[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me explain to a /co/ casual why should he care about Jack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: descarga (3).jpg (17KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
descarga (3).jpg
17KB, 300x168px
Help me explain to a /co/ casual why should he care about Jack Kirby if he doesn't like Marvel in the slightest.
>>
>>94556714
Read his works.
if you like them, care.

If you don't, don't.
>>
>>94556714
Putting it as short as I can, he basically had VERY big part in the creation of modern comic book structure. Also, he worked for DC, did you know? He created DARKSEID and the entirety of the New Gods.
>>
>>94556714
>Marvel
Yeah, he and Lee made the foundations of all the Marvel shit, and that has some historical significance, but Kirby's best work was at DC.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>94556867
(You)
>>
>>94556714
Nah. Who fucking cares what some dumbass casual thinks?
>>
>>94556714
>he doesn't like Marvel in the slightest
thats a good reason right there
>>
>>94556714
He shouldn't. The man's legacy has been shit on and bastardized for so many years that his influence on the industry is barely recognizable.
>>
Because the works of the writer/artist are far more important than the shared universe that those works reside within.
>>
>>94556714
Because he contributed a lot to DC too.
>>
>>94556770
Not in their present form. He wanted to finish the story in under a year.

>>94556867
>Prove me wrong.

He resented not being able to finish the Fourth World as a discreet set of stories, he only took Jimmy Olsen because nobody else was assigned to it not because he gave two shits about it, and he hated The Demon because it was derivative shit that people lapped up. When he left DC after just four years (the first year of which had been spent finessing his Fourth World pitch and getting it approved, the second year spent watching it be dragged out by editorial mandate, the third and fourth working on books he didn't give a shit about) he returned to Marvel for two years - working on Captain America (his own creation) once again, and creating the Eternals, Marvel's answer to the Fourth World and, given their relationship to the Celestials, likely showing the direction DC's Fourth World would have taken if Kirby had been left to his own devices as he'd been promised he would.

Here's what Stan Lee had to say about Kirby's return in '75

>As I started telling about Jack's return, to a totally incredulous audience, everyone's head started to snap around as Kirby himself came waltzin' down the aisle to join us on the rostrum! You can imagine how it felt clownin' around with the co-creator of most of Marvel's greatest strips once more.

After a couple of very productive years back where he belonged, Kirby moved into tv, producing work for shows (including Marvel's Fantastic Four) and for the CIA - his work was used in the Tehran hostage crisis - as well as working for smaller publishers on a creator-rights basis.

After that he briefly returned to DC and worked on the Fourth World - redesigning everything at the request of Jenette Kahn and Paul Levitz (who wanted Kirby to be able to collect royalties on the characters, something he hadn't previously been able to do).

>>94556714
Well, there's always the Centurions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqnmsQUtx6g
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>94557286
Nice history lesson, but
>>
>>94557361
Fuck, I pulled an accidental screen cap from my photos. I am a dumbass,
>>
I remember when I was a kid I found an issue of New Gods at a garage sale or something, and it just had a super big effect on me. I can't remember it anymore or find it, but it was just basically after a big battle, and there's some big burly black haired bearded guy and he gets into a fight with some other dude in the field where the battle took place, then later there's some white haired twink in like prison or something like that and he's got some kind of spike on a screwdriver handle

i really wish i could find it but i don't want to reread the entire series for it, it was definitely an og jack kirby new gods though

a lot of the things I draw are based on what i remember of it
>>
>>94557379
>>94557361
do you smell burnt toast
>>
>>94556714
BECAUSE you're a casual. You want the good stuff, not the fad of the month. Captain America, not the Hydra Cap. Powerful artwork, not the photoshop garbage. You want good, you want great, you want it on the stand and you want it now.
Well you get all that with Jack Kirby. (Except new material...) :(
>>
>>94557433
>tfw eating an english muffin
N-n-no.
>>
>>94557474
I have the old omnis, but man,mI can't wait for the nig oversized book with actual white pages- the OG omnis go yellow over time :(
>>
His DC stuff is better.
>>
>>94557382
It's only an 11 issue series doofus
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.