[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How popular is Spawn nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Spawn18.png (731KB, 1200x601px) Image search: [Google]
Spawn18.png
731KB, 1200x601px
How popular is Spawn nowadays?
>>
>>94852429
You'd be surprised, but the comic still has a pretty dedicated fanbase, myself included.

In the last 10 years of reboots, revamps, and events that DC and Marvel kept shitting out, Spawn stayed true to it's original timeline and is one ongoing story. I appreciate it for that.
>>
>>94852648
yes and no.
they made god good and satan bad when before it was just two asshole brothers
they rebooted everything and it was confusing
and they made spawn his wifes spirit lover even when she moved on
>>
>>94852429
Its famous because of his looks. No one knows shit about him other than the movie and maybe the first 20 issues of his comic.
>>
I'm surprised there isn't a TV show about it yet.
I mean in this day and age a black protagonist and 25 years of comics to pull from should have execs jumping in joy
>>
>>94853232
>they made god good and satan bad when before it was just two asshole brothers

That remains to be seen. We don't know what current God's endgame is, or why he's "playing nice" with Al Simmons atm.

>they rebooted everything and it was confusing

When? If you mean Jim Downing, that storyline is already over.

>and they made spawn his wifes spirit lover even when she moved on

You never forget your first love, anon. But I see your point.
>>
>>94853295
>yfw Spawn did diversity correctly without virtue signalling.
>in the 90's

Whenever people tell me comics aren't diverse, Spawn always reminds me that they are full of shit and don't know comics.
>>
It sells about as well as "The Mighty Captain Marvel" , which is somewhere around 15,000 units

So not really good but not bad either?
Image comics are usually around that number if not lower
>>
>>94853295
There is/was but it never came out since I think Todd was going to focus on the movie reboot.
>>
>>94852648

I quit when they replaced Al with Jim.

I gave Jim a chance for like 2 years but he never developed a personality and was so fuckin boring I couldn't justify buying the comic anymore.
>>
>>94853330
>>yfw Spawn did diversity correctly without virtue signalling.

What are you talking about?

There's an early issue where Al gets teleported to "the south" and immediately, IMMEDIATELY encounters the KKK. Because that's all the South is, apparently.
>>
>>94852429
I tried to re-read my old Spawns last year, but I had to quit mid-way because they fucking suck.
It could've been a good comic if Todd would've realized he doesn't know how to write and just let someone else do it.
>>
>>94853781
That storyline is over, btw. But you're right, Jim's story sort of meandered for too damn long.
>>
>>94853821
>It could've been a good comic if Todd would've realized he doesn't know how to write and just let someone else do it.

Todd quit writing after like issue 5 or 6 and started hiring guest writers to do it for him (Miller, Moore, Morrison, Gaiman, etc.).

It's funny, because he founded Image on a very vocal "No Writers" platform, going out publically and insisting that writers don't contribute anything to comics and that artists do all the REAL work (that's why all the Image founders were artists).

In under a year he was hiring writers to script his comic for him because he was so shit at it.
>>
>>94853821
Brian Holguin was pretty good, he wrote most of issue 101-140'ish.

No one is going to pretend early Spawn's writing was good. lol
>>
>>94852429
Not very much comics wise. It sells out of the top 100.

All old image characters lost their draw power.
>>
>>94853890
>he wrote most of issue 101-140'ish.
Well, I had to stop buying right before they got to issue 100 (they stop carrying it in my country after issue 93 or so) and now I've a bunch of stuff higher on my catch up list than Spawn.
>>
The average Spawn story:
- Spawn is sitting on his throne, which is made of rotten, worm-infested remains
- Cogliostro or Angela or Violator or the mailman come and either tell him to solve his problems or threaten him with some prophecy (which of course will never be fulfilled)
- Spawn, still seated on his rotten throne, remembers his wife and daughter and cries a bit
- From his skyscraper, Jason Wynn puts a bad guy face and orders some evil action to be done
- Spawn is still in his worm-infested throne talking to his beggar friends, who tell some joke
- Malebolgia says that Al Simmons will be his someday and laughs hysterically
- Spawn is still crying in his throne when a supernatural menace appears and Spawn spectacularly fights it... for three pages
- And now that he has left the throne, he will take a look at his ex-family from the window, like a fucking stalker. He cries a bit more.
- Cogliostro insists that something big is coming, that everything’s going to change, that the prophecy will be fulfilled. One of these days.
- In the end, Spawn is sitting on his stinky throne again.
Repeat for about 100 issues.
>>
>>94853232
>they made god good and satan bad

I've never read a single spawn comic and I'm pretty sure this goes against pretty much everything the comics originally stood for
>>
File: 971509.jpg (68KB, 600x920px) Image search: [Google]
971509.jpg
68KB, 600x920px
Fuck Spawn, that bitch ass-nigga. New Sam & Twitch WHEN
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.