[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is this the best graphic novel of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3504.jpg (27KB, 221x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3504.jpg
27KB, 221x346px
So is this the best graphic novel of all time?
>>
>>94547817
Depends on who you ask. Time magazine seems to think so.
>>
1. not even the best Moore story

2. it's also not a graphic novel
>>
Best graphic novel of all time will always be Bone
>>
>>94547817
Kingdom Come is better and has real superheroes not garbage OCs.
>>
>>94547817
So is this the best capeshit graphic novel of all time*
>>
If you're an edgy teenager or young adult sure. But once you grow out of thinking nihilism is deep you move on to better comics, I'd say All-Star Superman and Hard-Boiled are both way better.
>>
>>94547913
Does it make you happy that the same guy that wrote Kingdom Come writes Champions now?
>>
>>94548539
All-Star Superman isn't as good as any of Moore's Superman stories, including Supreme and Majestic
>>
>>94547913
Kingdom Come sucks dude
>REEEEEEE Cable is popular and comics appeal to kids for once
>>
>>94547913
Kingdom Come has gorgeous artwork and the -idea- for the story is great but the execution was fucking horrible and it's really boring and short as well as poorly written.

seriously, most overrated comic of all time. If you're looking for a counterpoint to edgy superheroes you're better off just reading an actual not edgy superhero comic like All-Star supes.
>>
>>94547913
No it isn't
>>
>>94548539
>Only edgy teenagers like Watchmen

Seriously man?
>>
>>94547913
I have seen a lot of strong baitposting lately, well done sir
>>
>>94548658
I also said young adults. seriously grow out of your quarter-life crisis and realize that nihilism is a garbage worldview.
>>
>>94547913
literally look at the pretty pictures: the book

Without Ross, Kingdom Come wouldn't even be a footnote.
>>
>>94548539
>>94548667
Would you mind telling me why you think Watchmen is a nihilist book?
>>
>>94548663
Thanks, I put some thought into it.
>>
>>94547913
Ha

>not garbage OCs

Everyone acts so out of character they might as well be
>>
>>94548791
The entire thing is a morose and unrealistic view of the Cold War that never came to fruition because the world isn't that shitty.

THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE THE WORLD IS TO NUKE MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE
>>
>>94548871
Except the whole book was telling you why Ozy was wrong.
>>
>>94547913
>killing a mass murderer after the tenth time he breaks out of jail and slaughters a thousand people makes you LITERALLY HITLER and will result in the entire Earth becoming a hellhole

omg citizen kane of comics 10/10
>>
>>94548935
yet all discussion I've seen related to it (even outside 4chan) talks about how Ozy was right all along.

And his actions do avert a total nuclear war for some retarded ass reason. Even the heroes aside from Rorschach say he saved the world.
>>
>>94547913
Kingdom Come is garbage, the only books that somehow manage to be worse are "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" and "Under the Hood."
>>
File: nothing ever ends.jpg (68KB, 595x309px) Image search: [Google]
nothing ever ends.jpg
68KB, 595x309px
>>94548980
Then Dr Manhattan has a funny way of approving his actions.
>>
>>94548976
it was because he and his team tortured Parasite and he split atom man causing a nuke. got too cocky and too obsessed with punishing the villain.

same thing happened to Teen Gohan only Goku was able to teleport Cell away.
>>
>>94549001
oh wow a completely vague line that can be interpreted literally any way, especially coming from a god character who simultaneously exists in every possible time to the point he doesn't even consider himself human
>>
File: ozy black freighter.jpg (554KB, 905x1426px) Image search: [Google]
ozy black freighter.jpg
554KB, 905x1426px
>>94549021
Then prehaps you should read the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley. Or, as you can see here, the Black Freighter story was a metaphor for Ozy's plot. Things didn't end too well for the Black Freighter guy.
>>
>>94548871
You actually missed one of the most obvious points of the book, this has to be bait.
>>
>>94548634
>most overrated comic of all time
Daily reminder The Killing Joke exists
>>
>>94549021
You're dumb, look at the panel wher Ozymabdias goes "I DID IT" and notice how his arms are positioned like the hands of a clock. It's symbolic of how he hasn't ended the threat of armegeddon, he has merely postponed it
>>
>>94549089
The Black Freighter guy and Ozymandias are not parallels, except by the loosest, most permissive interpretation. The Black Freighter guy represents how close we are to a descent into barbarism, and is an extension of the threat of nuclear doom; the animal backed into a corner, so to speak. Ozymandias represents the will to use this animal-ness, this closeness to barbarism to revive the goodness in humanity through the acknowledgement of a common threat. The Black Freighter guy is the lesson that Ozymandias had learned.
>>
>>94549633
Moore has straight up said that the Freighter story is a parallel of Adrian, along with other parts referring to Rorschach's capture and Manhattan's self imposed isolation.

They both fall under paranoia and an incredible sense of urgency to save their loved ones. They carve a bloody path to save people no matter what the cost, but in the end are horrified at what they have done. The character accepts his fate and joins the ship of the damned. Ozy is plagued by nothing but questions over whether he has done the right thing, and is marooned in Antarctica for his sins.
>>
>>94547817
Maybe in Capeshit
>>
File: desserto.jpg (712KB, 1169x704px) Image search: [Google]
desserto.jpg
712KB, 1169x704px
>>94547817
No.
>>
>>94547817
>graphic novel
>>
File: 1502133998017.png (259KB, 2518x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502133998017.png
259KB, 2518x1024px
>>94547817
definitely the best one I've ever read
>>
>>94547817
Not even close.

Also Sandman is an acceptable answer if you're old.
>>
>>94548539
>All-Star Superman
Mediocre story from a boring superhero
>Hard Boiled
Miller being edge-lord again
>>
File: a-contract-with-god.jpg (55KB, 550x312px) Image search: [Google]
a-contract-with-god.jpg
55KB, 550x312px
The mediocre white man says hello OP.
>>
>>
>>94547817
Not by a long shot. Maybe the best geek cultured oriented graphic novel but comics is a medium, not a genre. There are much better comics out there aimed towards adults and non-geeks. And it isn't a graphic novel, it's a collection of all 12 issues in a series.
>>
>>94552645
ah some Jean Giraud To bad he passed away.
>>
>>94549633
It's a lot of things, but the conclusion the Black Freighter is most definitely a parallel for Ozzy's arc. Black Freighter dude manages to save his village from the seemingly unstoppable Freighter, but he does so by sacrificing innocent lives, and he is irreversibly corrupted in the process.
>>
File: Blankets.jpg (55KB, 365x499px) Image search: [Google]
Blankets.jpg
55KB, 365x499px
>>94547817
It's a genuinely great piece of work, but there are others that resonate more personally with me.
>>
File: 250px-Life&TimesofSMcD_HC_cover.jpg (41KB, 250x383px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Life&TimesofSMcD_HC_cover.jpg
41KB, 250x383px
The patrician's choice
>>
>>94547817
not only is it not even a graphic novel, time doesn't even exist
but is certainly the best thing named watchmen that alan moore wrote
>>
>>94554813
Literally better than anything Moore has shit out.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.