[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1980s-1990s animation uses slang, fashion, stereotypes, music,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: flap.png (370KB, 742x572px) Image search: [Google]
flap.png
370KB, 742x572px
>1980s-1990s animation uses slang, fashion, stereotypes, music, culture from its era
>Is considered dated and cheap

>early animation uses slang, fashion, stereotypes, music, culture from its era
>Is regarded as quaint and expected

Is there a solid basis on why people react this way? Are people just inherently more accepting to things that exist outside of their lifetime? Will modern culture be looked at in the same way by historians in the future? Is there anybody alive from the jazz age that dislikes this style?
>>
>>94557698
I think it partially has to do with that.
The more time passes, the more of a romantic lens gets put on that time period.
Given enough time, people will start to look at the 80s and 90s with a more sincere, less parodied angle and the 2000s-2010s may be the new dated and cheap age-taking jabs at undercuts and fuckboy style instead of the style of the previous decades.
Only time will tell.
>>
>>94557903
This. It takes a few generations. Remember when the 60s and 70s were hilariously hokey?
>>
Early animation is good. 80s/90s is crap.
>>
File: bugs bunny fat.png (249KB, 248x459px) Image search: [Google]
bugs bunny fat.png
249KB, 248x459px
I just fear that decades are gonna become less and less distinct since with the internet we have everything all the time
>>
>>94557933
They still are.
>>
For one, the expectations are wildly different for what to expect from a medium in its infancy compared more than half a century later with a wealth of knowledge, example and tools at your disposal.

Johnny Test will still be shit 100 years from now because it was lazy, crude, cut corners, relied on shitty FX, and recycled tropes. Historians won't 'rediscover' some lost value because they've had time to reflect. It'll be rightfully forgotten for the same reasons it was maligned in its own time.

Even by the 80s-90s people could see some of the amazing things you could do with animation, whether it be looney toons or Akira, so there's really no reason to excuse shoddy products for using the same creative crutches that the very first animators groping their way in the dark were using.
>>
>>94557698
It depends on what you take from that era.
People don't regard blackface as quaint, and even if expected they'd rather it be cut out.

If all you take from the 90s is fucking Hollywood celebs reference, then your cartoon will be rightfully considered shit.
And this has nothing to do with "muh nostalgia", nobody remembers the cartoons Disney did about Hollywood either.
>>
>>94557698
Not all pop-culture is created equal.
For various reasons some time after the mid 60s (not coincidentally around the time pop-culture references start getting annoying) distribution of media became more and more controlled by private interests rather than the public's interest in a subject. Older works that have nods to their contemporary culture feel more genuine because that's what people actually enjoyed (or at least the writers/animators did), where as more modern references feel hollow because it's what other people want you to enjoy.
>>
>>94558046

>80s-90s
>Looney tunes

What
>>
>>94558236
I meant it as an example of great animation that already existed before the 80s-90s.
>>
File: felix-and-chaplin.jpg (21KB, 449x288px) Image search: [Google]
felix-and-chaplin.jpg
21KB, 449x288px
>>94558072
I like the Hollywood stuff though. The rise of the film industry is interesting.
>>
>>94557990

Easy there Bugs.
>>
>>94557990
>trying to remember distinguishing features from the 2000s that set it apart from the 2010s
>>
>>94558667
Think the beginning of the digital era when analog was still a rather strong choice of option for media consumption. Only the longer the 00's went the strong digital media became and the more analog media became irrelevant to the masses.
>>
>>94558667
Social media didn't control everyone's lives yet
Facebook was for college students only
The internet wasn't a necessity yet and you could get a job by walking in the store with a resume
Indie music was catching on because of Myspace
4chan was in its prime
Scientology was the big controversy of the time
Encyclopedia Drammatica
Pedophiles being caught in large numbers on Stickam
Hackers on steroids
Emo, scene and hip-hop fashion were #1
Video games being taken seriously as a money maker and art form
Razor scooters
Mongoose bikes
Saturday morning cartoons still going strong
Kazaa
Bearshare
Cartoon Cartoon Friday
Hanna-Barbera cartoons on Boomerang
YTMND
Newgrounds
Ebaumsworld
Pokemon Crater
No wifi
Not being able to use the internet while someone is on the phone
25 cent bags of chips
>>
>>94557698
> look at picture
> immediately hear "Lone Digger" in head

I hate myself
>>
>>94558907
>implying vinyl isn't a massive trend among the kids now
Your age is showing, 90s kid.
>>
>>94557698
Because the baby boomers are the only generation that really matter in terms of marketing (since they're the only ones with significant money), and they didn't grow up with 80s-90s nostalgia.

And given the economy, this is not likely to change any time soon.
>>
>>94558667
midriff
>>
>>94558130
FUCKING THIS

End the fucking thread, this anon wins it.
>>
>>94558667
The period from 9/11 to 2006 was VERY different from 2007-2009. 2007-2009 saw the rise of the Big Bang Theory, iPhones, social media, Out of Jimmy's Head, HDTV, moe boom in anime due to Lucky Star, HDTVs everywhere, Great Recession, Obama's election, and a bunch of other shit happened.
>>
>>94557698
People like hating on contemporary things because it puts them above their peers. Yes, there is such a thing as too much of an attempt at topical themes and plots, but a lot of the times it has to do with the execution. What's the difference between South Park and We Bare Bears? I've seen threads where people think it's the dumbest thing that the characters use uber, buy drones, and get a cupcake from a vending machine, but laugh at South Park characters playing Rock Band or making an entire episode about Tiger Woods' infidelity.
>>
File: 1502391831125.png (776KB, 993x638px) Image search: [Google]
1502391831125.png
776KB, 993x638px
>>94558667
>>94558907
>>94559009
>>94559834
>>94559984
The 00s can be split up into three eras, i think.

2000-Sept 10 2001 was still the 90s

Sept 11, 2001-2006 was the "classic 2000s". When people think of the 2000s, this is the era they think of. Saddam Hussein died on December 30, 2006, marking an end to this era.

2007-2009 was the late 2000s and a turning point. Big Bang Theory, iPhone, social media, rise of Facebook, rise of Twitter, moe boom, iCarly, Great Recession, Obama, HDTVs everywhere, etc. Closer to the 2010s in terms of feel.
>>
>>94559009
Damn you're taking me back. Graduating high school in the middle of all of that was pretty great. Thank you for that.
>>
>>94560068
>last good generation of gaming
Nigga have you seen the PC market? The last 10 years have been a golden age in both volume and quality, nevermind pricing and distribution. I have something like 300 games in my constantly growing backlog, and I play at least 2 hours a day. Should be noted that I payed less than $1k for the entire library, with minimal (usually cheap) hardware upgrades needed over the last decade.
>>
>>94560141
Seriously. CPU clock speeds haven't gone up much in those 10 years, and the occasional upgrade to GPU or memory has been more than sufficient for most. Prices haven't gone down, though...
>>
>>94558015
Not him but disco DID come back a few years ago. Funk has been coming back within the past couple of years as well.
>>
>>94560205
>Prices haven't gone down, though
They have and haven't. A good CPU is still $200+, but even a $150 GPU can run 95%+ of games at high setting so long as you aren't running 4k or enable stupid shit like x16aa / tessellation / etc.
>>
>>94559833
>baby boomers
When I say early animation, I mean like 20s, not 60s-70s.
>>
>>94560210
Disco already came back long ago, in the 90s.
>>
>>94560068
>>94560070
Good times. I think 2013 might have been the last year I really enjoyed.
>>
>>94560406
2006 was the last year i enjoyed, ever since then it's been shitty economy and social media hell
>>
>>94560429
If I could turn back the clock I would with no hesitation but only after getting the lotto numbers. 2006 was a good year.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.