[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which ending was worse, Gravity Falls or Samurai Jack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

File: gravity_falls_cast_pic_6471.png (157KB, 350x205px) Image search: [Google]
gravity_falls_cast_pic_6471.png
157KB, 350x205px
Which ending was worse, Gravity Falls or Samurai Jack?
>>
>>94879577
Samurai Jack, the GF ending was fucking brilliant.
(Although SJ's wasn't as bad as /co/ seems to think, and the rest of the season was far worse.)
>>
>>94879598
What was brilliant about it?
>>
Samurai Jack by a landslide
>>
>>94879602
It was really great all the way through from beginning to end, I mean I do have a few nitpicks but that's true for every episode of every show I can think of right now.
>>
>>94879703
Even part 2?
>>
>>94879577
I think /co/ has a huge problem with understanding the difference between cheesy endings and bad endings. Samurai jacks ending was cheesy as fuck yeah but that doesnt make it bad. In this world of grimdark edgelordiness being around every corner cheesy shit is good to have every once in awhile. Course that doesnt mean it was perfect but it was still fun.
>>
>>94879708
Yes, even part 2. I actually paid special attention to it when rewatching the show after seeing so much hate for that specific episode (and the series in general) here on /co/. It didn't noticeably diminish my enjoyment of it whatsoever. Like I said, nitpicks, but blown out of proportion here.
>>
File: j7dnya0snemges41laxa.png (679KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
j7dnya0snemges41laxa.png
679KB, 800x450px
So what wasn't good about the first 2 episodes?

I liked it a lot but I felt there was some moments where it fell flat.

What do you think /co/?
>>
>>94879849
Wrong thread much?
>>
>>94879849
wrong thread, ignore autism.
>>
>>94879876
Why?
>>
>>94879577
>fuck the people I've known for 50 years, I'll throw them all away and focus on the chick I've known for 2 weeks at the most
Samurai Jack's.
>>
I liked them both
>>
>>94881546
>fuck the people I knew for a couple of days at best before wandering off to find another time portal, I'll throw them all away and focus on saving the home I was raised in and the people whom I swore to protect

Fixed.

I still don't know why you idiots keep blaming Jack for going back in time when it was all Ashi's idea
>>
>>94881680
>for a couple of days at best before wandering off to find another time portal
Scotsman disproves this, they both are obviously more than just acquaintances. And fuck your spoiler, even though Ashi dragged him in Jack obviously was completely fine with it and would have done it either way.
>>
>>94881753
So, there's one guy he was friends with who was dead at the time he made the jump.

We don't know what Jack would have done, and we´ll never know. What we know is that he took the situation he was given and took advantage of it.
>>
>>94881863
>We don't know what Jack would have done, and we´ll never know.

>only has Ashi on his mind at the time and nothing else
>that satisfied smile when he was in the time portal

Do you want to venture a guess, anon?
>>
>>94879577
GF by fucking far.

At the very least Aishi was just some forced romance.

GF's problem was not just the shit finale, but the impetus of the whole second season and Mabel's portray.
>>
>>94881898
>>only has Ashi on his mind at the time and nothing else
Does he? She just discovered she had Aku's powers; I think that guarantees a bit of attention.

And if you really want to know, I feel that if Jack did in fact had some time to decide whether or not go back in time he'd ask his friends what to do. And considering they all showed up just do die in Jack's name, my guess is they would have agreed.
>>
>>94881629
Me too
>>
>>94881939
What was wrong with Mabel?
>>
>>94879577
Both were underwhelming but I was already expecting Samurai Jack to have a shitty finale because of Ashi's existence so I am going with GF
>>
>>94881546
>no scene where Jack and the scotsman talk about the possibility of the future being erased and everybody dying
>Jack is feeling guilty because he doesn't want to erase all his friends
>scotsman says that no matter what happens Aku caused too much damage so might as well go with a bang
But nope, lets focus on the love interest that will die anyways
>>
>>94881939
Ashi ruined season 5, they already had too much baggage to get rid of by the finale and still shoved a new main character in between, you can notice that because the first episodes had much better pacing before Ashi gets on the spotlight

Mabel being a shitty character only got in the way during the finale, season 2 wasn't even that bad
>>
>>94879790
>killing off the protagonists closest ally and first love in the epilogue in a way that makes no sense just for the sake of not having a happy ending
>not grimdark
The problem isn't that it was cheesy, it's that it thematically clashed with everything built up throughout the season, and had the laziest and most hamfisted last minute tragedy imaginable.
It also doesn't help that it retconned almost every other episode in the entire series at the same time
>>
>>94882581
Not him but
>through the show Dipper sacrifices his own happiness over and over to please Mabel
>finale happens and Dipper has the opportunity to work with Ford
>Mabel gets butthurt because twins should stick together
>locks herself inside her own childish dream world and replaces him with a "better" version of himself
>forces him to throw away his life dream
And she never gets called for her own selfishness, it doesn't help that Dipper is so painfully beta he just takes the whole thing passively as if he owned her anything
>>
>>94882788
Ashi had spotlight in the very first episode.
And her family was the focus of the following two.
>>
File: apocalypse.jpg (35KB, 960x300px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse.jpg
35KB, 960x300px
>>94882946
Also
>>
>>94879577
You know after further thought, I think that Bill would actually make a pretty great husbando. First of all, he seems like the kind of guy that has a pretty good home bar. Like a nice selection of liquors that are decent quality, and he knows how to make some nice cocktails probably. But more importantly, he probably has some pretty good drugs, not downers like barbiturates but the fun shit like acid blotters and shrooms and other psychedelic shit. He probably wouldn't even make you fuck him to share his stash you'd just have to pretend to laugh at his quirky "humor." After that you'd just have to remember to get the fuck out of there before his latest "brilliant master" world domination plan blew up in his face because the plan is actually dogshit.
>>
>>94879577
Gravity Falls, easily. Jack had issues, but the whole season was still somewhat solid. No one broke character for the sake of moving the plot along, unlike Gravity Falls which was ALL that happened in Weirdmageddon.
>>
File: 1490498249560.png (385KB, 604x741px) Image search: [Google]
1490498249560.png
385KB, 604x741px
>>94879577
Jack by a long shot. Honestly i don't even know why you'd lump Gravity Falls in the same thread. Jack unfortunately just feel flat on a lot of levels (mostly rushing) that GF simply didn't
>>
>>94882990
>No one broke character for the sake of moving the plot along,

examples?
>>
>>94882990
Ashi waited until after the plot had resolved to break character
>>
>>94883289
How so?
>>
>>94883736
The very foundation of her characters existence shattered and she was wiped from reality
>>
>>94883819
So you meant breaking character literally?
>>
>>94879577
Overall Jack, but Jack had the best epilogue scene.
>>
>>94883841
Yes.
>>
>>94883906
The wedding was a good epilogue?
>>
>>94883948
Not him, but I bet he means that last scenes with the butterfly and the trees.
Not gonna lie; that last sequence did improve the finale a lot after the last 5 minutes for me.
>>
>>94882691
As much as I would have loved to see this, it wouldn't work.
First, because /co/ would still be complaining about "so what, because the Scotsman says it's okay Jack is free the wipe out the timeline? Who the fuck named him ambassador of the future?".
And second, the way the situation was presented, with Aku quite literally raining death upon the resistance it was a matter of life and death to choose immediately what to do. Now, if we'd had a two parter we would have been able to include a final exchange between the Scotsman and Jack, but with as little time as they had left they needed to make an immediate jump.
>>
>>94884059
Simple solution, cut out the scene where aku rains autism down upon everyone.
It felt like a rushed last minute way to kill everyone to mitigate guilt over erasing the future.
>>
>>94884104
You still have to deal with a mighty pissed off Aku in the middle of the room. I bet he wouldn't just stand idly while they're discussing the possibility to send Jack back in time.
>>
>>94883997
I genuinely dont understand how you can do that.
I don't understand how anyone that liked ashi in any manner would be okay at all with any factor of her death.
>>
>>94884138
Because it was aesthetic. It wasn't just a farewell to Ashi, it was goodbye to the whole series and Jack moving on.
And I had already forgotten about Ashi by that scene anyways desu.
>>
I literally finished watching GF for the first time not even half an hour ago. I'd heard the ending was dogshit but I loved it and don't get what the hate was about?
>>
>>94884129
Have ashi(aku powers to distract him), jack(final blows) and ghostman(bagpipe to restrain him) work together to kill him.

Jack then sees all his friends who came to save him and realizes the good he has done and can do for the future. Ashis power then fades and leaves her as just human.
Jack, ashi and friends rebuild his village in a future/feudal aesthetic as his parents and mentors smile from their cozy afterlife as Jack and Ashi look out at cherry blossoms with smiles on their faces and their hands clasped on her tummy.
Roll
Fucking
Credits
>>
>>94884138
I liked Ashi; I loved her character. And yeah, it fucking sucks that she died, specially in a sort of whiplash effect (she should have died as soon as they got back to the past, dammit!).
But I still try to make the best of it. And, honestly, the fact that I liked her so much made it easier for the to emphasize with Jack on that last sequence. His loneliness and sadness resonated excellently with me and seeing the mist dissipate did make me feel slightly better.
>>
>>94884229
I don't know if you're the same anon I was discussing with earlier, but of you are you've just gone from finding some respite for Jack and the Scotsman to talk to keep Jack from going back to the past.
>>
>>94884229
Forgot to add some kind of explanation that akus continued existence was keeping jack immortal(since he was responsible for the time travel), alternatively let ashi have immortality from the time she had akus powers
>>
>>94884270
If it bothers you, I still provided a way to deal with aku while they deliberate.
>>
>>94884273
Now you're just delving into headcanon territory. Which is fine, but is completely unrelated to what we were talking about.
>>
>>94884306
It still feels a bit forced, to me at least. I dunno, literally holding back the master of evil so we can talk.
I honestly liked how suddenly Ashi sent Jack back, in a way. I mean, it's not the norm seeing a character go for the most obvious solution even if it's not the most dramatic.
>>
>>94884335
>aku is weak to magic
>holding him back with Celtic magic, and his own magic feels forced.
Also going for the obvious solution would have been fine if it wasn't responsible for a nonsensical hamfisted .
That's the biggest issue with the finale, the tragedy makes it harder to accept bullshit logic and puts the rest of the season into questiln
>>
>>94884403
How is Jack supposed to communicate with the Scotsman is the Scotsman is playing the pipes to keep Aku at bay, anyway?
>>
>>94884471
He could speak between blows, knock aku into a wall to stun him, tag team with ashi or any number of other things.
>>
>>94884471
Celtic telepathy magic
>>
>>94884239
>She should have died as soon as he went to the past
I wouldn't have minded the cheesy wedding if he shouted AKUUUUU one last time, would have been the fucking tits

But you're right, her dying or simply fading in the portal as they appear in the past is an instant improvement and helps the notoriously rushed pacing by removing the entire wedding scene

Could have had a girl from the village wanting his dick all like "So, Jack, settling down anytime soon?" Wink wink

Insert pensive glance into the distance, maybe something hilariously cheesy like "I'll find somebody, but not for a while"
>>
>>94884221
>what the hate was about
/co/ autism
>>
>>94885712
Or maybe just don't hamfist a character death when the story is already wrapped up.
>>
>>94879577
I'm not really a fan of Gravity Falls, whereas Samurai Jack defined my adolescence.

Without a shadow of a doubt Samurai Jack was one of the worst finales of all time. It made Gravity Falls weak ending seem like Moral Orel's magnum opus of an ending.
>>
>>94879577

nothing is worse than Jack
>>
>>94879577
As someone who thought both endings were "meh," I thought GF's ending was more underwhelming.
>>
Samurai Jack 100%, GF aside from Mabel and Uncle Stan memory fix asspull it was pretty kickass.

While Jack was like a rollercoaster that starts amazing and ends up horribly
>Aku and Jack don't even fight
>power of love bullshit
>LOL I DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
>Gurren Lagann rip off
>Aku barely defends himself
>Ashi powers are stupid and an asspull
>Jack's parents are young, how the fuck did they miss that

Among other things, anyone that says "hurr your expectations were too high!" can also eat a dick, SJ finale was textbook shit, guy kills the villain, one last good bye to his friends, goes to the past, heartwarming ending, that's fucking it. How Genndy managed to fuck that up is completely beyond me.
>>
>>94885970
I get that muh bittersweet ending is getting annoying but there was no significant to anything. At the end it feels like nobody grew or learned anything, like if Bill was just a villain of the week guy instead of the main antagonist.

I would've been fine with the memory asspull if at least Dipper would've joined Stanford as his pupil, fucking Mabel ruined it for me, honestly.
>>
>>94885778
Her death was a pretty important part of the theme, it's not hard to understand
>>
>>94879598
I thought the ending of SJ was almost a frame per frame rip-off of Gurren Laggan
>>
>>94886055
You mean the theme of finding light and good in the darkest of places as well as rebirth of nature from the ashes?
Because that was the entire backbone of both their characters development.
>>
>>94879577
Samurai Jack would have been pretty good without the final episode
>>
File: 1492925503193.png (3MB, 2892x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1492925503193.png
3MB, 2892x1268px
>>94885943
>Uncle Stan memory fix asspull
>>
>>94887380
/co/ was biased as fuck when S5 was airing, it's like all the Steven Universe paranoia and thirst for a true action cartoon culminated in the whole board getting super ultra defensive at any criticism against the new season, Genndy could've made 22 minutes of literal shit and /co/ would've called it the "kino to end all kino". This scene with the Scotsman was no different, specially since it was after the first 3 episodes, the ones when SJ looked like the cartoon we always dreamed off. Oh boy were wrong, looking back I can tell there's holes in the entire season, such a shame.
>>
gravity falls is my fourth most disliked simpsons clone
>>
>>94887380
>one played for comedy
>one played for cheap drama
Yeah clearly the same scenario
>>
>>94879577
Jack. I thought GF's ending was fairly decent. Jack's is straight up Gurran Lagann, but without the main character being a hobo.
>>
>>94881546
Now, I don't consider the ending to Samurai Jack really good, but let's be honest, it doesn't matter what Jack thinks about all those people in the future he's been traveling for 50 years since.
They were all going to die against Aku. The Scotsman died, those woolies died, the ravers died, the archers died, those good-jumping moneys or apes died, the robots in their big robot died, they all died when they fought Aku.
Aku crushed them all, and there was nothing that Jack could do about it.

So, he might as well have jumped into the time vortex now. Nothing is keeping him in that accursed future that is Aku.
>>
>>94887531
How's it a Simpsons clone?
>>
>>94887676
Probably because it had humans with ping pong eyes and four fingers.
Strangely enough, some had five fingers.

And then there was that one freak with six fingers.
>>
I would argue Samurai Jack because, for all it's faults and horrible characterization, Gravity Falls stuck to the narrative of its conclusion, even if it was kind of really shitty and left a bunch of threads hanging for no reason other than to rush to the end.

Samurai Jack? There's no narrative justification for anything that happened in that ending, and as currently constructed basically renders the whole story pointless.
>>
>>94887859
>Gravity Falls stuck to the narrative of its conclusion, even if it was kind of really shitty and left a bunch of threads hanging for no reason other than to rush to the end.
Ah yes, the memes STILL continue.
>>
>>94881546
Weren't most of them aliens? They wouldn't have been effected at all. Gendy should have just showed clips at the ending of the side characters in the new timeline better off and completely avoided this shit show.
>>
>>94887594
>They were all going to die against Aku
That was as half assed and rushed as anything else in the ending, and was only done as a compliment to the timewipe(as it wasn't spread throughout the season, it happened in the same 5 minutes as Jack going back).
If genndy was going to have Jack stay in the future and cut that part out, the rest of the season wouldn't have been affected at all.
>>
>>94887895
>weren't most of them aliens?
yes
>they wouldn't have been affected
they were brought to earth by Aku in most cases
>>
>>94887871
>Ah yes, the memes STILL continue.
We appreciate your uncounterable arguments and great explanations, they really cement the idea that you aren't defending a hackjob.
>>
>>94887380
One was a slightly above side character being killed in front of a newly introduced family that no one really cared about besides waifu/LE THIDD XDDDfags. He didn't sacrifice anything, he just zerg rushed Aku after waiting 50 years for some reason and got BTFO.

The other was a member of the team, a main character, being rendered a vegetable in front of his also main character family, whom for the most part we sympathized with. His sacrifice was actually meaningful.
>>
>>94888256
The fact his meaningful sacrifice was completely undermined with no justification beyond "hey, happy ending" is the entire reason people hate that.

But if your point is the Scotsman's actions were completely retarded and added nothing to the show, and arguably were detrimental to it, yeah, I can agree I would rather have the memory ass pull before the Scotsman's entire season.
>>
I'm going to take an unpopular position and say Samurai Jack's ending wasn't that bad as far as Ashi having Aku's powers goes. It was obvious from the second that you knew Ashi and Aku shared energy that she was going to summon a portal for him.

The only bad points were not a large enough scale for such an epic series and Ashi fading away even after "I felt him leave me." The mechanics between Ashi, Aku, and time travel were never explained well; which is bad because it seems like forcable drama but excusable in that it's not a fucking video game.
>>
>>94888315
>The fact his meaningful sacrifice was completely undermined with no justification beyond "hey, happy ending" is the entire reason people hate that.
The justification is that that's how memory (and amnesia) works in real life. Now, you can obviously argue that it's a cartoon so it shouldn't always be realistic, but given that you're looking for realistic emotion (and consequences!) here, that seems more than a tad ironic.
>>
>>94888385
>The justification is that that's how memory (and amnesia) works in real life
I will ask you to reread whatever wikipedia article you read about amnesia, and memory issues in general. And that goes without saying that Bill didn't say "oh yeah, this is totally permanent, but it's just temporary".
>>
>>94885712
I personally think they should have had Ashi die as soon as she returns to the past as Aku's final fuck you to Jack.
The next final minutes of the finale could be Jack reuniting with his parents, happy to see them again but saddened by the loss he experienced.
All of this played in a silent sequence; no dialogue at all.
Then end with the scene in the mist and I'd be all for it.
>>
>>94879577
Both
>>
>>94879577
Jack, the GF ending was pretty good, it just didn't align with some people's expectations.

The ending the Jack was legit terrible.
>>
>>94879577
SJ was worse the only problems with the GF finale were how Mable was treated and Stans momories immediately coming back
>>
>>94893642
>Mable
Opinion auto-discarded, I'm not even reading these anymore.
>>
File: aql6r2814xyy.png (939KB, 532x1872px) Image search: [Google]
aql6r2814xyy.png
939KB, 532x1872px
>>94879577
At least Gravity Falls didn't retcon the entire fucking story
>>
>>94879577
Ending was good, bruh. Stop whining.
>>
>>94888371
Time travel mechanics were never explained because the show wasn't about time travelling.
The single instance of forward time travel was just used as a framing device to put a feudal ronin in an environment where he can fight aliens and robots (so cartoon network doesn't shut it down for killing humans).
If I recall correctly, a character played by genndy in a daddy duck show said that getting back to the past was a metaphorical goal
>>
>>94893844
Quit posting this, it's not even funny or clever.
>>
>>94882889
>makes no sense
it made sense, just not how long it took to take effect did.

I guess they just REALLY wanted to go full TTGL.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.