[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /co/'s consensus on the Ultimate Marvel Universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 1

File: 4821436-8121030889-Ultim.jpg (159KB, 442x305px) Image search: [Google]
4821436-8121030889-Ultim.jpg
159KB, 442x305px
What's /co/'s consensus on the Ultimate Marvel Universe?
>>
>>94489807
Villain reeds is the best
>>
my great lord Jesus, what a wild ride!
>>
>>94489807
Spider-Man was the best thing bendis ever did
>>
>>94489807
Started very fun and different, ended awful.
>>
>>94489807
>>94490010
Started good with Bendis, Millar made it great, then Loeb and Bendis ruined it.
>>
>>94489807
Are they remaking a new ultimate universe? it could be great.
>>
Really, really good till Ultimatum. Then really, really bad.
>>
Ultimate spiderman and the evil reed storylines were my favorite parts....other than that...meh
>>
>>94489807
I dont like 616 at all. Ultimate Marvel is Marvel to me.
>>
>>94489988

Spider-Man is a book about Miles Morales
>>
>>94490087
No taste having faggot.
>>
>>94490085
oh and i also liked the Galactus story line
>>
I gave up not long after Ultimatum.
>>
I miss it

Look forward to the next stuff about the Ultimates
>>
I've only read Ultimates, Ultimate Spidermand and Ultimate X-Men.
Should I expand my collection or drop it before it's too late?
>>
>>94490517
guess you could try ultimate fantastic four, and (ultimate comics ultimate)
>>
>>94489807
not going to bother with it. not worth time or money. bendis still has a job at marvel so FUCK THEM
>>
>>94489807
It was good and they fucked it up. They should have kept all their retarded shit and legacy characters and killing off and replacing characters in the Ultimate uiverse
>>
Ultimate Comics X-Men was the biggest pile of shit that I've ever read.

I enjoyed Millar's X-Men, Ultimates 1-2 and USM until Ultimatum.

Evil Reed and Ultimate Jessica Drew were the best part of it
>>
>>94489807
Twincest.
>>
I loved it.
It was the only Marvel I read besides New X-Men.
Then Ultimatum happened and ruined the UU forever. Fucking bastards.
>>
>>94489807
It was cringe-worthily dated in dialogue, yet still had a style of its own. I'm torn between loving it and hating it. I really liked some of the ideas they had, but then they do weird shit with, like, Ultimate Hulk having a clone that becomes a vampire. I really just remember bits and pieces of the old Ultimate Spider-Man, and even then it feels a bit out of date now.

But boy, what a fucking ride it was. I'd love an Ultimate Universe 2.0 or something like that. Ultimates was like a Marvel if Marvel had been born years fucking later. It's originality really does show that.

Fuck Bendis.
>>
It's hands down the best alt-U there's been from either of the Big 2. Honestly, as much as people shit over the Ultimatum years, I don't think there was any era of the UU that didn't have at least a few good stories.

Yeah, it had plenty of problems, but it also had some really fucking great arcs. And it got to run long enough to not just be a gimmick. Earth One is DC's attempt but they shat all over the potential it had.

Unfortunately, Marvel decided they needed to shake it up rather than let it just be a small niche imprint.
>>
>>94491661
>It's hands down the best alt-U there's been from either of the Big 2.
What
>>
>>94491720
What alt-U that wasn't a one-off was better?

Maybe 2099 could compete, but I'd put UU above it.
>>
>>94489807
I love almost all of it.
A fair portion of it is complete garbage, but I just can't help myself.
I'll read through it all once a year, except when I get up to Ulti-Pete getting rezzed. What fucking hack shit, he had a beautiful death, why couldn't you just leave him to rest?
>>
>>94489807
It was a product of its time. It was disposable popcorn entertainment in the then-popular super compressed widescreen style used by Morrison's JLA and Ellis' Authority. It was meant to attract that sweet, sweet Casual dollar without the sliding timescale of 616 or its mythology. It's characters were mostly asshole black ops government shills because in the Bush era that was what was cool, guys that dressed like paramilitary and said one liners after kicking off the bad guy's head. Everyone was trying to be Midnighter basically.

Ultimately it succeeded in what it was designed to be: a 616 without its humanity or mythology, an easy to digest product you could give to your little brother "to get him into comics".

It was Image for the Bush years and people will eventually realize it.
>>
>>94491770
Can we count Wilstorm? Because Wildstorm had Planetary and Authority and that shits all over the Ultimate Marvel U.
>>
>people think post-Ultimatum is bad
>>
>>94491770
Earth X.
>>
>>94490067
This.
it's the greatest example of how a single event can ruin everything.
>>
I liked USM and most of X-Men but that's it. Ultimates was full of Millar's usual tryhard bullshit. I quit after reading the first issue of Loeb's Ultimates run.

It was a less creative, less imaginative version of 616. Every major storyline they adapted felt like the attempt was made to make it less interesting than the original.
>>
ultimate tony stark deserved to survive secret wars more than 616 tony
>>
>>94489807
It should have been devoured by Galactus.
>>
>>94491834
I mean, that was just it's own thing entirely. It wasn't like an alternate version of DC. But yeah, it was good.

>>94491883
>one series and then 2 sequels no one cares about
nah
>>
>>94492128
>Every major storyline they adapted felt like the attempt was made to make it less interesting than the original
As far as I know, the only arcs they adapted were...

>Galactus Trilogy
Ellis's version was fucking amazing

>Clone Wars
Way better than the 90s version

>Armor Wars
Honestly it wasn't even an adaptation, they just shared a name

Unless you count the origin stories, in which case F4's was better, USM was the same but modernized, and X-Men's was just completely different.
>>
>>94489807
wasted potential
>>
>>94489807
Planet Of Assholes. Except spidey. Spidey was cool until they killed him.
>>
>>94493134
>Ultimate characters are assholes
How is this meme still alive 15 years later?
>>
>>94493175
>In 616 Mr. Fantastic is the patriarch of an unbreakable molecule of love

>In Ultimates Sue cucks him and he goes full evil.

Gee I fucking wonder.
>>
>>94493204
>sue cucks him
yet another nice meme from someone who clearly hasn't read the series

Yes, Reed went full evil ... 6 years after his character was introduced.
>>
>>94493274
>Sue didn't cuck him with Ben

On what planet are you Anon?
>>
>>94493134
Was Tony an asshole? I remember him being nice, granted most of the time he was wasted
>>
>>94493513
Yeah, I'll give you that. Tony wasn't so bad.
>>
>>94493513
>>94493577
He was legitimately a good guy, at least in the early stuff. Was good friends with Thor and helped him with his hippie crap and even cured Banner. They did a lot of really good stuff with him. Until they made his tumor sentient. And also an Infinity stone.

But Armor Wars was amazing.
>>
>>94493857
There's actually a lot of nicer and technically better versions of characters in the Ultimate Universe, like Hawkeye (although he eventually became Bullseye), JJJ, Aunt May, most of the X-Men who actually didn't deserve any actual shit they went through since Ultimatum. It's just that those characters either die, suffered a lot worse, or are not at all their 616 counterparts.
>>
>>94489807
The worst case of squandered potential in Marvels history.
>>
>>94491661
>Earth One is DC's attempt but they shat all over the potential it had.
What's wrong with Earth One?
>>
>>94489807
What's the story with Ultimatum? Why didn't anyone at Marvel thing "Gee, maybe fucking everything over is a bad idea"?
>>
>>94493330
Do you know what cucking means? They broke up, she thought he was dead, and THEN she got with Ben.

So once again - you didn't read the book.
>>
>>94495727
Earth One is fine, I guess... but it's been 7 years and there have been a total of 10 arcs so far. Superman Earth One was HUGE when it launched, but they didn't leverage that at all.

The fact that we're pushing a decade and there still hasn't been a Justice League is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>94498207
Nevermind, I just looked a little closer and there have only been EIGHT arcs, and the next one doesn't come out until next March.
>>
>>94491834
No you can't count it.
>>
>>94489807
>Golden Age
>2001-2007
>Highlights:
Ultimate Spider-Man, Millar's The Ultimates 1-2, Millar, Bendis, and Vaughn's Ultimate X-Men, Millar/Bendis and Ellis' F4,
Ultimate Galactus Trilogy,

>The Dark Age (The Loeb Takeover)
>2008-2009
>Highlights:
Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Origins
>The worst of the worst:
Ultimatum, Loeb's Ultimates 3, Kirkman's Ultimate X-Men, and the final few arcs of F4.

>Silver Age (reboot, and slight bump in quality from the Loeb years)
>2009-2011
>Highlights:
Ultimate Spider-Man (including Death of Spider-Man), Millar's Ultimate Avengers 1, Ultimate Captain America, Ultimate Thor, Ultimate Fallout

>Bronze Age (a return to form)
>2011-2014
>Highlights:
Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Hickman's Ultimates, Wood's Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Hawkeye

>The "All-New" Era
>2014-2015
>Everything is garbage
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man is still readable
>>
>>94491661
>, I don't think there was any era of the UU that didn't have at least a few good stories.
Literally false
USM was never bad, but everything surrounding it was during Ultimatum, Cataclysm, and the All-New reboot.
>>
>>94489807
Why did Doom have goat legs again?
>>
>>94499120
>says something is false
>immediately contradicts it
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>94499008
Fialkov's Ultimates was great too - about as good of a recovery from Humphries as you could ask for. And UFF would've been awesome if they had given him a half decent artist to work with.
>>
>>94499282
Something-Something "people who are kin with the devil have Goat-Legs" Something-Something "Jean Claude Van Damme" Something-Something "Dracula's descendant".
>>
Ultimate Spider-Man is still one of the GOAT Spidey runs.

Ultimate Fantastic Four was hit and miss but we managed to get a really good villain out of it, The Maker.

Everything else started off good then turned to shit.
>>
Spidey was good, but the rest got too edgy.

>Everyone is either an asshole or a murderer
>>
>>94499856
>everyone is an asshole or a murderer
Cap, Pym, Xavier... those are the only ones I can think of that aren't an asshole in 616, and honestly Xavier kind of is in 616 too. Maybe Daredevil, because apparently some people think him putting Pete in his place is him being an asshole.
>>
>>94499623
He said "at least a few."

One solid comic is not the same as "a few good stories."
>>
>>94500016

Cap was racist.
>>
>>94500283
Aside from the fact that said comic had 2-3 arcs a year, you had:

Surrounding Ultimatum:
>Ultimate Origins
>Ultimate Armor Wars
>Ultimate Avengers
Also as garbage as Ultimatum was, the UXM tie-in was actually pretty solid considering what Coilete had to work with.

Surrounding Cataclysm:
>Wood's X-Men
>Fialkov's Ultimates

All-New Reboot:
>UFF
Granted, UFF is the weakest of all these, but the All-New era only lasted for about a year in total anyway.
>>
>>94500376
Cap was listed there.
>>
>>94489807
Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty great up until about the clone saga, I think. And even then it was better than the 616 version, even if it was terrible.

Ultimates was pretty bad, Ultimate FF was shit, and I didn't really pay any attention fo Ultimate X-Men.

But the sheer number of characters they ruined is kind of astounding.
>Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver
>Cap
>Reed
>Gwen Stacy
>Spider-Woman
>Deadpool
>>
>>94491883
Wasn't that supposed to be the canon future of the marvel universe until they realized that's a terrible idea?
>>
>>94489807
It was filter for all the bad ideas Marvel had.
>>
>>94500734
>Gwen
>Spider-woman
>reed
>Ruined
Wow, get a load of this hothead. Ultimate SW is leaps and bounds above her 616 version, and Gwen is just fine. Maker Reed is perfect, though it seems like you haven't done any reading if you think UFF was shit, considering Ellis's 12-issue run is one of the best F4 runs of the past 20 years.

Sure, Bendis ruined Deadpool in what was his absolute worst Peter arc, but who cares?

If the changes to SW/QS and Cap aren't your bag, then I guess I can understand that. Although most people who call out Cap's characterization are only thinking of the "A doesn't stand for France" line, without realizing that there's more context to it than that.
>>
>>94500810
Ultimate Deadpool was better in the Shattered Dimensions game, but I don't think that's canon.
>>
>>94500810
>Gwen being carnage
>Spider-Woman becoming related to Peter in any way
>Canon evil Reed
>not ruined

My problem with Ultimate Cap was that he was a new-52 superman-esque asshole. I'd more forgiving of it if it wasn't supposed to be a clearer version of 616. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were REALLY bad, though. I cannot fathom why they did that.
>>
>>94500907
>Spider-Woman becoming related to Peter in any way
What's worse is that this spread over to Earth 616. People have been treating Spider-Woman as a Spider-Man character for a while now.
>>
>>94500671
Ok fine! I tried a little too hard to make a point.

I would agree that Origins, Wood's X-Men, and Fialkov's Ultimates were all good. And although UFF is legit enjoyable, the art is truly some of the worst comic-book art I've ever seen.

I still maintain that all of the tie-ins to Ultimatum and Cataclysm, besides Spider-Man (and maybe Hunger), were pretty bad though.

Armor Wars is one of the few Ultimate books I haven't read. How was it?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.