[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

settle a debate co. Are those early xx-men comics more about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (27KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
27KB, 184x274px
settle a debate co.
Are those early xx-men comics more about race or sexuality? just random cape shit or about bias and humans being dicks. any other thoughts welcome.
>>
>>94577577

Those early X-Men comics are about Stan Lee coming up with a catch-all to skip the origin of a characters powers

Everything else is standard mystery men scholck
>>
None of the above

It's about the red scare
>>
Sexuality wasn't that big of an issue back then, race was. Xavier and Magneto are literally based on Malcom X and MLK
>>
>>94577610
by early I mean the first 10-15 years or so
>>
>>94577810
>Xavier and Magneto are literally based on Malcom X and MLK

This isn't even a little bit true until maybe the 80s.
>>
Clearly it's about both. Most of them are able to physically repress their mutant abilities, making the comparison to Homosexuality evident, such as Angel forcibly prying his wings down a metal corset restricting the freedom he feels when he's out with his wings, but they become much more visually notable for their physical mutations once they break the facade of their secret identities. I mean, Ice-Man's costume is literally made of his mutant power. They are meant to be an allegory for racial inequalities when they're heroes and homosexual repression when in their civilian wear
>>
>>94577920
This, the minority parallel didn't become a thing until All New All Different and didn't really really become a thing until Claremont took the book over
>>
>>94578007
>>94577920
Claremont started early-mid 70s on X-Men. Issue or arc wise when do you think this kicked in? Not trolling - genuinely interested.
>>
Can anyone recommend an arc where Magneto really comes off as the good guy and makes a lot of good points? Funny, as I get older I am seeing the point in all the villains motivations instead of just writing them off as dicks.
>>
>>94578206
Kitty Pryde coming in really kicked it off and the famous panel that always gets posted was where it became cemented
>>
>>94578368
will google but if anyone has it can they post? thanks in advance
>>
>>94578298
The Trial of Magneto, Uncanny X-Men #200
>>
>>94578486
You are a scholar and a gentleman, anon. Going to read it now.
>>
>>94578206
That stuff really gets rolling in #150, when they go into Magneto's tragic backstory for the first time.

And even afterwards it's still mostly just about the cool adventures and interesting characters.

Relatively few stories lean heavily on the racism parallel.
>>
>>94577577
>1960s
>sexual orientation

C'mon man, you're better than this
>>
>>94578206
Not sure when it first started but God Loves Man Kills was when they were really preachy about mutant racism and the best example of it.
>>
>>94577577
It's about minorities.

FUCKING Summmmmer!
>>
It didn't become about gays until the last decade when it started getting more trendy.
>>
>>94578206
not the same anon but maybe God Loves Man Kills? Or Days of Future Past
>>
I'm into this thread. Any recs from the entire X-Men series?
>>
>>94580436

Start with Giant Size X-Men #1, keep going until X-Men #3

Everything you need to know about why people lime the X-Men is in that run
>>
>>94577577
When was the phrase "hated and feared" first used. That would seem a natural turning point.
>>
>>94580736
A world that hates and fears them was the tagline since issue one, but it was by no means indicative of anything political in the book

The same world hated and feared Spider-Man and the Thing
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.