[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

What went wrong?
>>
Nothing, it was an excellent adaptation. One of the last good DC animated movies
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJ1SWNy4vo
they devolved
>>
>>94682870
This
>>
>>94682808
The animation, score, and intensity were butchered entirely by Weller phoning it in.
>>
>>94682808
It was a 1:1 adaptation of the source material.

That's why it sucked.

okay, music was good
>>
>>94683271
You mean the comic had joker sounding like such a faggot too?
why didn't they just get Hamill and Conroy for fucks sake
>>
>>94683453
Really Nigga
>>
>>94683519
?
>>
What's the best animated batman movie?
>>
>>94683593
The Batman beyond one
>>
>>94683614
Yeah, it's either that or Red Hood for me.
>>
>>94683564
Why birng in Hamil and Conroy they do this almost every time that it becomed boring and old. Weller and Emerson did a good job providing the voices for Batman and The Joker
>>
>>94683593
Return of the Caped Crusaders
>>
>>94683668
because they are pretty much what people think of when they think of the joker or Batman voice, I do think the movie would have been a lot more successful if they were voicing. Besides they both love to do those characters
>>
>>94683453
his first word is calling Batman Darling, of course it did
>>
>>94682808
>Korean slave animation
>shit voiceacting from Robocop

It was alright.
>>
>>94683246
I thought he sounded fine
>>
>>94683742
Anon you make a valid point
>>
File: Carrie Kelley - Robin.jpg (138KB, 463x723px) Image search: [Google]
Carrie Kelley - Robin.jpg
138KB, 463x723px
>>94683271
Naw, they added/changed stuff they had no reason to, I distinctly recall the Batman vs. Superman battle in the end being a lot bigger and dumber, much like BvS, when in the comic it's just an intense street brawl.

And they removed Batman's inner monologue from most of the movie(s), which is retarded. Robert Rodriguez's Frank Miller's Sin City proved you can do Miller's noir-style monologues in an action movie and make it work. Instead, they left it out and moments of exposition that were originally internal monologue are now external dialogue - like Batman explaining a bomb to some random goon instead of just, y'know, knocking him out.

Or leaving out the "I see... a reflection, Harvey." line.

Even the lines that are unchanged, like pic related, have their delivery fucked with. Look at how the art and the size of the speech bubble relative to the words conveys that she's practically whispering the words, and realizing the size of the pixie-boot-prints she's walking in.

In the movie it was just a I'M A TOUGH GURL GRRRL defiant delivery, and that little humanizing moment is lost.
>>
Should have been Adam West
https://youtu.be/RZ211GBe6e0
>>
test
>>
File: DarkKnightReturns.jpg (764KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DarkKnightReturns.jpg
764KB, 1920x1080px
Literally nothing?
>>
>>94683742
yeah, but this was different from their standard batman/joker story, so i think it called for something/someone different.
>>
>>94682875
the fuck is this from?
>>
>>94682808
Part 2 was lackluster.
>>
>>94684328
batman the animated series dude
>>
Making a movie out of something that is famous for the distinctive art and paneling.
>>
>>94684669
let's just add on "published in 1986" and make the comparison less subtle
>>
File: year-one-e1458553864204.jpg (112KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
year-one-e1458553864204.jpg
112KB, 600x800px
Part of my problem with Warner Animation's adaptations is that they make no REAL effort to capture the style of the original material.

I mean, they'll use different character designs and different palettes, but it's always the same kinda super digital looking hogwash. Maybe anime has spoiled me, but I'm used to a bit more of a creative approach when it comes to adapting less cut-and-dry art styles.

It's all very workmanlike. Never inspired. Never makes you go "Oh shit, it's like soandso's art but in motion." Which is doubly disappointing when you have artists with distinct styles like Miller

Not to mention that the audio package is also kinda underwhelming. There was a good opportunity to go for a weird anachronistic faux 80s dark synth sound (which would be material-appropriate for once instead of just coming across as nostalgia bait) but instead we just get generic ass music.

I guess what I'm saying is these flicks are not bad, but they're nowhere near what they COULD be
>>
Seconded on the lack of internal monologues: that's the key to the entire thing! Plus, there could have been more of an effort to capture the tempo of the comic better -- the 4X4 grid featured many more possible shots to use -- as a result the pacing's far more sluggish than the book (I remember the media breaks not really working that well in the movie because of this).

Weller's a good choice on paper due to Dark Knight Returns' influence on and connection to Robocop, but the performance is flat and tone-deaf. (You get the feeling he looked down on and/or didn't get the material).

Conroy or even better the great Michael Ironside -- (think of his voice in a growling semi-whisper doing some of the internal monologues!) -- should have done the role.
>>
>>94684736
this
>>
>>94682870
what he said, what's your problem with it?
>>
>>94682808
They didn't announce TDKSA.
>>
>>94687257
not yet, they didn't
>>
>>94684736
>There was a good opportunity to go for a weird anachronistic faux 80s dark synth sound (which would be material-appropriate for once instead of just coming across as nostalgia bait) but instead we just get generic ass music.

Motherfucker there IS 80's synth in the movie's soundtrack.
>>
>>94683453
It's good for variety, I mean, why would you stuck to just one iteration of your favorite characters when you can have hundreds of them to expand and explore the different aspects that make them cool?
>>
>>94682808

Batgod is a shitty meme character?
>>
>>94682808
It would've been perfect if Adam West had voiced Batman in it. Weller did an amazing job though.
>>
File: 1500735886677.jpg (171KB, 649x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500735886677.jpg
171KB, 649x1024px
>>94687257
Fuck, I'd kill for a faithful adaptation of that fever dream of a comic.
Just imagine this shit in motion.
>>
>>94683742
>they're pretty much what people think of

This kind of mentality is a shortcut to actually thinking ABOUT casting, and the reason why Conroy and Hamill get jobs where they can just phone it in like in Killing Joke.
>>
>>94684736
This dude just explained everything I hate about comic-to-animation adaptions. Instead of seeing Miller's lumpy, fluid character designs, which convey shit tons of motion on their own, particularly in TDKR, you get a flash animation of someone tracing his character sheet.

It's embarrassing when a still image can convey fluid motion better than a motion picture.
>>
>>94687986
Yeah, I was about to ask what movie he had watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0JjJc8j8I
>>
Nothing, but you can't translate internal monologue too well into an animated movie and so the adaptation suffers.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.