[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hellboy/Mignolaverse Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 18

File: Aang un Rama.jpg (362KB, 734x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Aang un Rama.jpg
362KB, 734x1002px
What's your favourite Hellboy story/arc?

What series of the larger universe is your favourite? (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.)

Favourite BPRD member?

Lizz or Kate kinda guy?

Favourite villain?

Favourite mythologies/folklore that Mignola uses? (Russian, Norse, etc.)

Feel free to post favourite panels or just chat about Mignola's work.
>>
File: Timthumb.jpg (98KB, 588x406px) Image search: [Google]
Timthumb.jpg
98KB, 588x406px
First for best character.
>>
>>94437175
I was interested in buying the library editions myself. Was hoping to get it signed too considering Mignola is going to a con near me soon
>>
>>94437175
>What's your favourite Hellboy story/arc?
All these years later and the Wolves of Saint August still remains one of my favs
>What series of the larger universe is your favourite? (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.)
BPRD was just as good as Hellboy for a long while before trailing off with Hell on Earth.
>Favourite BPRD member?
If I can't pick Hellboy I'd pick Abe.
>Lizz or Kate kinda guy?
Kate
>Favourite villain?
The dude who had his soul put in an egg in a goat somewhere. The Black Flame had one of the best designs and setups. And I still love the mini-comic where Anubis shows up as a giant Mastiff.
>Favourite mythologies/folklore that Mignola uses? (Russian, Norse, etc.)
The fairy folk stuff from Ireland.
>>
>>94437267
That will definitely be worth it. I feel like Mignola will one day truly get the acclaim he deserves. That's not to say he hasn't got loads already, but I still feel that there's still a level of praise he is yet to receive. Regardless, I have a signed panel from Mignola and Gianni with Into The Silent Sea and its pretty cool.
>>
To be honest maybe I'm a total pleb but ever since The Storm and The Fury I've been less and less into Hellboy. It kinda feels like it was building, before that, to connections that never actually happened.

Now shit is fucked and we were waiting for that all along but it doesn't really feel... satisfying? It's broken down. It's kinda like Mignola realised half way through that he just wanted to try different stuff so Hellboy as a franchise became separated into like fairytale and pulp and post-apoc whereas before - at least for a while - all that hung cohesively together.

The art remains gorgeous and genuinely I cannot think of a Hellboy comic I don't enjoy but I guess I was waiting so long for the finale and got so hyped that what's actually happening doesn't live up to it. Like I wanted the final act of Don Giovanni and I got the final act of Figaro.

The Lord Baltimore stuff too - I like it, but it sorta feels like Mignola reloaded and took a shot at what he would maybe rather Hellboy had been as a consistent whole but which he can't go back to. And the characters there are a little weak, whereas the characters in Hellboy are A++.
>>
File: Wolves of saint august.png (394KB, 901x502px) Image search: [Google]
Wolves of saint august.png
394KB, 901x502px
>>94437305
Wolves of Saint August is certainly under-appreciated. I remember reading in the Library edition Mignola didnt like it but this panel is so simple yet so effective. The horror in Hellboy is sometimes pushed to the wayside in most issues but god damn he can write a spooky if he wants to.
>>
>>94437323

Yeah by the end the tightness of what made Hellboy and BPRD so great ended up getting lost a little bit.
Hell on Earth's multiple story arcs where the same thing happened over and over was really off-putting.

And I don't really like Witchfinder. It feels like a Hellboy story without Hellboy.
>>
File: Hellboy punches Rasputin.jpg (49KB, 725x280px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy punches Rasputin.jpg
49KB, 725x280px
>>94437445
desu i have that problem with most bprd stories. I suppose thats the point as hellboy's absence is what starts off the comics but it feels a little empty without him. Abe sort of ends up taking the mantle of Hellboy until his own departure.
>>
>>94437395

Wolves of Saint August to me is one of the most Hellboy-ish Hellboy comics, that the villain massacres an entire town by getting the ghosts of his lycanthropy cursed relatives to do it, while they're also rather tragic for being unfairly cursed in the first place just makes everything feel bittersweet.

Even the bit with the crucifix might seem like a deus ex machina, but there's no one really left to save except the dead. And yet it still feels like Hellboy does the right thing and is fighting the good fight.

By comparison arcs like conqueror worm or whatever hinge on a lot of bigger mythological stuff, which makes it more personal for Hellboy, which ends up being melodramatic given how many times demons and witches keep trying to tempt him about the inevitability of his destiny and the end of the world blah blah blah.
>>
>>94437532
>until his own departure.

The were-leopard guy was pretty cool , but once he was gone the zombie guy they put in his place really seemed like a cousin oliver type, brought in way too late to have any emotional stakes.
I liked the Mummy lady too, but her turnheel was predictable.

Once Abe, Roger, and Klaus were gone the comic was pretty empty.
>>
Favorite story Wolves of Saint August or pancakes

Character lobster johnson

Bprd member howards/gal

Villain Black Flame because of his Shit talking

Favorite mythologies is the Mexican stuff. Not just the mythology but the culture. Like the luchador, or when Abe was hanging out in Arizona and hung out with Mexicans and had a good time drinking beers and grilling. Also the Aztec stuff with the vampires and when Frankenstein met that ladie that healed him and the whole story about the gold tablets that contained the history of the world. I love that stuff
>>
Also where do I buy mignolaverse shirts? His site never works
>>
>>94437175
1. Oh god why you gotta make me decide.
2. Johann
3. Kinda eh on both
4. Bromhead. Love a guy who's actually capable, plus he has a very distinctive design.
5. Again, impossible to decide. I really like his inclusion/use of Shakespeare, Poe and other poems/poets though.
>>
Anyone have the link to the chronological mega?
>>
I've always had a soft spot for Baby Hellboy stories so I'm gonna go with Midnight Circus of 1948 when he cuts of his horns
BPRD was the best non Hellboy title back when it was Harren and Arcudi
Enos or my boy Howards.
Nimue
My favorite are the folktale ones, the Troll Witch that is based on Tatterhood is my favorite.
>>94437939
Here you go
https://mega.nz/#F!fNZmmC4D!HyV78B7Y0MV-jz2xbFaNfA
I can't wait till it's time to do it all over again.
>>
>>94437980
Thanks and great taste anon!
Do you happen to be the chronological anon?
>>
>>94438024
Yeah, it's me.
>>
>>94438087
woah
>>
>>94438087
Your the best thing to happen to /co/ thanks a lot anon always enjoy the threads
>>
>>94438131
I post in like every Mignolaverse thread.
>>94438192
I'm just doing my part spreading that Mignola love
>>
>>94437980
>>94438024
>>94438087
>>94438131

Y'know, the Hellboy movie is what got me into Hellboy comics.
I still remember peeling off the "The Inspiration for the Upcoming Movie" sticker off my Seed of Destruction TPB.
But I also kept buying and reading them all for another decade.

I hope the new movie reboot brings in even more fans.
>>
>>94437980
Does this contain the complete Hell on Earth?
>>
>>94438424
Yes, that iteration ends with the final issue of Hell on Earth. It doesn't have any of the Lobster Johnson stuff released since then or The Visitor, which was a bitch to place.
>>
File: hb.jpg (23KB, 287x418px) Image search: [Google]
hb.jpg
23KB, 287x418px
>>94437175
I want to get a Hellboy tattoo but more realistic looking than Mignola's style. I've read 95% of all Hellboy related comics thanks to Chronological Order Anon's yearly threads. So I've seen just about all the official comic art available minus cover art.

I really like OP's pic. I was thinking more realistic style like pic related.
>>
>>94438511
I was wondering how you were going to fit the visitor specially all the parts that the same event takes place in Hellboy like the conquer worm stuff and nature of the beast stuff
>>
>>94438511
>The Visitor
What's that?
I'm pretty out of the loop since I've only got physical copies of the main Hellboy library editions.
>>
>>94438556
It explains the alien that appears in conqueror worm
>>
>>94438546
In all honesty I decided the best way to handle it was to leave some parts out. So for The Visitor issue that takes place during Conquer Worm I do everything up until he is shot and then jump into the start of Conquer Worm and leave off the rest.
>>
>>94438533
Chrono anon here I'm thinking of either getting the Abe cult symbol or the Magician and the Snake.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170723-005840.jpg (184KB, 586x362px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170723-005840.jpg
184KB, 586x362px
have you thanked johann yet today anon?
>>
>>94438669
Why not
>>
>>94438579
Ah.
>>
>>94437175
>favorite story
Favorite story/arc is Darkness Calls. Living in a culture similar to that of Russia, it really pulled some strings for me.
>favorite series
My favorite series is probably either Hellboy in Hell or Witchfinder.
>favorite bprd member
Enos. Dude's the most humane and living feeling of the 'normies'.
>liz or kate
Definitely Kate for me, although I think Liz, at least before Hell on Earth, was one of the best characters.
>favorite villain
Koschei the Deathless. hype for 2018
>favorite mythologies/folklore
Probably Russian, although I'm surprised with how twisted Mignola's vision of English folklore is.

Also, Mignola interview everyone! It lasts like one hour, so far it's been a blast.

https://vimeo.com/227556762
>>
>>94438669
Awesome. The cult symbol is a great idea for a tat. Simple and concise. Any tattoo artist can make that look good.
>>
>>94438792
I've never seen what mignola looks like
>>
>>94439013
He's a genius, but you wouldn't know it from his appearance.
>>
>>94439013
>>94439031

He used to be bald and clean shaven. He used to look oddly young. Now he looks comfortably old.
>>
File: Hellboipussy.png (31KB, 289x93px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboipussy.png
31KB, 289x93px
>>94438730
I don't know, I've always liked the Abe Cult symbol and the Magician and the Snake is one of the best short stories in all of comics
>>94438820
If I really wanted to go crazy I'd get the summoning circle for Gamori done.
>>
>>94439092
>having a summoning circle for a demon on yourself

That's kinda asking for trouble, isn't it?

As for a tattoo a Mignola crown or skull could be nice, or the Bog Roosh's nail, or the BPRD symbol. Or hell, the broken Hyperborean sword.

Mignola really has a penchant for crowns and skulls. Probably why he often draws them together.
>>
>>94439092
I would not mess with those symbols anon from what I've heard the artist use the real names of demons and their actual symbols. Not going to lie I mispronounce the names in the books on purpose in fear of a demon hearing it and fucking Shit up around me
>>
>>94439174
Nimues crown is best crown
>>
>>94439197
Funny you mention it, there's a reason for it transforming into actual ravens and flying away - both Mignola and Fegredo hated it because it was such a hassle to draw and get correctly.
>>
File: 555-come-on-now.jpg (51KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
555-come-on-now.jpg
51KB, 600x337px
>>94439175
>I would not mess with those symbols anon from what I've heard the artist use the real names of demons and their actual symbols. Not going to lie I mispronounce the names in the books on purpose in fear of a demon hearing it and fucking Shit up around me

Magic isn't real.
>>
>>94439276
Only if you don't believe in it.
>>
>>94438792
thanks for the interview anon. Love hearing stuff like this.
>>
File: badbmacha.jpg (204KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
badbmacha.jpg
204KB, 1041x1600px
>>94439197
>>94439262
>>
File: 15019810223001442511163.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
15019810223001442511163.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>94439276
I take no chances anon

Pic related, I don't leave the house without it
>>
>>94438792

The guy interviewing him doesn't seem to actually be that familiar with Hellboy comics. It's a little disappointing.
>>
>>94439464
He's literally made BPRD comics?
>>
>>94439464
He actually wrote a BPRD story or two.
>>
>>94439174
>>94439175
But Gamori is best girl and she would be bound to teach me the secrets of love and show me where treasure is hidden.
Also Nimue's crown would be awesome or maybe Hecate's symbol?
>>
>>94439581
>Gamori
>she
Pick one anon
>>
>>94439531
>>94439546

I don't know, he seems to make some odd comments that suggest a lack of familiarity.
>>
>>94439624
She has a cute feminie demon penis anon.
>>
>>94439661
I actually appreciate the way he's interviewing - he's not saying like 'so yeah what about Roger', or asking constantly about details, he's actually interviewing the guy and helping us get a clearer of how inside Mignola's head works. We get to know the author, and I think that's what's important in an interview. Not 'so what's next on BPRD'.
>>
>>94437175
The Corpse. It's when the series really clicked for me and still stands as some of the best craftsmanship in the franchise. Watching it becomre more important to the overall story as Mignola grew the world was really special.
>What series of the larger universe is your favourite? (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.)
B.P.R.D. Specifically The Warning. Best 4 issues in the franchise imo. THe opening that pays homage to Caspar David Fredrich and Johan's end to the story is fucking phenomenally well done.
>Favourite BPRD member?
Howards is GOAT
>Lizz or Kate kinda guy?
Tough question. Probably Liz.
>Favourite villain?
Herman Von Klempt.
The Celtic/British stuff. The Giant's speech to Gruagach at the end of Darkness Calls never fails to give me chills.
>>
>>94439661
I think those are more simplistic interviewer-type questions that can easily create a large amount of discussion. Though I do see your point.
>>
>>94437980
Do you perchance have an upload of the unedited issues as well?
>>
>>94440399
No, sorry.
>>
>>94437175
>What'syour favourite Hellboy story/arc?
Probably either seed of destruction or The storm and the fury. Hellboy in Mexico is also good.
What series of the larger universe is your favourite? (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.)
Really anything both written and drawn by Mignola is good. B.P.R.D. has some good stories, especially the early stuff.
Favourite BPRD member?
Roger is pretty great.
Lizz or Kate kinda guy?
Kate. Liz always gave me a hot topic vibe and is always having personal issues, while Kate has her shit together.
Favourite villain?
Rasputin or Nimue
Irish, but he uses Russian mythology in an interesting way and I liked the Xibalba story.
>>
>tfw no story set during the fall of hyperborea
>tfw we'll never get the prequel to the abyss of time about that fallen hyperborean warrior's story and death
>tfw we'll never see that sword in its full potential
>>
>>94440601
Never say never. Mignola is taking a break, but it seems temporary. If the new movie does well, we could be seeing a lot more comics in the future.
>>
>>94437395
Read this story a while ago, quite a good read.

One thing that confuses me: was the monk who cursed the pagan family into werewolves able to do so through the Judeo-Christian god or was it some other kind of power?
>>
>>94440938

If I recall correctly they reference another biblical story where that something similar happens. Not sure if it was apocryphal or just made up. It's hard to tell with Mignola.

But that the crucifix with Jesus smites down the werewolf suggests it was the kinder, gentler Jesus forgiving the ghosts rather than old testament God. It feels like Jesus making amends.
>>
I really liked the movies when I was younger, how do the two films stand up to the comics?
I've just recently started picking up the comics and they've been pretty stellar so far. Does the series stay this good?
What kind of ride am I in for?
>>
>>94437267
Get the library editions. it looks amazing at that size.
>>
>>94442072
The comics are consistently fantastic to okay at their worst. I have never read a Mignolaverse story that I didn't like.
>>
Would you guys a Varvara?
>>
>>94437267
What convention? I'd love to get my Libraries signed as well.
>>
>>94437175
Its hard to pick, since Mignola create something unique with the HB world.

>What's your favorite Hellboy story/arc?
Makoma, followed by The Storm and Hellboy in Mexico in third place.
>What series of the larger universe is your favorite? (BPRD, Lobster Johnson, etc.)
The adventures of Abe
>Favorite BPRD member?
If you cant count HB, then Abe.
>Lizz or Kate kinda guy?
Lizz
>Favorite villain?
Nimue/Koshchei the Deathless
>Favorite mythologies/folklore that Mignola uses? (Russian, Norse, etc.)
Celtic/Russian
>>
How's the apocalypse doing? Last thing I saw was that demon prince in the body of a girl unleashing giants on ogdru spawn.
>>
>>94437175
>Hellboy/Mignolaverse Thread

YES, PERFECT, THANK YOU.

Does anyone know which issue or comic of Hellboy has Hellboy fight that OLD, but 'goodish' Demon?
The Demon was a manticore or chimera-like man: red fur, lion head, perhaps a scorpion tail and I think he had wings?
He was a Demon that was originally summoned to help build some jewish temple, but the seal on him was broken and he killed the king and proceeded to rule in his place.

Hellboy fights him in some fucking woods or something- He's living in the woods, having cultists sacrifice women to him to eat.
Please, does anybody know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>94440750
I totally forgot there was a new movie in the works, shit.
>>
File: 1468650929594.jpg (43KB, 391x353px) Image search: [Google]
1468650929594.jpg
43KB, 391x353px
>>
>>94451743
That would be Hellboy: The Bride of Hell. Mignola/Corben, the demon you're thinking of is Asmodeus.
>>
File: new.png (1MB, 1332x2048px) Image search: [Google]
new.png
1MB, 1332x2048px
Having a reread of the series atm while showing random cool panels to a girl I know to get her to read it all. Why do girls love Hellboy so much? She almost creamed herself over my HB Library Editions. I cna't blame her though.

I've just read Wake the Devil, so in my mind that's what I like the most. It just feels so fresh and perfect. I think it encapsulates a lot of what makes Hellboy great. Also the jetpack exploding and then the gun exploding later is just too good. "That's it! No more guns! No more DAMN MACHINES! Show time." Followed directly after by, "Big talk for a guy with no pants."
Probably the pleb opinion, but the Long Death is so fucking good. I also really liked Vampires.
>Favourite BPRD member?
I dig Roger. Also Howards.
>Lizz or Kate kinda guy?
Lizz.
>Favourite villain?
Black Flame.
Anything Celtic gets me hard. Probably because I'm from those parts tho.
>>
>>94452371
I for one am glad Del Toro isn't making it.
>>
>>94452653
>Why do girls love Hellboy so much?

Same reason we all do anon, because it's fucking good. Hard to not like a quality product.

I'm sure someone could make the argument that it has to do with a wealth of well written female characters that exist beyond fap-bait, but that just opens up a conversational can of worms I don't care to address.
>>
What's your favourite Hellboy story/arc?

Conqueror Worm.

BPRD

Favourite BPRD member?

Johann.

Lizz or Kate kinda guy?

Both good.

Favourite villain?

Varvara, without a doubt. Black Flame as second.

Celtic, Christian or Lovercraftian.
>>
>>94451743
He didn't even eat them iirc, they just became his wives. The whole thing was strictly consensual, I felt pretty bad for Asmodeus in that story.
>>
File: fish.jpg (288KB, 1040x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
288KB, 1040x1600px
post favorite pages
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.