[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character Assassination

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: cable-mvc2-vs.jpg (43KB, 526x524px) Image search: [Google]
cable-mvc2-vs.jpg
43KB, 526x524px
So I really want to start reading stuff with Cable and Cyclops, but I hear their characters get ruined by shitty writers later on. Is it even worth it?
Who else got shafted by bad writers?
>>
>>94520187
read the adventures of cyclops and phoenix.
>>
>>94520187
Writers have TRIED to kill the Summers. But they failed.
>>
>>94520187
Just stop reading after second coming.
>>
iceman
>>
File: Cable 60_Casey-Ladronn.jpg (225KB, 640x983px) Image search: [Google]
Cable 60_Casey-Ladronn.jpg
225KB, 640x983px
I've heard the Joe Casey run on Cable was pretty good. I haven't actually read it myself, but I do like a lot of Casey's other comics work. And part of the run was illustrated by Jose Ladronn, so there's something.
>>
>>94520187
Emma
Mystique
>>
>>94520228
It only made them more right.
>>
>>94520647
That and Soldier X are both bretty gud
>>
>>94520187
ALL CHARACTERS (who are not directly creator controlled) are eventually wrecked by bad writers.
It's a thing. Though good writers can retcon that stuff back on track if they care enough to do so.
But most of the time these complaints aren't about actual bad writers, they're about fans with control issues not just accepting the story being told to them.
Cyclops died a martyr for the cause.
How else was he supposed to go out?
SPOILER: . Scott's not dead! He literally can not die! That's actually true. Wait and see. .

And I don't know what criteria is being used to define Cable as "ruined", but his Uncanny Avengers run was classic soldier-from-fucked-canon-does-Right.
Cable's a hammer, he does one role, and he does it well. How can that get "ruined"?
SPOILER: . By revealing his romantic interest in Deadpool? I think that would do it. .

These are not real problems. Characters evolve, they get placed in new situations, sometimes they change a lot.
If done right, these things are seen as character growth, and without that the character becomes 2-dimensional, so don't knock it.

>>94520330
Take your homophobia back to /pol/, you know you don't even know Bobby's last name.

>>94520833
What's wrong with Mystique?
>>
>>94520187
It happened to Scarlet Witch, I think. I don't know the full details, but apparently there was a time when she suffered a mental breakdown, lost control of her powers and did something evil. Then she recovered from that and spent a long time developing as a character and rebuilding her mental stability and relationships. She even got married (to the android Vision) and had children together.

Then another writer decided to undo all that and have her go through a bigger mental breakdown, which results in her going completely out of control and rewriting the entire world (which was previously nowhere near within her power), before having another mental breakdown in the rewritten world and changing it back but also attempting to wipe mutants out of existence in the process. Also, her kids were both demons she summoned subconsciously, because androids don't have souls and marrying them is wrong.
>>
>>94522632
Drake.
>homophobia
Lol.
>>
>>94520187
Madelyn Pryor. Except it was shitty editors, since Claremont was writing this.

She went a complete 180, and its stupid that they thought this was *the* way to go to get Scot into X-Factor
>>
>>94523593
Scarlet Witch Wanda Maximoff started out as a weak-willed woman unable to make her own decisions who was guilt-tripped into being a supervillain by Magneto, then after joining up with the Avengers, Magneto even managed to con her back into being a baddie again by revealing he was her bastard father.
That's her original sin.
FYI: Robots tend to be impotent.
( I wonder who fathered those kids... )
The writer who had her go "House-of-M" nuts was Brian Bendis, and that was after losing her twin newborns to a magic retcon other people brow-beat her into spell-casting, and having Professor X mess with her head for a couple of months.
All in all, she was under a lot of stress when that went down.
I forgive her. But I'm not a mutant.

>>94523620
Go prance back to /pol/, closet-case.
LITERALLY the only difference in the character is that he's now out as gay.
You can't make a value judgement that his character has been "assassinated" without the express implication that just being gay devalues the character.
They intentionally wrote it that way.
YOU ARE A BIGOT. time to look in that mirror.
... LOL!!! LOL!!! - HURR, I can laugh too!
Now doesn't that "LOL" just validate my opinion?

>>94524435
Nice choice. There's a whole crazy backstory around those editorial dick moves you wouldn't believe. It's incredible that they actually willingly chose to kill the goose that lay golden eggs like that.
And you ever notice how meta her motives were?
"Just because she's not the original Jean she's rejected? Well, to Hell with you all!"
>>
>>94520187
Every Spider-Man character except for Doc Ock.
>>
>>94524754
Not the other anon but it's obvious you haven't read Iceman's solo run yet. He's not the same old Iceman who happens to be gay, he's super fruity unlikable iceman whos a total bitch to his parents and needs an entire issue to beat up a guy wearing hockey gear. Decades of relationships/character history out the fucking window and his personality completely changed, for the worse. So yeah, i'd call that a character assassination even if it wasn't intentional.
>>
House of M (background for what's to come; barely has Cyclops&Cable)
Messiah Complex
Messiah War
Second Coming

In that order. Stop when done.
>>
File: modern_x-men_rec.png (1007KB, 7211x1035px) Image search: [Google]
modern_x-men_rec.png
1007KB, 7211x1035px
>>94520187
>>
>>94520187
>but I hear their characters get ruined by shitty writers later on
Who hasn't been ruined by shitty writers? Characters are constantly evolving and usually anything memorable about them is retained while the rest is swept under the rug.
>>
Speaking of character assassination, whatever happened to Bishop?
>>
>>94525542
Try reading those past decades of character development for once, instead of just oogling Iceman's pictures.
I think you'll really be offended by how much Bendis must have time-travelled to rewrite Bobby's characterization. Or at the very least, you'll finally know why for years all those other characters kept calling Iceman annoying ... just like you just did.
Funny how one little detail can make you knee-jerk hate everything about someone, ain't it?
I wonder if there's any comics about fighting that sort of thing ...

>>94525840
He was eventually forgiven by Hope after having his arm regrown in an alternate future where he had learned he was wrong about what Hope would eventually do while fighting evil bear ghosts and Cassandra Nova.
But yeah, THAT was a character assassination.
Bishop was supposed to be superhero bad-cop. It was so simple. WTF?
>>
>>94527130
You still don't get it, do you? The issue here is not that Iceman is a homosexual character now. It is that he is a badly written one. This is the problem with modern Marvel. They make all these token minority characters, or change existing ones to fit the bill, but none of the writers are talented enough to make it work in an interesting or innovate way, so we get these poorly written characters shoehorned into the canon via even more poorly written stories that revolve around nothing but the fact that these characters are a minority, and for that alone we should applaud them.
But what makes this whole situation worse is that whenever someone calls them out on it, dense motherfuckers like you pass it off as a personal attack on the minority group those characters are a part of, since that's all they've got going for themselves. So stop fighting your /pol/ boogeyman and accept that maybe people might have a legitimate reason for disliking what happened with Iceman, even if you don't happen to agree with it.
>>
>>94520187
ur mum
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.