[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Donny Bluth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0698.jpg (279KB, 685x466px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0698.jpg
279KB, 685x466px
What are your thoughts on Donny Bluth
>>
He knows what's he's doing, but the sequels are never up to par.
>>
I wonder if he ever wanted more people to pay attention to Space Ace, since it's only in recent years that people were even aware he did a game that wasn't Dragon's Lair.
>>
Incredibly talented but needs someone to reel in his ideas
>>
>>94547808
Great animator. Shit writer.
>>
Peaked early and never found his stride
>>
>>94547947
This basically.
>>
Made great stuff in the 80's then quality fell off a cliff. Sort of like Frank Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6uUMPoynRc
>>
I'm so disappointed he's become a pussy sjw and will tone down daphne for the dragon's lair movie
>>
>>94547808
when he's sticking it to Disney by being Don Bluth he's amazing. When he's copying Disney to stay relevant he's terrible
>>
An American Tale is the best Bluth film
>>
>>94548206
judith's death ruined him
>>
>>94547808
I think he better release the Dragon's Lair teaser for non-backers already.
>>
Godly animation director, terrible story director.
>>
File: Rock_a_Doodle_poster.jpg (73KB, 500x761px) Image search: [Google]
Rock_a_Doodle_poster.jpg
73KB, 500x761px
>>94548356
No, but close.
>>
I loved space ace and all dogs go to heaven
>>
>>94547808
Talented but never truly harnessed to the writing and directing needed to make something truly great.
>>
>>94550271
Jeepers I'm a furry!
>>
File: Brisby and Jenner.png (3MB, 1917x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Brisby and Jenner.png
3MB, 1917x1039px
Don Bluth is just so weird to me. He's an animation genius, but it seems that he gets his wheels get stuck in the mud of the production process.

Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, and Penguin and the Pebble are just bizarre scripts that I just can't see appealing to children, and I'm not surprised that they panned.

I heard that he has trouble making movies. Secret of NIMH had to be funded by giving animators shares. Penguin and the Pebble had a highly troubled production, and he wanted his name stricken off. A Troll in Central Park was supposed to have a more mature, darker, background for Stanley, and Bluth said that the film was like what happened when you don't properly nurture a child.

I like his idiosyncrasies like sparkles out the wazoo, tongues sticking out, huge fangs for villains, and broken families.

He's probably the most important independent animator since Ralph Bakshi, and demonstrated that if Disney ever lags, than someone will pick up the slack. This was proven again by Dreamworks picking up the slack in the 2000s as Disney put out a string of mediocre titles. Bluth showed that you can beat the mouse, and it didn't necessarily have to be at it's own game.

It must be sad for him personally though, to know that so many of the talented VAs with him have died. Like Dom Deluise, Elizabeth Hartman, and Judith Barsi. Bluth used Dom for a bunch of his projects, it's a shame that tragedy kept the broken Hartman and Barsi from adding their own contributions to the Bluth film mythos.
>>
Wasn't he originally supposed to direct Ice Age?
>>
His first several films are good and can be appreciated by any one , but after rock a doodle he kind of gave up and just made stupid kids films.
>>
File: Titan_AE_One_Sheet.jpg (40KB, 300x443px) Image search: [Google]
Titan_AE_One_Sheet.jpg
40KB, 300x443px
>>94551531
>>
File: 13072589805.gif (4MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
13072589805.gif
4MB, 720x480px
>>94551099
>>
>>94551315

Wasn't DreamWorks created by pissed off Disney employees or something?

I really wish there was new player in the entertainment industry, things are getting stale
>>
>>94551531
>>94547947
>>94548191

Oh please, do you really think he had any choice from what happened from Rock-A-Doodle onwards?

Executives wanted dumb movies for kids, and got them.
>>
>>94551561
Well, there's Illumination.
>>
>>94547808
Great animator, average writer. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PRODUCER.

I love the shit out of his stuff, tho.
>>
>>94548020
>it's only in recent years that people were even aware he did a game that wasn't Dragon's Lair

This sounds like something a person who wasn't alive in the 80s would say.
>>
File: cec6.jpg (43KB, 635x925px) Image search: [Google]
cec6.jpg
43KB, 635x925px
>>94547808
Good art, shit plots
>>
>>94551765

Their movies are made purely for money. No art of craft behind them.
>>
>>94547808
The man knows how to draw attractive mice.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.