[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2010s in comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: 2 of 2.png (124KB, 294x417px) Image search: [Google]
2 of 2.png
124KB, 294x417px
What went so, so wrong?

>writers who did great work in the 90s and 00s, both veteran (Morrison, Waid, Rucka, Milligan) and up-and-coming (Aaron, Fraction, Lemire, Remender) were churning out pure shit by 2012/3
>storylines and characters created solely for headlines by "big boy" news websites (X is now gay! Y comic features a trans character! F becomes president! N has been a nazi all along!)
>the last remnants of good comics journalism either selling out or retiring
>Lee/Liefeld/McFarlane/Deodato-like art dominating the first half of the decade, amateurish pastel cutesy stick figures dominating the second
>variant cover programs and other shady practices arguably worse than those from the 90s (52 variant covers on JLA #1, holofoil and lenticular shit, Marvel making retailers stock up on unsellable shit to be able to order something they can sell)
>rapid rise of digital content allowing for new models of distribution - companies still cling to selling $5 32-paged brochures filled with ads
>small publishers becoming 90% TV pitch factory
>movie synergy practically destroying continuity
>>
>>94527916
too much old blood, not enough new blood with fresh perspective and actual insight into modern youth
>>
>>94527916
>Mainline Comics aren't great and have poor business practices.

True of practically every decade. Not that it justifies it, but you've always had to dig a little to find the really good stuff.
>>
>>94527916
>writers who did great work in the 90s and 00s, both veteran (Morrison, Waid, Rucka, Milligan) and up-and-coming (Aaron, Fraction, Lemire, Remender) were churning out pure shit by 2012/3
Only if your just read big 2. The only 3 that have actually gone to shit recently are waid, Fraction and Aaron. Lemires indie work is fantastic and Black Hammer is one of the best ongoing right now, just because your mad about MK doesn't take that away
>>
>>94527937
New blood that comes to mind are King and Spurrier and they've both gotten worse with time.
>>
File: is it wrong.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
is it wrong.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>94527916
>Waid and Rucka next to Morrison and Milligan
Legit fucking triggered
>>
>>94527916
>movie synergy practically destroying continuity

This is what bums me out the most, honestly.

The autism of untangling the decades old web of bullshit that is the history of my favorite characters was one of the things I liked the most about comics.
>>
>>94527969
>King
Only his ongoing work. His minis are still tight
>Spurrier
Okay I'll be honest, I haven't read any of his work since Legacy, what happened to him?
>>
>>94527984
>His minis
Hasn't had one for over a year and a lot of the stuff he said about Mr. Miracle sounds stupid. To be fair, Vision and Omega Men have problems too but it seems he has fallen into the trap where he feels he HAS to do a 9 panel grid or he HAS to write that kind of dialogue.

Spurrier is just up his own ass and his dialogue was always kind of meme-y but it's gotten worse and he's very desperate to let people know he's a hipster. Also, he claims to love the medium of comics but look at his pitches, he always talks about movies and shit, hell his upcoming comic is basically pitched as popular cartoon meets popular cartoon. Cry Havoc was great though but I doubt he'll continue it.
>>
For the writers it's because editors don't know shit and writers are bad at recognising their strengths or saying no.
They see a writer do well then give them any project they want to do well.

Look at Lemire, his work flourishes as a tight, character focused work like in Animal Man where it's not just about Buddy but his connections, both the Red and his family.
So then DC gives him JLU, a big spectacle title which is about dragging in as many heroes as possible. Why?
And I'm not saying writers should be pigeon holed but there's a pace to this.

The logical size up from AM is hopefully The Terrifics, a family sized book, not an every character in the universe sized book or an entire roster of X-Men.
>>
>>94528052
>For the writers it's because editors don't know shit and writers are bad at recognising their strengths or saying no.
This and it's mostly the fans that cause this. Editors are either seen as good when they let the writer just do whatever while they sit on their ass all day or bad when they actually get involved. There's a whole lot of process when making a comic that escapes a lot of people. We're talking about a team of people brainstorming, bad ideas come from anyone not just the editor or writer, same with good ideas.

As for Lemire in particular, your statement makes me angry. Nobody gets better by sitting on their ass and look at Black Hammer, it's one of the only genuinely good comics being published right now and that's kind of a team book. Problem with JLU was Lemire, his commitment to it and how he genuinely didn't give a fuck and left the title so early. Editor is guilty of approving his awful reinvention of Adam and Alana. I mean seriously, you're so fast to sing The Terrifics praise and call it "a family book" despite the fact that the characters are literally thrown together to fit in some stupid FF pastiche.
>>
>>94528128
Switched ips already?
>>
We have prophet, and all of young animal. Shit is just getting better fool.
>>
>>94527977
Three of those worked on 52, which is the greatest 52 issue maxi ever told.
>>
>>94528166
>We have prophet
what?
>and all of young animal
Only Doom Patrol and Shade are good. And DP is delayed like crazy and Shade is going on a long ass hiatus.
>>
>>94528178
52 is fine because it gets compared to other big superhero event type comics and those suck but 52 is far from amazing.
>>
>>94528112
I called it a famile sized book and yeah you're right about taking risks. But guess what? Black Hammer is a family sized book. A family book of characters he gets to build himself from the ground up because he has time and investment.
Which now that I write that I've realized Lemire hasn't said shit about The Terrific on twitter, it's all been Shaner or Lemire getting hype for Hawkman. So point taken.

And yeah I entirely agree with you on JLU, I expect Lemire wanted a straight up Adam Strange book to delve deeper into his revamp of the characters but instead he got a team book were he said half assed it but not before trying to introduce a new character that went nowhere and no one except him at his half-as writing level was invested in
>>
>>94528215
It's a legitimately great cape story.
>>
>>94528317
Rucka's first person narration feels like a turd and the whole Steel/Natasha thing is straight out of a soap opera
>let me explain
>storms out
And it's the driving point of the whole plot
Booster Gold and Black Adam plot were good but Black Adam comes off as too sympathetic, more so than DC wanted. Space plot is a bit aimless, Renee is an annoying cunt, Batwoman is a mess and she gets completely revamped in Detective Comics. It's an okay comic especially since it's an "event" but it's not great.
>>
>>94528166
Prophet is gone, probably not even getting the deluxe hcs. Island is die. 8House is die. Marians probably gone ful recluse carving knives all day every day. Stokoe is stuck making fanfics for $. James Harvey has better representation with some nip publishers than with image. Dalrymple, Simon Roy, Milonogiannis fucked off no idea where. No idea what Brandon is doing.

>Shit is just getting better fool.
Used to think that in 2012 too.
>>
>>94528411
>James Harvey
Isn't he doing a YA book? Or am I crazy?
>>
>>94528282
JLU was a team full of character he picked out himself, they're characters he personally loved so he didn't get roped into it, DC were generous to him and he just got bored with it fast.
The point about Terrifics is that "family sized" is such a meme thing to say considering it's just a bunch of characters randomly thrown together, you can write it as a "family book" but it will still come off as stupid because these characters have existed for many many years and have barely interact so far and now you're selling them to me as a "family"? His cast of JLU had more chemistry and could been a "family book" too. Oh and another thing, The Terrific is a stupid fucking name.
>>
>>94528411
>Dalrymple
Proxima Centauri is on the way. Might come out in 2019. He's working on it right now, posts teases on instagram all the time.
>>
>>94528388
It really is more an achievement of wow we did that and how the fuck did we do that than wow we are telling as good a story as we tell on our best day. There are definitely a lot to criticize there but to overly criticize it would be churlish and devaluing the narrative achievement.
>>
>>94528479
I'm not a fan of singing something's praise because "omg they pulled it off" or some behind the scenes shit. I think it needs to stand on it's own and 52 is... decent but not one of the best things the medium has to offer. And since the whole conversation started from Rucka and Waid, 52 would've been much better with someone else there instead of them.
>>
>>94528520
It's not perfect but compared to Countdown, Futures End, Worlds End, Batman and Batman and Robin Eternal, it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>94527916
>>small publishers becoming 90% TV pitch factory
people will never admit how much TV and Movie sellouts killed comics.

Everybody wants to be adapted. And it shows. Painfully poor pacing to get the the "twitter" moment at the end (even if this started in comics the pacing used to be quicker). Dragging everything out so you can get a tv show rather than a movie.

It's pitiful to be honest.
>>
>>94527954
second to last point addressed that.
>>
>>94527916
The boom of creator owned comics was the nail in the coffin for the big two. There isn't a single person writing for them who isn't just collecting a paycheck, except for Johns and Simone. No one else actually enjoys writing for the big two. This is the biggest problem, there is no excitement, no fun anymore, everyone is saving their creative passion and enthusiasm for their creator owned comics.

On the flipside though if you're a fan of creator owned this is a much better decade so far than the 00s were.
>>
>>94527916
Social media became the primary source of entertainment to most people in the world. This is a problem that all other forms of media are facing right now.
>>
Hey I liked Uncanny X-Force and Future Foundation
>>
>>94527916
I think the demise of the artist superstar is at the core. You need a star system. The fact that you can't control the stars and they go off and make money for themselves is beside the point. That's when you make new stars. Can you imagine if hollywood just decided stars were too much trouble?
There is a bunch of other stuff too, but that's the central matter, imo.
Artists don't move the needle today- but they're the ones who traditionally moved it in the past.
>>
>>94530549
Don't act like creator owned comics aren't 90% shitty movie/tv pitches.
>>
>>94527916
>Morrison
>churning out pure shit
Millar pls
>>
>>94533669
Oh, they are, but then again most things are shit anyway. And between writing shit you own and shit for someone else, people choose the former.
>>
>>94533827
Irrelevant, you said it's a good time for creator owned stuff but it's not. I don't give a fuck about how much money these corporations or people make.
>>
>>94533669
This is sort of a myth unless you assume to know what every creator is thinking. A lot of people write comics like they're writing TV shows (BKV being a main offender) but that doesn't mean they're trying to make a TV show.
>>
>>94527916
>>storylines and characters created solely for headlines by "big boy" news websites (X is now gay! Y comic features a trans character! F becomes president! N has been a nazi all along!)
This is no different from how comics have always been, ESPECIALLY in the 00's. There just used to be more "shocking" murder and violence.

Also in the fucking 90's Marvel had a HUGE newsbait reveal of Northstar being gay.

Fucking tired of you idiots who started reading in the 10's acting like the 00's were any better, or that you have any idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>94528015
What about Batman vs Fudd?
>>
>>94536089
>Fucking tired of you idiots who started reading in the 10's acting like the 00's were any better, or that you have any idea what you're talking about

Everybody ease up, Pappy's gettin' tired.
>>
>>94527916
>What went so, so wrong?
You're only reading capes, that's what went wrong.
>>
>>94536989
>small publishers becoming 90% TV pitch factory
illiterate anon btfo
>>
>>94537040
>90% TV pitch factory
Just because everything Miller is writing is getting tv/film deals doesn't mean that the rest of the industry is. You're overblowing the severity of it all.
>>
>>94537177
>Miller
>>
>>94537257
Is this your hobby?
it's kind of sad.
>>
>>94536089
I can't speak for the anon you're replying to, but I was actually around during the 90's. Northstar had coverage but it wasn't like coverage in the last five years. Moreso because at the time it was seen as super-controversial and (according to Peter David) one toy retailer threatened to remove all Marvel product, so Marvel kept it quiet about Northstar after.

And how much comics actually got mentioned in mainstream media outlets? Death of Superman was an obvious one, maybe Knightfall, but all other big events were usually just relegated to Wizard or CBG or the other comic book related mags. Usually when comics got mentioned in the media it was about how people were buying comics as an investment or Marvel going bankrupt. I sure as fuck didn't hear anything about Hal Jordan becoming a villain or dying in the mainstream media. I remembered seeing Iceman's outing being mentioned on news sites that didn't have anything to do with comics. Same with Ultimate Peter's death and replacement by Miles Morales.
>>
I Blame Disney.
>>
>>94527977
Waid was great back in the day and anybody who says different is a /pol/-mouthing retard.

Morrison has been running in place since 2005 and nobody can deny that.
>>
>>94537921
Clone Saga also got a fair bit of coverage, even in the WSJ. Basically, mainstream comics coverage is a highlight reel of the industry's cheapest stunts.
>>
>>94537921
In the 9's every single mainstream article I ever read about comics boiled down to "BANG! POW! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!"
>>
>>94538050
Anon, I am left as fuck, and I've never liked Waid. He's boring. KC is dad comics and His FF run is especially shit.
>>
>>94538050
>Morrison has been running in place since 2005 and nobody can deny that.

I hate to say this, but I would rather take Morrison running in place over much of Waid's recent work and a lot of Rucka's work.
>>
>>94537177
Even shit like Cowboy Ninja Viking is getting a movie. Spencer's, Edmondson's, Justin Jordan's entire indie output are tv pitches
>>
>>94539402
I never got the impression Luther Strode was a TV pitch.
>>
File: why.tiff.exe.mp3.avi.rar.jpg (3MB, 1987x2000px) Image search: [Google]
why.tiff.exe.mp3.avi.rar.jpg
3MB, 1987x2000px
>>94527916
Everybody laughed at my image 5 years ago, don't cry now faggots
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.