[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will it be good, /co/? Batman made me cautious.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 18

File: Mister-Miracle-1-Cover-Color.jpg (2MB, 1200x1821px) Image search: [Google]
Mister-Miracle-1-Cover-Color.jpg
2MB, 1200x1821px
Will it be good, /co/? Batman made me cautious.
>>
>>94511179
Given that Vision and Omega men were shorter series that involves more obscure character like this here, it's probably going to be great
>>
>>94511179
King is very good at writing weird shit, see Batman Elmur Fudd crossover
So I have a good interest in this
>>
>muh PTSD once again
>completely fails to get Orion
>Mister Miracle kills himself because look at how edgy and cool I am
>muh Game of Thrones comparisons
>muh Jesus analogies
>mediocre, unfitting art
It's shit.

>>94511471
Fuck off, Kingshitter.
>>
File: Mister Miracle 006.jpg (169KB, 900x1323px) Image search: [Google]
Mister Miracle 006.jpg
169KB, 900x1323px
It will be good. No one can replicate Kirby, everyone who has tried has failed on some level if not all levels. King is taking a "King does Kirby" approach which is what the only two previously successful New Gods writers, Timm and Morrison, did.
>>
It will be good but likely not true to the New Gods. Just based on interviews you can tell he's making shit up on Orion.
>>
>>94511519
>Implying Omega Men wasn't great
>Implying Vision wasn't great
Kings not good at writing everything, but more obscure charcaters in a limited series? That's where he shines, hell, he made a fucking batman/Elmer Fudd crossover really damn good
>>
>>94511179
It'll bring out characterfag tears so by default it'll be good.
>>
>>94511561
He's already proven himself to be awful with the New Gods based on that latest interview.
>>
>>94511578
I've not read any interviews about this book, mind sharing?
>>
>>94511594
http://www.cbr.com/interview-tom-king-tackles-new-gods-mythology-in-mister-miracle/
>>
>>94511561
Ignore Kingautist there. He'll enter every thread that mentions King, throw a bitchfit, make stupid claims and get BTFO and then repeat the cycle all over again.
>>
>>94511179
It could either be great or awful, we'll have to see. Though personally I likley wont be able to stop comparing it to the Seven Soldiers mini, which will be hard to top.
>>
>>94511621
How did I get "BTFO" again? I'm the only one who's made a rational argument so far as to why this series will suck ass.

But sure, keep being a cocksucking casual and ignore how King's MM will take a massive shit all over New Gods mythos.
>>
>>94511646
>I'm the only one who's made a rational argument

Where?
>>
As a major Kirby/4th World fan, I'm seriously interested. It seems like kind of an odd fit, but I've liked pretty much everything King's done so far (yes, Including his Batman), so I'm cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>94511675
Right here >>94511519 (You) illiterate autist.
>>
>>94511646
>being a non ironic characterfag
Into the trash you go.
>>
Wether it's going to be good or bad, it's definetly going to be "interesting"
>>
>>94511179
His interview makes me think no. He doesn't understand the characters and is taking advice from the wrong people.
>>
>>94511702

No.
>>
>>94511722
Nice ad hominem, faggot. Now go play with your Xbone and let the adults do the talking.
>>
File: STK661293.jpg (729KB, 535x772px) Image search: [Google]
STK661293.jpg
729KB, 535x772px
>>94511520
>the only two previously successful New Gods writers, Timm and Morrison

*ahem*
>>
>>94511757
Not an argument. Try again.
>>
>>94511547
He's not making shit up on Orion. This is how Starling wrote him, it's how Byrne wrote him, it's how Waid(briefly) wrote him(and King has been talking to Waid). It's not Kirby's Orion, but it's not something King made up, he's just an imbecile for following these hacks instead of Kirby.
>>
>>94511752
That interview said interesting things about Scott with regards to Scott and his own duality, along with unexplored but intriguing ideas about his dynamics with Granny and Highfather.

But it also showed that King is fucking retarded when it comes to Orion
>>
File: bait_shit.jpg (63KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait_shit.jpg
63KB, 625x626px
>>94511763
>getting buttblasted over funnybooks made for literal 12 years old
>he claimed himself an adult
>>
>>94511561
Omega Men and Vision both had some real problems though.
>>
>>94511806
Caring about things gives my live validation
>>
>>94511794
It's crazy because just last week we got a pretty good Orion one shot too!
>>
>>94511785
>MUH MUH MUH >:'(
Speaking of non-arguments...
>>
>>94511811
I'd love to hear them. Haven't read any of those because of the mixed reception to I want to know what I'm in for if I decide to read them
>>
>>94511800
Scott has always been a manchild and never as interesting of a character as other new gods. Even in Simonson's series he wasn't the most interesting part of the book.
>muh I gotta kill my evil father
>muh destiny has been forged since birth
Yeah tough shit pal.
>>
>>94511806
More of an adult than your fallacy-spewing ass in any case.
>>
>>94511867
>Scott
>>
>>94511604
Not being funny, what's exactly wrong with that?
>>
>>94511832
Alright, explain what's wrong with the arguments I brought forth, without resorting to memes like a literal child.
>>
>>94511891
It's just completely missing the core of Orion and using very bad cliches in their place.
>>
>>94511800
Yeah but the way he put it with Orion made me think he doesn't get Scott either. Like, he just sees Scott as someone that suffered physically for New Gods sins because otherwise he'd understand the emotional strain Orion had to go through, the fact that he's destined to be this savior and kill Darkseid, the fact that he has a destiny all written out for him, the fact that he's an animal that was raised in the wrong place and how trapped he felt and how he probably wishes he was a kinder man, it's that relationship with Lightray that he has where he can snap at him and then feel bad but Lightray's all like "don't sweat it, we're bros".
>>
>>94511891
Read the second part of the interview.
>>
>>94511519
>I only read Batman Rebirth so Tom King sucks!
>>
>>94511857
They've gotten good enough reaction to warrant a read of couple of issues at the very least. Do you honestly expect every cocksucker on internet to tell you they're masterpiece and then only will you be able to bring yourself to read those books? Read them and make up your mind faggot.
>>
>>94511916
I just don't understand how King could miss things so hard.

Orion is RIDDLED with really understandable insecurities. He hides his true face and spent YEARS of his childhood in one of Apokolip's lowlie slums.
>>
>>94511878
Not an argument
>>
>>94511949
No, but if you can't even remember the name of the character whose run you are referencing it devalues your stance
>>
>>94511930
I have read Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men and Vision too, you blithering retard. They're all the same fucking shit.
>>
>>94511905
You want to give actual examples rather than just saying "he doesnt get muh new gods"
>>
>>94511857
>Haven't read any of those
Then what's the point? He just had some "shock" twists for Vision that didn't make any sense and where only there to set up epic tweests and shit. And then in Omega Men he shows Kyle hopelessly in love with Carol but then he sleeps with Kalista and gets a bit emotionally involved too.
>>
File: orion.jpg (398KB, 1281x1889px) Image search: [Google]
orion.jpg
398KB, 1281x1889px
What did he say about Orion that makes anons keep saying he doesn't get him?
>>
>>94511829
It was pretty meh and Orion was still a bit too much of an asshole compared to Kirby's. Also dialogue sucked.
>>
>>94511895
>without resorting to memes like a literal child.
>says this in defense of an argument based on a literal meme
Nice of you to admit that you're a child.

>muh PTSD once again
Whoa, where?
>completely fails to get Orion
Failed?
>Mister Miracle kills himself because look at how edgy and cool I am
Whoa where?
>muh Game of Thrones comparisons
Whoa where?
>muh Jesus analogies
Whoa where?
>mediocre, unfitting art
Whoa where?
Your entirely speculative argument, It's shit.
>>
>>94511872
>he said while posting on Bangkokian transgender erotica posting forum
>>
>>94511961
>>94511971
Well, King describes Orion as a bully who grew up in luxury and pretty much states that this makes his angst less valid. Because he hasn't had any actual turmoil or pain thrust upon him.

King isn't stating this as part of a new take, but as some kind of fact.

When Kirby's run actually goes in to great detail as to why that's not the case. Orion doesn't feel like he belongs, goes to great lengths to pretend, is torn between his innate violent nature and the love he has learned on New Genesis - and spent his childhood in a Lowly Pit.

These are things that King is simply pretending didn't happen or aren't part of Orion's personality profile.
>>
>>94511957
I'm not going to attack your taste since everyone has preferences but what did you not like about them?
>>
>>94511955
Still not an argument. And I don't double check before shitposting about children's escapist fantasy books.
>>
>>94512042
>And I don't double check before shitposting about children's escapist fantasy books.

Then why you here man?
>>
>>94512023
It's amazing how the definitive take on Orion is by Starlin/Byrne and not Kirby. It's like people didn't actually read Kirby's New Gods.
>>
>>94511933
I expect people to be able to tell me what they think and why. My lcs doesn't have any single issues of any Tom king series so I would have to buy a whole trade off amazon. Why should I spend so much money just to "make my own opinion" if I could instead give strangers on the Internet the opportunity to talk about the hobby they are passionate about? It's not like I substitute others opinions for my own, or is this something you would do? My(and everyone's) time and money ate limited and I can't check out everything that may warrant checking out, so am I the bad guy for trying to reach out to people?
>>
>>94511971
He compares Orion to a prep school kid who's never had real problems and says there's a gulf of suffering between him and Scott who truly grew up on Apokolips. He makes a very direct Jesus analogue about Scott too and says that his lightheartedness is only a way to cover up how broken he is inside.

You can see how the Jesus thing might go.
>>
>>94512069
It's crazy that I like King's minis. I think he's a really talented writer.

But somehow Shane Davis is coming out on top here as getting stuff.
>>
>>94512023
So Orion faces existential angst of a luxurious first worlder? That's just very average motivations and characterization tbqh all things considered.
>>
>>94512005
>doesn't read interviews and previews
Thanks for admitting you're mentally challenged. I think we're done here.
>>
>>94512070
>Why should I spend so much money just to "make my own opinion"
The Omega Men series is collected in one cheap tpb. Buying it over 2 singles issues is more cost effective. Also, you can always pirate and issue or two, you fagget. You're literally on 4chan.
>>
>>94512071
Even if he does the whole ressurection 'escape from death' thing it wont have as much impact, because Shilo already pulled it off.
>>
>>94512106
Yeah, a bit.
But Kirby being Kirby he adds layers of bombast to pull it off - and then compounds it by tying it into the larger dynamic between him and Highfather.

Once Bekka comes into the mix...it's a becomes sort of a struggle of learned behavior in the absence of love.
>>
>>94511179
I'll wait to see how the first few issues are before passing judgement. It's written well, but its doing a lot of things with the characters I don't like.

1. The plot seems to be Scott trapped in Omega Sanction which is basically what Morrison already did with Shiloh in Seven Soldiers.

2. I see what King is trying to do with portraying Scott as this kind of slubby everyman. But Scott was always outgoing. He was a performer. He had a student in Shiloh a waifu in Barda and a friend in Oberon. He was outgoing and full of energy.

3.I see what King is doing with Orion and I don't like it. I hate that the noble warrior with a dark side that Kirby wrote is constantly misunderstood by writers. He's jealous of Scott like Kalbak was jealous of him. It's interesting, but it's not Orion. Orion isn't going to come to Scott's house to beat him up. He was friends with LIGHTRAY for fucks sake.
>>
>>94512106
No? Orion never actually gets to enjoy the "ETERNAL OPTIMISMS OF NEW GENESIS". He spends all his time fighting a covert war. ALL his time. The little rest he gets is like this big event for him and he can't stand it.
>>
>>94512106
He's essentially the God of War living in a society that abhors any sort of violence.
>>
>>94512164
>implying Kingshitters read other writers' works
lol
they'll applaud like the trained seals they are
>>
>>94512090
Yeah I like King's previous minis too. And his GL one shot. And the first couple of Grayson issues. But I really dislike the fact that he's listening to the wrong people and trying to please people instead of doing something HE can be proud of. I feel like his work has gotten worse with time despite the fact that he's a fairly creative dude and one of the last worthwhile new voices in comics but he seems to have fallen into a spot where he thinks he has to do certain things that made him popular in the fist place.
>>
>>94512057
To shitpost if I'm being real. There aren't many boards here on this site that promote any kind of intellectual discussions and this board certainly doesn't welcome it. Whenever I do want talk about modernist and post-modernist conflictions of Alan Moore's work or post structuralist and reformist underpinnings of Grant Morrison's or American identity in pessimistic outlook of Chris Ware's strips text I head over to /lit/. Sorry if it sounds derogatory and too pretentious but it's the truth.
>>
>>94512164
It's just not that but the idea of sacrifice over confrontation to defeat evil. And maybe in contrast to Orion? Depends how thick he's going to lay it on.
>>
>>94512219
Well, as long as you're not for real.
It's just a drought of really well done New Gods material most of the time.

I mean, that one shot was pretty damn good.

>>94512211
I had no idea he was listening to Waid. It explains so much.
>>
>>94512123
You caught me kid, I don't give a shit about the book and only saw your "MUH" posting as I was scrolling down page 1, but while I've been outed as a non-factor in this debate you're still a self-described literal child. You self destructed on a shadow of a foe, good job!
>inb4 only pretending to be retarded
I was only interested in the faggot posting frog-tier memes as arguments lmao
>>
>>94512207
Honestly characterfaggotry is the reason that this medium is so stagnant. Nobody needs to it has to read previous work if it stands on its own.
>>
>>94512249
>pretty damn good.
Come on man... I know Darkseid War was a turd and all stuff but that one shot was just okay with shitty art.
>>
Bottom line is, I was excited for more New Gods content but I don't want to read a story written by someone who doesn't even understand or respect one of the major characters.
>>
>>94512293
Probably true, but it showed effort and Orion needs most of the love. Hahah.

>>94512291
If it was more of a stand on it's own work then I'd be more cool with it.
But King is stating it as matter of fact...which just puts into question "How?"
>>
>>94512291
Tell that to the nuMarvel crowd.
>>
>>94512291
If you're deliberately being obtuse for the sake of being antagonistic fine. But there's a bit difference between taking inspiration when writing a character from his creator and the person that actually wrote him as a character with layers or from two hacks that wrote the same character as bland and one dimensional, one of these guys is a person that actually has a grudge against the creator too and probably intentionally shat on his characters as some sort of petty revenge.
>>
I have zero faith in Mitch Gerads to draw anything cosmic or fantastical. It's gonna blow
>>
>>94512249
Not shitposting now, New Gods was never about narrative and whenever those characters were forced in a plot, the end result was shit/mediocre. Kirby's labyrinthian world building is the draw, seeing the mishmash of all the craziness that went through his head and came out on papers is the reason to like new gods. It's just too high concept with too much going on to be cohered into a linear narrative, even Kirby himself shit the bed there. People don't know what to expect from this mythology and they'll never be satisfied. I'm not personally subjectively invested so I can just enjoy stuff if it tickles a fancy or whatever.
>>
>>94512307
Honestly just knowing we're getting reprints of the Kirby stuff is enough. I'd prefer if it wasn't a giant 1500 page omnibus, but since Mister Miracle is getting a solo collection maybe the rest will come.
>>
>>94512451
I was satisfied with the Shane Davis one-shot.
Just something that uses the characters and, if it's trying to do something with how they are, does it well enough.
>>
>>94512451
Kirby wrote the Saga as myth, as legend. Writers need to do that again. The charterers have potential for something, there are layers and shit that you can find in Kirby';s original comics and you can build upon them and develop them further. People aren't satisfied because for the most part the New Gods are all ignored with just Darkseid showing up as an angry punchy alien. And that's not just far away from what Kirby wrote, but it's also boring.
>>
>>94512560
I thought King was a really good choice, at the start from his minis. The slower somewhat detached but still engaging frameworks seemed like a good fit for a way to tell the story.

Didn't expect all this though
>>
>>94512451
Kirby's New Gods stuff works really well as a narrative when you take Hunger Dogs as an ending.

Orion defeating Darksied by -not- fighting him was and will always be the best ending possible to his story. It shows that Orion has become a son of Highfather and Peace rather than a son of Darksied and War.
>>
>>94512560
Nobody is going to out Kirby Kirby, Starlin tried, Morrison tried. It's just not possible. Best thing that could have been done was if the characters were completely given over to someone like Moore or Gaiman and they told a character centric story of big scale. Maybe that happens in the future, for the time being I don't think there should be a New Gods story, only story about characters who are New Gods.
>>
>>94512710
The Hunger Dogs has flaws, but it brings the entire "cycle" to an really natural thematic conclusion.

It's astounding how well it works in conjunction to The Pact when Kirby didn't plan that shit out back then.
>>
> Orion's like the bully with rich parents whose life isn't as bad as he whines it is

What a retard
>>
>>94511519

Wow so you've read it already?!

Where'd you get your fancy time machine, that must have been expensive, aren't you worried it might give you cancer?
>>
>>94512671
Same. But sadly he's fallen into a habit where he thinks he has to do certain things like his dialogue and he's also asking the wrong people for pointers on what to do with this series. Also, the story of how he got offered the title should've been a red flag.
>>
>>94512710
>It shows that Orion has become a son of Highfather and Peace
Didn't Highfather just blow up Apokolips? Peace... right. But the idea of defeating him without fighting is good, yes. Sadly, the Kirby that did Hunger Gods was an old and not mentally 100%.
>>
>>94512106
>>94512193
No you stupid retards.

He's Ares living in Heaven. His very nature is abhorrent to his neighbors.

If he doesn't get his regular doses of PING PING PING he turns into a young Darksied, the spitting image of the enemy of his people and all free life both in body and spirit.

Fuck you casuals. Read some comics.
>>
>>94512977
>Blow up Apokalips

What the fuck version of Hunger Dogs did you read?
>>
>>94511520
>Timm
>Successful new gods writer
What?
>>
>>94511519
>mediocre, unfitting art
Thank you
>>
>>94512023
>Orion doesn't feel like he belongs, goes to great lengths to pretend, is torn between his innate violent nature and the love he has learned on New Genesis - and spent his childhood in a Lowly Pit.
How is this not common knowledge? I understood it from Kingdom Come and Morrison alone.
>>
File: hunger dogs.jpg (1001KB, 2400x1589px) Image search: [Google]
hunger dogs.jpg
1001KB, 2400x1589px
Why as Darkseid so sad in Hunger Dogs? What point was Kirby trying to make with the way the character developed?
>>
>>94511767
I found it to be his poor man's Thor.
>>
>>94512713
Starlin tried to shit on it. Morrison didn't use the New Gods a lot and tried to move them forward when he did. You're taking King's quote and repeating ithim but King is actually trying to out Kirby Kirby by reinterpreting the characters instead of building upon what Kirby set up. remember, he never got to finish the Fourth World Saga so there's a lot of stuff that got set up but never truly got followed up.
>>
>>94512977
>Didn't Highfather just blow up Apokolips?

Darkseid was going destroy both planets with his high yield Micro Mark bombs. The "peace" thing is really that Orion decides not to fight Darkseid to the death and die himself in the destruction. Leaving Darkseid on the doomed planet alone.

>>94512986
>If he doesn't get his regular doses of PING PING PING he turns into a young Darksied

In face. but the Motherbox doesn't do anything but disguise his form.
>>
File: P00041.jpg (814KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
P00041.jpg
814KB, 1988x3056px
>>94513045
>Why as Darkseid so sad in Hunger Dogs? What point was Kirby trying to make with the way the character developed?

He was lonely.
He had killed his best and only friend, and the war was coming to a head.
>>
>>94513073
>In face. but the Motherbox doesn't do anything but disguise his form.
Technically, yeah. But Orion's most brutal and angry moments take place wearing his true face.
>>
>>94513045
Because he wanted to defeat New Genesis with sturm and drang but sold out to use Micro-mike which he found abhorrent as a cheap impersonal weapon.

His last chance at bringing the war to some kind of epic conclusion was in fighting Orion but Orion NOPED off while laughing at what a lonely loser Darksied was without New Genesis to fight.

In the end Darksied was defeated by getting everything he ever wanted and as a god of totalitarianism that's the saddest way to lose.
>>
File: The New Gods (1971-1978) 008-023.jpg (840KB, 1440x2213px) Image search: [Google]
The New Gods (1971-1978) 008-023.jpg
840KB, 1440x2213px
>>94513106
True, it's a nice visual cue.
But Lightray and Bekka accepting it makes for some poignant moments.
Not the least of which being that Orion cannot do that for himself.
>>
>>94513073
It also calms him down.

The face changes with his personality. When Orion couldn't use Mother Box in that one JLA issue where Adam Strange captures them all he has to be restrained to keep from going full Hulk.
>>
>>94513190

Thiis is fanfic trash. Kirby never intended that.
>>
>>94513190
>The face changes with his personality. When Orion couldn't use Mother Box in that one JLA issue where Adam Strange captures them all he has to be restrained to keep from going full Hulk.
That was such a shit story, don't bring it up please.
>>
>>94513069
That's not what out Kirby Kirby means. It's the exact opposite.
>>
>>94512023
More to the point, Orion DOESN'T BULLY ANYONE. He's rambunctious and has a temper that flares in combat, but never is he anything but completely respectful to innocents. Orion the crazy berserker is a meme. Orion in Kirby's run was more of a warrior poet than anything else.
>>
>>94513229
>>94513250

It's literally stated during his fight with Slig that Mother Box calms him, and when Orion doesn't get enough PING PING PING he goes full Darksied and destroys Slig's innocent Mother Box while laughing maniacally.

Mother Box did more than heal his face.

>>94513276
This is so true. His BFF was LIGHTRAY for fucks sake. Remember when he and High Father bowed to the children of New Genesis?

He's only a berserker in dire combat. Hence the "Dog of War" title.
>>
>>94513276
Well, even in Kirby's run he can be very angrily anti-social outside of combat. Most notably to Lightray. But it's part of his flare ups, yes, and innate character behaviors he is in pains to control.
>>
>>94513069
>You're taking King's quote
And my personal experience. His FF is still untouchable to this day. The book felt like an attempt to write Iliad of this medium and nobody can really do it. In King's case the extremities of cosmic catastrophe are being internalized and we get a psycho semantic look at the characters. I think it's a better approach on experimental level but also a dangerous thing to do considering it can ruin the characters and people will easily dismiss any attempts of storytelling on the pretext if not muh.
>>
File: Orion and Lightray party.jpg (827KB, 979x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Orion and Lightray party.jpg
827KB, 979x1425px
>>94513276
>never is he anything but completely respectful to innocents.
Well, he is kind of rude and to-the-point. He still isn't a bully, but he often feels like there's no time for pleasantries or manners.
>>
File: Orion and Lightray romance crop.jpg (287KB, 904x468px) Image search: [Google]
Orion and Lightray romance crop.jpg
287KB, 904x468px
>>94513348
>>
>>94513348
>>94513276
He's a gruff warrior yes, but he's not going to go to Scott's house just to kick his ass because he thinks Scott is a pussy like in King's run.
>>
>>94513276
As other's have said, it's clear that King is coming from Starlin's writing in Cosmic Odyssey.
>>
File: The New Gods (1971-1978) 009-005.jpg (740KB, 1440x2213px) Image search: [Google]
The New Gods (1971-1978) 009-005.jpg
740KB, 1440x2213px
>>94513392
And here is angrily retorts at Lightray's comment, but immediately apologizes on the next page
>>
I honestly thought the first preview was great. Orion's character may have been a little off even there, but the update of Scott and Barda to this hipster-ish urban couple is a perfect moving on of the kind of young professional suburbia life they had back in the day. Barda stepping in for Scott was great and - despite Orion's repetition - it had some great lines: "Only Granny can teach"

Subsequent previews and interviews have made me less enthusiastic. I think Tom King even references Moore in a more recent one and, OK, Tom King loves Alan Moore and uses the 9 panel grid like a drug but Moore has more variety than just Watchmen, and Moore =/= Kirby. Even writers who have handled them - Waid, Starlin, even Simonson - don't really matter. Kirby is what you ought to go as your touchstone for anything New Gods. He made parallels with his Vision miniseries too, which made me nervous.
>>
>>94513414
Right right, I agree. I still hate King's comments on Orion, I just wanted to address the idea the Orion is nothing but pleasant to people.
>>
>>94513419
Yeah, he's impulsive and his inner demons can come out but he recognizes that he's wrong and apologizes most of the time.
>>
Busiek did say that it's terrific, and I think it'll be better than 99% of the schlock DC is publishing these days.
>>
>>94513430
I think once King does find his voice completely, he'll probably not use 9 panel grids as much. Regardless it's the best visual layout.
>>
>>94513430
Moore did good with the New Gods actually.
>>
>>94513517
Didn't Busiek come out as SJW trash?
>>
>>94513517
People who are not autistic will latch on to themes and ideas being explored.
>>
>>94513536
>Regardless it's the best visual layout.
Don't be a retard, please.
>>
>>94513580
Who would trust in the themes explored when the person using them misses even the most simplistic ones?
>>
File: 1500141221534.jpg (204KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500141221534.jpg
204KB, 900x900px
>>94513543
When did he write New Gods?
>>94513554
Pic related for you.
>>
>>94513590
It is for conventional storytelling.
>>
>>94513616
They appeared briefly in Swamp Thing.
>>
>>94513416
Cosmic Odyssey brought home for me how much Starlin really has only one story to tell, and he's been regurgitating it for 40 years now.
>>
>>94513602
>person using them misses even the most simplistic ones
Most simplistic one what?
>>
>>94513641
There is no best layout for conventional storytelling m8. You can do great work with the 9 panel grid, along with many other layouts. It being somehow uniquely special is a meme.
>>
>>94513646
He didn't write the Metron story if that's what you're referring to.
>>
>>94513055
*shrug* I thought it was the closest to Kirby anyone's ever come with those characters. Different strokes.
>>
>>94513646
That was in a Rick Veitch issue though wasn't it?
>>
>>94513055
I liked Orion better if only because Simonson actually drew most of it. I like Sal Buscema OK, but when I buy Simonson, I want Simonson.
>>
>>94513691
Most efficient, easy to structure around, really effective on basic storytelling level.
>>
>>94513725
New Gods is a great concept, that's it.
>>
>>94513742
Completely agree, at least as a whole. There's nothing in Orion I like as much as the Surtur war though.

DOOM
>>
>>94513745
There's nothing exciting or clever about it though. It's basically training wheels for when you're not confident in your panelling
>>
File: MMIR_Cv1_var.jpg (1MB, 1200x1822px) Image search: [Google]
MMIR_Cv1_var.jpg
1MB, 1200x1822px
Regardless of how King does on the story, Gerad's covers should be awesome.
>>
>>94514005
That is a pretty damn awesome cover for Scott.
>>
>>94514005
>Gerad's covers should be awesome.

And his interiors will be serviceable at best.
>>
i've read it. it's pretty good but that's all based on how yr judging it

if yr judging it based on its faithfulness to new gods mythology then its either just okay or yr gonna have a bad time with the finer points of it

from a storytelling and art perspective its fantastic. The themes, the paneling, the narrative approach, the individual scenes, etc. King and Gerads have a winner here
>>
>>94514048
Looking at the interiors from the preview, I feel like DC told him to do his best Frazer Irving impression or something.
>>
>>94514120
Too lazy to spell out you're and your, eh?
>>
File: IMG_1855.jpg (199KB, 653x991px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1855.jpg
199KB, 653x991px
>>94514005
I've had the issue 2 variant as my phone screensaver for over a month.
>>
>>94514232
I think he just copy pasted Busiek's tweets.
>>
>>94514239
Is that a New Genesis gun?
>>
>>94514232
yeah and what bearing does that have on any of this

"durrrr i know i'll shit on his premeditated misspellings or his grammar that'll show em"
>>
>>94511520
Oh boy, Funky Flashman!?
>>
>>94514576
King confirmed he's gonna be in the series.
>>
>>94514576

I can't believe Marvel ever hired Jack back after that. Apparently Roy Thomas always had a sense of humor about it.
>>
>>94514632
Yeah but everything he said about him makes me wanna slap him.
>>
File: IMG_1919.jpg (258KB, 791x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1919.jpg
258KB, 791x1200px
Torn on whether to go for Derington or Gerad's covers.
>>
>>94514668
...I have a dirty mind.
>>
>>94514668
Gerads #1, Derrington #2
>>
>>94514705
Explain.
>>
>>94512193
You might be designated - but you aren't definitive.
>>
>>94514666
And what did he say about him?
>>
>>94515284
Seconded
>>
>>94511179
I have faith
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.