[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Rebirth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: DC_Rebirth.png (4MB, 1500x1161px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth.png
4MB, 1500x1161px
What's your favourite ongoing/mini, fellow DC readers?

>What are you still reading?
>What have you dropped?
>Do you actually pay for floppies anymore?
>What are you looking forward to?
>>
Thanks for asking, Patricia. I originally was planning on just picking up Rucka's Wonder Woman, which sucked a surprising amount (still bought all of it bc completism). But thanks to /co/ I got turned onto Deathstroke, New Super-Man and Red Hood & The Outlaws, all of which are surprisingly great. I wanted to like Green Lanterns and the Tomasi Superbooks but they just haven't clicked with me so far. Haven't heard great things about Giffen's Blue Beetle but I'll probably end up getting it at some point. King's Batman is an atrocity, I don't understand why it's such a hit.

Not really anything else that caught my attention.
>>
>>94723222
>King's Batman is an atrocity, I don't understand why it's such a hit.
Gotta tell ya, I'm one of those little white cucks that actually enjoys it. In my eyes, it goes like this:
>I am Gotham
Great.
>Monster Men
Fun, but ultimately silly little Bat-event. Nothing insulting.
>I am Suicide
An interesting first issue, but everything after it is just so boring and borderline experimental.
>I am Bane
Great.
>The War of Jokes and Riddles
Probably the weakest part of the run so far and actually the story I was looking forward to the most. At this point, I've convinced myself that I just don't like Janin, but I loved him on Grayson.

And I dig all the silly side issues like the Clay Mann one with Gotham Girl and the Kite-Man one was neat too.

>Wonder Woman
Gotta tell ya, I've been tempted to pick this up myself. You gotta take a picture of your collection some time or link me it in the purchases thread. I really wanna get all the Jenny Frison variants.
>Deathstroke
My NIGGA! It's a great series, but I just started purchasing it from issue one.

You tried the Young Animal shit they brought out?
>>
>still reading
Batman
Batwoman
Flash
Aquaman
New Super-Man
Deathstroke
Mister Miracle
Mother Panic
Cave Carson
Doom Patrol
Shade
Bug!
Wild Storm
The Metal event and tie-ins
>dropped
Wonder Woman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
JLA
Green Lanterns
Superman
>floppies
I went crazy with them for a while, but I'm going to cut back on them a lot.
>looking forward to
The Ragman and Deadman minis sound good, I'll try both of those. Maybe Mystik U, but I have a feeling it'll be a super mediocre book like most of DC's magic books, unfortunately. Definitely up for Superman: Year One, WW Earth One vol 2, Arkham Asylum 2, and a lot of their new graphic novels though.
>>
>>94723353
If you like it, I'm glad! You gotta find stuff that speaks to you. It is hugely popular, maybe I'm just not getting it. I think Morrison's Batman's voice is still too fresh in my head. I couldn't get into Snyder's run either.

I love the original Rucka run a lot, but this one was just another needless origin reboot/retcon. Really disappointing.

Deathstroke's great. I love that Priest is making each issue a really dense reading experience but not skimping on action. That's a tough balance to pull off, and is really building on the New 52/Rebirth universe and managing to do some repair work on continuity. The twist in the latest few issues is such an interesting turn for the character. Hope it's a really long run.

Cave Carson's good, I've got all of that so far. The Super Powers backups in the first few issues were the highlights, though. Some people swear by Shade, but that character (any version) has never really done anything for me, aside from the analogue version in Copra.
>>
>>94723469

And I'm really looking forward to the new Morrison projects, but those will be years away still.
>>
>>94723469
Don't worry nigga, I can see all the flaws in Kings shit. It's really disappointing, especially coming off Vision and Omega Men.
t. Morrison-fag.

>>94723501
Christ, I really do hope they're not that far away. I'm still hoping for him to write more Flash. Or GL.
>>
>>94723526
Multiversity Too featuring The Flash is a thing that is happening. Eventually.
>>
> Superman
Is great up to Reborn which I paused at for now.
> Action Comics
Started as a choir and became out right painful with the no powers creepy 2nd Clark bullshit, I fucking HATE when they physically separate Clark from Superman.
> Reborn conceptually
Was fine with killing N52 Clark & at first I was indifferent to it but the more I think about it the more I am getting violently pissed the fuck off with them merging N52/Pre N52 Superman & erasing most of the N52 part of his history especially the SM/WW relationship & book which I strongly liked for at least the 1st 2 arcs. There is no god damn reason they could not just keep Pre N52 Clark in the New 52 universe.

> Wonder Woman
Slow but damn good, with phenomenal hyper detailed art by Liam Sharp making up for the good but bare minimum work of Cliff Chaing in her N52 book & Finch's detailed but inconsistent ass work.
Nicola Scott's work is decent but far from her best work & had poor overly orange coloring.
Evely did good work.
Fantastic sympathetic Cheetah character work that I pray they replicate in the Dceu.
>>
>>94723645

I will say, the art in Rebirth WW was consistently great, esp Bilquis Evely (sp?).
>>
>>94723123
Great question, hope the thread is still up when I get home.

Also, Roon anon has a lot of sisters! ;)
>>
I'm still enjoying Deathstroke, Wildstorm and Bug. I liked the first issue of Mr miracle and the latest issue of Doom Patrol, even though the first arc was meh. I'm still reading the rest of young animal(except mother panic) and Aquaman(picked this up since the current arc), mostly for the art. I tried almost everything else, but it sucked. I wish GA had a little better writing since the art is GOAT.
I'm excited for all of the upcoming Batman minis, WW and GL earth one and Mystik U. Will also try out Etrigan and Dark matter line.
>>
Still reading New Super-man, Deathstroke, and Hal n Pals

I don't pay for floppies but I do pay for digital

I am really looking forward to Green Lantern Earth One
>>
Still reading:
>Deathstroke
Good as usual
>Aquaman
Enjoying it
>Super Sons
Good start, but I found myself liking it a little less after a while
>Red Hood
I slogged through the shitshow that was Nu52 RHatO, and the rebirth stuff as been much much better so far I've found.

>Wonder Woman
good
>Superman
Some slow issues, some better issues, generally okay.
>Batman
There were some parts that I didn't like at ALL, but it did start off strong, and have some other interesting parts later on

Dropped:
>Green Arrow
Eh I know some people that like it but I dropped it pretty quick
>Justice League
taking a break from it for now, I didn't like where they took it at the start and I'm not really enjoying where they are taking it now

I kinda wanna get into Mister Miracle, people recommend it too me, but I'm not overly fussed on the character, but I will probably give it a go after the Metal event finishes
>>
>>94723123
My favorite is absolutely Tec. The two main artists, Eddy Barrows and especially Alvaro Martinez, are some of the absolute best working in cape comics today, and it started with pretty much my dream team, and the added characters are favorites as well (though I definitely miss Tim and Steph). It's not perfect, but it's the most enjoyable title and has been consistently.

Deathstroke is really excellent, but doesn't have quite as strong art. But it also has a really excellent characterization, and a strong relationship with continuity.

I loved Rucka's Wonder Woman, though not as much as his first run. Sharp's art was really technically strong, but Scott's is my favorite for some time.

Nightwing is fun, but not consistent enough to be a favorite, and I hate Fernandez's art.
>>
>>94723123
Oh, also forgot: yes, I do pay for floppies. Rebirth actually got me into a pull list for the first time in my life.

Really looking forward to the next few arcs of Tec, the Birds of Prey crossover with all the other titles, what's happening with Batman, Nightwing The New Order, even Gotham City Garage (if it's not too ridiculously feminist).
>>
File: 1476926108211.png (178KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1476926108211.png
178KB, 1200x1200px
>What are you still reading?
-Hal Jordan GLC- loving it and the only series I haven't considered dropping
-Green Lanterns- It slowly grew on me, glad to be enjoying both GL books
-Superman- I'm glad to be reading in the age of good Superman ongoings.
-Action Comics-same as above
-Bane Conquest- I'm a sucker for Chuck Dixon Batman stories.
>What have you dropped?
-Batman, was gonna drop it after I am Suicide, but I am Bane intrigued me, felt The Button was a good point to drop off
-Wonder Woman, I did enjoy the first two arcs I just wasn't invested enough to continue.
-Green Arrow, I loved it, wa great having Black Canary in Olie's life again, but like WW I just lost intrest
-I would but my LCS isn't exactly local. When I do go I do buy floppies or trades to support them though.
-The Terrifics, I miss the FF and this looks like it'll fill in that gap comics are missing
-Doomsday Clock, I was sold since DC Rebirth #1
-Shazam, been waiting since New 52 for his ongoing, Billy's my favorite and his time will come.
>>
>>94726510
>>94723469
>Deathstroke is really excellent, but doesn't have quite as strong art. But it also has a really excellent characterization, and a strong relationship with continuity.
>repair work on continutty
Fools, it's doing the opposite of that. Yeah, it makes cute pre-52 references, but it actively ignores and contradicts the two last volumes of the book. To name and example, Grant has died because of three different reasons so far.
>>
>>What are you still reading?
All Super family titles, even Supergirl and Superwoman
Batman
Tec
Batwoman
Red Hood
JL and JLA
GL
GA
Nightwing
Super Sons
Teen Titans
Injustice 2
And whatever minis and whatnot, like Mister Miracle

>>What have you dropped?
GLC
Flash
Cyborg
Titans

>>Do you actually pay for floppies anymore?
Only books that really needs the support like New Super-Man. The rest I buy online

>>What are you looking forward to?
Hoping NSM don't get axed. Also interested in the new elseworlds like Nightwing New Order, the newly announced Batman secret identity book, Etrigan and Zatanna books, and a bunch of others

Oh yeah, Superman and whore by Frank Miller is gonna be some shit to be witnessed
>>
>>94726609
>feminist
Strictry speaking, "too feminist" would mean it portrays the two genders equally. You mean too feminazi.
>>
>>94727004
>I'm glad to be reading in the age of good Superman ongoings.
t.casual
Read some Karl Kesel.
>>
File: Superman-6-spoilers-7.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Superman-6-spoilers-7.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>94727256
I did. And when I turned to the New 52 to read some modern Superman I was let down. At least in Rebirth I'm now looking forward to the next issue when reading Superman.
>>
>>94727177
Having skimmed the n52 Deathstroke, I meant exactly what I said - a "strong relationship" - not a slavish relationship, not just continuing the n52's idiotic choices to destroy the post-Crisis cast and relationships.
>>
>>94727236
Well, what I really meant was "Bombshells: where male heros FREAKING DON'T EXIST."
>>
>>94727671
Sorry m8, making nostalgia bait references while actively contradicting the most recent issues of the very book you're writing is the opposite of strong continuity.
>>
>>94727726
How many times do I have to repeat: strong relationship to continuity, not strong continuity. I agree: Priest threw n52 in the garbage. And good riddance. n52 Deathstroke was garbage.
>>
>>94723123
>favorite
Superman, Super Sons, New Super-Man, Deathsroke, Green Lanterns
>dropped
Batman, Detective Comics. (It's Batman, Batman will sell without me so it's in no danger). Wonder Woman (found it boring). Action Comics (that fucking Doomsday fight dragged on too long).
Mostly for Super Sons and New Super-man. Everything else I buy digitally or trade-wait.
The Terrifics looks good. I wish they would come out with a Shazam ongoing already.
>>
>>94723123

I finally borrowed the first trade of Aquaman and then read the following 12 or so issues till the end of the N.E.M.O. arc.

I found it tedious, implausible and predictable. Best summed up by Barry's one panel where he essentially says, "ah - acronym, so they're the bad guys?"

It just struck me as unimaginative, the politics in the WH unpredictable, the entire quasi Illuminati secret society thing has been overdone and the fact that the art was so bad in the first arc just put me off on further reading of Aquaman.

I really liked the stuff about Atlantis, the palace drama and world building. I'd rather have two arcs about that, the Deluge is kinda interesting (although home-grown terrorism is also getting over done and the fear of surface dwellers/mouth breathers is a bit old hat for Atlantis, so something interesting and unique here would have been better).
>>
I'm only buying Justice League, New Super-Man, Red Hood and Shade the Changing Girl
>>
>>94727256
Kesel's Superman isn't that good but Superboy is GOAT
>>
>>94730485
can't wait for those trades
>>
>>94723645

I thought Action Comics was too reductive with the Path of Doom arc - it should have been shorter, if they were going to do things like the Dino Island two parter and the Superman Reborn in four issues, Path of Doom could have two or three.

There were interesting ideas in the Trial of Lex Luthor but the two original characters created by Jurgen's were such unimaginative BS as to ruin anything that might have been worthwhile there.

Superman has been really good to great. I've been in most of the story-time conversations here and I think it's probably the best-loved and best received of the issues. The people that want video game comic books and a lot of punching and action are probably the only people that are disappointed.
>>
>>94727223
>>>What are you looking forward to?
>Hoping NSM don't get axed. Also interested in the new elseworlds like Nightwing New Order, the newly announced Batman secret identity book, Etrigan and Zatanna books, and a bunch of others

I'd also join the list of people praising New Super-Man and hoping that it gets to survive, even if it's in a form where they create a Chinese Justice League book or otherwise keep the character. There's no reason that an anthology Super Family book couldn't work in today's market especially with Lois going back to the Planet, and with Jimmy being pretty absent post Rebirth.

Once nice thing about the New 52 was that Jimmy was better used, he had more of a genuine friendship with Clark and he (and the other characterizations - even, for example, Cat Grant as a co-website owner with Clark) helped create some depth to Superman that wasn't seen, outside Clark and Lois, in the 2000-2010 years.

I'm all in favor of more Elseworld type books, I just wish Nightwing New Order came a bit past Metal. The Etrigan and Zantanna books are good first ideas with the DC push about putting out more minis and prestige format type books that they announced at SDCC.
>>
>>94731146
>The people that want video game comic books and a lot of punching and action are probably the only people that are disappointed.
I am such a person & I loved the book, it has a near perfect balance of Action & character focus.
>>
>>94723353
I am Bane is even worse than I Am Suicide.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.