rays?
>>
>>94909162
They do it because they think they have a mandate, because they think they're righteous.
>>
>>94909123

>actual nazi stuff is kept in museums and preserved so people in the future can see it

These statues aren't in museums. They're on prominent government property.

>destroying statues, burning books, errasing people its all barbarous

These people are still being talked about in history books, being taught about in school classes.

But statues on government property are crossing the line. Same as when people were complaining about the Confederate flags on government buildings.
>>
>>94909162
>take something from one public place
>put it in another public place
>now it's acceptable
What's the fucking difference? However people feel about the person depicted isn't going to change, you're basically just saying you don't like having to see them.
>>
>>94909103
Listen guys, its not even a secret when and why the statues went up. They went up years after the civil war, in jim crow era, specifically to intimidate blacks. Now if you want to searh for angles of defense on that thats your call, but its not a great looking argument.
>>
>>94909123
>>94909123
>City votes for the statue to be moved to a civil war museum. State makes it illegal. Get surprised when private citizens take matters into their own hands.
>Also caring about a mass produced statue. Built after 1900s.
>>
>>94908847
Nobody complained until now because you didn't lose the whites paying reparations to everyone war until now.
>>
>>94909193
Aren't the same people who complained about the flags now complaining about the statues? Isn't that one of the things people were worried about when they started taking the flags down?
>>
>>94909130
How the fuck is a nazi march where someone died to a terrorist on US soil constructive? At thr bare minimum we could have atleast had a death ray. You really fucked up this time beaver.
>>
>>94909130
>Well, do you want them to do something worthwhile with their time or not?

They do nothing worthwhile

>Plus if they don't occupy themselves with this they'll start building death rays and shit.

I very much doubt a bunch of women's studies majors, drug addicts, and communist bloggers could build a bird house, let alone death rays.
>>
>>94909210
I think the statues look nice
>>
>>94909237

And they were right both times.

They want to move all that to a museum, fine. Some lunatic wants to buy them and stick them on his lawn, knock yourself out.

But not on government land. These things have no worthwhile social value at all.
>>
>>94909134
I totally agree. But then how come there's so much bitching every Feburary?
>>
>>94909248

probably one of the best arguments for keeping the statues around there is
>>
File: 2ISXbXO.jpg (74KB, 590x467px) Image search: [Google]
2ISXbXO.jpg
74KB, 590x467px
>another /pol/ thread

GEE I WONDER WHY PHONEPOSTERS EXIST
>>
>>94909162
>th-they only act a b-bit fascist

Oh god you are trying so hard to defend your fellow liberal shit heads it's hilarious. Pro tip: you can't claim to fight against certain people while behaving just like them.
They want violence? I hope they find it. I hope they get their skulls caved in and their skin burnt off. They only make things worse.
>>
>>94909260
Being reminded of the past has value, it gets you thinking about how far we've come as a society, the actions of a those who came before us, a comparative point for how they may have behaved in these circumstances. You seem pretty worked up about this if you think lunatics are the only people who can take something from a confederate statue or flag.
>>
>>94909260
The fact that you don't find any social value in those doesn't mean they don't have any. People want to keep them for a reason.
>>
>>94909210
If you're intimidated by a statue in the post Jim Crow era doesn't that make you kind of a little bitch?

Seriously, this is all just people projecting anger at their own shitty lives and problems they don't want to face up to and deal with onto other things and people. Wow, yeah, that inanimate object sure is oppressing blacks, good job getting it removed! Give yourself a good pat on the back!
>meanwhile black people's lives haven't improved one bit
>>
>>94909260
> Washington was a slave owner therefore he has no right to be pictured on government property
If you hate the nation so much, just fucking LEAVE. Life hack: the entire US revolution was a terrorist uprising supported by the French because rich businessmen were defending their inalienable right to not pay taxes.
>>
>>94909292
I agree that history has value but it's kind of fucked up that US history is written by the winners in 9 out of 10 cases but when the confederacy comes into the equation suddenly we have to tell the loser's story, and often in glowing terms.
>>
>>94909205
Public statues are a a place of honor, museums are a place of historical preservation. Intentionally being obtuse about this shit and its hard to not assume it comes from a place of hate. I mean, when and why did Robert E Lee get so fucking popular?
>>
>>94908818
They also didn't allow women on ships and constantly raped them.
>b-but Anne Bonney
She and her fat friend were there because they were Captain Jack's fucktoys.
>>
>>94909309
If it doesn't matter then why get bent out of shape if people decide to take it down?
>>94909312
>If you hate the nation so much, just fucking LEAVE.
That's literally what the confederacy did. They didn't like the new rules of the land so they left. So why should we literally put them up on a pedestal?
>>
File: 1488897751835.png (935KB, 723x884px) Image search: [Google]
1488897751835.png
935KB, 723x884px
Liberals should be barred from any historical teaching and conservation capacity, debate, study, or governing body.
>>
>>94909312

Never said anything about Washington.
>>
>>94907247
that was like 30 years ago

get with the times grandpa
>>
File: IMG_3224.jpg (242KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3224.jpg
242KB, 640x480px
>>94909299
Racism?
>>
>>94909320
The left ensures he gets more popular by the day.
>>
>>94909162
>>94909320
As long as we don't take down or burn statues of people who signed the declaration of independence or the emancipation proclamation. I mean, it's not like this trend of destroying statues will spread to other figures...
>>
>>94909351
Confederate flags and statues are glorified and protected that much because people view them as symbols of their culture, their history and their distinctive character. It doesn't really have to do anything with racism.
>>
Fun game anons find a statue being moved that was built before the 1900s.
>>
>>94909336
It's ironic, but the left, comprising of antifa, SJW's and LGBT zealots have become the new fascists.

Stomping on the rights of others, campaigning against free speech and attempting to create a tightly controlled society where their world is law and opposing viewpoints must be met with violence and murder.
>>
If history is this important and immutable thing then why are southern states still allowed to call it "The War of Northern Aggression"? Because it sounds like more like revisionist history is only a bad thing when people you dislike are holding the red pen.

Personally I think the ideal compromise would be to leave all the statues and monuments up but spend a couple thousand dollars on a metal placard for each one that says "...And he was an asshole". That way you still get to honor the people but you have to accept that they were also dicks.
>>
>>94909330
>That's literally what the confederacy did.
Confederates were throwing a temper tantrum because they wanted blacks to not have rights or pay taxes yet still fight wars and contribute votes. That's called property, and nowhere in any constitution does property get a vote. Damn hypocrites deserved a good whooping.
>>
>>94909316
It was a defining moment in the history of the nation and underpins most laws upheld in modern day. Putting slavery aside as a major aspect of the civil war, consider the core argument being fought over by the participants; to what degree can a government dictate policy in each individual state if a state's population is opposed to that policy? The answer is the government wins by military force and citizens accept that outcome.
>>
>>94909383
>to accept that they were also dicks
Accept they weren't
>>
>>94909377
Find a picture being of the confederate flag being flown before the 1950s.
>>
File: 1460792999574.jpg (71KB, 581x542px) Image search: [Google]
1460792999574.jpg
71KB, 581x542px
Let the population of the town the statue is in vote to decide to keep the statue or donate it to a museum. Outsiders can keep their fucking mouths shut.
>>
>>94909377

Except that history and culture are intrinsically connected to racism. You can't just take out the bad parts.
>>
>>94909134
nothing positive about killing people because you want to own other people as slaves
>>
>>94909394
What would that prove?
>>
>>94909383
It was the North that declared war on the South, after the South legally ceded from the union as was their right according to the constitution.
So it was the war of Northern Aggression, pure and simple.

There is nothing wrong about that, it's fact.
>>
>>94909392
Yeah, they were. All memorable people are dicks to somebody.
>>
>>94909402
Nothing positive about assaulting people because you perceive them to be deserving of it.
>>
>>94909386
>>94909330
The united states was actually prepared to meet the slave owning states halfway and let some states be free and some be slave states and just leave it at that and let it be up to the states to decide.

But because the south seceded, they forfeited the right to have any concessions made. Had they not seceded, slavery might have lasted a bit longer in this nation and things might have gone considerably different.
>>
>>94909398
You just want to make it about race, because this point is easier to defend.
>>
>>94909330
>That's literally what the confederacy did. They didn't like the new rules of the land so they left. So why should we literally put them up on a pedestal?
They were right to leave and the Union should have let them. The people of the Confederacy supported the Confederate government and imposing the rule of Washington on them by force was anti-democratic.

The USA is a ridiculous country, it should be at least two, probably three or four different countries. The people are too different to be governed by a single government and that is what we're seeing boil over now. I'll be surprised if the USA makes it to its 300th anniversary and I hope it doesn't.
>>
>>94909309
Okay dude. If there was a guy who fought a war over keeping your ancestors as objects instead of people, and you had to walk by a statue of that mother fucker on your way to school, maybe youd see it from another angle. If that statue went up in a time when your grandparents were alive to remember getting death threats if they dared vote. Thats when the statues went up and thats what they represent for a lot of americans. You can not care about that, your prerogative, but is it really that hard to understand?
>>
File: 1456338912132.jpg (14KB, 286x240px) Image search: [Google]
1456338912132.jpg
14KB, 286x240px
>>94909419
>yfw the south ended slavery
>>
>>94909397
Majority of people polled said that it's not a symbol of racism.
>>
>>94909390
>Putting slavery aside as a major aspect of the civil war,
Why? I thought history was worth cherishing and protecting. I agree with everything else you said and it is worthwhile as an object lesson of states rights but there's more than one way to frame the narrative and when you downplay slavery as so many proponents of keeping these memorials up are wont to do it's immensely hypocritical with regards to preserving and telling the whole story.
>>
>>94909398
>You can't just take out the bad parts
But the Wewuz Kings love pretending to have been Egyptian rulers, without ever mentioning or acknowledging that Egypt was built by slaves.

So why exactly can't you ignore the bad parts and focus on the good?
Or does it somehow magically not apply to anything except white history?
>>
>>94909420

Of course its about race. You can scream that it's actually about states rights all you want, but race was a factor, a major factor, a factor that can't even be removed from the conversation.
>>
File: 1492905656531.jpg (41KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1492905656531.jpg
41KB, 500x371px
>>94908791
>Hes triggered by statues of 100 year old Americans
Either you're black or have heavy white guilt. They're a part of our history and teach us what happened, whether we like it our not. What should the pyramids be torn down because slaves built them?
>>
>>94909434
I think the statues look nice
>>
>>94909434
I wasn't talking about the war itself though, of course slavery was a huge part of it. But Civil War isn't the only part of Southern culture.
>>
>>94909425
Anon you need to put yourself in his shoes. He probably gets that feeling you get every time starfire or domino gets cast as a black chick.
>>
>>94909435
No don't be silly, we should only tear down monuments in western society because it's evil and white and imperialism and blah blah blah.
>>
>>94909320
You should look up Lee's history and the terrible choice he had to make as the war was starting; side with the government, or his home state which seceded from the union. He went with virginia and saw the war through to the end. He then got the separatist states to come back into the union, everyone respected him as a leader.
>>
File: IMG_3301.jpg (225KB, 1200x1805px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3301.jpg
225KB, 1200x1805px
>>94909312
I think its the other way around bro
The statues are being taken down to represent how the majority feel in the ever evolving USA. Its you backwoods retards that dont like the nation. I think its time you find a new place to live. Also dont try to take american land on your way out this time unless you wanna lose another war.
>>
>>94909422
The south was defending an archaic form of ball+chain slavery when irish factory owners already perfected a new, superior wage slavery. Plantation owners were under pressure to STEP UP their game to use superior white peasant labor and they refused. They were in the wrong.
>>
>>94909162
>Take the statue down and put it in a museum
well i agree with this completely
problem being people who will protest it being in a museum now
>>
>>94909312
great argument
>>
>>94909446

>But Civil War isn't the only part of Southern culture.

Of course it's not. But Confederate and Southern culture are two different things.
>>
>>94909403
That the flag has has a cultural history behind it.
>>
>>94909429
Sort of. It would have ended on its own more or less but the south pushed the issue and felt that they could win. Obviously in this case it ended far more dramatically and quickly that way but had it not eventually it just wasn't going to remain a viable trade. Every other nation was ending the practice which meant the slave trade from Africa was drying up. There was no way they could expand it to meet up with the demands; not that slavery was all that particularly prominent in the south. It was getting more and more expensive and less viable. It wasn't a sustainable business model, as they say.
>>
>>94909432
Because when you inject slavery into the arguement that's what it all comes back to
>you want to keep the statue up? You support slavery
>you want to keep the confederate flag? You support slavery
>you don't want to rename the streets, parks and buildings? You support slavery
I'm sick to death of hearing it.
>>
>>94909454
>The statues are being taken down to represent how the majority feel in the ever evolving USA
27% of people said they should be removed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-protests-poll-idUSKCN1B12EG
>>
>>94909468
Glad to see the American South learned from history and isn't latching onto unsustainable business models.
>>
>>94909462
What I wanted to say was the symbol used during CW by the South (Confederate battle flag) has now been adopted as a symbol of Southern culture. It no longer symbolizes what it used to. Like you know, Swastika, which originally symbolized something completely different than what it does in 20th century.
>>
File: Confederate Soldiers.jpg (689KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Confederate Soldiers.jpg
689KB, 1024x680px
>>94909425
>If there was a guy who fought a war over keeping your ancestors as objects instead of people
Except that was not the point of the Civil War, you brainwashed leftie. That's the narrative that was made up centuries later to vilify the south.

The war was about the North taking too much and giving nothing back to the South, while the South had little to say in matters of legislative and commercial matters despite producing the cotton and food for most of the country.

It was basically the war of independence 2.0, where the US ceded from the British that gave them no representation, the South wanted to leave the North behind which did the exact same thing.

Slavery was a byline, as by the beginning of the civil war slavery was just as prevalent in the North as in the south. The North eventually used it as a political tool to ensure black people would join the Union army if they were promised their freedom, at the same time severely crippling the South by inciting slave revolts so that they could no longer afford to fight for independence.
>>
>>94909450
Indifference? Mild outrage that they use black skin as an excuse and racism as a cover for a good costume when in reality theyre just cheap and lazy? I see what you tried to do there but its a false equivalency
>>
>It's a southerners think they're people thread

You guys lost the war and are soon all gonna be 10 feet underwater. Just give it up.
>>
>>94909482
So? Just because you're sick of hearing about an aspect of history doesn't mean it should go away, right?
>>
>>94907247
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>94909456
Switching from a slave based economy to an automation economy is incredibly difficult and can't just happen overnight, it would have crippled the south' economy. They left the union because they didn't want that to happen and wanted to self-govern.
>>
> Be southerner
> Claim blacks are inhuman
> breed with black women ironically
> Now crying that darkies are ruining their world
Y'all dumbasses brought the eugenics bomb upon yourselves
>>
>>94909485
I'm not sure what you're driving at but for the record I'm northern as they get.

To that end, the north kept slaves longer than the south did for a number of reasons - typically in factories. Probably because the north was no better.
>>
>>94909487

>What I wanted to say was the symbol used during CW by the South (Confederate battle flag) has now been adopted as a symbol of Southern culture. It no longer symbolizes what it used to

I don't buy it. The nasty history is still there, it's still Confederate.
>>
>>94909490
>That's the narrative that was made up centuries later to vilify the south.
History is nothing but narratives of the winning team. Even what you said could just be said to be the narrative of the sore loser.
>>
>>94909402
all history deserves to be remembered because all history happenned, at the very least you can leearn not to do it again
>>
>>94909425
I would not give a fuck, because I'm not my ancestors and I live in the present. Those people and the people they oppressed or who followed them are long dead. I'd rather get on with my fucking life and not spend my time dwelling on a past I didn't experience or blaming outside factors for making me feel bad. The one who chooses to feel bad and limits themselves by doing so is you. You can choose not to give a fuck and live your life thinking of yourself as a free man rather than an oppressed victim.
>>
>>94909512
I was thinking about coal miners, mostly.
>>
>>94909498
It's the only counter arguement I ever hear and it's a weak emotionally powered one at that.
>>
>>94909519
And you're saying you willingly choose to fall for it, because you have no alternative?
>>
>>94909525
>I would not give a fuck, because I'm not my ancestors and I live in the present.
I agree. Live in the present and get over the shit in your past. Which means you don't need statues. Get on with your life.

That's why this shit is so hilarious. It's one group of losers saying they should get to celebrate the fact that they were losers and still are losers, while telling the other group of losers to get over the fact that they were and still are losers.
>>
>>94909513
And thats the problem right there. You want to make it about racism as I have stated, because thats an universal argument which can't be countered. You don't really care what these symbols are for people and their culture, the only thing you care about is your own opinion of those.
>>
>>94909490
It's kind of funny how you guys spent decades insisting that you're "the party of Lincoln" and that there's no difference between the Democratic party and the Confederacy, and then you threw it away in less than a week because you just hate "dindus" THAT much.
>>
>>94909509
Guess what. The north automation economy didn't happen overnight. It took the deaths of tens of thousands of potato slaves to build it while southerners were content with dragging in the only nignogs dumb enough to get caught but because they weren't people they didn't have to pass any immigration sanity check.

We're still paying for their stupidity today.
>>
>>94909549
I'm saying that's what you're doing. You're trying to oppression olympics your way into a victory for the confederacy. Oh boo hoo the mean old north was abusing them. Get over it. You lost.
>>
>>94909564
>You don't really care what these symbols are for people and their culture
A symbol can mean different things to different cultures though. You're saying "let's only pay attention to what this symbol means to THESE people, not THOSE people".
>>
>>94909584
I never understood the "you lost argument". Is that supposed to mean that winning automatically makes you the good guys?
>>
>>94909490
The history is certainly interesting but the norths strategy worked. If your black back then or now all the other parts of the civil war arent what stand out, because their freedom was on the line. The moment that became apart of the war that became historically the most important part of the war, peoples freedom, which is fitting for an american tale. I learned some things in this thread, things that make me think a confederate museum could be a place were we could all come together to learn about our shared history. Personally the statues bother me a little, but its a none issue compared to how race is used to divide the poor agaisnt itself as a cover for the wealthy. We should all ditch racism for classism, and really start hating on those aristocrats! My two cents
>>
File: Calexit-1-Ricks.jpg (298KB, 914x1405px) Image search: [Google]
Calexit-1-Ricks.jpg
298KB, 914x1405px
>>94909494
I agree.
Radical secessionists aren't people.

>>94909534
Whether you like it or not, most of your power comes from coal. As far as sustainability goes, coal is fine. That's not getting into ecological stability. Business stability is a separate animal. We have enough coal to last us possibly a thousand years or more, so as a business, it's fine. Environmentally, that's another story.

Coal miners themselves as an occupation however have a hell of a job though and I don't envy them.
>>
>>94909584
So you're saying because the bad guys won the civil war, they were somehow in the right and this automatically gives other bad guys the right to do the same to others in this day and age?
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZZQzyhp7g
>>
>>94909598
You've never heard the phrase "history was written by the winners"?
>>
>>94909598
It's an easy place to go when you feel threatened by a point of view
>you lost, therefore your statement is invalid
>>
>>94909595
True, but in that case both alternatives are bad, as both are kinda right in their own way.
>>
>>94909595
well when "those people" want everyone who isn't white and straight dead they and their symbols SHOULDN'T be paid attention to
>>
>>94908742
>the symbol that the staute represented meant more than the person that it was representing
Right, like how the statue OP actually wants to talk about represents "Fuck black people".
>>
>>94909608
"Good" and "Bad" are fluid terms.
>>
>>94909595
>but what about mu OTHER CULTURES
What the fuck does India care about some flag on the other side of the world, might I ask?
>>
>>94909608
yes the people who fought to end slavery are the "bad guys"
>>
>>94909619
That side is THESE people, not THOSE people. Which goes to prove my point.
>>
>>94909611
That phrase is mostly use to condemn the winners (or at least some of their actions), so I have no idea how it can be used as an argument in their favor.
>>
>>94909603
> Coal miners themselves as an occupation however have a hell of a job though and I don't envy them.
Surface mining isn't too bad. Plant some high tech super scoopers, drive a few 500 ton super trucks and it's all good. The issue comes with deep mining, which for some reason uses way too much manual labor.
>>
File: IMG_3293.jpg (286KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3293.jpg
286KB, 3840x2160px
>>94909512
I love this argument!

>>When racism was commonplace, and the south wanted to keep people as objects, remember the north sucked and was racist too!
>>This absolves the south
>>
>>94909625
We both know you're not dumb enough to think I was talking about India. Why would you resort to trying to bait me? We're having a civilized conversation.
>>
>>94909117
>General Lee and Co. were fighting for their right to own black people as slaves
American's understanding of their own history is fucking awful. It's why you're so eagerly following people who are out to destroy you.
>>
>>94909636
Yeah, the whole war was about slavery and the North rallied around the idea of ending it

Pick up a history book, moron
>>
>>94909638
Mostly because it's used to erase any contribution my people have ever made culturally or socially, so when the shoe is on the other foot I have to savor it for however fleeting it will be there.
>>
File: natacha.jpg (231KB, 520x800px) Image search: [Google]
natacha.jpg
231KB, 520x800px
>>94909621
>"Fuck black people".
What's wrong with that, exactly?
Black people are attacking and killing white people solely based on the color of their skin and their own racist hatred of non-blacks. They're advocating the wholesale slaughter and systematic genocide of white people while simultaneously demanding the white man uplift them and care for them.

So yeah.
Fuck black people.
>>
>>94909647
I know you weren't talking about India, I am mocking you because I know you ARE dumb enough to think any culture but the place the statue is in matters
>>
>>94909650
Even if it was solely about slavery (which it wasn't), it still can't possibly mean the North was right about everything.
>>
I feel like there is a very intelligent black brother in this thread and respect man because I sort of want to read this thread but I'm trying to kill brain cells by watching Death Note before I watch McGregor destroy Mayweather. Educate these fools, senpai.

Also America your statues are dumb. Who keeps monuments of oppressors and losers of wars? lol even Germany got rid of their Nazi shit.
>>
>>94909648
>It's why you're so eagerly following people who are out to destroy you.
did you forget to add your parenthesis in there somewhere /pol/?
>>
>>94909643
It's not meant to absolve the south, it's meant to show that there were no good guys and bad guys and the civil war had more complex causes than you assume.
>>
File: IMG_3258.png (118KB, 426x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3258.png
118KB, 426x306px
>>94909525
I do choose to live that way, and I express my freedom by supporting the removal of dumbass old statues. Personally I just want better statues. We should look up to scientists and put statues up of them instead of war heroes (or failures).
>>
>>94909663
Fuck off /pol/ you faggot.
>>
File: lincolnbustfront.jpg?w=763.jpg (516KB, 763x625px) Image search: [Google]
lincolnbustfront.jpg?w=763.jpg
516KB, 763x625px
>>94909643
I'm not trying to absolve the south though.

I'm trying to say that people try to speak from a position of innocence and say that one side should be silent because of their collective guilt while possessing the same guilt themselves. Aside from the guilt by association argument, it's implicitly stating that you're ok with the slavery and heinousness of your past, but, everyone else's is wrong?

Or am I reading you incorrectly?
Again. Not from the south. I just don't like people from the north pretending that the south own sole guilt.
>>
>>94909648
>Lee was a gud boy he dindu nuffin.
It's fun watching you guys turn into everything you claim to hate.
>>94909650
You should specify that he should pick up a history book published south of the Mason Dixon.
>>
>>94909673
Germany was kind of made to get rid of them.
>>
>>94909677
Only if you're paying
>>
>>94909663
Do you think posting a sexual cartoon lady somehow validates your nonsensical point?
>>
>>94909663
oh did a black person drive that car in Charlottesville?

dumbass nazi fuck
>>
>>94909643
>This absolves the south
No you fat dumb faggot.
It just means the North has no moral superiority and you're in the wrong by pulling down Robert E. Lee statues if you don't tear down the Lincoln memorial at the same time.

If you're going to use racism to justify your vandalism, at least check a history book so you don't look like a fucking retard who just wants to destroy stuff because you're an antisocial, maladjusted shithead.
>>
>>94909678
Back fo tumblr with you
Go on, now
>>
>>94909668
>A place can only have one culture.
C'mon bro you're better than that. Class differences alone insure that you're always gonna have at least two.
>>
>>94909695
>Violence is okay when antifa and BLM do it
>>
>>94909663
We learned it from watching you, dad! We learned it from watching you!
>>
>>94909648
> Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Your 3/5ths bullshit has got to stop, man.
> No, I want black roads and white roads and I want to be able to buy votes
> Fuck off you can't have your cake and enslave it too
> Fine, we're leaving
> You can't leave!
> Watch us. We're going to have slaves, and black jack, and hookers, and all the votes a property owner could ever want
> Okay, I'm throwing an intervention. You can't leave. You can't have slaves any more. The nigger mentality has gone to your head!
> Waaah but muh riiiiiiiights
> FUCK. OFF.
>>
>>94909683
the south does own sole guilt because the north evolved past slavery and the south decided they would rather start a war than end it
>>
>>94909695
No, but they did raid and burn down entire neighbourhoods.
Mostly their own, funny enough
>>
>>94909677
Yes, we should keep the statues we have, like the signers of the declaration of independence

>>94909683
Or of the president who signed the emancipation proclamation.
>>
>>94909561
Which conveniently ignores the non-political argument that statues should be preserved as historical monuments. But if you want to believe those people are all just lying secret racists be my guest. The way people are carrying on with their fingers in their ears on both sides another civil war probably isn't far off.
>>
>>94909701
If you're gonna handle that definition you might as well consider every fucking household a different culture

Use commonly accepted definitions or fuck right off
>>
>>94909715
How is that an argument against General Lee? Seriously, have you ever read a word about the man?
>>
File: IMG_3267.png (244KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3267.png
244KB, 500x499px
>>94909598
You obtuse mother fucker. In this instance, yea. Bith sides sucked, but one side smartly decided to make owning a race of people the issue and historically onward, made the south the bad guys. Just like Nazi's, confederates are also bad guys. Contrarianism being brought to you by full retard!
>>
>>94909720
>the north evolved past slavery
The north held slaves longer than the south did.
Your statement is factually and historically inaccurate.
>>
>>94909673
>before I watch McGregor destroy Mayweather
He's gonna go down like a bigger bitch than Rousey.
>>
>>94909697
>you're in the wrong by pulling down Robert E. Lee statues if you don't tear down the Lincoln memorial at the same time.

Thankfully we're progressively burning (burning? apparently we're burning them now) statues of lincoln!
>>
File: man_shrugging.jpg (96KB, 650x540px) Image search: [Google]
man_shrugging.jpg
96KB, 650x540px
There should be an immediate death penalty for destroying historical monuments and indulging in historical revisionism, regardless if said history is "good" or "bad". Because that is entirely subjective, and does not give anyone the right to erase the past just because it makes them uncomfortable.
>>
>>94909736
Only that he was on the wrong side of the war. Had some all right ideas but French ideals are custom tailored to implode like clockwork.
>>
File: 1419790939592.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1419790939592.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>94909745
>>
File: gondolaart6.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gondolaart6.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>94909086
>in all serioussness can all the violence stop? i dont like nazis nor communists
Stop being a rational human being, you dumb nigger. Pick one moronic extreme or the other
>>
>>94909715
I'm not American you fucking moron.
>>
>>94909638
>>I have no idea how it can be used as an argument in their favor.
Nuance being lost on an autist. Nothing to see here, move along
>>
>>94909740
>doesn't have arguments
>resorts to insults
And for a second there I was hoping for a civil conversation.
>>
>>94909086
>in all serioussness can all the violence stop?
Only a nazi would defend nazis by saying that violence isn't the right political course of action!
>>
>>94909731
Hey, I offered a compromise. Just add an asterisk and a footnote that says all the bad shit as well as the good shit. That way even more history gets preserved. What's wrong with that?
I'd even say yeah, add those to the lincoln and washington monuments too. More transparency and history for everybody! Where's the problem then?
>>
>>94909778
You people just can't argue with, the moment you are driven into a corner you just start spitting insults and labels.
>>
File: lols.jpg (12KB, 153x200px) Image search: [Google]
lols.jpg
12KB, 153x200px
The left needs to stop pretending it cares about racism and admit they just want to destroy stuff because they're neo-anarchists.
>>
File: 0000f6c9_medium[1].jpg (88KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
0000f6c9_medium[1].jpg
88KB, 639x426px
>>94909698
I was here before you.
For a bunch of cunts who believe in segregation, you sure have trouble sticking to your own board.
>>
>>94909734
I can't reach into your mind and pull out the definition you'll accept exclusively, senpai.
>>
>>94909740
So you admit that the North basically used "muh slaves" as a bullshit excuse they didn't even believe in to claim the moral high ground, yet you call it contrarian to call them out on it?
>>
>>94909728
>Or of the president who signed the emancipation proclamation.

Right. Even though he supported war criminals that murdered Southern civilians, whom he claimed were American citizens -- his own citizens.
>>
>>94909802
What? No, that's silly. That would only be true if they started burning statues of people who were on the union side of the war!

AND THAT HASN'T HAPPENED!
>>
File: book burning.jpg (92KB, 720x653px) Image search: [Google]
book burning.jpg
92KB, 720x653px
>>94908742
>pulling down statutes leads to destroying art work and burning books

Don't worry, those are on the SJW agenda too.
>>
>>94909819
That's because that would get them in trouble.
>>
>>94909813

>Right. Even though he supported war criminals that murdered Southern civilians, whom he claimed were American citizens -- his own citizens.
Oh.

Well then let's definitely burn statues of him.
>>
>>94909811
What part of "commonly accepted definitions" eludes your brain?
>>
>>94909819
exactly, thats what the alt right pays actors to do instead
>>
>>94909062
>Do what some places are doing and just put up statues of civil rights people and other black figures to balance it.

That's exactly how to do it.

The answer to speech you don't like is more speech you do like.
>>
>>94909715
>Okay, I'm throwing an intervention. You can't leave. You can't have slaves any more. We're going to have slaves for just a bit longer, but you can't

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>94909794
I don't think there's any problem adding seperate new information boards near statues to explain their historical context, no. That would be my preferred outcome as well. I just don't think they should be taken down or the original statues altered because like I say, my interest is in the preservation of history not glorifying racism.
>>
>>94909833
>That's because that would get them in trouble.

I was being facetious. It actually has happened. You didn't hear about it FOR SOME STRANGE REASON >>94909683
>>
>>94909848
In the US, the answer is to outlaw and ban speech you don't like.
>>
>>94909835
I'm not the anon you're arguing with but seriously mate. The world is bigger than your neighbourhood.
>>
>>94909843
So they paid someone to burn an effigy of lincoln that no one saw happen? To whom do you think that would be attributed if no one saw it?

And did they pay the alt-right to take down the statue of one of the signers to the declaration of independence too?
>>
>>94909851
>Okay, I'm throwing an intervention. You can't leave. You can't drink any more. We're going to drink because it doesn't dominate and destroy our lives, but you can't anymore
Uh yeah that's basically how interventions work.
>>
>>94909835
The part of the mental disconnect the majority culture and that of minorities in the same communities. That train of thought usually ends at a "x doesn't have a culture" or "y never contributed to civilization" that reeks of double standards. But of course this all goes back to the original point of history only being worth salvaging when it can make you (and i mean the royal you not you specifically) feel good about yourself.
>>
File: pink.jpg (53KB, 565x386px) Image search: [Google]
pink.jpg
53KB, 565x386px
>>94909277
Does that mean we can tear down ugly modern art statues?

>>94909865
In Europe, you mean. Thankfully America has the First Amendment, so that process takes much much longer.
>>
>>94909855
>He cant even tell a false flag when he sees one
way to be a puppet
>>
>>94909865
>In the US
and Britain, and Germany, and everywhere else people have brains
>>
>>94909802

But the left loves racism! It's a rallying point!

The left loves segregation! Don't appropriate my culture! Stay in your lane!
>>
>>94909884
A false flag has to be seen waved to be effective.
>>
>>94909744
Yes the Emancipation Proclamation ended slavery in the South. Before the 13th amendment formerly ended slavery
>>
>>94909683
Honestly I dont give a rats ass about whos more guilty of being assholes during more racist times. The only reason southern bashing comes up is because of the hard on for confederate statues. Its really just the reaction of
>>Dont take away my history
>>Your history is also my history, and Id like to put it in a more appropriate place
>>Its current place is fine! Stupid lefty dont understand history!
>>Your clearly a racist for supporting this shit!
>>I will march with Nazis over the removal of a confederate statue holding a torch emulating KKK terrorism under the banner of white nationalism while chanting racial slurs to PROOVE Im not a racist
>>Wha blagh fuck?! (Which honestly is an appropriate response to such imaginative escalation)

Are we seeing how quickly this esculated? How we all just ran from rational thought like it was a lepper playing tag?
>>
>>94909853
I think if you put the information on the statue itself it's okay. You're adding onto it, rather than taking it down, and that way it's a lot harder to overlook and pretend otherwise; you won't be able to deface one without the other as well so in the long run it's probably the safer choice.

Did we just solve this thing?
>>
>>94909869
I've been around the world, mate. Enough to realise that when people talk about "cultures" in everyday conversation, they mean rather distinct groups typically living in different geographical locations.

Don't get asshurt because people bitched on you for not being clear about what you mean. That's on you, not us.
>>
>>94909900
Correct.
And the north continued to own slaves long after that.
>>
>>94909834

Not saying that. Just saying that he's not any better or worse than the people whose statues are being attacked.
>>
>>94909874
>Effigy there for years of the great man that fought back against southern aggression and helped end slavery
>Suddenly neo nazis get ass blasted when their emperors statue gets fucked by the left
>The left destroys the effigy out of revenge for taking down slave emperor Lee
totally makes sense
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJNVb0GnPI
>>
>>94909819
Anfita and other communist groups are already starting this shit in countries that NEVER had slavery.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>94909926
I was being facetious. I'm sorry I had no way to make that more obvious to you.
>>
>WAAAAH WHY IS MY RACIST VIDEO BEING CENSORED FOR HATE SPEECH
get over it already
>>
>>94909881
Thank you anon, a clear and concise explanation of the point that was being made. That was all I asked for and I even agree with you
>>
>>94909926
>making a public area look like gang territory
Should be made to clean up parks for the next few months
>>
>>94909894
Appropriation is a weird thing. I think the problem isn't that it happens so much as it happens without credit. Some people go to an extreme and think "if we're not gonna get credited for this or vindicated by history then why the fuck do you get to use it?"
Like with modern music and how a huge percent of it can probably be tracked back to black people.
>>
>>94909903
>while chanting racial slurs to PROOVE Im not a racist
Nigger they didn't say shit, they said "You will not replace us" which, surprise, media outlets decided to claim was them saying jews will not replace us. Funny how it only takes a single event with media dog whistling to be enough to okay mass removal of long standing statues.
>>
>>94909903
Your post is basically MUH ARGUMENT COMICS but without the visuals
>>
>>94909916
Or because the left has motives that are unfathomably silly
>>94909926
>>
So, seeing how much /co/ actually likes some political stuff once in a while, do you think mods should allow one political thread per board to contain /pol/ and tumblr? I mean, not a /pol/ thread per se with some obnoxiously extreme opinions, but a rather civil one.
>>
>>94909851
>The north was evil and hypocrite, that's why it's Ok to keep statues in public spaces that glorify people that literally fought to keep slaves, it's perfectly reasonable, we are also parading down the streets armed with weapons chanting nazi hymns, if you as part of what we declare an inferior race feel uncomfortable, you better shut up if you know what's good for you.
>>
>>94909926
thats clearly the alt right trying to stir shit
>>
>>94909953
>You will not replace us
you want to try actually listening to it?
>>
>>94909909
>they mean rather distinct groups typically living in different geographical locations.
Is "the south side" really that different geographically that it stops counting as relevant? I mean I guess with gerrymandering I can see why but still.
>>
>>94909910
What was the key difference between north slavery and south slavery?
>>
>>94909906
No, because what information are you going to add? MLK was a communist, adulterer, wife beating, plagiarist, are you going to slap that onto every MLK statue?
These statues exist to honor the good deeds these men did, everyone has their vices.
>>
>>94909900

The Emancipation Proclamation went into effect to prevent European countries from coming to the South's aid. It's basically what turned the war from being about the Right to Secede into a War over Slavery. The theory was that the PR of fighting on the slave side of a war over slavery would be too much for the Eurostates to handle.

Then the French lost the Battle of Puebla, and the idea of intervention was basically killed.
>>
>>94909965
Retard
>>
>>94909972
Is this one of those real questions or are you baiting?
>>
>>94909953
So, who's the "You" in the statement then? You's a pronoun. Give me the proper noun.
>>
>>94909966
Have you?

"Jews will not replace us" doesn't even make ANY FUCKING SENSE to shout, considering the whole idea they have is that jews are these masterminds that enslave us all, not replace us all.
>>
>>94909697
This is exactly why we need to remove the statues. Dumbasses thinking Robert E Lee and Lincoln are comparable

You can kick and scream about all the ways lincoln was racist and lee was not, and all the ways that the civil war wasnt about racism. Your intentionally glossing over the "slavery" part like its a footnote. Maybe it is a footnote to you, maybe you really dont get why for a lot of people thats the most important part of the civil war. I'll ask point blank; Do you not get why slavery is the most important part of the civil war when viewed from a historical context?
>>
>>94909980
>No, because what information are you going to add? MLK was a communist, adulterer, wife beating, plagiarist, are you going to slap that onto every MLK statue?
Sure. Why not?
I'd be okay with that.
>>
>>94909983
>Oh shit, He's not falling for our bullshit. better call him a retard
>>
File: secretempire burned.jpg (133KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
secretempire burned.jpg
133KB, 900x600px
>>94908742
>>94909830
>pulling down statutes leads to destroying art work and burning books
>>
>>94909966
I'm not invested in your argument.
I've heard it.

It's "You."
>>
>>94910001
>for a lot of people thats the most important part of the civil war
These people are complete and absolute morons.
>>
>>94909953

I thought the "You will not replace us" was a direct response to all of the "I can't wait until 2050" rhetoric.

2050 is the year when white people will be a minority in the US
>>
>>94909990
The government.. You know, what with America dropping from 90% white to 60% in less than 50 years.

>>94909966
I did, clearly it's you.
>>
>>94909910
How much longer?
Hadn't most Northern states already banned slavery by the time the war started?

>>94909972
That the North won?
>>
>>94910020
Yeah
Slavery was going to be abolished in a few years anyway due to machinery being cheaper to use than slave labor

The south seceding would have been a much bigger deal than slavery staying legal
>>
File: 1496699986296.gif (2MB, 330x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496699986296.gif
2MB, 330x200px
>>94910010
> Destroying things that don't agree with you leads to producing new and wonderful things
Ayyyy hol up. We gotz a skolla in da howws
>>
>>94910007
i mean desu I wouldn't mind having like two full pages worth of text beneath every statue to describe what the person actually did. god damn now you have me wanting it too.
>>
>>94910009
You are a fucking retard.
>>
>>94909953
Because getting replaced is a real fear nowdays and it's something the media can't address because it makes them look horrible since you know they have been targeting one group and one group only for years now and it's gotten so bad that people decide that it's ok to go shoot a bunch of right wing politicians
>>
>>94910023
>The government.. You know, what with America dropping from 90% white to 60% in less than 50 years.
I kind of want to ask what you really think the government should do about it but the more prescient question I have is ...So?
>>
>>94910032
>Hadn't most Northern states already banned slavery by the time the war started?
The emancipation proclamation was for the south. Not the north. There were several reasons they were exempt, not the least of which being corporate bodies being not considered individuals in those days and of course factories were owned by companies and corporations so TECHNICALLY an _individual_ wasn't owning slaves.

>How much longer?
If memory serves? The north discontinued it sometime after the war.
>>
>>94909972
> What was the key difference between north slavery and south slavery?

A few hundred thousand people died while abolishing slavery in the South?
>>
>>94910039
>that gif
SORCERY!
>>
>>94909995
There's a lot of posters on /pol/ (trolls or sincere, who can tell?) who claim that Jews want to replace all the white people in Europe and the US with Africans and Muslims and Muslim Africans.

That doesn't make any sense, since those same Muslims hate Jews as much as Nazis do, but they endlessly point to a handful of suicidal Jews like Barbara Spectre and claim they speak for everyone.

On the other hand, /pol/, which never misses an opportunity to celebrate Jew hatred, also insist that it was "You will not replace us", and which makes me wonder.
>>
>>94909926
>Blaming Cook, a naval officer and explorer who barely set foot in Australia for oppression of the Aborigines that occured long after he was dead
I hate this shit. At least get your targets right.
>>
>>94910056
It's a "real fear" for nazi retards no one else cares that's why no one addresses it because it doesn't fucking matter
>>
>>94910076
I am not that guy but whites have consistently been the most benevolent race in history and it is ridiculous to pretend that America would keep the same values or culture if the majority population was replaced
>>
>>94910078

Also, they didn't want the Northern slave states to secede.

Also, they needed food to feed the war effort, and someone had to work the fields.
>>
>>94910113
Work the fields. Mind the factories. Produce canvas for uniforms, make guns...

Slavery during wartime helped feed the war machine to the north. An ironic twist of fate.
>>
>>94910078
>There were several reasons they were exempt, not the least of which being corporate bodies being not considered individuals in those days and of course factories were owned by companies and corporations so TECHNICALLY an _individual_ wasn't owning slaves.
So couldn't the south have just incorporated?
>>
>>94910097

Fuck you, it rhymes.

If it rhymes, then it's... um... legit.
>>
>>94909425
i'm black and i don't give a fuck about confederate statues. a statue can't harm me unless it falls on me. maybe stop being a pussy white boy?
>>
>>94910094
>On the other hand, /pol/, which never misses an opportunity to celebrate Jew hatred, also insist that it was "You will not replace us", and which makes me wonder.
Because they realize that rally did massive damage to their "cause" so they're trying to undo some of it so people won't automatically write them off as the nazis they clearly are
>>
>>94910076
The reason identatarians want white people gone is that they believe that white people will always vote for white people's interests so you need them gone so every other racial group gets a chance
Wich is absolutely insane since people don't vote as a racial block and things like income is a better predictor of voting tendency's than race, also without white people you will move to the next race and the next race and we know this already
As for what to do? Enforcing the law would be a good start
>>
>>94910078
As far as I can tell, the only Northern states that still allowed slavery at the time of the Civil War were Maryland and Delaware. Maryland abolished in 1864, and Delaware in 1865.

Maryland was forced to stay in the Union even though many there wanted to secede. Don't know about Delaware.
>>
>>94910110
Not to me. And it seems like you're confusing replacing with mixing.
And what would be the solution to that? Because even if you put up an iron curtain you'd still have to enact breeding laws in order to curtail the "problem".
>>
>>94910035

You say that, but the US still hasn't found a replacement for slavery in agriculture. That's why there's such a demand for illegal immigrants.
>>
File: ab5.jpg (30KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
ab5.jpg
30KB, 620x670px
>>94910110
> Benevolent
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA No. But they're certainly the most entertaining race.

- God
>>
>>94910102
You may not like it but it's a legitimate fear, way more legitimate that lgbt people fearing getting killed or women fearing a conspiracy theory about a magic institution powered be testosterone
>>
>>94910133
If it rhymes it's prime.
If it rhymes it's not a crime.
If it rhymes it's sublime.
>>
>>94910139
The damage to their cause was from the guy in the Dodge Charger, who singlehandedly erased any gains the White Nationalist side made.

Otherwise, the news media might have focused on their racist chants and signs, but there'd have been plenty of attention to the antifa violence recorded by journalists and hundreds of people on both sides.

Not only did one terrorist ruin everything for his side, but he also legitimized the terrible pattern of violence from the other side.
>>
>>94910164
> the US still hasn't found a replacement for slavery in agriculture
Yes they did. That's why school vacation existed in the first place, so that a surge of able farm hands could work the fields during the most important times of the season.
>>
>>94910132
>So couldn't the south have just incorporated?
Most slaveholders in the south were wealthy land owners or businessmen. They were family run and owned operations. In spite of that, no, incorporating themselves into a proper business or cooperative wouldn't have exempted them as the emancipation proclamation was specifically directed at slave states.

>>94910152
Well the north did this, "let's gradually emancipate instead of all at once" thing. Again, the entire union was headed in this direction very gradually and, if the south hadn't seceded they probably would have gradually emancipated as well, just at a later date. Delaware kept slaves even after it wasn't profitable. Speaking of delaware, they didn't ratify the 13th amendment until 1901.

Fun fact. Before the emancipation proclamation there were about 600,000 slaves. At around 1860, it was around 3.9 million.
>>
>>94910149
I don't know if I count as an identatarian and I agree that nobody votes solely for their race (most of the time anyway), but to be completely honest I'm fucking scared of white people. I don't want you guys to all die out but ya'll need to fucking chill and maybe also stop acting like I'm shit just for being 66% brown.
>>
>>94908966
>it's okay to be a miserable piece of shit as long as other people around you are also okay with literally owning humans
bet you think it's cool to stone gays and adulterers in Iran as well eh
>>
File: 1502617764901.jpg (130KB, 897x500px) Image search: [Google]
1502617764901.jpg
130KB, 897x500px
>>94910177
>If it rhymes it's not a crime.
Ah yes the /pol/ motto
>>
>>94910157
Funny you should mention that...

A current theme among lefties is segregation. There's a big push that interbreeding (interaction, etc.) between races is wrong.

I guess they're trying to proliferate the problem. huh.
>>
>>94910216
>There's a big push that interbreeding (interaction, etc.) between races is wrong.
no
>>
>>94907247

You shouldn't take a statue down, instead you should put up a plack describing honestly what the person fought for rather than just a vague memorium.
>>
>>94910232
Woah. You sure shut him down.
>>
>>94910216
That's the right. The left believes that existing as anything other than a special snowflake is wrong.
>>
>>94910254
Well it's pretty easy when they say the stupidest shit imaginable so I can't take all the credit.
>>
>>94910256

Depends. Certain parts of the left believes it too, but they push the whites being the dirty genes that should never be mixed with the other races instead of the other races dirtying the pure whites.

Same shit, different wording.
>>
>>94910216
I'm gonna be honest. In the last three years the only ideology I can really agree to his horseshoe theory because if the left or the right wins it doesn't matter. Either way it's a bunch of rich white dudes telling me I can't think for myself and they need to make my decisions for me. Either I'm treated like a toy poodle or a raccoon but never a human.
I'm all for interbreeding though. Asians with big boobs are my fetish and that mulatto chick from the "america in 50 years" natgeo was a qt.
>>
>>94910256

And part of being a special snowflake is defending your specialness and keeping others from it.

Look at some BLM folks. Deray McKesson's twitter is a good place to start.

>>94910232
Fetching argument, but you should have gone with, "Nooooooooo!"
>>
We should build statues of best General throughout the his path to the sea.
>>
>>94910310
Who would that be?
>>
>>94910286
Get it right. Any deviation from special snowflakedom is an oppression of freedom, and whites are at the center of all oppression in the world without exception. Therefore whites should be bred into extinction.
>>
>>94910213
That's actual racism
You should look for help because you are limiting you own life and capacity
>>
>>94910289

You are, indeed, my brother.
>>
>>94910308
There's very little point in arguing against a delusional fantasy concocted so that someone can say "The liberals are the REAL racists!"
>>
>>94910330
Pretty sure he's talking about that Johnny Bravo finger puppet
>>
>>94910335
Already in therapy. Still not in any hurry to travel too far south. Statistically speaking it's just not a sound decision.
>>
>>94910332

That doesn't refute what I said. It's similar shit regardless, except one says whites are pure good while the other says whites are pure evil.
>>
>>94910350
"The liberals are ALSO racists!" is probably closer to the actual argument. Racism is beneficial to both the left and the right, since people can be irrational about it.
>>
>>94910373
If we're going off statistics, you're way more likely to get savagely beat or killed by someone your own race.
>>
What does it matter?

This thread isn't going to change things, even if people here can come to an agreement. Out there, America's burning because both sides want to tear each other apart. Just get the Civil War over and done with and spare us the misery of waiting for the inevitable.
>>
>>94910289
>Through dick, unity
If there's one thing that can unite us it's our desire for exotic vagina. Those really, really dark African native girls make my white dick diamonds, I can't understand /pol/, my biology is clearly telling me to race mix with the purest black girls that exist.
>>
>>94910373
You're far more likely to be stabbed to death by a black person for being too white than you are of being yelled at by a white person for being black.

Just reminding you.
>>
>>94910373
It's actually not about race for white people, not even for the Nazis or white supremacists, this is white people fighting white people and there is evidence of it everywhere
There are videos online of groups of white scrawny looking upper middle class college students with fake glasses and purple hair screaming race traitor and Uncle Tom to a black guy who is right wing or centrist or a trump supporter or not pro black lives matter
Check the comments on said videos, all people you think they want black people gone that want to smash the face of them
>>
>>94910214
>all of your ancestors did things you don't approve of
>so fuck them

This is why in Chinese culture dishonoring your ancestors will get you lynched
>>
>>94910394
>>94910350
There's degrees of it though. Liberals do some pretty fucked up, myopic, and downright bewildering shit when it comes to race and I don't agree with half of it (and this is why I hope Get Out wins an oscar) BUT they're by and large not the side playing the "this race is subhuman/genetically inferior" card. Both sides are racing to the bottom at breakneck speed tho.
>>
>Trump is going to live rent free in everyone's head for 7 more years

Feels comfy
>>
>>94909117
>3.) The difference is that people KNEW General Lee and Co. were fighting for their right to own black people as slaves. Nobody KNEW about Hans Sprungfeld.

Both sides in murica civil war use slave labor, even in South America we know this fact, why are muricans soo retarded?
>>
File: 3 months on 4chan.png (334KB, 308x459px) Image search: [Google]
3 months on 4chan.png
334KB, 308x459px
>58 ids
>304 posts
>>
>>94910405
Not if I don't leave the house.
>>94910419
I'm not, but maybe you are. So I can kind of understand how you feel. I'd rather be stabbed than lynched or tied behind a car though.
>>94910426
I'd rather not take my chances all the same even if I do agree with you (>>94910289
). Besides the only thing I'd want to travel south for is southern barbecue and to maybe try fried alligator and I can get that stuff here if I search hard enough.
>>
>>94908715
>>94908742
>>94908791
It's a historical relic, you uncultured swine.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 199x253px
>>94910330
Glad you asked. General Sherman.
I think Atlanta and Savannah could use some replacements statues.
>>
>>94910436
Either that or Chairman of the Communist Party
>>
>>94910458
>a few people from /pol/ and plebbit are shitting up the board

Who would have thought?
>>
>>94910212
>Well the north did this, "let's gradually emancipate instead of all at once" thing.

That was because of States Rights, Northern states abolished slavery on their own, mostly in the early 1800s.

>Again, the entire union was headed in this direction very gradually and, if the south hadn't seceded they probably would have gradually emancipated as well, just at a later date.

Very true. It's a lot cheaper (then and now) to use immigrant labor, where you only have to pay them, you don't have to feed and house them and take care of them in their old age.

>Fun fact. Before the emancipation proclamation there were about 600,000 slaves. At around 1860, it was around 3.9 million.

That doesn't make any sense. The Emancipation Proclamation was in 1863.

>>94910216
Horseshoe theory in action. No one here is doubting that the SJWs are just as bad as the alt-right.
(Personally I feel they're even worse, since they're so two-faced. It's one thing for a proudly racist KKK member to be racist, it's another thing entirely for a proud SJW anti-racism campaigner to be racist.)
>>
>>94910477
>Yes, people fear a situation where you mass import hundreds of millions of foreigners into previously homogenous nation
You're entitled to that fear, for all the good it does you. For me, it's a sign of safety in the incoming herd. It's a chance to no longer feel as alone. Perspective is funny like that.
>and then the indigenous population is bred out of existence by mixing
Hey, I'll have you know I'm 8% Native American.
>>
>>94910442
He won't even get seven more months not after yesterday
>>
>people debating causes, sides and morality of the American Civil War as if any of them have enough education to discuss the topic
>everyone just over generalizes and over simplifies to make whatever point suits them
>completely ignore the fact that the statues actually have nothing to do with the actual civil war and are later products of racist movements that mythologized the confederacy
>places way too much importance on statues in the first place, be honest when was the last time any of you even went up to a statue and actually read what it was about in the first place, no one cares about the statues other than a few extremists most people just care cause the other side cares

>This whole debate is on /co/

just please everyone who reads this, do me a favor and kill yourself, start improving the human gene pool and raise the collective intelligence of the human race.
>>
>>94909398
>Except that history and culture are intrinsically connected to racism
That's the history and culture of the United States as a whole. Need I remind you Washington was also a slave owner?
>>
>>94910480
>Not if I don't leave the house.
Again, this statistic includes hot burglaries. You're more likely, statistically, to receive violence from your own race than another. Even if you never leave the house.

But your odds are still low. You can't live your life in fear of what _might_ happen.

> I'd rather be stabbed than lynched or tied behind a car though.

Hanging is quick - snap of the neck. You don't choke to death.
Stabbing is a gruesome, awful way to die.

Being tied behind a car is also pretty terrible.
>>
File: 1503105298558.jpg (103KB, 640x634px) Image search: [Google]
1503105298558.jpg
103KB, 640x634px
>>94909381

>left
>new fascists
>Implying the original fascists were not also the left

Mussolinni was a socialist.
>>
Threads like these are why I fear european federalisation. The idea that fucking Spain could one day have a say in what we celebrate up here in the north makes me a little sick.

It is funny to me how people that hate America so much can feel such a strong desire to emulate it...
>>
>>94909425
Here's a crazy concept I'd like to run by you;

What if you...got upset over things that had actually happened to you in your lifetime instead of getting upset about things that happened to your great grandparents, you pathetic fucking faggot? It's a fucking inanimate object and it's public property, if that's what the taxpayers want then that's what they get, if not you can have a fucking local vote on it, jesus christ you burgers are a bunch of shitbrained animals.
>>
>>94910500
In new england, abolition was rather quick.

Other northern states, it was very gradual and slow with not much changing for many years, including children of slaves for a certain protracted period of time not being freed.

>It's a lot cheaper (then and now) to use immigrant labor, where you only have to pay them, you don't have to feed and house them and take care of them in their old age.
Not to mention the upfront cost of buying one.
>>
>>94910537
yeah and he was a lot more than that, like a hero

Meanwhile people like Robert E Lee are literally traitors who attempted to destroy this nation, they aren't bad just because they owned slaved, they are bad because they committed literal treason because they were worried someone might take away their slaves
>>
>reading threads like this, you become more and more convinced that the state of the current "left" is the result of a conspiracy by the rich to switch people in the left from fighting wealth/class inequality to bullshit non-issues
>>
>>94910531
>you're not allowed to discuss historic events at all unless you've finished at least three doctorates on the historical minutia of a given era
>>
>>94910531
>doing exactly what you're accusing others of and generalising, misrepresenting and simplifying others' arguments and points of view
You first m8
>>
>>94910555
>if not you can have a fucking local vote on it,
And then non-locals come in to defend it and overturn the decision.
>>
>>94910510
Maybe if republicans didn't gerrymander so well I'd agree. but people don't give a fuck bout senetors or the house when it's jut as important as congress. Unless republican voters change their minds democrats are fucked.
>>
>>94910555
>if not you can have a fucking local vote on it
Can't do that, most people are in favor of keeping the statue.
>>
>>94910289
>In the last three years the only ideology I can really agree to his horseshoe theory because if the left or the right wins it doesn't matter. Either way it's a bunch of rich white dudes telling me I can't think for myself and they need to make my decisions for me.

100% agree.

>>94910442
Sad but true. SJWs are killing the left. A lot of people only feel comfortable speaking out from the privacy of the voting booth.

>>94910480
>Not if I don't leave the house.

Most violence occurs at home, Anon. At the hands of someone the victim knew.

>>94910498
>58 posters
>a few

That's a great turnout, actually.

>>94910531
>be honest when was the last time any of you even went up to a statue and actually read what it was about in the first place,

I read every historical plaque I see. Most people don't do that, but on a place like /co/ you're a lot more likely to find readers.

>>94910537
>Need I remind you Washington was also a slave owner?

Which is why some people have already started calling for his statues to be torn down. That idea may seem silly now, but the idea of tearing down any statues seemed silly just 10 years ago.
>>
>>94910580
The politicians had decades to defuse the situation and avoid the drive to civil war. Don't fault a man like Lee for choosing to defend his home when shit inevitably hit the fan.
>>
>>94910510
I missed what happened yesterday.
>>
>>94910589
not that much, but you should be forced to take more than an American High School education before you allowed to have an opinion that matters

but what do I know, I'm an educated elite, I favor voter competency tests as well, god forbid we demanded people know how to think people before listen to their input on important issues
>>
>>94910508
So basically you're mentally retarded and one of those white people that steals benefits from actual natives? Cool stuff.
>>
>>94910609
>That idea may seem silly now
Richard Stockton was a signer to the declaration of independence and his statue was removed.

Because slaves.
>>
>>94910609
personally, i can't stand it. when you resort to these tactics you must not think that much of your ideals. To resort to violence is just barbaric.
>>
>>94909673
>Germany got rid of their Nazi shit.
And look how they turned out? We basically spent half a century telling Germany they weren't allowed to memorialize their dead, acknowledge their history, and now they're a beaten race engaging in self-genocide.
>>
File: 1503129387097.jpg (61KB, 1024x418px) Image search: [Google]
1503129387097.jpg
61KB, 1024x418px
>>94910289
>horseshoe theory
>qt
>thinks with his dick

Behold the voting public, the main reason why democratic societies fail.
>>
>>94910555
>What if you...got upset over things that had actually happened to you in your lifetime instead of getting upset about things that happened to your great grandparents, you pathetic fucking faggot?
You mean like "muh white genocide"?
>>
>>94910666
And? It's a new age. We don't need to keep honoring them.
>>
>>94910550
I hear that. It's annoying here in my state of NY to have upstate hillbillies making laws that effect us in NYC - and the people upstate feel the exact same way about City liberals making laws that effect them.

To try an enact that on a continent wide scale in Europe, after 2000 years of warfare and hatred, is absurd.

Though the real result of the EU seems to have been to empower bureaucrats, not politicians.

>>94910568
>Not to mention the upfront cost of buying one.

True. And the come voluntarily, paying for the privilege. The endless waves of Irish in the 1860s, or Mexicans now, are so much more easily managed then slave trade.

>>94910581
Exactly.
How else do you explain how most SJWs are trust fund kiddies? Why do you think that most older SJWs were right-wingers supporting Dubya Bush and his wars 10 years ago?

(Well, there's also the aspect of them being bullies, and adopting which ever political ideas are trendy and allow them to tell other people what to do and how to think.)

>>94910596
Republicans are far better (and hence much worse) at gerrymandering than Democrats, but that effects Congress and statehouses, not the Presidency.

It's the Democrats inability to kick the Clinton wing to the curb, and their takeover by the Regressive Left, that's guaranteeing two terms of Trump.

>>94910608
Depends where. If locals really are opposed to removal, look for a lot of state-level politicians getting replaced in next year's elections.

>>94910624
Agreed. It's well known that Lee was against succession and not that big on slavery, but he sided with his state over his country.
>>
>>94910580
Lee took up command for the Confederacy because he respected that secession was the will of the people of his state. He opposed seceding from the Union himself. You people know zero fucking history.
>>
>>94910648
I'm only about 20% white.
Like many African Americans I'm not any one thing genetically, which is why all the talk about the perils of race mixing from both sides of the aisle kind of seems silly.
>>
>>94910666
Yes and since he was pardoned we must all agree that Nixon was the best president ever and did nothing wrong ever but seemed to resign for literally no reason at all, considering he literally did nothing wrong

is that really the best argument you have? Semantic garbage based on pardon nearly 100 years later

Either your retarded or just wasting my time with arguments you know are completely false you just hope no notices because you know you can't actually justify your view points with real arguments
>>
>>94910638
And who decides on the material for those competency tests? Who decides who qualifies? And how do the people who these competency tests disenfranchise go about making their concerns known? Poll tests were banned for a reason.

I'm working on a PhD in physics, but I would never be so elitist as to suggest anyone with less than a college education in science shouldn't be allowed to discuss scientific discoveries and issues, that'd be retarded. We learn more and gain insight through discussion and discourse, the exchange of ideas, putting our understanding and knowledge into the forum to agreed with or disagreed with, co-opted or corrected.
>>
>>94910719
how does that make him less of a traitor to the Union?

I think you don't understand what the word traitor means or how it works

His motives don't somehow change the treasonous nature of his actions

That's like claims your not a murderer because you were paid to do it
>>
>>94910624
this
>>
>>94910729
Nixon wasn't a traitor.

Reagan was.
>>
>>94910707
> Forgetting history literally less than 200 years old
Cultureless swines deserve to be dunked in the ocean.
>>
>>94910764
Would leading the assault against his homeland be any less treasonous?
>>
>>94910688
>Misunderstanding horseshoe theory this hard
All it says is that the more extreme you get at either end of the political spectrum the more you have in common with extremists at the other end. Because y'know, you're both extremists. It's hard to see how anyone who isn't an extremist could argue with the fact that extremists are all bad and what kind of extremist they are doesn't matter.
>>
>>94910744
honest for a voter competency test, I would just reuse the citizenship test

If you can't pass the citizenship test, or perhaps a shortened version of it, then you aren't allowed to vote

also while discussing science is one thing, I feel like someone should have some knowledge, when discussing space and satelite policy do you think we should include or exclude opinions of people who believe the world is flat? Because there is a point where someone is so uneducated or so refuses to listen to fact that their opinion is literally useless.

Sadly this happens more often with history since people get taught simplified narratives often used to make some type of point rather than truth
>>
>>94910688
>communists are fascist
This is a factual statement.
>>
>>94908791
>What absolute horseshit. One of the first things people do when they win a war is destroy the remaining iconography of the loser. This is how every human society works, look at all the statues pulled down in the wake of any social revolution.

You just proved the dudes point; destroying statues erases history.
>>
>>94910638
>but what do I know, I'm an educated elite, I favor voter competency tests as well, god forbid we demanded people know how to think people before listen to their input on important issues

A basic, simple civics test like the citizenship test should be enough. People should at least understand the Bill of Rights before being given the vote.

>>94910649
>Richard Stockton

Huh, I only knew of the guy because there's a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike named after him. a Google News search filled me in.

Disturbing what happened yesterday. On the bright side:
>The removal of the bust is temporary, and will return with an exhibit that is being developed that will show a more historical perspective and one that will allow meaningful dialog about Richard Stockton as a controversial figure.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/top_three/stockton-university-removes-bust-of-slave-owner-richard-stockton/article_7484510c-1162-5f52-ab34-3940bf4dc6a9.html

Which is exactly what I'd favor - but them removing the statue instead of leaving it until they get an exhibit together is a very very bad sign.

>>94910660
I agree. I'm all for punching Nazis back (if they had lynched that asshole in the Dodge Charger I would have cheered) but instigating violence is both giving up the moral high ground and also damaging your side's chances of winning the culture war.

That's not even mentioning the numerous people who've been harassed or outright assaulted because someone else assumed they were a Nazi from how they've dressed.

>>94910668
Scary point.
>>
>>94910790
he would be a traitor to Virginia yes

but that's not the question, the question is, is he a traitor to the United States of America?

and the answer is so hard a yes its not debatable

now if you still wanna call a traitor your hero that is fine, I mean Washington is a traitor to Great Britain but we still call him a hero

but of course since we live in the United States, assuming you do, its a little weird to have literally one of the greatest national traitors as your hero
>>
File: 1503708107178.png (510KB, 737x686px) Image search: [Google]
1503708107178.png
510KB, 737x686px
>>94910629
>>
>>94910817
As a scientist, part of my job is public outreach and advocacy. If I can't explain the importance of a discovery to a member of the public, or the importance of a reforming a scientific policy to a politician, it's on me for not doing a good enough job engaging and convincing them.

Same thing with political or historical debate - it's not on everyone else to be at your level, it's on you to make a convincing argument at their level.
>>
>>94910867
I actually DID hear about that, funny you should mention.

But the ramifications were lost on me at the time because, honestly, I'm not sure who that is.

Give me a quick rundown.
>>
>>94908715
Nobody knew the truth besides Lisa and that other guy, modern Lisa wouldn't let that shit fly.
>>
File: not this homeworld shit again.png (63KB, 389x299px) Image search: [Google]
not this homeworld shit again.png
63KB, 389x299px
>Islamic terrorists are out there killing and raping people as well as keeping sex slaves
>retards think that a tiny bunch of white supremacist inbreds are the real problem
>>
>>94907247
He was trying to be facetious.
>>
>>94910864
> Traitor
Dude was fucked either way. Life sucks sometimes, and in the end he defended his home. That's more than can be said for most of this thread.
>>
>>94910890
>>94910867
Never mind. The information is pretty blatant.

How this guy got to be sheriff should be frightening. Probably the most telling was that he lead the investigation into Obama's birth certificate.
>>
>>94910908
White supremacists have killed more people in the US than "islamic terrorists" have since 9/11
>>
>>94910821
They're both authoritative, but are otherwise dissimilar.
>>
>>94910881
I mean that's fair

but it kinda feels a little hopeless anymore, people live in information bubbles and prefer to here comfortable lies to difficult or inconvenient truths

seriously try convincing someone that the Confederate Statues do represent a racist legacy, or tell a leftist that fascism isn't some type of inherent evil. They literally just won't listen, its a non-starter, they won't hear what they don't want to, they like their own black and white simplified narratives of history far too much
>>
>>94910719
no u

Lee truly believed that blacks were incapable of independent thought or action and that slavery was a blessing for them. He also was a cruel shithead who made a habit of not only torturing his slaves but also breaking up slave families on his estate to twist the knife harder. Fucking of course that asshole was going to fight for the Confederacy.

And he wasn't honorable on the battlefield either. His lieutenants would brutally torture captured Union soldiers while he turned a blind eye. When his forces captured regiments of black soldiers, he refused to recognize them as prisoners of war and sold them into slavery.

Robert E. Lee's legacy has been whitewashed as fuck by groups like the Daughters of the Confederacy and other Lost Cause revisionists. He was every bit the cruel, petty asshole his worshippers are today.
>>
>>94908715
Well, Springfield is in a northern state that has the confederate flag as part of their state flag.
>>
>>94907247
Not if the statue supports Nazi's and their ideals.
>>
File: series of tubes.jpg (22KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
series of tubes.jpg
22KB, 270x270px
>>94910744
Just use the current Citizen Test immigrants have to pass.

Though you're right, it would probably be illegal without a Constitutional Amendment. And way too open to fuckery down the line when a new test is drawn up.

>I'm working on a PhD in physics, but I would never be so elitist as to suggest anyone with less than a college education in science shouldn't be allowed to discuss scientific discoveries and issues, that'd be retarded

True, but wouldn't it be nice if there were more scientists in elected office? Discussing is one thing, but people who make policy should have a clue about the subject, no? Far too often the politicians who vote on the issues have little understanding of the science and technology they're making decisions about - pic related.

>>94910688
>>94910801
Exactly. Basically, Horseshoe theory states that even as their political viewpoints get more divergent and extreme, their tactics get more and more similar.

>>94910867
That's what happened yesterday? That's gonna gain Trump votes, not lose them - assuming voters still remember it in 3 years.

>>94910908
I can't at all understand the SJW mentality of supporting Islamic Fundamentalists and apologizing for Islamic terrorism when they're religious fundies who oppose everything SJWs claim they stand for.

>>94910931
>How this guy got to be sheriff should be frightening.

Via democratic elections? Voters in his county love what he's doing; he doesn't have power outside of it.

>>94910941
And worldwide?

>>94910958
>or tell a leftist that fascism isn't some type of inherent evil.

It is tho. All authoritarian governments are inherently evil.
>>
>>94910926
yeah Robert E Lee is a perfectly respectable guy

but no one fighting over the statues actually respects or cares about the real man, if they did they would have followed his wishes and not made statues of him

The statue is a symbol, and honestly debating the literal man completely misses what the actual debate is about
>>
>>94910941
Why don't you add europe to the equation?
>>
>>94910954
Communism necessitates the abolition of the citizens's right to private property for its redistribution of wealth by the state while the state retains that right. Fundamentally, a communist system must oppress the rights of the individual and cede none of its own.
It literally states its express purpose of the need of the state above that of the individual.

That cannot be more fascist.
>>
>>94909162
These dirty commies are just fighting shadows, aside from Charlottesville, they've been fighting imaginary facists and Nazis because it tickles their little socialist balls. They puncha nd assault people not because they are under threat, but because they are violent people, who can only ever feel good about themselves when they're beating someone they disagree with.
>>
>>94910864
We're not talking about a war of independence, like the Revolution, or a war of liberation, like WWII. A civil war is a different matter - especially one where we, as a nation, ultimately came back together afterward. It's important that the heroes, losses, and sacrifices of both sides be memorialized, otherwise you fail to learn from the same attitudes that helped incite the Civil War in the first place.

Lee was a traitor to the Union, but that doesn't make him any less of a hero to the states he fought to defend, and it shouldn't invalidate a career of selfless service to the Union before the war. If the President saw fit to pardon him, and many of the generals opposed to him in the war saw fit to praise him as a decent and honorable man, who are we a century and a half later to pass judgement and demand that his memory be sanitized?
>>
>>94910978
>All authoritarian governments are inherently evil

oh god, you bought into the cult of democracy

honestly there is likely no belief dumber taught by the American education system than the cult of democracy, the belief that democracy is the best current, possible and conceivable government type and that all others are primitive and/or evil

we don't even have a good democracy, we have a shitty one that is hundreds of years old and in desperate need of reform but since politicians like their jobs changes the government's structure is basically a non-starter
>>
>>94911013
You just repeated what I said, while also making clear that you believe all you need to be fascist is to be authoritarian.

Spoiler, it needs more stuff.
>>
>>94910978
Dear God how does someone get to this level of delusional
>>
>>94910978
>wouldn't it be nice if there were more scientists in elected office?
No. As a scientist I can tell you first-hand, literally nothing about my education or experience has in any way made me prepared or qualified for a career in politics and lawmaking. I'm a scientist, I should be doing science, not debating social policies in Congress. If I want to educate the public, I do outreach. If I want to help a politician make an informed decision, I do advocacy. I don't abandon my own field and expertise.
>>
>>94911069

So communism is state control of economic and social life.

With a very strong leader. With no disagreement of political expression allowed.

Is that right?
>>
>>94911105
>>94911069
Sorry, meant to say powerful leader, not necessarily strong, though in this context there's somewhat synonymous.
>>
>>94909422
Nah man, we're pretty tough. We've made it through a lot worse, we'll get to 300 no problemo. When 2076 rolls around, call me up, we'll go out and celebrate!
>>
>>94911094
Idiots like you try real hard to ruin their way of life.
>>
>>94911061
Give us a modern example of a good authoritarian government. Even the most competent are still dripping with the blood of their own murdered citizens.

>>94911094
Wanna be more specific, or are you just lazily trolling?

>>94911096
Fair point. Most scientists aren't cut out to be politicians, just like most invetors don't turn out to be great businessmen.
But we can't keep leaving politics in the hands of lawyers. We need more people with a science background in our statehouses and Congress. The same skills that let certain people master internal politics and rise to the top of their departments can be applied to local and national politics too.
>>
>>94911038
>somebody with an actual understanding of the situation who isn't a rabid ideologue
Thank you.

What's even worse is that the monument vandals managed to actually illegally pull down in NC was to the Confederate soldiers. The SOLDIERS. Not political leaders, not generals, just the regular fuckers who were fighting and dying for their home states just like the northern soldiers, the vast majority of whom weren't involved in slavery in any way.
>>
File: 1503705619092.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1503705619092.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>94910773
In the Marvel Universe he was.
>>
>>94911261
how recent do you consider modern?

also is killing your own rebellious citizens somehow worse than going into other nations violating their sovereignty and killing their citizens?
>>
I grew up in the south, I really don't feel very strongly about confederate flags or statues, especially in government spaces (I can see why they shouldn't be there, at the same time that's always been sort of a historical space for all kinds of monuments, murals, etc.)

But if you make an argument as to why they should be taken down, you open the floodgates for all kinds of other things. Washington owned slaves, Jefferson even impregnated one. Benedict Arnold has several monuments across the nation (ironically many don't name him due to his reputation.) Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton both betrayed the nation in different ways and both have statues in South Dakota.

It really feels like bored wannabe activists with very few legitimate social issues to fight trying to create them. Of course, not at the cost of their personal time, well being, money, etc. MLK and his supporters would sit in, get sprayed with hoses, attacked by dogs, and it worked. Today's wannabe activists scream at designated protest times, tear down shit they don't like, and then cry about being arrested.
>>
>>94911207
If I'm still alive I'd be happy to join you anon. I don't want to see the USA like this but it's just becoming obvious the people are too divided and different to all exist under the same system. The country will have to split or it will become tyranny for half its population, and personally I think the former is the preferable solution.
>>
>>94908818
>he happily generalized and fantasised
No. The successful ones ran it like a business (sometime with government sanction and support) or were incredibly sadistic and tribalistic.
You're a fucking idiot, basically.
>>
>>94911337
>then cry about being arrested.
nah that's the goosesteppers
>>
>>94910881
https://youtu.be/Q8NydsXl32s
>>
>>94911370
> the country will have to split
Good, good american fat man. That's exactly what the commies want you to do.
>>
>>94911447
Nah it's both. That fat black woman who threw the strap on that one statue was blubbering.
>>
>>94911337
The founding fathers are honored for their role in birthing the United States.

Civil War generals are not honored for great discoveries or advancements in science or society, for inspiring works, or for sacrificing something for America. They are honored for committing an act of treason at best. Trying to secede is an act of treason. America is so self-masturbatory that even traitors get statues honoring them.

>MLK and his supporters would sit in, get sprayed with hoses, attacked by dogs, and it worked.

It didn't work until MLK got shot.
>>
>>94911501
I'm surprised they haven't killed themselves.
>>
>>94911299
>how recent do you consider modern?

Let's say post-WWII.

>also is killing your own rebellious citizens somehow worse than going into other nations violating their sovereignty and killing their citizens?

Absolutely. A leader has obligations to their people that they don't have to citizens of other nations.

>rebellious

One hallmark of authoritarian countries is that they consider minor non-crimes to be "rebellion".

>>94911337
>But if you make an argument as to why they should be taken down, you open the floodgates for all kinds of other things.

This guy gets it.

>>94911433
He's right, tho, that pirate crews didn't have slaves. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's an exception or two out there.)
>>
>>94911525
>>94911535
That's the point. They won't sacrifice more than an afternoon to protesting, you think they'd sacrifice their lives over it?
>>
>>94911274
>What's even worse is that the monument vandals managed to actually illegally pull down in NC was to the Confederate soldiers. The SOLDIERS. Not political leaders, not generals, just the regular fuckers who were fighting and dying for their home states just like the northern soldiers, the vast majority of whom weren't involved in slavery in any way.
That's completely wrong.
Sure those are the words on the statue.
But the statue was not built in their honor. The statue is not from the fucking era at all. It was made within the past century, and purposefully placed in black neighborhoods, as a scare tactic. A reminder that "the south will rise again".
There's a reason why this was all started by the town itself choosing to remove a Confederate statue. They never wanted that thing around. That thing was literally created to intimidate them.
>>
>>94911337
I'd say tat's simplistic reasoning since it's not simply the Confederates owned slaves but rather seceded from the Nation and waged a war against the North mostly to maintain their right to be slavers and a lot of the statues were erected simply as a fuck you to Blacks and a lesser extent Yankees.
But then you have shit like Antifas destroying Peace Statues and Joan of Arc
>>
>>94911337
please stop with the strawman argument about Washington

it misses the point so completely its offensive

They problem with the statues doesn't have to do with the literal people on the statues, after all if it did there wouldn't be statues of Robert E Lee considering he literally specifically asked not to be memorialized

most of those statues are only 100 or so years old and they come from a period that mythologized the Confederacy, they don't represent the actual Confederacy, they basically just represent the racist fantasies of the KKK and similar hate groups decades later
>>
>>94911261
>But we can't keep leaving politics in the hands of lawyers. We need more people with a science background in our statehouses and Congress.
Why? Nothing about my field qualifies me to draft foreign, domestic, or social policy, and I have no interest in doing so. I might be able to offer a different perspective, but I can do that much more effectively as an advocate or an adviser than as a politician working in an area I have no aptitude for.

People always talk about how great it would be if more scientists got into politics, but it's always with this very fanciful, mythical image of a 'scientist' in their heads, the kinds of 'scientists' you see on television shows or movies who are experts in a million different subjects. Those kinds of people just don't exist in reality, or at least not more than an extremely tiny handful.

You want to know what you get in a country that advocates more scientists and engineers in their political system? You get China - a country run by career bureaucrats with token science and engineering degrees.
>>
>>94909086
Violence is inherent to existence. You cannot exist with out being detrimental to someone else. Everything is competitive and relies on growth, dominance and extinguishing.
We're just doing what we always do and it's, as usual, is the best thing to do until such a time as we extinguish all of us without exception. There's little difference in starving someone to death and beating someone to death. You're still killing someone of your own volition.
>>
I enjoy how so many Americans defend the rights of people to self determination in the rest of the world, who are governed by regimes or subject to laws their government tells them are bad. But the right of individual US states to self determination is treason.
>>
>>94911105
>>94911140
Yes and no. Communism recognises what you described as a middle-step between revolution against the rich and true-free communism (compared to what you said, the final stage has less to none state control of social life and for several industries, its worker owned, not necessarily state owned, or at least worker-managed).
The party gives up the power once it decrees the revolution has no risk of falling back and needs no more supervision.

Spoiler alert, it doesn't happen, people like power.

Also, in theory, communism has no racism, ethnic purges, homophobia, etc.
Spoiler, it does/did in the past.
>>
>>94911583
>The statue doesn't mean what it says it means, but I know what it really means and what it really means is wrong and it has to be destroyed!
You're a moron.
>>
>>94909134
I agree. It's such a shame we haven't figured out how to preserve history any other way than statues though.
>>
>>94911571
so in like a 70 year period out of 5000 years of human history can I find an authoritarian government that is good?

That's a stupidly small window but fine, post-Stalinist Soviet Union. Post Mao China. Singapore. There are also plenty of benign to benevolent dictators in Africa, South America, Asia and the Bulkans you just only hear about the ones who go on crazy and slaughter a bunch of people
>>
>>94907247
Actually, the moral of the story was about peer pressure and how lack of guidance can make children vulnerable to it (Homer literally said Bart that the most important thing is to be liked by the group and later he's reprimend by Marge). There's a little mocking to edgy kids saying edgy shit with Jimbo and his crew talking shit about how much they'd love to beheaded Jeremiah's head but they were just being edgy. Pretty similar to /pol/ if you ask me.
>>
>>94911666
AND YOU'RE THE DEVIL
But seriously there's such thing as subtext and lying, and I say that as someone who genuinely believes that there are Confederatefags who just think the flag is a Southern Pride thing.
>>
>>94911038
>We're not talking about a war of independence, like the Revolution
>implying the Revolution wasn't a glorified Civil War
The American "Civil War" was a secession, just like the American Revolution. The only difference was it failed.
>>
>>94911820
EXACTLY
>>
>>94910941
Including 9/11?
>>
>>94911585
But it's not a strawman arguement, people IRL are calling for the removal of statues of Founding Fathers because they were slave owners. Look at the article about Richard Stockton earlier in the thread.

Hell, right here in NYC, the head of the City Council (who just a few months ago honored a Puetro Rican terrorist with the blood of New Yorkers on his hands) is now calling for the removal of the statue of Columbus from Columbus Circle.

It's a very scary slippery slope.

>>94911592
>Why? Nothing about my field qualifies me to draft foreign, domestic, or social policy, and I have no interest in doing so. I might be able to offer a different perspective, but I can do that much more effectively as an advocate or an adviser than as a politician working in an area I have no aptitude for.

What qualifies a lawyer (the most common previous profession in politics) from making decisions about foreign, domestic, or social politics themselves?
We need a mix of disciplines in statehouses and Congress (yes, I'm calling for diversity, this is one area where it's really really justified), and that includes scientists from all disciplines.

For that matter, since the Civil War is the main area of discussion here, it's worth remembering that many of the great generals, like Lee and Meade, were trained engineers.

>>94911672
>so in like a 70 year period out of 5000 years of human history can I find an authoritarian government that is good?

Well yeah, we're talking about the modern world.

>post-Stalinist Soviet Union. Post Mao China.

Both shit. I'm amazed you say otherwise.

>Singapore

Good point. I wouldn't want to live there, but it's well run, and doesn't execute that many people.

>There are also plenty of benign to benevolent dictators

Name some? King Abdullah of Jordan comes to mind, but he doesn't have that much power, and much of the rest of the government is a democracy.

Still, wouldn't want to live there.
>>
>>94907247
I'm genuinely fearful about the memorials to my own town's founder in light of all the historical sanitizing going around.

He was a decent person who made a lot of personal sacrifices to help turn a ramshackle trading post into a small, but burgeoning community, but all it would potentially take is a handful of very angry, very vocal agitators to make a fuss about his role in a few border skirmishes with natives to get his gravesite demolished and his statues torn down.
>>
>>94911585
>Getting offended by facts

Sounds like the left alright. The real point is you have no right to tear them down based on what you think they represent vs. what other people think they do. Someone could easily make that argument that Washington owned slaved and should not be honored. Jefferson raped a slave and he has a statue in Washington D.C. akin to Lincoln.
>>
>>94910989
Why do they need to be in the equation?
>>
>>94911866
To be fair Columbus a shit.
>>
>>94911866
why do we have a statue of Columbus, the man was an idiot. Literally the only good thing about him was that he was a decent sailor, although there were far more impressive and important ones historically.

Like he ended up coming to America because he was too stupid to properly calculate the size of the Earth like everyone else had and claimed it was smaller than everyone else thought when everyone else was right and he was completely wrong, he is literally the luckiest idiot in history and that is really saying something considering history is filled with lucky idiots
>>
>>94911908
>doesn't understand what the word fact means

yup sounds like a typical /pol/tard to me
>>
>>94911866
Tito, especially when you see what happened after his death, things were way better with him in charge.
>>
>>94911975
how was that Tito was like the one dictator in the Eastern Block smart enough to say, you know what I should really stay away from this Stalin guy and keep him out of my country?
>>
>>94911908
Why are the "other people" more valid?
>>
>>94911871
Who is he? Let's learn some history

>>94911937
>>94911941
>why do we have a statue of Columbus, the man was an idiot.

The same reason we have Columbus day as a holiday. It makes Italian-Americans feel represented.

They're the ones vocally opposing the Council Chair's newfound crusade to tear down statues.

>>94911975
Better than other dictators doesn't equal good. I'd throw Franco on that list too, he did a lot of positive things for his country, but he also murdered lots of innocents and made life miserable for many.
>>
>>94911963
>buzzwords
not an argument
yup
a brainless lefty fuck at it best
get a brain then come back
>>
>>94911963
>Doesn't give any argument.
>Resorts to insults.
>Types in all lowercase with no punctuation.

Sounds like typical hurt feelings to me. Thanks for the W, I'll put it with the others. And again, your hurt feelings over what you think a statue means doesn't count as an argument as to why it should be removed.
>>
>>94911866
>What qualifies a lawyer for a role in lawmaking.
Extensive familiarity with the law, for a start.

I'm not saying people from different disciplines can't or shouldn't ever expand their interests, but there's a world of difference between a *military* engineer who expanded his expertise to include command and tactics and rose through the ranks by merit and service to become a commanding officer, and a physicist or a surgeon or an engineer with no legal experience running for political office.

Expanding your expertise to other fields, especially unrelated ones, requires extensive study and experience. Lawyers spend years studying the intricacies of American legal procedure, precedent, and ethics, and even then it takes years of practical experience to become proficient.
>>
>>94911908
>Jefferson raped a slave
There's no way to verify if it was consensual or not. Claiming to know one way or another is just presumption, and agenda driven.

>>94912005
It's not like the other Eastern Euro countries had a choice but to be puppet regimes, the USSR occupied them during WWII.
>>
>>94912005
He was a very savvy leader, he used the relative poorness of the territory to convince outsiders that it wouldn't be worth their while invading and that if he left the whole area would disintegrate. Right on both accounts.
>>
>>94909756
>historical revisionism
You guys keep trying to use the argument that the statue defacers are trying to prevent people from remembering history when they're specifically bringing up what these statues represent, and it's always conservatives trying to say that past oppression doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with trying to forget, and everything to do with what message we send and who we venerate as a society.

Have you ever looked at when these statues were built? Many of them were post-reconstructionist works from when the South felt like it could get away with celebrating their traitors as heroes. The statues themselves are revisionist.
>>
>>94912031
Read up on Tito and you'll see he stacks up really well as leaders of nations go, dictator or not.
>>
>>94912080
I think by modern thinking to have sex with a person you own is rape by default because presumably they can't say no, even if this isn't necessarily the case.
>>
>>94911941
Agreeing w/ you, but wanna correct one small point: astronomers and other scientists even before that era had already predicted the circumference of the earth with remarkable accuracy. Most European powers just didn't know there was an entire fucking continent in the ocean between them and Asia.

Maybe they should've asked the Icelanders...
>>
>>94912080
>There's no way to verify if it was consensual or not. Claiming to know one way or another is just presumption, and agenda driven.

Indeed, but you see, you just described how the left interprets these things. Under their modern day definitions, where some believe even if you regret it the next day it was rape, it was most certainly rape. She was a slave and he literally owned her, so even if she actually wanted to do it, or even jumped his bones, there's no way she was free enough to make that decision.

That's the problem with these extreme leftist ideologies, eventually they contradict each other to extreme degrees.
>>
>>94912154
yeah, they thought it was just a huge ocean, which is why they thought going that way was stupid as fuck

Colombus didn't think there was an extra continent he just thought the ocean was smaller than everyone else did
>>
When will Trump build the thunderdome so we can lock antifa and neo-nazis inside to kill each other while we all do something productive?
>>
File: julien dubuque.png (53KB, 220x285px) Image search: [Google]
julien dubuque.png
53KB, 220x285px
>>94911871
I know that feeling, my city's founder was a trader and miner, and despite famously amicable relations with the Meskwaki indians from whom he negotiated permission to mine the lead in the area, there's no shortage of angry liberals who are convinced that our town's history is revisionist and that he really cheated and conned the natives out of their land.

His memorial has been vandalized a few times over the last decade - nothing as serious or as damaging as what we're seeing in the South, but that could change if these events set a precedent for the forceful or even destructive removal of monuments.
>>
>>94910908
>Islamic terrorists are out there killing and raping people as well as keeping sex slaves

>being afraid of brown people thousands of miles away from you and your tendies

Why do you people buy into this bullshit.
>>
>>94912231
sadly that would be far too productive of an activity for Trump to engage in

gotta go golfing and hold pity parties where all his voters tell him they still like him no matter how much other people hate him
>>
>>94910719
i thought he was asked by both sides and decided through a coin toss. I can't find anything on it other than an alternate history wiki saying "coin toss universe" so I assume it was a urban legend.
>>
>>94909763
no
>>
>>94912251
Because they want to come here and do the same thing. And his point was less about that and more about how the left defends them despite being everything they allegedly hate, whilst going into hysteria about a group of people no bigger than the average street gang (not that left doesn't defend them too, saying the system made them become killers and dope pushers.)
>>
>>94912056
>I'm not saying people from different disciplines can't or shouldn't ever expand their interests, but there's a world of difference between a *military* engineer who expanded his expertise to include command and tactics and rose through the ranks by merit and service to become a commanding officer, and a physicist or a surgeon or an engineer with no legal experience running for political office.

My point is, you don't need to have legal experience to run for office and be good at it. The important thing is that you start locally, gain experience, and work your way up. Not even with elected office, but with being a community activist. Ron Paul, for example, is a doctor, and so is his son, and they're some of the best politicians in the country.

(Going to the top with zero political experience gives us disasters like the new President.)

>>94912141
Please suggest a good book or website to start with.
>>
>>94912080
>There's no way to verify if it was consensual
When you consent, you're giving someone permission to do something. She had no such power with him as her legal owner. I think what you're referring to is "Did she say no. Did she struggle" And it's most likely the answer is no. But when struggling or saying no can get you hurt, and you let something happen to prevent that, that's not really consent.

Maybe what you're saying is that she fell for him, and she came to him and wanted his dick, but if so, I don't think you understand how the world worked in that time.
>>
>>94912251
I don't want a bunch of Muslims to come to my country and throw acid in peoples faces.
>>
>>94912333
For a short overview
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Josip-Broz-Tito

For more detail
https://www.amazon.com/Tito-Biography-Communist-Geoffrey-Swain/dp/1845117271

Main takeaway is that he was able to keep the bloc together, prevented Nazi invasion and direct Russian intervention during the Cold War.
>>
The moral of the story is
Hypocrisy under the guise of "progressiveness" destroys people and Civilizations
>>
>>94912409
and your gonna let that fear determine your entire world view?
>>
>>94912468
It's generally a good way to prevent harm, especially if it's well warranted.
>>
>>94912251
I'm a britbong(and a liberal fag at that), you haven't seen the shit that went on in London, Manchester and Rotherham?
>>
>>94912400
>Maybe what you're saying is that she fell for him, and she came to him and wanted his dick, but if so, I don't think you understand how the world worked in that time.
I'm not saying anything one way or another, because I don't know. The only people who knew that for certain are Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, and I don't think it's right for anyone else to presume for political purposes.

I'm sure there were slave owners who raped their slaves. But I'm sure there were also slaves who fell for their owners and vice versa. The heart wants what it wants, when you're dealing with love and/or sex rationality often goes out of the window.
>>
>>94912492
its not well warranted you are far more likely to be harmed by car accident than Islamic Terrorism

or do you refuse to operate, enter or generally be anywhere near a car too?
>>
>>94912579
Cars provide a necessary service though, Muslims don't.
>>
>>94912607
yeah, they are also not unfeeling machines, they're people
>>
>>94912579
I live in Canada and Trudeau is already fucking up everything for everyone, I'd gladly be mad about shitty preventable car accidents then a bunch of immigrants forcing their beliefs on random innocent people with violence.

I don't live in fear for this shit, I want people to realize unmitigated immigration is fucking retarded and is letting in the lowlives.
>>
>>94912741
Those feelings are sorta what's causing the problem.
>>
>>94912741
So are their victims.
>>
>>94907247
I haven't been so upset by an act of vandalism since those thugs tore down the Berlin Wall.
>>
>>94909330
>That's literally what the confederacy did. They didn't like the new rules of the land so they left.

No, the Confederacy didn't leave. They stayed and tried to steal American land. The country would have been better off if they had just left.
>>
>>94912801
so in order to save like 5 Americans you condemn thousands of innocent Muslims to die in Syria instead and then send hundreds of Americans soldiers to die fighting in Syria as well

yeah sounds like a perfectly good plan to get more people killed and help a few spineless babies sleep at night
>>
>>94909320
>When and why did Robert E Lee get so fucking popular

When was the 1920s. The why was because of a massive surge in the KKK and attacks on black civil rights. It came with a wave of historical revisionism about how noble the South was and it wasn't really about Slavery and the South did nothing wrong and the South shall rise again. These statues weren't about public honor but were effectively just big public burning crosses. It was a way for dumb white trash to show how big fans they were for the Confederacy fandom. They were basically the bronies of the twenties. As for Robert E. Lee, he had died fifty years earlier, and had been against such memorials.
>>
>>94912861
>Like 5
Well considerably more, and maybe I don't want to send soldiers?
Really sounds like a fantastic plan to me. Better than importing terrorism at the very least.
>>
>>94912861
I'm not a fucking murican, I'm a britbong.
>Concert bombing in Manchester
>Mass stabbing and acid attacks in London
>The rape gang fiasco that happened in Rotherham and god knows where else
Fuck islam.
>>
>>94907247
>9 hours
>And only like 5 posts are /co/ related
>>
File: WW2Confederateflag.jpg (72KB, 490x665px) Image search: [Google]
WW2Confederateflag.jpg
72KB, 490x665px
>>94909394
Different Anon, but I can get you images from WWII, Korea, and 'Nam. It's nothing new.
>>
>>94909781
>Only a nazi would defend nazis by saying that violence isn't the right political course of action!

There are people who literally believe this.
>>
>>94910289
Tbh the only group of people I'm not attracted to are Australian Aborigines. Seriously not one attractive female I've seen. YET.
>>
>>94912854
No love for the Confederacy, but succession isn't "stealing land". Treason, sure, but not theft.

>>94913006
I think part of the problem in England is that the police and government don't do anything about criminals for fear of seeming racist. Rotherham being an example.

This isn't the case in the US yet, but SJWs are doing their best to change that.

>>94913555
And they're taking over the left, which is why we're horrified.
>>
>>94909330
>They didn't like the new rules of the land so they left.
They stayed exactly where they were and said "You leave" to anyone representing the US government that still had a legal right to be where they were. Then when they didn't like that their demands weren't being met, and they felt a US base was a threat to them, they attacked.
>>
File: kkkcap.jpg (106KB, 792x919px) Image search: [Google]
kkkcap.jpg
106KB, 792x919px
>>94907247
false.

the allied forces destroyed nazi iconography when nazi germany was invaded.

white supremacists are white supremacists, regardless if they're "ours" or "theirs"

take that shit down. Robert E. Lee straight up said fold up the confederate flag and put it away. it can be assumed that he feels the same way about statues, which, by the way, most of them were erected during periods of civil rights struggles. higher numbers of cheaply made statues were put up when jim crow laws were being enacted and many of them were put up during the civil rights movement in the middle of the 20th century
>>
>>94907533
Did people complain about the Jebediah retcon as much as with the Skinner one?
>>
File: louiejournalist.jpg (24KB, 495x346px) Image search: [Google]
louiejournalist.jpg
24KB, 495x346px
>>94908742
>>94907247

a statue of King George III was taken down in 1776. i guess that's why no one knows who won the revolutionary war, huh? all you people who think "history is being erased, i have bad news for you. there are these things called "books" and museums"
>>
File: falsedichotomy.jpg (45KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
falsedichotomy.jpg
45KB, 620x350px
>>94911597
>you cannot exist without being detrimental to someone else

read "Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution"
>>
>>94914002
Because that nigga wasn't embiggening anyone...in America
>>
>>94907247
I kinda wanted this to be a Simpsons morals thread. D'oh...
>>
>>94910500
>>94910289
Horseshoe theory doesn't exist you dipshit "radical centrists".
Now here is a REAL man's theory! Actually. Find any shape and I'll do my best to use my dumb ape ability to look for simple patterns and project simple explanation to a complex political spectrum on it!!
>>
>>94913990
Doubtful, as one was a background joke and the other a beloved major character.

>>94913969
Cool image, saved.

>>94914033
Kropotkin. Good call.

>>94914092
Do a mobius strip.
>>
>>94914002
The moral of the story is, y'snooze y'lose.
Taking down the statue immediately is Victory Dickwaving, Taking it down 80-100 years later is destroying a Historical Artifact.
>>
File: tradition.jpg (33KB, 294x390px) Image search: [Google]
tradition.jpg
33KB, 294x390px
>>94914126
>statues literally put up by racist sculptors have been up so long that now it's legitimate
>>
>>94914206
Well sorry those are the rules.
>>
File: clap.gif (845KB, 203x288px) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
845KB, 203x288px
>>94909062
that's pretty cool
>>
>>94914248
this is bait
>>
>>94914002
We still have them in England though (and statues of both Charles I and Oliver Cromwell) pretty fuckhuge ones too. I don't think anyone's suggesting the Union states should have to put up statues to Confederate leaders, but should they not be allowed statues of their own?

>>94913034
Is there /co/ media about the US Civil War? If there is please share, I'd be interested.
>>
>>94907247
>implying theres anything wrong with erasing and changing the bad parts of history
>>
>>94914399
There's an issue in that there are both local proponents for preservation AND removal as well as nonlocals that interfere as well.
>>
>>94914399
>should they not be allowed statues of their own

no. they shouldn't. germany doesn't have statues of hitler.

keep in mind your country still has a bullshit aristocracy. get rid of your aristocracy and take your monarch statues down. we all fucking know that monarchism leads to instability and violence. feudalism was bullshit
>>
>>94907533
That is correct. Murderous fraudsters get more of a pass.
>>
>>94914399
There is a Belgan comic called "Les Tuniques Bleues". 8 books have been translated so far under the name "The Bluecoats".
>>
>>94914448
>we all fucking know that monarchism leads to instability and violence
Right. Last time I looked we weren't the ones who had literal fascists and communists fighting in the streets.

Having a non-political head of state is actually a unifying and stabilising factor. It might be stupid and irrational but the vast majority of people like the traditions of the monarchy and the monarch and they represent Britain - In the USA what your country stands for changes every 4-8 years with the President, and that's only becoming more extreme as the left and right move further apart and stop listening to each other.
>>
>>94908791
>But the Confederate shit has to be treated with kid gloves and we have pretend there' some worthwhile reason to keep them around.

Yes. The objective was to restore the Union as a complete country. It's why Carter pardoned confederate leaders even back in the 1970's.

It's why confederate veterans graves count exactly the same as US millitary veterans. I supppose we could do like others and dig them up, and throw them into the sea, as was done sometimes in history.
>>
File: Haunted_Tank_1_1600x1200-919463.jpg (513KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Haunted_Tank_1_1600x1200-919463.jpg
513KB, 1600x1200px
>>94913034
>>94914399
There's this: http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Captain-Confederacy-1991

There's also pic related, tho it mostly takes place during the first Gulf War.

You can find collections of "Our Army at War", which has stories from all of America's wars, including the Civil War. Usually told from the Union side, but not always.
>>
>>94914061
I'd have preferred a Sneed and Feed memefest to this nonsense.
>>
>>94914658
Vaguely related is Johan Hex, who was a confederate soldier, although his past isn't as important as that he's just a mean violent motherfucker.
>>
File: lyingcat.jpg (31KB, 530x416px) Image search: [Google]
lyingcat.jpg
31KB, 530x416px
>>94914509
>we weren't the ones who had literal fascists and communists fighting in the streets

lol maybe people like the romanovs shouldn't have held back technological improvements, huh?

>monarchs are non-political
>>
>>94910941
>>94911853
>Including 9/11?
No.

It also doesn't include the Pulse shooting.
>>
>>94907247
What if the statues were of Nazis?
>>
>>94907247
That was a good episode, from what I remember. I don't think I've seen it since it aired. It was no Monorail or You Only Move Twice, but it was a good one. On a side note, I'm surprised no one in this thread ate a 3 day ban for talking too much politics. Tsk tsk.
>>
>>94908791
The Confederacy was American. It is part of us. Remember it.
>>
>>94914803
>lol maybe people like the romanovs shouldn't have held back technological improvements, huh?
I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. Parliament has held supremacy over the monarchy in Britain since the Bill of Rights of 1689, we're not an absolute monarchy and haven't been since the Magna Carta was signed in 1215. We LED the Industrial Revolution, the British and Russian monarchies and societies in the 19th Century were nothing alike.

Any yes, the monarch is bound to being above politics. If they expressed any opinions that could sway the electorate Parliament has the power to remove them.
>>
>>94914834
How convinient for you
I guess terrorism has drastically decreased since the lasta terrorist attack too
>>
The confederates were traitors, and butchers shouldn't be honored for doing one or two good things. Men of unambiguous peace should be the ones getting propped up. Demolish all the statues I say.
>>
The Simpsons should have ended more than a decade ago.
>>
>>94914206
Provided that you have absolutely no idea how the future will judge your actions you would be wise to try and see history through a historic view instead of expecting people during the civil war to use Google to educate themselves
>>
>>94916196
kek
>>
>>94908791
What reason is there to not keep them around?
Who fucking cares what the victors do in war?
It was a civil war not an international one.
>>
>>94916007
The only traitorous one was lincoln who decided to violate state rights.
The founding fathers should have just abolished slavery in the constitution like they intended to.
>>
>>94910167
So you be sayin'...
AYO HOL UP
So you be sayin'
That we...
That we WUZ
That we wuz KANGZ N SHIET, NIGGA?
>>
If it was one statue I wouldn't care, but it's not just one. It's tons of them, removed, destroyed or vandalized overnight. And it's not limited to Confederate shit; a monument to Columbus to smashed, a bust of Lincoln wrecked and a shitload more. Antifa and their affiliates are pushing, with the endorsement of the media, to remove reminders of American history from peoples' everyday lives. These people are communists, and this is how their revolution starts.

>>94916007
Find me one faultless historical figure. I'll wait.

Oh yeah and comic books man, how bout them comic books. Anybody know any fun American travel stories like Preacher?
>>
Good job, /co/. Once again you've proven we're better at discussing politics than /pol/.
>>
>>94916784
That's exactly why. It was a civil war, so even the losers were our countrymen.
>>
File: 1498075584078.png (708KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498075584078.png
708KB, 640x640px
>>94908791
>One of the first things people do when they win a war is destroy the remaining iconography of the loser. This is how every human society works, look at all the statues pulled down in the wake of any social revolution.
>2017
>Communists are tearing down American statues
Really made me think
>>
>>94915107
and yet the welfare whore with a crown continues to suck up your taxes for doing literally nothing
>>
>>94909431
argumentum ad populum
>>
>>94916900
>states rights

the declarations of secession of the confederate states cite white supremacy and slavery as reasons for going to war.
>>
>>94909431
What are the demographics of the voters I wonder? Completely serious by the way.
Thread posts: 514
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.