[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problems with R&M s3 (trigger warning, I mention female writers)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 4

File: rick-and-morty-portal.jpg (249KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
rick-and-morty-portal.jpg
249KB, 970x545px
>Dan Harmon
He's actually the biggest issue with this season. After he had his terrible divorce he's be using that to fuel his comedy in R&M and now we have an entire season that's about Beth and Jerry's marriage bullshit. I know comedy comes from misery but Harmon needs to stop hijacking the show to deal with his problems. It doesn't help that we've already seen the interview where Harmon talks about the theme of the season being terrible people not having the self control to fix their problems. NOTHING from this season feels remotely like a Justin Roiland influenced story. Also all of the episodes being connected by this theme pigeon holds the writers from being able to do what they want like they did in season one.

>female writers
Yes I'm going to talk about this. It's no secret that the first two seasons of Rick and Morty had no female writers due to women not being interested in the material. After it blew up in popularity and feminists started complaining about the lack of female talent at Adult Swim, it was obvious that some affirmative action hires were going to happen. Call me a sexist pig if you want, but it's just a fact that good female comedy writers don't exist. There are some bad male comedy writers, but there are ONLY bad female comedy writers. Keep in mind that Harmon did the same affirmative action thing for Community, and he didn't hire ANY of those female writers for any season of Rick and Morty, despite those women at least having SOME experience compared the new s3 R&M women. Having new, unproven talent like this definetely made the show lose quality.
>>
>reliance on bloody gore over jokes
This one is pretty self explanatory. Think back to season 1 and you can count the gory scenes on one hand (Ruben blowing up, Alexander, Scary Terry killing the dream people, Jerry shooting Mantis!Davin, and arguably Morty shooting the bug people in the pilot) and even then compared to the other two it's pretty tame. Now they're using elaborate gore scenes as "jokes", as if a guy being cut in half is hysterial. Long gone are the days of actually clever dark humor that makes you think, just watch this evil guy burn to death!

>Rick is too invincible
He's able to get out of any situation on his own, even as a pickle. And with the Federation being gone he's doesn't have a plot related reason to keep taking Morty on adventures. Season 2 was weak but one of the best things about it was the introduction of several characters that could challenge Rick (the time monsters, Stephen Colbert's character, Total Rickall parasites, Tammy) and season one had The Council of Ricks that Rick had to run away from. Now he's toppled them in one episode and basically has no enemies except for Tammy.
>>
>Trigger Warning.
>>
>>94812813
it's shit, I just hope it dies with S3, that's all.
>>
>>94812813
*pigeonholes, whoops
>>
I don't know if you know this, but people always create their best content when they are at their lowest points. Anything before isn't deep enough and anything after tries too hard to recreate that feeling.
>>
>>94812859
You're falling hard for confirmation bias, Rick and Morty has always been big on gory shock humor to add in their black comedy.
>>
This was the worst (most boring) episode of S3 and it was written by a man. The others were shit but at least they had a bit funny stuff.
>>
>>94812813
>female writers

I wouldn't go this far. I think it's more that clearly the vast majority of women who applied to wrote for the show were fangirls rather than just being chicks. And if there's one common thread among R&M fan girls, it's that they love to woobify and lionize the shit out of Rick
>>
>>94813147
>having tastes this pleb

Yes I'm sure le Pickle Rick killing some henchmen is hilarious to peanut brained people.
>>
>>94813147
>and it was written by a man
Ridley isn't really a man, he's more of a fungus that grows where he's allowed to.
>>
>>94812813
>Call me a sexist pig if you want, but it's just a fact that good female comedy writers don't exist. There are some bad male comedy writers, but there are ONLY bad female comedy writers.

Tina Fey is a good comedy writer. That being said, distrubtions, tails, etc. it's probably true that it's harder to find good ones.

Still, what this guy: >>94813160
makes the most sense, It's exactly the same kind of thing that ended up ruining community, so it ties with Harmon being a hack that is ruining the show.
>>
>>94813292
it was shit but it wasn't at least boring like this shit
>>
>>94812874
Why?
>>
>>94812813
> NOTHING from this season feels remotely like a Justin Roiland influenced story.

Roiland is a well known alchoholic. He's turned up to several panels at cons completely shit-faced. He might just be too fucking drunk to contribute anything this season.
>>
why can't /co/ have the same rules as /a/, jesus christ
>>
>>94813401
The new episode had big titties and giantess Summer, that makes it less boring than the last three episodes on default
>>
>>94812813
>but there are ONLY bad female comedy writers
I think the existence of good female written webcomics like Hark! A Vagrant and Sarah's Scribbles disproves that notion.
>>
>>94813418
Drunk Roiland is the most creative Roiland. He came up Meeseeks.
>>
>>94812935
Maybe Dan Harmon needs to get cancer or something, because right now Rick and Morty is terrible.
>>
WHERE ARE THE JOKES. The nihilist stuff is really over the top this season
>>
>>94813028
No they haven't.
>>
>>94813467
all that for fucking 5 seconds
they could have great plot with giantness summer but noooooo
>>
>>94812813
>>94812859
The only episode I've liked so far was vindicators, and even that was kind of mediocre, also, Holy shit, divorce and marriage problems get incredibly stale incredibly fast. One thing I can say though is that I really like Morty's character development this season, you can see his character evolving in the subtle things he says and does. I watch it for the Morty at this point.
>>
>>94813473
Kate Beaton isn't funny and is extremely sensetive to the most basic sex jokes.

Sarah Scribbles is funnier as white supremecy edits just for the reaction they get from tumblrites.
>>
I like the divorce shit.
I agree on principle, but the change in writers hasn't really been that bad. There's a slightly different feeling to some episodes, but it isn't so bad, or really bad at all. It's just different.
The gore does seem to go one step beyond where it would have previously stopped. In addition Rick has definitely experienced some power creep. This happens in a lot of fiction as people try to top themselves/their peers: shit sucks, but not all that badly.
>>
>>94813531
It really isn't.
>>
>>94813580
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdr4WUcix6E

What else would you call this?
>>
>>94813580
Wasn't there an episode where a giant hobo exploded all over the Earth?
>>
>>94812813
You can really feel where Roiland's humor has disappeared. The show tries way too hard to be character focused, which completely kills a lot of the ridiculousness that needs to be presented.
>>
>>94813698
>Kate Beaton isn't funny
That's a pretty shit opinion.
I can't really think of more then a handful of funny women in the anglosphere, but I've read plenty of funny manga with female authors.
>>
>>94813732
For that matter before you try to go "cherry picking"
If you can do a nearly episode long death compilation of deaths from 2 short seasons, with numerous of those being grotesk and gorey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUxNQlvzuL8
>>
>>94813147
For season 3 so far
1>5>2>3>4
>>
>>94812935
This is a myth. You don't need to be miserable to produce good art.
>>
I'm going to level with you: I thought this show was pretty fun and I thought you were all idiots... until today.

Everything you said about this show turned out to be right, AND in this episode. It's like the FUCKING SHERLOCK BOOMERANG scene all over again.

1. Rick gets fucking cyber inspector gadget implants out of nowhere, even though they'd have been fucking handy a season ago.
2. You can smell the feminism in the "Fuck you, Jerry, you're pathetic and you made this strong independent womyn want to marry you and that makes you a predator!
3. Nobody learns anything or grows despite the illusion of growth and the fact that this show recently visited the Steven Universe school of "Claim you're about characters, not action or adventure, so you'll get away with more shit".
4. Rick saves Jerry, rather than letting him die and bringing home a new Jerry even after the little shit tried to kill him.
5. Beth makes an ass of herself while desperately trying to be like Rick despite being a fucking retard with shit social skills, this clearly came from Harmon. God, I miss when this bitch's patheticness was limited to being all "This is fine" about her father. Now it's shoved in your face and its anal juices get smeared all over you.
6. This show is going the BBC sherlock route of "Stop liking our badass protagonist we keep shilling then shitting on then shilling REEEEEEEEEEE". Fucking american women.
7. The next episode looks like it'll be "Going on adventures is bad" trash, like that fucking "Going on adventures with the doctor is bad" shit from Doctor Who under Moffag.
8. Morty decides the "Crime" of dumping the plain and kinda bitchy Summer who frequently gets dragged off on bullshit adventures and going out with a big-tittied hippy dumbass is a crime worthy of hideous mutilation, because he hurt Summy-wummy's precious little body-woddy image. Fuck this.
>>
I'm so fucking mad. I didn't want to say the new writers are shit, I didn't want to hop on the bandwagon. But after seeing the Whirly Dirly episode... I can't disagree. The new writers are fucking trash. This episode was better than 2-4 all put together. It's almost as good as 1-4 put together, but 1 is at least decent, so it just barely outweighs 5 when combined.

So yeah. Fuck the female writers. Fire every god damn one of them. They are strangling this fucking show. And this is coming from someone who has been arguing to give them a chance for the past month.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6Iaoc2aJY
what could have been
>>
>>94813727
You're in the minority and probably relate to that "eating shit" guy from Rixity Minutes.
>>
>>94813500
Fucking around with his cat is what created Meeseeks. If he's drinking because of the pressure that keeping R&M high quality, he could be too fucked up to work.
>>
>>94813796
Season one scenes end 10 minutes in, and are demonstrably less gorey. So you're proving my point here.
>>
>>94813958
1. He's Rick he's sooo wacky, he probably decided to get them not long ago.
2. Pretty sure that's just Rick being an asshole because he hates Jerry and the fact that he married his daughter.
3. Jerry probably learned stuff here. We'll have to see later.
4. Jerry ends up saving him later but I agree.
5. ?
6. Pretty sure Rick has always been an asshole.
7. Didn't check it.
8. Well it was an ass move to dumb her for another girl after what seems a pretty long time dating, the punishment is harsh but it's just the show being edgy.
>>
>>94813994
Wasn't this one written by one of the original writers though?
>>
>>94812813
>Call me a sexist pig if you want, but it's just a fact that good female comedy writers don't exist.
Eh, there's a few

Tina Fey used to be funny when she was doing a lot of self-referential LOL WOMEN jokes, but then she actually became a living embodiment of those jokes.
>>
>>94812813
I'm just here to tell you that Rick and Morty has no problems and the only reason why you hate it is because you are a jealous contrarian.
>>
>>94814140
>after what seems a pretty long time dating
Dude, she was fucking and married a dude in murder world in the middle of that long time. Shit makes no sense.

I don't care though, Summer's fetish shit always cracks me up.
>>
>>94813751
It's mentioned in the second post.

>>94813776
>shit opinion
She hasn't been relevant since her shitstorm about "i want to have their babies" jokes. People realize she isn't funny or insightful, just a SJW making "jokes" about history and Wonder Woman.
>>
>>94813160
Just like all the strong fictional men they lust over.

Also, lol. Lionize. It's funny because in the new episode, when Rick and Jerry and the new baddie go on an acid trip-ish fusion adventure, there's a part where clips of literally lionized rick is mounting and devouring animalized Jerry and it's interspersed with clips of them naked and buttfucking, Rick assraping Jerry, and then they fuse, and... and...

WHY THE FUCK DO AMERICAN WOMEN LOVE FUSION SO FUCKING MUCH WHY THE FUCK FIRST SJWNIVERSE NOW THIS. WHY FUSION. WHY FUSION?! WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING POLYMERIZATION YUGIOH CARD FUCKING FUSION... WHAT IS IT ABOUT FUSION AND GAYNESS THAT MAKES THEM SO FUCKING AROUSED?! DO THEY FUCKING... DO THEY FUCKING FUCK THEMSELVES WITH A BAD DRAGON DILDO WHILE PLAYING PERSONA GAMES AND FUSING THE FUCK OUT OF SOME PERSONAS? WHY THIS GAY FAGGOTY FUSION FAGGOTRY, WHY, FUCKING WHY?!
>>
>>94813958
1. Rick isn't in his orignal body, he just transferred his conciousness into this body in the beginning of this season.
2. Jerry is a pathetic leach, Rick is completely right. Not everything is part of some feminist agenda. Jerry is cancer.
3. Morty seems to be growing and changing, though not necessarily for the better. Rick also seems to be showing some remorse for his actions of late even though he keeps repeating the same mistakes. Self-destructive tendencies are a vital part of his character.
4. Fair complaint I guess but it seems like an odd point to get hung up on. I don't really feel that Rick is so far gone he would actually murder Jerry.
5. Beth has always been a bitch. She's clearly trying to prove that she can function without Rick after what the therapist said last episode.
6. Fair point, this is one of my biggest complaints about this season.
7. The episode isn't out yet, no comment.
8. Morty becoming more of an asshole has been his main character arc throughout this season and in some ways throughout the series as a whole.
>>
>>94814140
I'm getting a real fucking big hatred for that word. "Wacky".

Also didn't she literally marry some dude in the Mad Maxiverse? Cheating on the man she suddenly cares about so much being dumped hurts her boddy-woddy image?
>>
File: Jail_Break_Jasper_angry.jpg (66KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Jail_Break_Jasper_angry.jpg
66KB, 640x360px
>>94814228
i wonder who could be behind this post..
>>
>>94814228
Sorry if that sounds stupid, I was trying to be funny in the style of this show, but felt adding in M-m-muhs and *uuurp*s would have been dumb.

In all seriousness, why do the feminist-brainwashed american women have such a massive boner for the concept of fusion?
>>
Beth and Jerry have always been the weakest written characters and their subplots always sucked because of it constantly being the same thing over and over till they finally got a divorce. I've hated them since season 1.

I don't get why suddenly everyone's feeling sorry for jerry now when the divorce has just shown how shitty both of them are. Fuck em both.
>>
>>94814213
>She hasn't been relevant since her shitstorm about
I don't follow drama shit. I liked her web comic. I could care less about whatever you are talking about.
>>
>>94814445
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ

Steven Universe is shit. I brought it up because american SJW women work on that show with their black male SJW and white male SJW and assorted women SJW friends..

I also brought Persona 5 up because as good as the game was, the game gave more focus to the rapey women's volleyball team coach than it gave to the mother-murdering orphan-exploiting growing-boy-starving plagarist, the food-company bastard willing to poison the country with shit food for easy cash while also giving so few fucks about the daughter he wants to sell like cattle a copy of her doesn't appear inside his brain, the assassin that killed at least six people and probably killed dozens more, the guy that made a pact with the evil god of control and accused the hero of assaulting a woman, the fucker that cheats in Gun About, and the bank owner who I guess is also a dick, while claiming Kamorapey is the worst of them all.
>>
>>94814640

Kameorapey was a tutorial, that's why it felt like you spent so much time there.

And the game spent plenty of time making you hate each of those pieces of shit, not to mention if the game was SJW you claim it sure as hell wouldn't have Ann and Makoto dress the way they were or be able to have relationships with women older than you without shaming you about it. Japan gives no fucks.
>>
>>94814864
I didn't say the game was SJW. I said it felt relevant because that game also has fusion, and I wanted to try and make it more relevant here.

But seriously, what is up with fusion and feminists? Why does fusion intrigue them so much in such an almost-fetishy way?
>>
>>94815058

Can you post other examples cause P5 is kinda a stretch.
>>
>>94815125
I can only think of two feminist-owned pieces of media the feminists inserted fusion into right now: Steven Universe and Rick and Morty. Those are my examples. Sorry about not having more, but I really want to discuss that fusion aspect now. What about fusion turns feminist women on so much? Is it the way you arguably die if you fuse everything that makes you you with another, like how blue and yellow paint becomes green paint when mixed together? Or is it some twisted repressed desire to give their all to someone that gives their all to them, being dominated and becoming one with the dominator and becoming a couple, a happy family, something that can now only exist in their wildest and lonliest dreams?

Anyone else have any theories?
>>
Riley wrote good stories in the past seasons.I think this episode is bad because he was forced to include the divorce shit in it and couldn't do what he wanted: a wacky adventure unrelated to the other episodes.
>>
>>94815265
Hey man, I heard they were turning frogs gay. Is that true?
>>
>>94813418
Well he argues showing up to panels shit faced makes for good press
>>
>>94814077
Well first cable episode was just drunk improv.

The man literally drinks in booth to do Rick.

I don't think he's capable of understanding pressure
>>
>>94812813
>it's just a fact that good female comedy writers don't exist
What happened anon? Did mommy neglect you when you were younger? Or did she touch you in naughty places? How bad did the girls bully you in school?
>>
>>94814471
>why do the feminist-brainwashed american women have such a massive boner for the concept of fusion?

For the same reason they all got lady boners for the concept of soulmates/related romance novel/shojo manga-tier concepts.
>>
>>94815348
>>94815482

SOUND THE ALARMS, EVERYONE! THE FEMINISTS ARE HERE TO PLAY DAMAGE CONTROL! You thought they were bad when they raided the "Post bad tumblr art with the bad tumblr artstyle that fetishes race and disability and has that fucking red tumblrnose" thread, but now they're here!

I'm not sticking around to get called a /pol/ user for triggering feminists and knowing where the "They're turning frogs gay" meme comes from. Have fun, /co/!
>>
File: 1461190190010.gif (425KB, 1221x850px) Image search: [Google]
1461190190010.gif
425KB, 1221x850px
>>94815348
>>94815482
>>
>>94815348
>>94815482
WE DID IT, LADS! WE BEAT THE FEMINAZIS!
>>
>>94814165
Shh, stop making sense. Just keep blaming the female writers over and over.
>>
>>94815394
JESUS CHRIST! PLEASE GOD TAKE ME INTO THE LIGHT
OH GOD I SEE DEMONS
I SEE DEMONS THEY'RE COMING!
>>
File: blob-eats-wasp-ultimatum.jpg (925KB, 1280x2008px) Image search: [Google]
blob-eats-wasp-ultimatum.jpg
925KB, 1280x2008px
>>94812935
Not always work like that
>>
>97 more years of shitty episodes
>>
>>94813958
youre right about the nice guy predator thing and the body image thing. the other two people that replied to you might not know that those are feminist things

ah hell. i just swallowed it without realizing.
>>
>>94812813
TRIGGER WARNINGS ARE MY TRIGGERS ANON
>>
>>94813147
This episode blows 2 3 and 4 out of the fucking water. If it isn't your favorite, fine, but I can't see any wau conceivable that anyone but a full blown fucking retard could find episode 5 to be duller than 2 3 AND 4.
>>
>>94812859
>actually clever dark humor that makes you think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_vmOvfbg90
>>
I have like the latest season for the most part. But what in the fuck was that ending to episode 5? Am I supposed to feel "serves him fucking right"?
>>
>>94812813
>Dan Harmon is the biggest issue
HOLY SHIT SOMEONE FINALLY CALLED IT

It isn't just the divorce. Dan's obsession with calling out cliches has led to every joke being a meta joke of sorts. Season 1 had some nods (like "we get 3, 4 more of these tops") and clever subversions (like killing off the generic bully antagonist within a minute of introducing him), but the show didn't just center around Rick making fun of every trope in existence, and how using tropes in a straightforward manner makes you a shitty normie.

Dan's writing suffers from Joss Whedon Syndrome: where every line of dialogue has to have or end on some kind of snappy quip.
>>
>>94813958
If the sexes of Jerry and Beth were swapped (ie Janice got pregnant from poking a hole in Bert's (Rick's son) condom and refusing abortion) and this then fucked up his life, Rick would be having the exact same conversation. It isn't feminist propaganda. It is Rick being pissed for holding Beth back in almost all conceivable dimensions which he finds incredibly angering.

Again with Morty fucking up that blonde faggot. Given Summer's current character development, if the tables were turned and Jessica had acted like that towards Morty (whereas she has always been sweet to him thus far), she would probably do the same thing. Again, not feminism. It is a display of Morty caring about his sister, becoming more daring and assertive, as well as losing bits of his morality and becoming more like Rick. And it fucking displayed that beautifully.

I hate third wave feminism as much as the next sane person but you can take your buzzwording bullshit back to /pol/ you nigger.
>>
>>94812813
>pigeon holds

jesus fucking christ
kill me
>>
>>94816413
>>94814165
No shit, dumbass. That is what I'm saying. This is the first episode since s3e1 written by an original writer, and it is fucking leaps and bounds better than 2 3 and 4, which were all predominantly made by new writers.

>>94814165
You learn to read
>>94816413
You suck a fat cock
>>
>>94820615
See
>>94820649
>It is a display of Morty caring about his sister, becoming more daring and assertive, as well as losing bits of his morality and becoming more like Rick. And it fucking displayed that beautifully.
>>
>>94813677
what motherfuckers dont understand is that all this is plot development and it needs to be carefully woven into the subplot
>>
>>94820762
>>94820649
oh shit that puts it in a whole new light. Thanks
>>
>>94820615
>am I supposed to feel "serves him fucking right"?
This. Everyone is talking about how this is is a sign that Morty is becoming evil like Rick, but I'm not sure I trust the writers that much. Initially they seemed to act evenhandedly toward Rick's actions, but lately they've seemed to be making excuses for, justifying or otherwise ignoring that Rick is a shitty person. They keep making false equivalents for his atrocities, like when he kills the Vindicators just because he'a a dick. The writers try to justify it as "Well, look, they turned out to secretly be assholes!", as if that's just as bad as murder. It's morally ambiguous in the same way that choosing between Caesar's Legion or any other New Vegas faction is morally ambiguous.

Extending from this, I really wouldn't be surprised if Morty's actions are supposed to be excused in some way. "Yeah what he did is wrong, but there are two sides to this!" If this was season 1 then I would have more faith that the writers are self aware enough to know that horrifically mutilating a guy for dumping your sister is 100% bad, but the recent focus on darkness and nihilism makes me uncertain.

I wonder, had Rick Potion #9 been made in season 3, would Rick even give the rant about how creepy love potions are?
>>
>>94812859
>Stephen Colbert'
Zeep was actually a better person for rick.

He used energy to help is people rather then his car.
>>
>>94820946
^
He's right
>>
I wouldnt say this season is bad, but definitely not as good, the Vindicators episode was dumb, and the writers are making Rick a little too invincible, the cyborg implants thing was a bit much that will never be referenced again
>>
>>94820946
better than*
>>
>>94820656
It's a doggy dog world out their anon.
>>
>>94814640
>I brought it up because american SJW women work on that show with their black male SJW and white male SJW and assorted women SJW friends..
Geezus you are fucking obsessed
>>
>>94821196
Something something (((them))) something Soros something cuck
>>
>>94821162
Diamond dozen phrase in all intensive purposes
>>
>that one faggot who tried to derail the thread so he could have an armchair therapy discussion about feminists and fusions
wew
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.