[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Johns a good writer? So much of his writing is so schlocky,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: geoff-johns-rings.jpg (89KB, 300x325px) Image search: [Google]
geoff-johns-rings.jpg
89KB, 300x325px
Is Johns a good writer? So much of his writing is so schlocky, but I feel like he's so good at character moments and interpersonal drama that he gets a pass. I'm just not sure. I just read Darkseid war, and it left...some sort of taste in my mouth.
>>
>>94425131
He's good at things you and him are familiar with. The groundwork for all the character moments and interpersonal drama has been established by other writers. Take that away and the guy won't be able to get past the establishing scene
>>
>>94425131
>Flash
>GL
>JSA
>Aquaman

Has he lost that golden touch? Yes. Is he still better than most writers in cape comics? Yes. He's doing better work as an editor and architect.
>>
He only writes good stories if you think the character doesn't have any previous good stories. Basically, he writes for casuals.
>>
>>94425213
>writes for casuals
I thought that was Bendis.
>>
>>94425224
they're the same person
>>
>>94425246
No, Johns dialogue is usually bland and unremarkable, not excruciating to read like Bendis speak.
>>
>>94425246
No, Bendis has Awards, critical recognition and live action adaptations of his work
>>
>>94425251
>Johns dialogue

*John's dialogue
>>
>>94425131
Yes.
>>
>>94425268
Henderson has awards.

They're basically worthless.
>>
>>94425307
No, that just means Johns is worse than Henderson.
>>
>>94425271
You're doing God's work, anon.
>>
>>94425271
>Johns' dialogue
ya fookin' retarded cuntbot
>>
Johns is the definition of a hack.

I will never forgive him for blackest night
>>
>>94425131
All of his protagonists are basically the same. They got nothing going for them except being a straight faced hero and parent issues. He did it with Hal, Barry, Superman and Booster. He turned Booster from an interesting and flawed character into a standard Johns hero and even somehow managed to add parental issues into it. Then the classic Johns trope of turning a villain into a misunderstood anti villain, like Cold, Zod, Sinestro. All of his stories end with a big DBZ tier fight.
Johnsfags are usually stupid enough to blame a fictional character for Johns' shortcomings. "Barry, Hal and Cyborg have always been boring characters. It's not johns' fault or responsibility". (Reminder than Hal was an interesting character as Spectre, under Dematteis pen)
>>
>>94425131
He is killing DC.
>>
his fans are generally retarded, like who the fuck actually cried reading Rebirth? Manchildren
>>
>>94425528
>Reminder than Hal was an interesting character as Spectre, under Dematteis pen
Well, DeMatteis is a much better writer, comparing them is just silly. Reminder that that run is not very popular and the decision to make Half Spectre is not something most comic book readers look at fondly. Same shit with his Phantom Stranger, great runs shat on by casuals because
>muhh status quo
>muhh """ important""" event stories
>muhh lack of creativity punchy punchy pls
>>
>>94425271
>>Johns' dialogue
>>ffs
>>not that hard
>>
>>94425528
Hitch writes a better Cyborg (and Justice League) than Johns
>>
>>94425131
I liked his Booster Gold and Action Comics run but everything else he's written is hacky as hell. What are his actual contributions? Besides trying to make every character Batman (who he hates) and a bunch of terrible events? Stargirl and watering down the concept of the GLC. BRA-VO
>>
He has a hard on for doing some terrible retcons for no fucking reason, like Barry produces the speed force, Booster Gold didn't throw away the games for money, three Jokers and Diana's brother.
>>
>>94425131
>52
>Infinite Crisis
>Blackest Night
>New 52 Green Lantern
>New 52 Justice League
>>Specifically Darkseid War
>Superman with Romita Jr.
>DCU Rebirth

I haven't read much by him, but what I have read has ranged from pretty good to great. I think he's been doing a really good job as a CCO and architect of Rebirth, his involvement in the DCEU is promising, and I can't wait for Doomsday Clock.
>>
>>94425680
Don't forget Superboy being Lex and Kals clone.
>>
>>94425707
none of those are good though
>>
>>94425564
John's is a manchild writing for pathetic manchildren.
>>
File: this guy.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>butthurt samefag spamming the thread

The replies increase but not the number of posters.
>>
File: bitch.gif (483KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
bitch.gif
483KB, 500x300px
>>94425739
>shit taste
>>
File: joker2.gif (19KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
joker2.gif
19KB, 125x125px
>>94425739
>>
>>94425615
>Booster Gold run
Isn't that just two arcs? He had some good moments but he beats you over the head with the same shit over and over again. I'm sure he wouldn't have the balls to do that last arc in 2017
>>
>>94425732
Oh yeah thanks anon. He sure did take one of the best things about 90s DC and take a dump in its very DNA and kill it.
>>
>>94425739
New52 GL is good. Darkseid War is pure unfiltered garbage.
>>
>>94425810
It was a good sequel to the Booster stuff in 52 and dropped Booster into some interesting time/places in the DCU. Not sure what you mean about the last arc -- I mean, having the JLI fight OMACs might not have been the freshest idea (again, Johns) but I never mind seeing those characters.
>>
>>94425846
I mean teasing Ted's return and ending it with "sorry readers, Ted's dead". From everything he's been saying lately he'd probably think that would be " disrespectful to the fans" or some bullshit. I like that "remember my smile" page, A LOT but the actual arc drags on for far too long. I also hate this shit of Booster always having the purest heart and how he's so righteous and how Ted was the bestest smartest. Give me a fucking break, I read JLI so don't you dare fucking lie to my face like that. We read that series and we loved these two knuckleheads because they were silly not because secretly they had the highest power level.
>>
>>94425271
>*John's dialogue
his name is "Johns," idiot

>>94425508
>Johns' dialogue
correct, however...

also consider that he said:
>>94425251
>Johns dialogue
>Bendis speak

His lack of apostrophe was fine here. He's using each name as a noun modifier.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/adjectives/noun-modifiers

Good examples of this from https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/39816/can-a-name-be-used-as-an-adjective-as-in-this-smithers-issue include:
>What do we do about this Smithers issue?
>Our building has a rat problem.
>The police are still trying to solve the Smith murder.
>>
>>94425268
Bendis has 5 Eisners and Johns has 1 Spike TV Award
>>
>>94425936
>Bendis has more Eisners than Milligan, Carey, Ennies, Ellies, DeMatteis, Ostrander and Priest combined.
>>
File: MRXaPiw[1].png (655KB, 723x737px) Image search: [Google]
MRXaPiw[1].png
655KB, 723x737px
>>94425936
>tfw spike tv award has more credibility than eisners

What is this world coming to?
>>
>>94425990
>Ostrander has never received a single Eisner
That's a travesty and should show how utterly meaningless they are.
>>
>>94425990
less than Moore and Ware though
>>
>>94426032
this
>>
>>94425528
where's the parent issues in Hawkman, Aquaman, Wally Flash, Stargirl, and JSA?
>Cold, Zod, Sinestro
>Anti Villain
wut? I guess Sinestro yeah he did become a GL again. Though Cold? I mean the most Anti-Villain thing he did was hunt Bart's killer because they wanted to make it clear to Flash they had nothing to do with it and to make them "even". IDK about Zod.
>>
>>94426032
Ostrander used to write in the 80s and 90s, when the competition was a lot higher. Just look at the nominations of that time. Dark Horse, DC and Kitchen sink were putting out some hit shit.
>>
>>94426157
I'm not arguing that anon. There was a shit ton of good stuff. But even then Sucide Squad and Spectre were exceptional.
>>
>>94425767
thank you for explaining how samefagging works
>>
He's worse as an editor. Now he can do whatever retarded things he wants, without any restraint. His first work as a showrunner was giving writing gigs to his friends. He brought back all the past mediocre talent.
>>
>>94426176
He had no chance against stuff like Sandman, Concrete, Nexus, from hell, Sin City etc.
>>
>>94425131
I think he has amazing dialogue, but overall his plots are fairly simple.

He's like bizzaro Morrison, I feel like Morrison isn't very good at giving characters voices.
>>
File: 1457020381542.jpg (59KB, 612x459px) Image search: [Google]
1457020381542.jpg
59KB, 612x459px
>>94426466

Which is why they're the Batman and Superman DC.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.