[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is NY so important to comic books? Why do so many stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Why is NY so important to comic books? Why do so many stories take place there?

Is there any book, interview, documentary that addresses this topic?
>>
It's only Marvel and it's because they were headquartered there.
>>
>>94735593
Oh, okay. Thanks.
>>
>>94735593
>>94735617
DC also was until 2015. They moved to Burbank.
>>
>>94735766
The headquarters was there but they tend to use more in-universe locations.
>>
>>94735790
Metropolis and Gotham are both modeled off New York City though.
>>
>>94735538
Because New York is a very densely populated area with many facets of culture, in a relatively small area. NY is a condensed metropolis full of shit happening within it nearly every day.

Plus, ass-loads of media companies had/have their headquarters there, people tend to write what they see and know on a regular basis.
>>
>>94735538
What I find interesting is the surface-level grasp of New York in stories written even by people from the city itself. Recent Marvel is especially guilty of this
>>
>>94735538
*NYC is so important to comic books. The rest of New York doesn't exist.
>>
It's one of the things that annoys me the most about Marvel.

I think different heroes should defend different cities, it really gets tiring seeing NY on every single Marvel story and book.
>>
>>94736304
America isnt set in New York. That monkeys paw, anon.
Haven't the X-men been based in San Fransisco for years now?

Have a shitty photo I took from the ESB.
>>
>>94735817
I always imagined Gotham as being more like a mix between Chicago and Detroit, though it's obvious NY has inspired every metropolis in fiction.
>>
File: 0422.png (210KB, 599x457px) Image search: [Google]
0422.png
210KB, 599x457px
>>94735538
>Why is one of the largest metropolitan cities in the world so important
>>
>>94736393
Utopia hasn't been a thing since AvX 5 years ago
>>
>Why is the center of the modern world used so often
>>
>>94736393
The X-Men live in a new school in Central Park now.
>>
>>94736623
Gotham is literally an old nickname for New York City.
>>
>>94736635
>>94736726
You don't gotta be rude.
>>
>>94735538
I dunno OP do you think it might have something to do with New York being the most famous, influential, and well known city in the United States?
>>
>>94736393

The Inhumans live in NY
X-Men live in Central Park
Ultimate's Triskelion is in NY
Avengers Tower is in NY
>>
I liked the Intiative era because if the POV shift to different parts of the country. Including a Kansas team in one of the Marvel Zombies books from that period.

At least the Rangers are a semi permanent team for my neck of the woods.
>>
>>94737220
Ant-Man in Miami
Captain Carol in space
Visions in Virginia

Not EVERY book is NYC
>>
>>94735817
Yeah, but DC doesn't 100% centralize in those places any thing like Marvel NYC.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.