[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Celebrity Deathmatch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (19KB, 320x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 320x420px
What does /co/ think of Celebrity Deathmatch?
>>
File: Knockout_NickDiamond-TheAlien.jpg (44KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Knockout_NickDiamond-TheAlien.jpg
44KB, 640x360px
Man this show was my jam. I remember the first episode I saw was Spice Girls vs Hansen. My mom called me down to watch it, since it was claymation and I liked both bands at the time. Turned out to be one of our favorite shows. Pic related and Bigfoot vs Nessie were my favs.
>>
It was great at the time. Loved Stone Cold commentating on The Nanny's match.
>>
>>94498371
I fuckin loved it as a kid.

And after a rewatch it still holds up. I wish they'd make a new run with current celebrities.
>>
>>94498371
Needs more attention. I still remember Nick and Johnny's voices, clear as day.
>>
I kind of remember the video game
>>
>>94498371
I remember watching it when I was 10 behind my mom's back. Most of the time I didn't know or care who were fighting, I only wanted to see extreme violence and gore.
>>
This show was so based.
>>
I'LL ALLOW IT
>>
>>94499248
I think this show was the origin of my ryona fetish.
>>
>>94498371
I liked it when I watched it. Still think it could work if people don't freak out about them dying and avoid politics
>>
File: leave britney alone.png (754KB, 938x666px) Image search: [Google]
leave britney alone.png
754KB, 938x666px
>>94499248
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8AGDGVFGjM2lwOmvqYJRIMXIw9__8KL6
>>
>>94499502
>Claymation can't be ki-
>>
>>94498371

I am honestly amazed that it lasted as long as it did and got a videogame based on it, to boot. The joke got real old, real fast. Literally the only good thing about it was Steve Austin -- and that is because Steve Austin at least marginally improves anything he graces with his presence.
>>
>>94498371

It wasn't the funniest thing on Adult Swim/Robot Chicken.

I think it needs a knowledge of celebrity culture OR a love the gore and ridiculous violence. I mean, I could care less if they got say the Kardashians or Caitlyn Jenner fighting Ivanka Trump or Bill O'Rielly. Or Adele fighting Jay Zee. I'm sure people would love it but it would be stupidity like Family Guy, but more adult rated.
>>
>>94500626
It was MTV you fuckwit, never was on Adult Swim.
>>
>>94500626

At the time of the show's original airing, a lot of the celebrities they used were well-established in the public eye -- especially among members of the show's target audience. This was possible, at least in part, because the Internet had yet to become a widespread phenomenon and splinter media. The late '90s/early 2000s media consolidation led to a lot of celebrity gossip and news being mistaked for actual news -- again, especially to the show's target audience -- so people knew a lot about the private lives of public figures such as Britney Spears.

And yes, the gore was one major appeal. But once the novelty of seeing parodies of celebrities getting literally gored wore off, what little value the show had left was in the parodies of the celebrities themselves.
>>
>>94500626
Born in the wrong age, eh?
>>
>>94502308 Nope.
>>94500732 hey, I smoked too much pot to pay that much attention
>>
>>94502330

That explains your stellar mediocrity.
>>
>>94498371

It was great for the time. And as it stands now, I can't look at it without huge nostalgia goggles. Was really something that still gives off huge 90s vibes.
>>
>>94498822
I fear a remake wouldn't work in today's environment. Can you imagine the outrage over a woman or minority getting beat up by another white celebrity? What would Twitter say?
>>
>>94502352

That happened a lot on the old show and they never got a lot of shit for it. The only reason it wouldn't work these days is because it would have too narrow an appeal -- that is, all the "celebrities" would be people that only the current MTV audience would know enough about to get all the jokes.

Britney Spears vs Christina Aguilera worked because people got the joke -- two similar teen pop dreamgirls fighting it out with each other to see who would become the baddest bitch in the room -- and that was because people knew who the hell Britney and Xtina were. Part of that broader knowledge and appeal can be placed on the media landscape of the time and the older members of MTV's audience getting more of the jokes.

Oh, and it also wouldn't work because it's a one-note joke that would go stale even faster than the show's original run.
>>
>>94502352
I seem to recall a huge disclaimer before the show, just slap one of those on it. It's worked for South Park.
>>
>>94502447

The disclaimer was to point out how the show was a parody, not for any kind of "ZOMG YOU MIGHT BE OFFENDED" bullshit.
>>
>>94498822
They tried several years ago (think around 8 or so years ago) but I am not even sure it lasted a season. I think it would have succeeded as a long running show that has been on this whole time but bringing shows back has some curse attached to it, whether a show is good or bad they are pretty much dead on arrival with only a few revivals and reboots getting a second season.
>>
The episode where Lucy Lawless anal vores Calista Flockhart gave me some weird boners as a kid.
>>
>>94499221
I loved the violence but if I did not know at least one of the combatants I wouldn't pay attention as much

>>94502330
Not paying attention would be an excuse if it did not predate adult swim by many many years
>>
File: 1501519221786.png (30KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
1501519221786.png
30KB, 214x200px
>>94502516
>Calista mentally regresses when she's birthed by Lucy
>>
I thought they were bringing it back.
What's happening with that?
>>
>>94502673
The revival got scrapped.
>>
>>94502497

It didn't last because nobody cared about it at that point. The show had run out of relevant well-known celebrities to mock, MTV as a network had stopped appealing to fans of the show's original run, and most people had probably become bored with the show's over-the-top violence. Take away the two things that make the show even remotely appealing and an audience willing to give it a chance, and what the fuck does it have left?
>>
>>94498371
Did NOT aged well.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.