[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the earliest example of a mary sue in cartoons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 6.jpg (70KB, 562x777px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
70KB, 562x777px
What's the earliest example of a mary sue in cartoons?
>>
>>94800581
Popeye or Micky Mouse
>>
>>94800581
Bugs Bunny
>>
>>94800632
Micky Mouse, maybe. Popeye had to Dues-Ex-Spinach his way out of everything. He got trounced otherwise. Heck, he got trounced a few times even WITH the spinach.
>>
>>94800581
there were episodes where Arnold got screwed over, how is he a mary sue?
>>
>>94801183
Arnold has virtually no flaws.

At least he is not loved by everyone. He deals with shit, so he's sympathetic.
>>
>>94801252
>no flaws
So that thing on his shoulders doesn't count as a flaw?
Arnold isn't a mary sue, he's close to one but not quite
>>
>>94801252
This clip says it all. Never forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSmuE7Us9hk
>>
>>94801339
Thing on his shoulders? You mean his collar?
>>
>>94800581

I really hated how he went from chill, quirky dreamer to fucking Jiminy Cricket. Like any personality Arnold had was just evaporated into thin air.
>>
>>94801252
>not loved by everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8IHV0AH2o
>>
>>94800635

That tortoise guy always outsmarts Bugs though.
>>
>>94801252
He got shit on all the time. He was just a chill motherfucker who was willing to listen to people, and wanted to help. It didn't always work out and he fucked up sometimes too. He was just more laid back then most of the other kids.
He also kept going after Lila when she rejected his feelings multiple times. Earlier episodes had him much more gullible too and he's acted out of revenge in at least two episodes like in Girl Trouble.

The last two seasons had Arnold take a back seat from what I remember. A lot less Gerald too from what I remember.
>>
File: tvtropes was a mistake.png (32KB, 1146x87px) Image search: [Google]
tvtropes was a mistake.png
32KB, 1146x87px
>>94801371
>>
>>94801945
>jerkass
>tearjerker

man
>>
>>94800635
>>94801844
Bugs isn't a Mary Sue strictly speaking. He got outwitted by Cecil Tortoise a few times, but also keep in mind, other than a few of the fat-Elmer shorts, Bugs isn't an instegator. He's a smart ass who constantly goes up against ass-*holes * that start shit or attack/try to eat him.

The Warner Brothers (and Sister) OTOH are more Mary-Sue ish as they don't have the same compunctions about waiting to be shot at first. They would constantly start trouble and outwit/out-annoying their targets to get what they want, which is far worse than Bugs basically defending himself in 90% of his outings.
>>
>>94802081
Bugs's failure to Cecil is a reference to the tortoise & the hare.

I just realized the connection.
>>
>>94801945

I need to rewatch those troper tales videos again
>>
>>94802081

I was never crazy about the Warners and you just nailed the reason why. They're the exact kind of instigating assholes that Bugs would defend himself from.
>>
>>94801945
>>94802014

Tearjerker dates back to the early 20th century though. I'm pretty sure there's at least one reference to "an old fashioned tearjerker" in Looney Tunes shorts.
>>
>>94800581
Didn't he just turn into everybody's conscience in the later seasons?
>>
>>94804680
>Didn't he just turn into everybody's conscience in the later seasons?

Pretty much. There's an episode later on where he gets criticised for butting his head into everyone else's situations so he swears off helping for once. Instead they all turn to Helga for advice and everything goes to hell.
>>
>>94802290
Those are something else. Whenever I watch them, I feel like I'm delving into the mind of a future school shooter.
>>
>>94801183
>how is he a mary sue?
the same way almost every character that get called a Mary Sue here is, "OP doesn't like them"
>>
>>94800632
Popeye always got his ass kicked in the beginning though and resorted to Spinach to overpower Pluto.

Mickey Mouse is closer.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.