[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The greatest comic ever made?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

The greatest comic ever made?
>>
>>94665168
kek
>>
>>94665175
>>
>>94665188
Watchmen.

Just kidding, the real answer is none, because it's entirely subjective
>>
>>94665168
/co/ literally only hates it because Tumblr likes it, nevermind that there are plenty of other overhyped and shit comics
>>
>>94665225
the art is nice but the plot is trite, and the characters, such as they are, are pretty shallow.

also it's a BKV comic so the ending will probably be stupid and make me mad.
>>
File: 01-battle-stomper.jpg (301KB, 700x533px) Image search: [Google]
01-battle-stomper.jpg
301KB, 700x533px
>>94665243
The art is quite nice
>>
>>94665225
I don't personally hate it, that's a strong feeling to have for a comic, but greatest "x" ever made is a stupid sentence.

I know it's just a shitpost, but still
>>
File: saga25_wrap_1171x900.jpg (825KB, 1171x900px) Image search: [Google]
saga25_wrap_1171x900.jpg
825KB, 1171x900px
>>
>>94665214
incorrect, The Incredible Hercules is objectively the greatest comic ever made
>>
>>94665266
I'd like this comic a lot more if it was only about the adventures of Ghus and Prince Robot and everyone else wasn't in it at all
>>
ITT: more reasonable responses than I expected
>>
>>94665168
That is not [thing I like]!
>>
>>94665312
/co/ is a pretty nice place when you don't talk about politics or /tv/ stuff or cartoons
>>
Start good then it turne to be boring
>>
>>94665312
Honestly I never really see much hate about it. Usually it's just "It's not great" or "it's overhyped".
>>
File: daredevil_pieta.gif (901KB, 952x1456px) Image search: [Google]
daredevil_pieta.gif
901KB, 952x1456px
>>94665168
Saga has nice art and superb character design but the story is lacking. The writer being known for sjw shit poisons the well for a lot of people because even neutral stuff is seen in the light of sjw politics. Kind of the way Trump can say something neutral and people will take it negatively because they already dislike him.
It is hard to come up with a 'greatest' comic because there are too many factors. Promethea comes close with amazing art and deep symbolic story telling but Moore misses the mark because he was too obviously trying to create something classic. It is the comic book equivalent of Oscar bait.
My own choice would be Dare Devil the 'Born Again' arc. The art is good and dramatic. The story is a classic. Best of all it was published as just part of the normal comic series. So the dramatic impact is greater because you were more emotionally invested.
>>
File: fantastic.jpg (50KB, 755x618px) Image search: [Google]
fantastic.jpg
50KB, 755x618px
>>94665270

you're goddamn right
>>
>>94666104
Miller Daredevil doesn't get nearly enough love
>>
>>94665168
eh. I read Planetary yesterday and much preferred that.
>>
>>94665168

It's pretty good. Probably one of the ten or twelve best comics being published today. It has its flaws, as any work does, but there's solid characterization, storytelling, worldbuilding and plot, and it's rare to see all of these together in a single title.
>>
>>94665168
It runs entirely on being weird Sci-Fi. But once you've read any well done Weird Sci-Fi like Nemesis or anything drawn by Moebius, looking back its becomes incredibly dull.
>>
>>94666506
I was going to argue with this but then I remembered how shit the rest of the comics industry is right now
>>
>>94666529

I think it hinges upon whether or not you like the characters and find their personal drama to be engaging. A lot of the criticism seems to come in the form of people complaining that it's not some big action-packed space opera, but that's never what it set out to be. Like, it's totally cool if you don't enjoy the series because that's not what it is, but let's acknowledge if so that that's a matter of personal tastes rather than a failure on the part of the creators.
>>
>>94666127
it gets too much love.
>>
>>94666550
I disagree
>>
>>94666540

I did include the qualifier "being published today." I think that you could maybe find nine or ten better series being published right now, but there's a lot that's worse. Hell, there's a lot which I'm currently buying which is worse, let alone the stuff that's not worth my time or attention.
>>
>>94665168
I hate the artist, literally the most overrated artist of all time.
>>
>>94666568
who is:
Andrea Sorrentino
>>
>>94666568

Nonsense. There was a time when Rob Liefeld was considered a superstar and an honest to goodness celebrity for his talents. Let's not be ridiculous here with this "of all time" business.
>>
>>94665168
This isnt Hellboy.
>>
>>94666592
not many things are, and the world is a slightly worse place for it
>>
>>94666579
>>94666589
I'm not talking about "woe is me some plebs like a shitty artist" I'm talking about a mediocre artist that gets countless awards and people trying to unironically claim she's not one of the best artist in the business right now, but one of the if not the best artist of all time.
>>
>>94666667

I mean, she's pretty good. She has a pleasant style and some nice visual storytelling chops. Obviously these things are all subjective and different people will value different specific types of talent according to how much they enjoy them, which is a hugely personal and emotional thing. I can see how people who are excited about her work right this moment might make such excited proclamations, but it doesn't really mean very much.

I think that to proclaim her either "the best ever" or "most over-rated ever" are both pointless hyperbole. She's a talented artist with a lot of potential, whose stuff is pleasant and easy to enjoy. I think that's an assessment that most reasonable people could agree with.
>>
It's like with music, super subjective.

One of the best comics published (infrequently) today is Beasts of Burden. IMHO.

I absolutely adore the artwork by Jill Thompson and Evan Dorkins writing is fantastic.

More like in his Space Ghost Coast to Coast phase than in his Eltingville phase.

You can use those books to get all sorts of people into non-cape comics.

I was trying hard not to write "It's a great normiecatcher." ... FUCK!
>>
>>94666020
>Usually it's just "It's not great" or "it's overhyped".

If you listen to /co/ you'd think it wasn't the top telling Image comic after the Walking Dead.
/co/ has bad taste.
>>
Hell on Earth's second half was lacking.
Although, if we only consider Hellboy itself, I agree. It's lovely.

I nominate Cerebus. Ignoring #200+
>>
The best BKV story you'll ever read is the first one you read. The more of his stuff you consume, the more you realize how many of his characters sound like each other, how much he relies on shock tactics, and how sloppily structured his long-term plots tend to be.
>>
>>94667110

Has Beasts of Burden even had a new issue in years?
>>
File: ehh.png (355KB, 642x622px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.png
355KB, 642x622px
What's this comic even about? Is it about a goat-man having an affair with a proud nigress and the society turning against them or something?
>>
>>94665168
It's not even my favorite Image comic. It's great, it really is, but being "great" doesn't make you the best, over the decades of cumulated comics books it doesn't even make you top 10.
>>
>>94667473
Almost, it's about a horned*-man having an affair wiht a winged* proud nigress. Horned people and winged people have been at war for god know how long that they don't even see each other as people, just monsters, rapists and other shit. Neither side wants this to change so they are hunted by both.

There's also a cat that knows when you lie it's pretty neat.
>>
>>94667473
>>94667577

Alana is not even black, she's the equivalent of being Indian.
>>
>>94665214
>objective

Only to a certain extent. To jack from siskel and ebert, there's certain fundamentals of craft and construction that aren't negoticable. if you think that say, War Machine 2.0 or Marville are better than watchmen, or the DKR you are objectively wrong.
>>
>>94667577
How did these two become a thing then? I mean, I can't imagine a Palestinian and an Israelite hitting it off IRL.
>>
>>94667831
The husband was in a prison camp guarded by the wife and they bonded over a trashy romance novel that was secretly a political message calling for an end to the war
>>
>>94666104
>The writer being known for sjw
I'm more turned off by the fact that BKV will literally just make shit happen to upset the reader, any sort of narrative weight or satisfaction be damned. It doesn't have to be all happy shit, characters don't always have to live, but some of this shit is just "now bad thing happens."
>>
>>94666731
Different anon, but I find her work unappealing and boring.
>>
File: 1493857548328.gif (1MB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
1493857548328.gif
1MB, 193x135px
>>94665168

>has a narrator that's more insufferable to read about the more she talks
>Ultimately you can take out the narration entirely as the story and its lore could just be told through the visuals alone without a bitchy woman who thinks she knows everything and is so 'hip and cool because she's so detached'
>Have a winged woman and a horned guy fall in love over a book without getting to know each other in any way despite the fact that the woman doesn't seem like the type that would like books or that the guy doesn't seem her type at all
>Apparently in the grand history of everything ever and through countless planets, star systems, and galaxies no other winged and horned person got together in any way before these two
>News of two random shits on opposites sides of the war getting together would apparently end the war and cause mass hysteria instead of people 'oh, its just to traitor fags and a hybrid thing...how does this stop our families from being dead and the other side constantly attacking us?'
>Government leaders on both sides constantly tell characters and the audience how dangerous these two people are, and instead of capitalizing on the irony of how totally not dangerous these people are, the story is constructed in a way where the audience is left to wonder when and how they'll destroy the universe or some shit
>They don't and their characters have no intention of doing that making the governments just look incompetent and unnecessarily paranoid over something that most people probably won't (or more accurately if it were realistic shouldn't) care about
>'muh people they kill'
>Anon, a large portion of those deaths weren't even by their own hands and were the result of extraneous circumstances and disasters they had no part of creating

Yeah nah. Like it all you want but a lot of the premise just falls apart for me the more I think about it. This comic takes itself too seriously and at times is downright full of itself.

Art is nice though.
>>
BKV throws a ton of shit at the wall in Saga at sometimes it sticks, but not enough to feel narratively tight or intentional.
Than and its particular approach to towing the line between nebulous cartoonishness and hard worldbuilding never worked for me; exaggeration and pulp-allusion can work, but things like Sextillion always made it very hard for me to take Saga seriously.
>>
File: cannot unsee.png (512KB, 815x431px) Image search: [Google]
cannot unsee.png
512KB, 815x431px
>>94665168
It's okay, but it relies way too much on shock value, like 2 page spreads of a dragon self fellating.

It could use all that space to, you know, flesh out the storyline or some of the characters a bit more, so they have more background to them than "the gay reporters" or "the hermaphrodite", etc.
>>
>>94665168
Picked up the first trade a few months ago and thought it was ok. Never understood the hype for it. Since comixology is having a Brian K. Vaughan sale, will it get better onward if I pick up Vol. 2 digitally?
>>
>>94669694
I can just link you to a site where you can read all of if for free if you want.
>>
>>94669694
It doesn't get better, but if you thought that Vol. 1 was okay, you won't have any real problems with what comes next.
>>
>>94667299
>The best BKV story you'll ever read is the first one you read.

For me it was Runaways, and yeah it's all been just as disappointing and over hyped as that bore was.
>>
File: wEVbA.gif (167KB, 447x415px) Image search: [Google]
wEVbA.gif
167KB, 447x415px
>>94665243
>>94668090
>>94667299
>>94668611
>>94670260

>mfw Yorick in Y the Last Man turns down sex with an entire world of women only to get cucked and dumped by his gf despite being literally the last man on earth
>>
It's a good comic for people that don't read comics. I would give it to someone that wants to get into the medium. Will they go back to Saga after having more experience with the medium? Probably not.

It's hard to go back to watching a Steven Seagal films after watching something with Jackie Chan and Tony Jaa.
>>
>>94670582

I don't understand why writers do this, it's not even the only story where this happens. Set up a "last man on Earth" storyline and then have the protagonist refuse to have sex with his billion-strong harem because of "muh one true love" garbage. It's so bizarre that they create this ultimate male fantasy and then have their male protagonist refuse to engage in the fantasy.

Anyone know a story where this DOESN'T happen? Most men die off and the male MC just enjoys being a post-apocalyptic king and sex god?
>>
>>94668090
Yeah that's my issue. I could give a fuck about politics. But man killing qt black agent like that in y destroyed him for me.

But besides that the one thing I really like about him is how much his characters change from start to end. I think any story is decent when I see a good solid and real feeling character development.
>>
>>94670086
Nah I'm good, though I know the site that your talking about. I would read a comic issue or two for free before buying the rest as a trade since I don't want my purchase to end up being a mistake and I like to support the people.

>>94670121
Alright thanks, I guess I'll just buy the rest of Paper Girls since I liked that better and possibly try out We Stand on Guard.
>>
>>94665225
I tried to like it but
>scifi fantasy universe with "incredible world-building"
>everyone speaks like teenage girls type in 2013
could not stand it.
seriously, the dialogue completely ruined any chance of me enjoying it.
>>
>>94668611

this, for all the praise of Saga's worldbuilding, so much of it feels arbitrary and disjointed
>>
>>94670600

100% this. Saga sells well because it's the easiest thing for a comic shop employee to put in someone's hand that says "I want to read comics but I don't care about superheroes."
>>
>>94668611
yeah that's my big complaint as well. Sextillion totally ruined my immersion in the story
>>
>>94670732
True. I remember going to my LCS by my job and asking if there's any good Sci-fi comics, dude recommended me Saga.
>>
>>94670632
A million manga and live novel shit.
I mean the amount of isekai that is " summoned to a world where only females exist" is so high that the quality is shitty just for the law of big numbers. But hell, if you only want to fap, by all means, go to baka updates and looks do the appropriated tag.
>>
>>94665225
I like Shutter better, and even Shutter isn't that great (and it's far more tumblr-ish, if that matters).
>>
>>94670706
This. Only time I ever dropped a comic in the first few pages.
>>
>>94670896
I'm more interested in a story that's an actually enjoyable power fantasy than just fapping, but thanks. I'd prefer if it was on post-apocalypse Earth than an isekai, but oh well.
>>
>>94665168
I liked the first couple arcs but stopped caring about it after that. I tend to not like BKV's endings though, so I guess it's good for me to not care a lot about the book. Don't want to be so invested in a book for 100 issues only to hate the ending.

Also Staples' art is good but god damn there are other artists that deserve awards too.
>>
File: IMG_1630.jpg (353KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1630.jpg
353KB, 585x900px
>>94665168
Kek not even the greatest space comic ever made by Image.
>>
>>94665168
Who is the worst character in the comic?
>>
>>94667288
>sales=quality
The Walking Dead is complete shit, as are most of the top-selling books in any given month
>>
>>94667831
you'd be surprised
>>
>>94670666
>killing qt black agent
I am STILL FUCKING MAD
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.