[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon has the Providence hardcovers on sale so I'm thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1478233239640.jpg (33KB, 227x750px) Image search: [Google]
1478233239640.jpg
33KB, 227x750px
Amazon has the Providence hardcovers on sale so I'm thinking of getting them before they're gone. I just wanted to make sure they're worth it before I pull the trigger. I'm already pretty much sold because I'm a huge fag for Moore and Lovecraft, but I'm wondering if it's as good as everyone says it is. How deep into mythos territory does it get? I've heard it's connected to Neonomicon but I've never read it. So, Providence thread I guess?
>>
You should definitely read Neonomicon and The Courtyard first. I thought they were just thematically related but it becomes clear it's a prequel/kinda sequel to it in the end.

It's not my favourite Moore, but it's worth reading esp if you're a Lovecraft fan. Incidentally, I picked Crossed +100 recently and loved it.
>>
It's an extremely deep dig into Lovecraft. This blog keeps track of the references, as an example:

https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com/
>>
>>94425791
Neonomicon is terrible, but Providence is so good that it lifts it up a bit.

Providence is pretty much one of thew things that gets both the tone, atmosphere, and conceits of Lovecraft impeccably right.
>>
>>94425791

*cyclopean* monoliths

can we agree that *almost* all of lovecraft's work is shit? very little of it's excellent
>>
>>94426162
>wrote 65 or so short stories

No I'd wager half or so are good.
>>
>>94426180

you are beneath me, anon, not even in dreamworld

(spits)
>>
>>94426162

I'm curious, anon. Which of his stories are shit, and which ones are good, in your opinion?
>>
>>94426267

the ones with interminable repetition are bad, practically everything with the word "cyclopean" in it (yes, tiki tiki tiki, that one, too)

the dreamworld one is unusual. i forget the rest, but there are some jewels in there
>>
Inb4 HOOORD HOOORD HOOORD
>>
I just read Chapter 7 of Providence and I have to say, Black is the most retarded protagonist I've ever fucking had the pleasure of following around.

He isn't just dumb, he lives in his own fantasy world trying to escape whatever is happening to him. I kinda get that this is part of the whole story but it is infuriating as the reader.

But OP, I highly recommend it. It isn't my favorite Moore by miles, but it is definitely worth the read.

Fuck the Neonomicon haters though, it's shlock but it's decent and fun.
>>
>>94426862
>it's bad but it's fun
Real high bar there anon.
>>
>>94426862
>it's shlock but decent
Only one of those can be true. Can't really argue you for whether or not you found it fun, that's your own business.

But it's nowhere near decent. It's a poorly written, flat, and self-aggrandizing referencing piece of shit.
>>
>>94426162
>very little of it's excellent
>>
File: image.jpg (6KB, 200x264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6KB, 200x264px
>>
File: image.jpg (11KB, 151x162px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 151x162px
>>
File: IMG_3019.jpg (32KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3019.jpg
32KB, 285x352px
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.