[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lol at the normies.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 35

File: eclipse_science_2x.png (168KB, 1480x1068px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse_science_2x.png
168KB, 1480x1068px
Lol at the normies.
>>
I now understand the Insane Clown Posse Lyric about an unwillingness to talk to a scientist.
>>
>>94689030
>xkcd
That said, it is really impressive-looking and brings together a lot of astronomical movements into a super neat and iconic event.
In fact, how is it NOT 'scientific'? You can use it to study the effects of solar radiation under ususual conditions and shit, right? Reducing it to a thing in front of another thing is like saying you don't have to go to the birth of your son because childbirth happens all the time.
People in the sciences get riled up over all sorts of 'mundane' events, why stop here?
>>
>>94689030
Reminder that in 1919 a total solar eclipse provided the first experimental test for the theory of relativity. Not scientific my ass.
>>
>>94689770
Maybe because the scientific part of a solar eclipse is studied and resolved long before the eclipse actually happens?
>>
>>94689824
What will we learn from this one?
>>
>>94690880
there will be scientists doing some limited work on the physics of the sun's corona.

But the comic's right. For 99% of the people watching it's just going to look real cool.

There are going to be more people claiming the eclipse prove's the earth is flat than there will be people performing experiments.
>>
>>94690880
How many people can be in Missouri at once before the locals start genuinely losing their shit?
>>
>>94689824
>>94689770

The pic didn't say its not scientific though. Its saying you can appreciate it without being an expert scientist.
>>
>>94690974
>its not scientific

*it's not scientific
>>
>>94689824
The alt-text mentions that.
>>
>>94689030
isn't this every xkcd? Just more

>look at how stupid the normies are

And people laugh and agree assuming that makes them super smart and special too
>>
I thought they were getting as pretentious as possible with the observation that absolutely no one anywhere likes beer at all. It's just one massive conspiracy of people who think that they have to force it down constantly or else everyone around will think they are a faggot, but it is functionally impossible for someone to actually prefer the taste in any way.
>>
>>94690880
How much the solar system hates Hillary?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/08/01/the-solar-eclipse-coming-trump-country/Ldd7MhDroW1cdYCwCBoxbO/story.html?p1=BGMenu_Article
>>
I've noticed the one common thread in all these xkcd threads is that people are butthurt because the artist is smarter than they are.
>>
>>94691434
underage
>>
>>94691534
T. Randall Munroe
>>
>>94691534
Look, I don't care if he's smarter than me or not. Lots of people are smarter than me just from a numbers standpoint.
What I'm tired of is that this guy says things as if they're some sort of masterful revelation rather than hot opinions and patting himself on the back.
>>
>>94691555
wait, anon or the comic?
>>
>>94689030
>lol at the normies
>posts XKCD seriously
lol, indeed.
>>
>>94690959
Not a high threshold folks, look up Bleeding Kansas
>>
>>94691765
The faggot that is claiming no one can prefer the taste of beer
>>
File: cyberinfomantical.jpg (72KB, 616x197px) Image search: [Google]
cyberinfomantical.jpg
72KB, 616x197px
its hit or miss
>>
>>94691871
He was talking about the comic that does that, he wasn't advocating that himself. Reading comprehension son.
>>
>>94691916
>Reading comprehension son.

*Reading comprehension, son.
>>
That sounds basically like him bitching about something that vaguely annoyed him personally. Which is usually a clear sign of a cartoonist who's ran out of ideas.
>>
>>94689030
You're a fucking normie OP, posting this rando internet shit to bitch about from your cool sekrit klub. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>94691914
Hahahaha this is so funny I totally understand all those terms
>>
>>94689172
A scientist's cuntiness should never restrict one's search for knowledge. I was pretty disappointed with ICP's take on that.
>>
>female
>scientist
>>
>>94691916
read it again, it was presented as his (your) opinion

...samefag
>>
>>94692081
He was clearly elaborating on the nature of the comic, and I'm not him.
>>
File: 1310581525531.jpg (7KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1310581525531.jpg
7KB, 300x250px
>>94692113
oh course you are
>>
File: beer_2x.png (85KB, 1198x564px) Image search: [Google]
beer_2x.png
85KB, 1198x564px
>>
>>94692269
What a bastard.
>>
>>94692269
But was he wrong?
>>
>>94692302
Yes
>>
>>94692018
sorry you aren't the target audience for xkcd if you don't know all that shit, which the target audience seems to be engineers
>>
It was intentionally being obtuse. The scientist cared about the solar eclipse because it was cool. Compare that to the random asshole who just wants sciency things but doesn't know shit.
>>
>>94692502
>target audience seems to be engineers
I wonder what does it say about engineers sense of humor.
>>
>>94692581
That it's fucking trash.
t. engineer
>>
>>94692269
>anything's fine
>wow it tastes bad
>>
>>94692557
seems more like intentionally talking down to people
>>
>>94691534
Randall is a pretentious cunt and so are you
>>
>>94692651
It depends on how you take it. Technically he's right, the solar eclipse isn't more scientific than gravity. But that shouldn't rob you of the emotional value of seeing something rare and cool, no matter what assholes on the internet say.
>>
>>94692269
He's not wrong. Beer is what I drink when I can't taste it or mask it with other tastes, like food.
>>
File: xkcd-44.png (34KB, 683x254px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd-44.png
34KB, 683x254px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>94692502
>Target audience is people who learned a few phrases from an engineer

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>94693163
You could try other beers and attempt to find something that is agreeable to your palette. There are lots of different kinds of beers with all kinds of different flavors.

Alternatively, you could not be a cunt and just not drink beer if you don't like it.
>>
>>94693308
I honestly have no idea what he meant by that.
>>
>>94693308
He's so obsessed with sounding like the "Scientific Elite liberal" that anything used to criticize the stupidity of people that may be in his own circles is seen as nonsense. Despite him being totally infantile in his own approach as seen here >>94692269
>>
>>94691534
Hi Randall.
>>
>>94693308
What's with the shitty edit? I don't even know what the original was but I can tell someone edited that last panel.
>>
>>94691501
>That's for Pluto, you bitch.
>>
>>94689030
>guy on the left is kind and tries to share his passion about the current events with the eclipse with his friend who is a scientist by relating it to her interests
>girl splurges out like an autistic spaz but saying it's really not remarkable scientifically but it is still remarkable
is this guy not self aware at all?
>>
>>94693308
>Gets pissed when men cheat on women.
>Lets his GF sleep with whoever she wants and it's all good.
Lord have mercy on me. You gotta have massive self-esteem issues or something to be like this. Maybe his mom wasn't in his life, so he tolerates abusive relationships just to fill that gap?
>>
His strawmen are always either not sciencing hard enough or sciencing too hard
>>
File: steroids.png (35KB, 683x254px) Image search: [Google]
steroids.png
35KB, 683x254px
>>94693498
>>94693406
>>94693387
>>94693308
Looks like >>94693454 is right. It is an edit.
>>
>>94689030
The author sounds like a cunt and seems obsessed on how people perceive things.
Those comics say more about him than whatever point he tries to make.
>>
>>94693537
the original is even worse
>>
>>94693478
it doesn't look like that to me, the guy on the left its clearly a periodist, it sounds like they are trying to overblown the scientific importance of the eclipse while the on the right its clearly exited about the eclipse because you don't need something to be important or remarkable in order to enjoy it.
>>
>>94693537
That proves my point even more.

If you take abstractions of events out that far, You can complain about everything. It sounds like an autistic rant.
>>
>>94689030
>>94689172
>>94689770

>WHY AREN'T SCIENTISTS HYPED UP ABOUT THE ECLIPSE AS EVERYONE ELSE

Because eclipse's aren't new in the field, they aren't providing a huge amount of new data not already obtained, and most major deductions that can be obstained,

>>94690880

such as this one, can already be done. The comic points out that eclipse's are cool, but they aren't exactly valuable in terms of scientific knowledge as no-one's forming any new theories around them, or theories that rely on them for proof.

It's like asking an explosives expert whether bonfire night will revolutionise the industry, or whether chemists are excited about the potential of paracetamol. They're useful, and they do appreciate them, but they're aren't revolutionary.

There's going to be hell to pay when people actually research some scientific history, look up the ultra violet crisis, and start using 'but scientists were wrong about that, why can't they be wrong about this' for stupid reasons like climate change denial or fucking their dog.
>>
>>94693370
I've tried a lot of kinds of beer, and it's just part of the taste that makes them beer that I don't like. Cider is fine, but I find it kind of boring, and any actual liquor is fine by me.
>>
>>94693617

*eclipses
*obtained
*have already been done
*eclipses

Fuck I'm tired.

>>94692269

Maybe it's more of a play on peer pressure, rather than beer itself? I mean, US beer is pretty poor, but that's no reason for /co/ to trigger themselves over a comic strip every thread.
>>
The eclipse actually WILL be used for science, as this is an almost once-in-a-lifetime chance for some scientists to attempt to recreate an experiment regarding Einstein's theory of relativity:

https://hackaday.com/2017/08/16/eclipse-2017-was-einstein-right/
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/my-do-it-yourself-relativity-test/
>The physics community took a keen interest in Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity and began looking for ways to prove it. One of the predictions of the theory is gravitational lensing, or the deflection of light by massive bodies (lensing is also a prediction of Newtonian physics, but Einstein’s field equations predict about twice the deflection of light as the classical model). Measuring this effect, though, is no mean feat, mainly because the one thing massive enough and close enough to quantifiably bend light also happens to be really bright itself — the Sun.

>What was needed was a total solar eclipse, and conveniently enough, one would occur in May of 1919. With only four years to go, and with the world torn by war, Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington planned a scientific expedition to the island of Principe off the west coast of Africa. He took a series of photographs of stars in the Hyades cluster, and through careful measurement found that Einstein’s predictions were correct. The publication of his results the next year made a huge splash in the popular press, instantly catapulting Einstein into the public eye and kicking off the age of Relativity.

The article notes that general/spatial relativity are confirmed on a second-by-second basis with every ping of a smartphone's GPS signal, but fuck it, why not go for broke.
>>
>>94693578
I mean I guess there are some people going on about the science of it but almost everything I've seen is talking about the emotional and rarity of it not necessarily the scientific value. Sounds like something Randall just made up to get mad about in the opposite direction.

Normally all his comics are about people hating science or not being engaged with it but now he's flipping it around trying to make himself and other scientists out as the normal people. "Why can't they just enjoy the spectacle there's really not much science to do, truly the unwashed masses are terribly mistaken with their perspective."
>>
File: Assigned-Male.jpg (214KB, 2048x1099px) Image search: [Google]
Assigned-Male.jpg
214KB, 2048x1099px
Well /co/ ?
>>
>>94693911
Boy they all do talk just like regular 8 year olds.
>>
>>94693735
Anon, scientists are normal people like you or me, they are just so obssesed about something they made it their job, they are not necessarily smarter, but they do are more educated and journalists overblows the scientific importance of events all the time, its how they get clicks and links to their pages.
I agree Randall comes as an asshole more times than not but I also think that most of the backslash he receives comes from people threatened by his "intelligence"
>>
>>94694082
>backslash
I'll bet you're the sort of faggot who says "diamond dozen"
Just kidding, friend, we all make mistakes from time to time
>>
>>94693578
I mean the actual science behind it is pretty insane. The ratio of the size of the sun, moon, earth and the distances between them line up perfectly to make it happen. Scientifically it is actually remarkable and makes xkcd sound like an idiot for saying its not
>>
>>94694082
>scientists are normal people

Yeah, I know that, Randall doesn't seem to. He constantly puts them on a pedestal showing how they're the only people with any sense because of their rigorous focus rationality and science. I was saying this specific comic is flipping that message around instead calling out the general public as too "science focused" or focused on just the surface level while scientists, the true great people of the world, are actually appreciating the beauty and rarity of the event.

Though now that I think about it there are a couple of comics where it comes off as scientists are the only people who can truly appreciate the wonder of the natural world so I guess it kind of is line with that. It's just funny how this comic is saying the general public is too focused on science while the scientists are the one appreciating things without over analyzing.
>>
>>94693911
Are they saying that guys are aloud to go pantless?
>>
>>94694240
I think the point is there's not much new data and what not to be gained from this specific eclipse. There have been quite a bunch of eclipses in the modern day we've been able to analyze and gain knowledge from, this one isn't really that special other than the fact that a lot of people in the United States will be able to see it.
>>
>>94694297
isn't it the first one in a couple hundred years to go across the entire US? Seems special
>>
>>94694320
Been 99 years since that last one went through the entire continental US. And yeah that's special but only insofar as it allows much more people in a highly populated country to see it, not because of the scientific value of it.
>>
>>94694410
I mean shit dude, at the end of the day everything is not special. It's made special by being rare. Infrequent. I'd say not occurring for 99 years is rare.
>>
>>94694240
>The ratio of the size of the sun, moon, earth and the distances between them line up perfectly
For some definitions of "perfect". It'll keep being pretty good for millions of years.
>>
File: yas queen slay.jpg (186KB, 1280x687px) Image search: [Google]
yas queen slay.jpg
186KB, 1280x687px
>>94693911
L O L
>>
>>94694441
Yes, I am agreeing with you. I was saying the point Randall is making in the comic is that scientifically it's not that special and yet somehow normies keep focusing on the science of it and just won't accept the wonder and beauty of a rare celestial event. That's what the comic is saying.

However it really seems barely anyone is talking about the science of it and everyone is focused on being able to see the rare celestial event because it looks cool as fuck which I feel is the actual general response.

So the point is Randall is sucking off scientists' dicks about how great they are and how much they appreciate natural beauty.
>>
File: 1502160786085.png (290KB, 600x615px) Image search: [Google]
1502160786085.png
290KB, 600x615px
Will I become as much of an ass as Randall if I study in any scientific field? Sounds spooky
>>
>>94692176
you're a retard and
>>94691434
i really don't get people who think beer doesn't taste good. the first time i had it in my teens i was like "damn this shit is good". i think it's people who haven't grown out of their "yummy phase" where everything they eat needs to be super saturated with sugar or salt.
>>
>>94694629
There is a lot of shit tasting beer though Anon, it's very easy for people to grow up only drinking the big name brands which by and large are pretty shit.
>>
>>94694717
that's like saying it's justifiable to write of all coffee because you had some shit gas station coffee (although teebeehache i love gas station coffee)
basically it's just losers with no agency who write something off because they can't be assed to spend a little bit of effort to find something good. which i'm sure randall is
>>
>>94692269
beer doesnt taste bad lol
>>
>>94694774
Yeah it's dumb but that shit happens super often and the specific thing that was said was
>i really don't get people who think beer doesn't taste good.

My response was, bad first experiences prevented them from ever pursuing it. It's very easy for a teen to go all through college partying with shitty beer, they think they've got a decent grasp on things I mean they've been drinking beer for 4 years now, surely they have a decent idea and decided to stop drinking beer.

Randall's point, as always, is pretentious as fuck. He's the above guy who doesn't listen to the guy who actually enjoys beer and is trying to explain how they only drank shit and how about you give this one a try. Randall refuses "knowing" all beer is shit and clearly this beer drinker must just be pretending to like beer for cool points or something.
>>
>>94694629

>I can't possibly comprehend that other people like different tastes than I do
>>
File: 1502176697837.jpg (262KB, 990x712px) Image search: [Google]
1502176697837.jpg
262KB, 990x712px
LOL
>>
>>94694245
But the "general public" in this comic isn't focusing on science at all.

This is the equivalent of the "My lifelong favorite Marvel character is Batman" normies that /co/'s always complaining about.
>>
File: 1501781506376.jpg (100KB, 960x689px) Image search: [Google]
1501781506376.jpg
100KB, 960x689px
>>
>>
>>94694968
How much of a hack can a man get? He was sucking Trumboli's cock till the other day.
>>
>>94694968
Wait, isn't this Ben "Gas 'em All' Garrison? The fuck?
>>
File: 803.jpg (158KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
803.jpg
158KB, 960x720px
>>94695072
>>94695097
He's with the good guys now
>>
>>94692581
just read Dilbert
>>
>>94694972
What? Perhaps I should have said "non-scientific public" but it's pretty clear. You've got the journalist and the scientist. The stand in for the layman public and the science community. The journalist is focused all on the science part of it

>Is this a big moment for science?
>Will you be making any scientific observations?

Journalists are supposed to ask questions the public wants the answer to, so in Randall's estimation the public is obsessed with the science of it. Meanwhile the real people, the scientists, are just wanting to experience it, not trying to science it.
>>
>>94693537
I thought steroids were banned because excessive use causes health problems, and allowing them would force all players to submit themselves to them in order to stay competitive.
>>
>>94694968
>>94695129
Oh, they're just edits.

I'd not be all that surprised if he changed his mind all of a sudden, a good chunk of the alt-right is getting fed up with Trumples.
>>
>>94695009
>No testicles in the head's mouth
I'm disappointed
>>
>>94695033
Didn't the outdated stereotypical Italian dialect originally appear in a pinball machine in 1992?
>>
>>94695198
Steroids were banned because of moralfaggots. Arnold Schwarzenegger has taken a shitload of steroids and hes fine.

It used to be completely normal for body builders to take hormone supplements. Now you have to be a trannyfaggot to get some
>>
>>94695237
Took you long enough to figure it out. I mean does the hair on >>94694968 really look like it's supposed to be there?
>>
File: 1488263141238.jpg (145KB, 780x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488263141238.jpg
145KB, 780x800px
lol
>>
>>94695572
>"We have a moral duty to redistribute our wealth", said the socialist, "so I work to dismantle power structures that allow wealth to collect in the hands of small groups of people"

I helped :)
>>
File: 1502599614923.png (139KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
1502599614923.png
139KB, 600x888px
>>
All these intelligent people are too dumb to understand that this eclipse is the perfect opportunity to stop the Fire Kingdom
>>
>>94695637
>so I work
Lol good one.
>>
>>94689030
One in a lifetime? I could have sworn there was a solar eclipse like, twenty years ago.
>>
File: 1402077494619.jpg (247KB, 900x423px) Image search: [Google]
1402077494619.jpg
247KB, 900x423px
>>
File: 2015-07-31-266_DrugUse.jpg (391KB, 750x1102px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-31-266_DrugUse.jpg
391KB, 750x1102px
>>
File: 1335039315712.gif (171KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1335039315712.gif
171KB, 600x600px
>>
>>94695637
Ideologies aside, I've been wondering how wealth and currency actually work. Supposedly, if we started paying everyone twice the amount of money they make now for the same workload, what would happen?
>>
>>94692302
Objectively yes.
Beer is an acquired taste, and loads of people genuinely enjoy it, myself included. Of course there are also some people, often very young, who haven't acquired the taste yet but feel pressured to pretend they like it in order to appear more manly or adult. These naive fools then imagine that their tastes are the universal norm, and if they don't like thing x surely no-one else can genuinely like it either, and often embarass themselves by smugly insisting that no-one really likes beer, wine, whisky, coffee etc and everyone is just pretending
>>
>>94696107
Hmm, you sure seem to feel the need to defend the taste of beer.
>>
>>94693163
Why do you consume something you don't like? Just order a vodka + mixer or drink water
>>
>>94696044
Mass inflation. The price of everything would double (more or less).
>>
File: 1502318651896.png (262KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502318651896.png
262KB, 500x600px
>>94694968
>>94695129
>Garrison's comics were edited to be racist and super right wing
>Garrison sold out and started making right wing comics for a quick buck
>Now his comics are edited to critique the racist and right wing
How far are we taking this
This man's work is not his own
>>
>>94694629
People just have different tastes, its not that complicated. You are going from one extreme to the other.
>>
>>94695637
>socialist
>work

KEK
>>
File: 1409340939664.png (220KB, 321x333px) Image search: [Google]
1409340939664.png
220KB, 321x333px
>can't get away from work on the 21st to go south for the eclipse
>stuck with shitty partial eclipse instead
>>
>>94696180
There is no Garrison. Not any more.
>>
>>94694464
someone edit this so the boy is smiling in the last panel
>>
>>94695468
plus they didn't change the title.
>>
Of course the scientist is female. I hope Randall Monroe dies, but I hope he is disgraced or publicly humiliated in some entertaining fashion first.
>>
>>94696107
>comparing pisswater to wine
just stop
>>
>>94696298
I thought it was just a Sagan like haircut.
>>
>>94696174
Yes, what I suggested by definition causes inflation. What I'm interested in is if devalvation of a currency could sell otherwise unsold goods and especially food to consumers instead of throwing it out to a landfill.
>>
File: wonka face.png (14KB, 906x745px) Image search: [Google]
wonka face.png
14KB, 906x745px
>All the butthurt anti-intellectuals in this thread
>>
>>94696152
Invariably the people who insist that everyone in the world ACTUALLY dislikes beer and the people who say they like it are just pretending tend to be either very young or a bit dim, because anyone with a brain would grasp that people have different tastes, such is life

Also everyone finds acquired tastes like coffee, wine, beer, whisky, strong cheeses etc awful when they're children, but that changes over time. It's why they're "acquired". I thought beer tasted like shit when I was a teenager too, but now find it delicious. Well most kinds, anyway.

So naively claiming that "everyone" hates beer and just pretends to like it for appearances just comes across like a very juvenile opinion, because many people actually acted like that when they're teenagers, in my experience
>>
>>94696380
You really do have a lot to say about this. I wonder what that means.
>>
I like light beers.

Guinness is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>94696298
>Of course the scientist is female.
That's not even a real problem for you to be troubled about.
>>
>>94696348
No, nothing changes in the long-term. Food is wasted because supply outstrips demand, not a lack of consumer funds. Many, MANY problems cannot be solved by simple economics because they are social issues.
>>
>>94694269
Yes anon. Try it out later today when you go to the store.
>>
>>94691534
nice try but I'm Rick Sanchez I think I know a little bit more about science than you

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB! I'M PICKLE RICK!
>>
>>94694464
How will that guy ever recover? Oh right. He can actually type tranny without censoring it because it's not an expletive.
>>
>>94696414
It means I like writing and tend to always be overly long-winded in my posts, alas
>>
>>94692269
Queer's Beer and Fear
>>
>>94696516
It's okay, we'll pretend we like it too.
>>
>>94696460
>Food is wasted because supply outstrips demand, not a lack of consumer funds.
but there's a huge demand in 3rd world nations

It's clear that the world economy doesn't work off the demand and supply model anymore
>>
File: kekkinator.png (260KB, 693x413px) Image search: [Google]
kekkinator.png
260KB, 693x413px
>>94696577
>pretends to like things they dislike for appearances
is it hard to move without a spine
>>
>>94695724
Someone draw porn of them
>>
>>94693308
>pedophilia offending men
that does sound bad
>>
>>94696621
Yes it does. We give countless amount to these countries every year. It destroys their local economies since there is no incentive to be a farmer when you can't sell your crops, thus they become reliant on the aid and are stuck in a paradigm where they can't move on to an industrial age from agricultural.

"Demand" for essential goods like food is inelastic (hard to change, very constant). You can give it away but then supply will die off.
>>
>>94696759
You're right about how 3rd world countries are impacted. I still insist that demand and supply are ridiculously different concepts from what they were 50 years ago.

Im sorry but I have matters to tend to now. I hope to speak to someone as smart as you again on this site.
>>
>>94696883
Sure thing. Remember that economics is not some ancient discipline, it is very much active and openly researched and debated throughout the world. The supply and demand concepts are not archaic in the least and are always being revised, the core concepts won't change as long as humanity doesn't.
>>
>>94694464

This is actually funny
>>
File: Bowmans_revelation.jpg (70KB, 1128x839px) Image search: [Google]
Bowmans_revelation.jpg
70KB, 1128x839px
>>94696231
>Got the day off on the 21st
>work until at least 9pm on the 20th
>it's a 10 hour drive to the path of totality
>Still can't find those stupid fucking Eclipse Glasses.

I just wanna see the moon blot out the freaking sun, goddamnit.
>>
>>94695757
>I AM SILLY
>>
>>94697177
Go to your local library. They might be giving out pairs of the glasses.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/libraries
>>
>>94697177
You actually don't need eye protection to look at the eclipse during totality. Eclipse glasses are only necessary during the partial phases before and after, when the sun is brighter.

In addition to >>94697360 suggestion, you can also just grab a piece of #12 welder's glass from any hardware store.
>>
File: 1502909913644.jpg (308KB, 1280x687px) Image search: [Google]
1502909913644.jpg
308KB, 1280x687px
>>94696245
>>
>>94696668
this, I need /ss/ of these two pronto
>>
>>94691534
>get a physics degree from a shit-tier university
>work as a contract slave for NASA in cheap stem labor
>get kicked out because you even suck at it
To be honest, his life was quite bad before he started to write webcomics for pretentious high schoolers.
>>
File: shiva_082216120221.png (389KB, 647x282px) Image search: [Google]
shiva_082216120221.png
389KB, 647x282px
>>94690880
We'll learn what CERN has been up to all these years
>>
>>94697644
Aren't they too embarassed to tell the public that their entire experiment was a huge failure?
>>
>>94697630
>get kicked out because you even suck at it
Did he do that?
>>
>>94697730
He worked as a contract programmer for NASA, apparently they didn't renew his contract because he was either too bad or just a liability for them.
>>
File: file.png (111KB, 740x633px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
111KB, 740x633px
Lol i sure hope you voted for Clinton just like other intelligent human beings.
>>
>>94697777
Those sevens tho! Coveted quads!
>>
>>94697949
I'm definitely more intelligent than this twat.
>>
>>94697949
>After this comic there have been a clear trend that Randall has had sad thoughts after the election of Trump.
>Over the next few months after the election (at least up till just after Donald Trump’s inauguration) Randall has posted (at least) five comics that could be interpreted as him being sad/angry or that people around him are acting in such a way.
>Not since Randall's wife's cancer diagnosis has there been so many sad/negative or depressing comics.

>my wife dies
>i dont care!
>trump wins
>its beat down! time!
>>
>>94698004
>Not since Randall's wife's cancer diagnosis
awww, look at the poor, poor Randy
can't the little fucker just science her cancer away with his 600 IQ?
>>
File: 745.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
745.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>94691534
Why is this board so goddamn easy to bait
>>
>>94697949
I've never understood the "I'm with her" mentality. The whole purpose of elevating somebody to a public office is to serve the public. Rather than being with a candidate, the candidate should be with us.
>>
>>94698142
You sound so butthurt I couldn't help but burst out laughing.
>>
whoa... science...
>>
What always really irks me about these comics is that most of the time they could suffice as some blogpost. I get the impression people like him just make their opinions into comics because they think that presenting it in an ""artistic/creative"" way somehow gives their argument more validity. But in Randall's case he goes for the creativity points in the laziest manner possible, with fucking stick figures. Is he actually a competent artist in any regard outside of stick people?
>>
SMBC is better in art and humor, and is far less pretentious.
>>
>>94698241
The Clinton campaign was run by a gaggle of infighting retards. I'm With Her is a great hashtag or soundbite for a commercial, but it's a terrible slogan.
>>
>>94695648
Oh shit. I get it.
>>
>>94698241
>Is she with you?
>no lol
>>
>>94696668
The artist does it himself
>>
>>94697531
That looks more like disbelief than arrousal
Needs his tongue sticking out
>>
File: 1502500754558.png (100KB, 207x296px) Image search: [Google]
1502500754558.png
100KB, 207x296px
>>94694464
>tr*nny
k
>>
>>94691534
Genuinely intelligent people know how to show off their prowess without coming off like tools.
>>
>>94696577
Good. More for me.
>>
>>94699062
>arrousal
>>
>>94701023
shiver me timbers
>>
>>94696484
Hi, Reddit.
>>
>>94694547
Hopefully not, friend.
>>
>>94696440
It is now.
>>
>>94701413
hi
>>
>>94702037
Hi! Whatcha' have for dinner?
>>
>>94695711
once in a lifetime if you live in America and not specifically seeking out an eclipse
>>
>>94689030
>>
>>94702307
>He doesn't know 2+2 = 4
LOL.
>>
>>94702169
Nothing yet. You want to cook for me?
>>
>>94702391
Sure, honey. What do you want?
>>
>>94690959
so long as those hunkies aren't after our lead, it's cool.
>>
>>94689030
I'm in the path of totality, and the most I've heard scientists say about is "Don't stare at it until totality begins and stop staring as soon as it ends".

the radio had a little bit on how ancient cultures freaked out about them, which was cool
>>
>>94702447
I'm in the mood for some Italian. How about you?
>>
>>94692302
>i don't like x, so clearly everyone else is just pretending to like x
you decide
>>
>>94691534
Fuck off Randy.
>>
>>94702534
That sounds dreamy. You want some lasagna?
>>
>>94702579
Go for it.
>>
>>94702630
Hmmm... anything special you'd like on it tonight, sweetie?
>>
>>94702661
You. And some cheese.
>>
>>94702743
How aggressive. Though I'm all for it... Goodbye, honey, come back soon.
>>
>>94697949
randall sure loves war
>>
File: 1501884605770.jpg (154KB, 1046x904px) Image search: [Google]
1501884605770.jpg
154KB, 1046x904px
LOL
>>
>>94702794
This better not end before the sex scene.
>>
>>94703415
Hot.
>>
>>94703442
Lewd!
>>
>>94694464
>>94693911
This art style will never not baffle me.
>>
>>94703758
Why?
>>
>>94703818
Because it is it's own unique kind of ugly. It disgusts me almost the same way that Moon Over June did, but not as bad.
>>
>>94692269
>If you don't like it don't drink it
>No, No I have to waste your beer for the sake of passive aggression!
>>
>>94694968
>Trump
>neocon
There are debatablely a lot of labels you can apply to Trump but that objectively isn't one of them.
>>
>>94690880
Who the new member of the Godhand will be.
>>
>>94704140
Political cartoons aren't about accuracy.
>>
>>94695724
>>94696668
>>94697629
OK, so now the 2nd panel is something like her saying "sure" and taking off her clothes, right? It's funny because the kid wants some food but he'll get the fucking of his life instead haha
>>
>>94696044
Instead of guessing you could just read a book about economics.
>>
>>94705325
Which book is best and doesn't have lies in it?
>>
>>94694899
except he did try it and he still didn't like it
honestly I think it might be autism, I'm autism and I have weirdly specific tastes, and I can't stand beer or wine because they smell like vomit but I'm OK with liquor
>>
>>94704076
more like for the sake of fitting in and being friendly
the guy said he was no fun so he went back on it
>>
>>94696107
if you have to acquire a taste for it then it's already not as good as things anyone can enjoy
>>
>>94689172
FUCKING
MAGNETS
>>
>>94696653
you'd be surprised how much normies actually are beta
>>
>>94696380
>Also everyone finds acquired tastes like coffee, wine, beer, whisky, strong cheeses etc awful when they're children, but that changes over time. It's why they're "acquired". I thought beer tasted like shit when I was a teenager too, but now find it delicious.
but how did you acquire that taste? no one ever seems to say how that's supposed to happen
>>
>>94693612
I do believe that's the point
>>
>>94689030
I've never kept up with XKCD (That's the name right?)

Is it just all deadpan science stuff or does it get topical/political?
>>
>>94706557
>and being friendly
He's intentionally being an ass though.
>>
>>94695572
>so I pay my taxes
>so I donate to charity
>so I donate to artists I like
>so I help out my family and friends financially
>>
>>94706836
not if he really believes his friend is just pretending so he can keep up appearances
>>
File: 1486332818469.png (8KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1486332818469.png
8KB, 203x209px
>>94690929
I know flat earthers are.... special

but how, exactly, would a thing in the sky covering up another thing """"""""""prove"""""""""" flat earth?
>>
>>94707208
The fuck is wrong with top-right?
>>
File: garbage chute.jpg (199KB, 735x731px) Image search: [Google]
garbage chute.jpg
199KB, 735x731px
>>94707280
>not wanting to fuck the cute trap
>>
>>94707333
Nobody said anything about traps. Traps have dicks, so you have something to work with. Trannies have weird inverted sock-penises. Ain't nobody want any part of that.
>>
>>94707333
Traps are gay
>>
>>94707482
You're gay you homo.
>>
File: file.png (804KB, 606x859px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
804KB, 606x859px
>>94706983
It proves that the sun is actually tiny and close to Earth. How could such a massive object be covered up?
Flat earthers literally believe that clouds being able to block the sun for 1 city proves them right. It's basically impossible to argue with them because for anything you could bring up they'll have a dozen other crazy idiotic ideas that "contradict" your premise
>>
combining comics and politics was a mistake
>>
>>94707651
If the source of light is bigger than the object casting the shadow then the inverse is true. The shadow can only be smaller than the object casting it.
>>
>>94689030
What? Pop sci fags are idiots and should be ridiculed as much as possible.
>>
>>94694464
can someone swap the kids faces?
>>
>>94699401
*genuinely intelligent people without glaring personality flaws
>>
>>94706602
magnets, bitch!
>>
>>94692018
You realize that's a parody of xkcd, right?
>>
>>94694269
>aloud
>>
>>94693911
>Well /co/?

Well enough.
>>
>>94691534
This. I'm not going to say that XKCD is consistently funny (it isn't), but treating any mention of words or concepts you're unfamiliar with as an attempt to show off is the sign of a brainlet.
>>
>>94706639
You drink it for a while and after that while you learn to tell the nuances. It's what whiskey, wine afictionados get all autistic about, trying to taste out the most finest notes that got drawn into the liquid through its storage in wooden barrels and shit.

This is why German beer culture is invariably better than anybody elses' beer culture. Everyone over here starts drinking beer at age 16 and will have a well-developed palate for the stuff by the time they turn 21. Meanwhile, in the USA, shit like Bud Light is actually allowed to exist without having the brewery torched within days.
>>
>>94708234
I wanna cum all over that tongue.
>>
>>94708262
i understand all the shit hes pushing in his webcomic since im in the same line of work but its extremely tiring to read that or be around people who constantly go "yeah science dude" and feel superior because of their knowledge.
>>
>>94707707
No.
>>
>>94694240
Perfect my ass. The moon is steadily moving away from Earth and we are just living at the right time to see and observe eclipses. It's just one big coincidence.
>>
>>94698241
It was probably the worst campaign slogan imaginable and fed into the perception that Clinton thought she was owed the Presidency.
>>
>>94689030
Just a quick reminder that looking directly at a solar eclipse, even with sunglasses, is actually really dangerous and can fuck up your vision permanently.

Stay safe, /co/mrades.
>>
>>94706639
Not a clue. People say 'Oh you've got to acquire the taste!' But it was a matter of trying coffee, beer, etc once and not liking it, then years later, trying it again and finding I really like them.
>>
>>94709423
Well Calvin as you grow older, you wear out your tastebuds, so you need stronger stimuli.
>>
>>94709423
Some things are acquired tastes, but peoples' tastes naturally trend as they get older anyways. most people don't have the sweet tooth they did when they were younger, but have a much higher preference for bitter/stronger things.
>>
>>94689030
In /r9k/'s early days I remember them being enamored with the comic.
>>
>>94695259
I think the first Mario official voice was in Mario teaches typing in 1994.
>>
>>94706639
the older you get the less sensitive your tongue becomes to bitterness, this happens faster with some people than others
>>
>>94692047
I was forced to listen to ICP for a year straight and I was pretty disappointed with them in general.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n92wbpFaP11sho0hi.jpg (164KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n92wbpFaP11sho0hi.jpg
164KB, 500x422px
>>94692269
Hey you can drink literally anything else in the fridge you hyper-autist there is no pressure to drink beer.

The fact that somebody would conflate an opinion on taste to literally everybody and all society is playing along with a joke only he is privy to is the worst case of arrogence I can imagine.
The sheer fucking hubris of it, to think that if you dont like it everybody hates it, nobody could ever like it and the invisible hand is making people drink beer because memes.
I've seen this before but im still mad, I will always be mad, fuck you for making me see this again
>>
>>94692269
Lol, this webcomic never fails to trigger closeted alcoholics. The best part is that their point of view is validated in the last panel, by pointing out how irrational was Randal's speculation (I don't like beer=no one likes beer).

Learn to read, kids.
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.