[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this the last good Marvel event? Just got the compilation,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: portrait_incredible.jpg (16KB, 216x324px) Image search: [Google]
portrait_incredible.jpg
16KB, 216x324px
Was this the last good Marvel event? Just got the compilation, it looms like they cut the comics to make it apl fot chronologically. How different would my reading experience be if I read the comics in order of release?
>>
The same
That was collection was all written by the same guy and in that order

Or, if you read all the tie ins, your experience would have a bunch of filler
>>
Infinity was the last decent Marvel event.

It might have been good if it wasn't split between the Builder War and Thanos plots. If you dropped Thanos and just went full Builder war, it would've worked a lot better.

You've really got to have been keeping up with Hickman's New Avengers, and to get that you really need to have read his Fantastic Four, and that all started in Dark Reign which was about 8 years ago.

Say what you want about Hickman, but he's not afraid of continuity or slow burns.
>>
>>94894681
how does FF and the new avengers set up infinity 8 years earlier?
>>
Infinity
Secret Wars
Secret Empire if it ends halfway decent.

All above average events.

Especially compared to garbage like IvX, Apocalypse War, and CWII
>>
Makes me wonder how much material from here they are gonna use for Infinity Wars. I think the guy who is playing Thanos said lots of stuff from Infinity Gaunlet #1 is gonna be in the movie.
>>
>>94894842
Apocalypse War wasn't an event, hell it was barely a crossover since the different tie-ins had nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>94894356
Axis if you like stupid dumb fun, it was the last event I read and enjoyed
>>
>>94894356
AXIS was better than Infinity, so no. I'd also say that Secret Wars was about on-par with Infinity and even if it wasn't, the tie-ins more than justified Secret Wars in a way that almost no other event has.
>>
>>94894796
He means 8 years from today, not 8 years from Infinity. And Infinity is 50% just a New Avengers arc that's pretending to be an event, while Fantastic Four set up a bunch of stuff for both Hickman's Avengers and his New Avengers, and since Infinity was 50% NA arc pretending to be an event and the other half an Avengers arc pretending to be an event, it should be pretty obvious.

There's a direct through-line there.
>>
>>94894842
Apocalypse War wasn't an event. It was just three completely unrelated arcs about Apocalypse. Otherwise, I agree with you.
>>
File: FantasticFour_611_TheGroup_005.jpg (557KB, 988x1495px) Image search: [Google]
FantasticFour_611_TheGroup_005.jpg
557KB, 988x1495px
>>94894796
Dark Reign set up the Council Of Reeds, which eventually leads to Mad Celestials. It was a prototype for the whole of the Time Runs Out storyline. Worlds ending, unavoidable death, God Doom. It's all there.

Time Runs Out is the reason the Builders attack in Infinity. The ending for Time Runs Out is Secret Wars. Secret Wars is also the finalé for the Fantastic Four run, where at the end of everything, it's Vic and Reed. It was always about those two.

Time Runs Out also directly refers to the cull of Dooms by the Council of Reeds.
>>
Secret Wars has been a good event.
>>
>>94895463
>Time Runs Out also directly refers to the cull of Dooms by the Council of Reeds.
RICHAAAARRRRDDDDSSSSSSS!!!
>>
The last more than Ok...maybe Annihilation Conquest or Secret Wars depending the tastes.
In this Order:
2006 Annihilation
2006 Civil War (minus de finale)
2007 Annihilation Conquest
2015 Secret Wars
2008 Secret Invasion
2007 War World Hulk
2013 Infinity
2010 Chaos War
2010 Siege
2011 Schism
2006 Civil War (including finale)
2012 Avengers vs X-men
2014 Axis
2017 Monsters Unleashed
2016 Inhuman vs X-men
2011 Fear Itself
2013 Age of Ultron
2009 War of Kings
2014 Original Sin
2017 Secret Empire
2016 Civil War II
2010 Shadowland
>>
>>94894681
The incursion storyline were too long and too slow, full of padding to make it longer than it need to be.
And I still dont get why they didnt use real celestials
>>
Infinity sucked.
>>
>>94895619
>Civil War second best
>Avengers vs. X-men better than AXIS
>Secret Empire third from the bottom
>War of Kings that low
>Age of Ultron not dead fucking last
Holy shit, I've seen plenty of bad taste but this might actually be the worst I've ever seen. Please remove yourself from the gene-pool because I weep for a world where taste this awful is allowed to propagate.
>>
>>94895619
>that taste
>that English
KEK
>>
>>94895619
Opinions are opinions but even then your list is objectively fucking horrible.
>Annihilation
>Annihilation: Conquest
>Secret Wars
>AXIS
>Infinity
>Secret Empire
>War of Kings
>Siege
>Chaos War
>Cataclysm
>House of M
>World War Hulk
>Clone Conspiracy
>Schism
>Monsters Unleashed
>Civil War
>Avengers vs. X-men
>Secret Invasion
>Fear Itself
>IvX
>Original Sin
>Civil War II
>Shadowland
>Age of Ultron
>Ultimatum

Included the events you left out. Didn't include any crossovers that lacked their own limited series beyond just bookends (hence not including Spider-verse or Spider-Island since they just ran through ASM but included Clone Conspiracy since it had its own dedicated event mini) and didn't do anything prior to House of M since that's what kinda kicked off the modern event comic structure.

Annihilation through War of Kings are great to good, Siege through Civil War are good-Jurgens to bad-Jurgens, and AvX through Ultimatum are bad to irredeemable dogshit.
>>
>>94896231
Was Schism even a full event? It had consequences, but it was just a couple of the mutant books affected, unless I've just blocked it all from my memory.
>>
I miss Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

It was sci-fi goodness.
>>
File: thumbs up 4.jpg (16KB, 423x272px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up 4.jpg
16KB, 423x272px
>>94896231
>>
>>94896231
come on, Civil War was great until Captain America surrender in the last part of the last issue.
>>
>>94895913
Secret Empire has been abysmal trash, and I have no doubt the ending will suck too
>>
>>94894920
Why would they use anything whatsoever from this? The movie is an adaptation of Infinity Gauntlet.
>>
>>94896435
The Black Order from Infinity is going to be in Avengers Infinity War.
>>
>>94894920
We know the Black Order is gonna be in it which is just fucking bizarre

Like I get that Thanos needs mooks for the Avengers to punch but there's much better characters to use
>>
>>94896419
I think the same and I am kind of perplex at how some people put secret empire so high in their list
>>
>>94896405
>Civil War was great
Fuck. You.
>>
>>94896498
like who?
>>
>>94896405
I will never forget Civil War and Millar for taking a massive shit all over the New Warriors.
>>
>>94896346
It actually felt like an internally consistent, planned cohesive story that fit in to the established continuity and didn't require all the characters to all develop brain cancer for the story to work.

Here's looking at you AvX.
>>
>>94896405
It was great if it was the first Marvel comic you've ever read. If it wasn't your first ever Marvel comic then you have no excuse for thinking Civil War was anything more than trash.
>>
>>94896231
Swap Civil War and Fear Itself and this is right on the money. I'd also remove Schism since I don't really consider it an event but that's just semantics.
>>
>>94896586
it was too slow
>>
>>94896589
>>
>>94896614
Oh definitely. Hickman's garbage at pacing a story. But that's part of his editor's job to manage, and we all know the Marvel editors are non-existent.
>>
>>94896640
Cringe.
>>
File: Illuminated Comics.jpg (757KB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
Illuminated Comics.jpg
757KB, 1200x1845px
>>94896586
I'm sorry what?
>>
>>94896435
>The movie is an adaptation of Infinity Gauntlet.
Yes, in the same way that Iron Man 3 was an adaptation of Extremis, Captain America 3 was an adaptation of Civil War, Ant-man was an adaptation of To Steal an Ant-man and Avengers 2 was an adaptation of Ultron Unlimited.

It'll draw some ideas, character names, and homage a scene or two but will otherwise be completely different.
>>
>>94896640
>Reed being amazed by Spider-man's skills
Like I said, great if its your first ever Marvel comic.
>>
>>94896725
They didn't want Ex Nihilo, they had no choice. Reality as a concept was ending.

The whole Cap/Tony thing was silly, but by the amount of times it's happened since Civil War it looks like it's being pushed on writers from on high.

The time travel arc was to just to pad the line out. It's a pacing problem as much as anything, but it's not like it didn't make sense for Kang to get involved.
>>
>>94896857
Because the Celestials wouldn't have worked in the story he was trying to tell? And that The Builders were being built up for the entirety of Avengers going into it. You don't have 14 issues devoted to building up an enemy just to have them not appear. Also it'd be pretty redundant to have him use the Celestials as the big bads in a comic after having just used the Celestials as the big bads in a comic the year prior.

That's like wondering why Siege used Sentry/void instead of Thanos.
>>
>>94896857
Celestial are kind of awkward.

You can get away with Cap hitting a Builder or an Aleph in the face and doing some damage, if it's Celestials 95% of your cast is just completely useless.
>>
File: Illuminated Comics 2.jpg (714KB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
Illuminated Comics 2.jpg
714KB, 1200x1845px
>>94896869
>Reality as a concept was ending.

No one knew that besides the Illuminati. Cap just took the word of a crazy Captain Universe to let this psychotic living weapon join them

Meanwhile the Illuminati were being retarded
>>
>>94896949
>>94896954
they killed a celestial in UA, I'm sure galactic alliance can do some damage to them, even living tribunal got killed.
>>
>>94897086
That Celestial also succesfully destroyed the Earth just by existing near it, and took the combined might of a full powered Sentry and Rogue will all of Earth's greatest powers to even slow down. I wouldn't say it's a great precedent.
>>
>>94894681
Nah, you can get his NA without reading F4, there are maybe some references here and there you wouldn't get, but I read his NA first and I can't think of anything I didn't get until I re-read it after I read his F4.
>>
>>94896748
I still don't get why we didn't get "Ultron! I would have words with thee!" in AoU.
>>
>>94897590
AoU had more Wolverine than Pym of Ultron.

It was just absolute garbage. I genuinely don't understand the thought process behind it.
>>
>>94897702
He's talking about the movie.
>>
>>94897726
Yep, you're right. I failed at reading. My bad.
>>
>>94896498
Where they at?
I knew Black Order were going to make it to the big screen the moment I saw them because there's literally no other precedent for a #teamThanos.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.