[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Marvel and/or DC will ever break away from cape comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (8KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 310x163px
Do you think Marvel and/or DC will ever break away from cape comics?
>>
>>94448545
Marvel obviously is just going to be a movie studio in a decade or so
DC might brand into other things, but cape stories will always be king
>>
>>94448545
DC keeps most of Vertigo's stuff capeshit-free except when it's a direct crossover. So you can make the case that DC already publishes non-capeshit stories.

But I agree with >>94448594 in that Marvel will eventually stop making comics and dedicate itself to movies. Probably for the best given how bad their comics have become in merely two years.
>>
>>94448545
Considering Marvel has 3 separate books right now that are half cape/half college slice of life, there's a possibility.
>>
>>94448545
>Will companies stop doing thing that makes money

No, as long as they're profitable.
>>
>>94451883
>Comics
>Profitable
It's not the 40's.
>>
>>94451905
>he says as Rebirth sells out
>>
>>94448545
Yeah they have imprints. Well, DC has imprints.
>>
Not a chance in hell. Comics will never have the popularity or diversity of manga.
>>
>>94448545
They already have, from DC since the New 52 we've got Demon Knights, All Star Western, Gotham Academy, Prez, etc. But Capes are far safer sellers than more genre diverse books, so will always make up the majority of their products.
>>
>>94448545
I would say both

Marvel probably since they're going to move to just about everything but comics

And DC is dead in a couple months so they won't be making cape comics either
>>
No, I don't think so but I do think capes will become a smaller % of the industry if the growth of comics continues, so you might see DC and Marvel trying to branch out for that. The problem is whereas before cape dominance they actually could have done that, so many of their writers are hardcore cape fanboys now ("inmates running the asylum" type thing) that I don't think it'd work too well. I mean I vaguely remember the Marvel Minx line actually being pretty good but nobody fucking bought it.

I can see Disney outright stepping into Marvel at some point in the near future, if the numbers get bad enough or Ike goes, and the whole line changing up int he aftermath of that (for instance, MCU becoming canon, age range being aimed at dropping way down).
>>
Isn't this the whole thing with Image? That they'll publish anything as long as it's not a straight-up superhero thing?
>>
Probably yes. People will get tired of cape movies and they'll disappear, except for a rare movie that has as much in common with comics as Blade, or Dark Man, or Dark Knight.

And people can get tired of cape comics too, given the latter 'successes'
>>
File: blaqualad.jpg (37KB, 424x683px) Image search: [Google]
blaqualad.jpg
37KB, 424x683px
>>94448545

The only way they can survive is embracing digital and cutting costs that way. From there they can be more adventurous.

Unfortunately Marvel is set as a publisher for superheroes and Disney stuff. DC has more flexibility and already has an expansive set of imprints and genres they dabble in.

I wonder if DC will have a creator owned imprint to woo back top tier writers and artists. It'd be weird but publishing stuff and letting the creators keep the rights would be a good incentive while still having the brand behind them to help promote the comic.
>>
>>94453812
They'll publish anything that Eric or their lead team wants to publish.
>>
>>94453858
Digital sales have actually been regressing since 2014-15. It can still save certain books, but it isnt a reliable fall back for the medium. I think the issue is that most readers, when given the choice between physical and digital for the same price, will choose physical as a 3d object has more value attributed to it by the buyer than digital images. And companies wont drop digital prices as that would be undercutting their physical products.
>>
File: icv2-comichron-2016.jpg (226KB, 600x1915px) Image search: [Google]
icv2-comichron-2016.jpg
226KB, 600x1915px
>>94453929
On the flipside, sales of GN format books, and sales from bookstores, are increasing steadily. We can already see publishers aiming for this market, such as Rebirth's double shipping allowing for trades to come out quicker and DC announcing more Prestige format titles.
>>
>>94453929

That's because digital is the same price as physical. But Injustice keeps topping digital sales because it's 99 cents weekly. Put out comics and charge half the price digitally and those sales would rise. Create more digital only comics and cut the cost down entirely.

I would like to know how DC's digital only titles have done since they ran a bunch for a while. I'm going to guess not too well since some of them are discontinued.

I still think digital is the future or at least one viable way to keep some comics going.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.