[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help for Building a Comic Collection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 81FYXwX1dEL.jpg (349KB, 998x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81FYXwX1dEL.jpg
349KB, 998x1500px
So after so many years, I finally decided to actually afford a small comicbook collection (usually read E-Comics but only ongoings). Thing is, I want collections but really don't know where to start and what to actually get.

I know it may sound pathetic to most of you but this is what I have planned to get so far

>Superman: All-Star Superman, Last Son of Krypton, Red Son
>Batman: Hush, The Dark Knight Strikes Back, The Long Halloween
>JLA: Justice (Alex Ross), Kingdom Come, The New Frontier
>Marvel: 1602, Spider-Man Blue, Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

Haven't read most of these before so I really don't know what to expect and whether all of these are worth buying. Also, is the regular Kingdom Come book (232 pages) a whole story or do I have to read anything else?
>>
The /shelf/ thread might be most helpful here if you want to know stuff like whether a particular book is bound well or if there's any other issues that bug people.

Very generally though I would recommend checking your public library to see what they have and also downloading some things to see what you like. Marvel Unlimited might help too just to go through shit? Only then after you get a feel for your taste can you decide what you actually want to own.

Up, Up, and Away is probably my favorite Superman arc. All-Star I find reads better once you have more context, but you'll probably still enjoy it on its own.

>Also, is the regular Kingdom Come book (232 pages) a whole story or do I have to read anything else?

That's all you need.
>>
you've made the rookie mistake of buying loeb books
>>
>>94389255

thank you for all the tips

>public library

I'm actually a Eurofag so libraries here probably have zero comicbooks whatsoever. I have to buy all that stuff from Amazon

I already downloaded some of the stuff because I always hear that these are pretty much the most famous books out there. Thing is, I'd like to get some input regarding books that suck and books that pretty much everyone likes. I would really go with the mainstream opinions on this one

>All-Star I find reads better once you have more context, but you'll probably still enjoy it on its own

What context? All-Star is one of the books I have read before and I never had the feeling that it had some prior plot to it
>>
>>94389383

Haven't bought them yet. This is basically my list of things to get over time (might just tell people to get it for my birthday since I never really "need" something once the occasion arises)

What's wrong with Loeb and which books would you take off the list? I must add that I only want stories that are complete (I'd love to read a good old Batman story in which he does detective work)
>>
>>94389456
If your library doesn't have capeshit then euroshit is probably good too, but I imagine they might have at least Watchmen. Never hurts to check.

>What context? All-Star is one of the books I have read before and I never had the feeling that it had some prior plot to it

Not specific plots but just general references and call-backs. I felt like I got more of it when I read it again later at least.
>>
>>94389570

I can buy the books I listed over Amazon easily and check them out before online. Libraries really aren't necessary in my eyes. Thanks for mentioning Watchmen though, that one is actually also on my list

What about Sandman by Gaiman? Heard that's a good book too. Also, are there any solid comics about superheroes with a greek mythology theme?
>>
>>94389716
I haven't read much Sandman outside of like one mini so I can't help you there. It is generally highly regarded though and probably something you might want to look into.
>>
Jsa is better than jla
>>
>>94389902

Any recommendations? Never actually read a JSA book but I am very open to it
>>
>>94389489
Skip Hush.

If anyone tries to tell you Loeb and Sale team-up hasn't made some of the finest comics ever he's an idiot.
>>
>>94390045

I always see Hush in "Shelf" threads and thought it was pretty much a must buy. What do you consider to be bad about it?

Also, which Loeb and Sale books are you talking about?
>>
The Dark Knight Strikes Again is the bad one. You want The Dark Knight Returns. Also, get Superman: Secret Identity and New Super-Man: Made in China.
>>
>>94390288

awh shit, I actually meant Returns, my bad. I know that Strickes Back is the bad one but I might get it with Master Race further down the line because I would like to have the complete collection

Will check out Secret Identity, thanks. I thought Made in China was an ongoing and not a story by itself?
>>
>>94390257
>I always see Hush in "Shelf" threads and thought it was pretty much a must buy. What do you consider to be bad about it?
Sure, next to Saga, Killing Joke, the most recent printing of Watchmen, scott snyder batman

>Also, which Loeb and Sale books are you talking about?
All of them. even that shitty wolverine and gambit one. still a damn good looking book. Though, if you can, try getting your hands on their challengers of the unknown must die paperback do so.
>>
>>94389931
1999 or the 2000s one
>>
>>94390257
Loeb is one of the best modern writers
Spider-Man Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, Hulk: Grey, Nova, Challengers of the Unknown, Superman/Batman, and For All Seasons are all fucking terrific
>>
get some Millar, Miller, Milligan and Moore books
>>
>>94390371
Yeah, it's the first volume of the ongoing, but it's really good.
>>
>>94390380
>>94390564
Deluxe Edition of Challengers is coming out soon I think
Sale's art deserves the nicer collections, he makes beautiful stuff
>>
>>94390564
>nova
we'll disagree there. I'll put Cap: White there instead.
>>
>>94390648

no ongoings since they're a chore to get in Europe. I read ongoings as ebooks since it's much easier

>>94390564

thought about getting Daredevil and Hulk but I wanted to check out Spidey Blue first in order to judge whether I like the art style

will check out Challengers since it sounds like an interesting concept
>>
>>94390716
Oh, that's fine then. By ongoing, I meant it was the first trade of an ongoing run.
>>
>>94390257
I don't really like Loeb's work but Superman/Batman was a fantastic read, I know it's X many issues longer but it's a way better recommendation than For All Seasons.
>>
>>94390564
besides his Hulk and Ultimatum, Loeb just understands comics so well
>>
>>94390649
this is good to know, I'll be looking forward to that.

>>94390911
yeeeesh supremely shit taste

Superman for all seasons is impeccable.
>>
>>94390716
Hulk is actually surprisingly good. I'm not the biggest hulk fan, so there's that (which is also why I probably don't give a fuck about the Loeb hate boner some have).

I think Spidey is probably the best of the colors books though. Even if it's a bit plebeian.
>>
>>94390911

are you talking about Public Enemies and Supergirl?
>>
>>94391025
more like where's my suppergirl amiright?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.