[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well fuck, i have to turn in a sketch book into cal arts for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1233.jpg (44KB, 375x363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1233.jpg
44KB, 375x363px
Well fuck, i have to turn in a sketch book into cal arts for my admission and it has drawings i copied from a how to draw cartoons book. Would they still accept it or should i send in another sketch book? I know im not going to get it back so id rather not send in another of my sketch book as im very possessive of them.
>>
Draw a cunt.
>>
>>94638355
Take the sketchbook, take the pages with the copied images.
Tear them out.

Also, kill yourself.
>>
>>94638355
Are you fucking serious.

You honestly believe that you, a person who copies drawings out of a HOW TO DRAW CARTOONS BOOK has any chance of getting into the most prestigious art school on the planet?

Get fucked with barbed wire.
>>
>>94638355
protip, dont send an actual sketchbook of your rough stuff. Instead, selectively pick out your best ones and redraw them to be more presentable and representative of the stuff you really are capable of doing, rather than spur of the moment doodles or stuff like you described.

Do this for portfolios as well.

Also don't apply to calarts nigga its a waste of money, get a trade job and network by doing fanart and original shit with a patreon. It's way less stressful, you dont have to work in a literal money laundering debt scam where all the young artists get forced into expensive cities right off the bat to work, and you'll make money off something less mentally taxing for a while.

Art degrees are a scam financially but also becoming more useless as more companies are hiring more freelancers than graduates, so they're useless unless you're rich and want to get into it through the nepotism window... which you can do anyway if you just live near that campus and hang around students from there anyway.
>>
>>94638445
>>94638453
/co/ is love
>>
>>94638509
I need to go to art school because i need to draw better. Also id rather die then work in a trade job. I might think about doing freelance, and im also thinking of going to sva instead. Thanks for your advice anyways anon
>>
>>94638509
This. At this point having a popular blog is more likely to get you a job than a degree. So just draw smut on tumblr
>>
File: Capture.png (360KB, 473x392px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
360KB, 473x392px
submit this
>>
>>94638606
>Also id rather die then work in a trade job.

So would I and everyone else. You're gonna have to get over that thought and suck it up, shit is NOT going to work like that.

I'm gonna have to suggest getting a part time job that's as close to your interests as possible. Art store, comic store, whatever as long as you're near people that are into art or animation. If you know the right people you have one more foot in the door than you did before. Cal-Arts may have given you a couple people to talk to and learn from, but that debt is not worth it. I don't believe an art school is going to make you automatically better, it feels like you're just looking for forced motivation. Theres plenty of community classes to learn from. I assume you have a place to stay and eat, so take this time to get a job, save up money, and WORK ON YOUR ART. Connections can only get you so far. So if you're serious about this you MUST draw every goddamn day. Drop by a drawthread or any other forum. Hell, even deviantart will do.

Just draw, talk, and don't give up.

Good luck.
>>
File: 1482772196296.png (107KB, 604x562px) Image search: [Google]
1482772196296.png
107KB, 604x562px
>>94638606
>he doesn't know he can just get a comfy maintenance trade where you don't work with people, work for as many or few hours as you want for pay that will always be way better than wageslaving
>he doesn't pick something that's fun in its own right, since trades usually involve you actually doing shit that isn't mind numbing labor meant to break your spirit

Go into welding, electrician, or car mechanic trades. You'll never have to worry about job security again, you'll do shit that's chill and low stress and cool, and you'll get paid handsomely, and most likely have a lot of time to do art shit on the side.

Hell, if you play it right, you can just work for half the year, take a leave for the other half with good savings, and then go work the next half year after. Though I wouldn't recommend it, routine is good for you.

Or you could be a trucker and basically be a mobile neet.
>>
>>94639367
>>94640002
But i WANT to be a cartoonist, i dont want to be a trucker(which seems like the best option out of all of those), and id rather die then not pursure my passion. Working in a trade job would be so mind numbingly boring i couldnt take it and would become an hero.
>>
File: Shotgun-barrels.jpg (37KB, 810x535px) Image search: [Google]
Shotgun-barrels.jpg
37KB, 810x535px
>>94638355
>and it has drawings i copied from a how to draw cartoons book
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD WHAT A FUCKING RETARD

>>94638606
>Also id rather die then work in a trade job.
I'M SO FUCKING SPECIAL I'M MADE FOR BETTER THINGS EXCEPT ACTUALLY WORKING FOR WHAT I WANT

pic related, your next meal
>>
>>94640314
Don't be a trucker even if you fail cartooning, its going to die within 10 years or so
>>
>>94640835
>MUH SELF DRIVING CARS
>>
>>94640835
> millennial predicting anything
right after the universal living wage and robots

> I BELIEVE IT SO IT MUST BE SO, I WILL IT
clean your fucking room before your dad comes upstairs to rape you to sleep
>>
>>94640777
I refuse to get a normal boring job, fuck you
>>
>>94641182
I hope you don't find panhandling normal or boring.
>>
>>94638453
>the most prestigious art school on the planet
That would be Art Center.
>>
OP, can you post a sample of your art? I'm not going to be cruel but I want to give an honest critique on whether you have a chance of getting in.
>>
>going to art school
>directly copying your entire portfolio from art books
>going to art school to learn how to draw
>mentioning cal arts at all.
>refuses to work reasonable jobs

proves this isn't a bait thread.
>>
You know, as much of insulting and degrading comments are on here, im thankful /co/ is actually real with me. Everyone in this thread gets a free virtual hug
>>
>>94641251
If he posts his artwork I'll believe him but until then it might as well be bait.
>>
>>94638606

Take it from someone eho went to art school; they don't teach you how to draw. If you want to learn technique and drawing skills, go to an atelier. Since you are applying for calarts, you can also pony up the money for watts atelier. Go there. I promise you you will be much better off for it.
>>
>>94641262
I'm dead serious about the killing yourself. Take the initiative.
>>
incredible thread
>>
>>94638606
I copied diagrams from books all the time and I improved a ton because of it. That being said, it's probably not what you should be sending in, keep it to original work or studies from reference they won't recognise. (eg. from life)

Also cal arts isn't well known for teaching good draughtsmanship if that's your priority, but since I'm not in that country I can't really make any recommendations either.
>>
>>94638606
Also every professional artist I know had a day-job for a while, you're looking at a minimum of three years of study to get up to a reasonable level of skill, but it often takes longer and doing freelance with tight deadlines and lots of revisions isn't a good idea if you're not confident in your abilities. Building up a portfolio, making connections and strengthening your brand are also things that take time. You most likely won't have work coming right out of school, it'll take a while to build it up and having a second career you can tolerate is helpful. Especially since your interests outside of art will often determine what you'll be good at drawing...
>>
>>94638355
Before you kill yourself for being a waste of oxygen, please do one thing right in your miserable life and burn that place down to the ground. Thanks.
>>
>>94638355

calarts prioritizes creativity and ideas over technical skill

make it a 70/30 balance between your own drawings and art studies

also look at other accepted portfolios as a guideline

>>94638453

pen ward got in, enough said
>>
>>94638606

>Also i'd rather die than work a trade job

hoo boy you're going to hate the animation industry then
>>
>>94638355
Why exactly would copying images disqualify you from anything? Copying is part of how you learn.
>>
>>94638355
I think it'd be safer to send in another sketchbook

get crackin' famalam
>>
>>94638355
>>Also i'd rather die than work a trade job
The animation industry is built upon the broken bones of people like you.
See you in two years when you quit or when you come here to post a suicide note.
>>
>>94645824
great, we will have another instance of "you guys are pretty kewl, don't go to CalArts tomorrow" like there was a few years ago
>>
>>94638355
>when shes waiting for you to finish on her face.jpg
>>
>>94645516

But there is no merit in putting copied pictures in your portfolio. Doing so is a surefire way of not getting accepted.
>>
>>94638606
>>94640314
I remember when I was this young
>>
>>94648229
you shone like the sun?
>>
>>94644809
>prioritizes creativity over technical skill
that makes me sick. What happened to the draftsmen and the illustrators? What happened to learning how to draw from life?
>>
>>94638355
>>94638606

You don't go to art school to learn how to draw, anon. I understand not wanting to work in a trade job but for fuck's sake you're a dumbass. If you don't already know how to draw at an acceptable level you're going to fork out thousands of dollars just to fail every project they give you, git gudder and then send in a sketchbook. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>94649185
Life is boring. Imagination has way more potential.
>>
>>94638453
>most prestigious art school on the planet?
Bitch it's not even the most prestigious animation school on the planet; it just has the most studio connections.
>>
>>94639367
Best advice in this whole thread. This guy speaks the truth. Draw everyday and if you want it bad enough you'll get there one day. Keep the faith brothers.
>>
>>94638355
>Copies from a guide book
>is proud of copies
>goes to turn them in at CAL FUCKING ARTS
>Too possessive of copies to turn them in
>Posts about it on /co/
I've seen heresy, but this is some next gen heresy right here
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.