[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marvel's Black Knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

Why is he one of the most bland characters despite being so old? I mean, seriously, there's nothing that makes him interesting. He's a scientist who'spowered by magic but doesn't believe in it, and he's a bit of a doofus with an "addiction problem". That's a good basis, but not enough.

All he does these days is run around with his Muslimfu and be nothing like his namesake. He could've been named... dunno, Doctor Night and nothing would've changed.
>>
File: This is the ultimate blacknight.jpg (1MB, 994x1528px) Image search: [Google]
This is the ultimate blacknight.jpg
1MB, 994x1528px
>>94382763
What do you suggest? Make him a crazy war veteran quadriplegic, suffering from PTSP with no sense of reality?

Then put him in a cybersuit?

The original blacknight villian, Garrett, was also a crazy madman. Mutating horses to relive his "My Little Pony" fantasy and jury-rigging weapons of mass destruction into his lance.
>>
>>94382979
Dunno, make him go all DEUS VULT? Make him fully accept the supernatural and go and find Eldtritch Abominations in a Dark Souls-esque world? Become a priest?! Something other than "science guy fights...things".
>>
>>94383016
The problem is that Black Knight power source comes from the ebony blade and bloody faerie mages. Its more celtic in origin. Dane is a scientist powered by "reason" and I agree, so bland, that you can't differentiate his character from Cpt. Britain out of suit.

Besides there is already a DEUS VULT powered knight, unfortunately, knowing the current roster of writers at marvel, he'll be forever relegated to a c-list scare villain even though his power of belief is strong enough to takedown Thor.
>>
Honestly the Black Knight mini had a set-up that could go anywhere and it went nowhere. That's on the writer.

Me? I'd do a mock Arthurian story (even though that got old centuries ago, because I love it) and make Dane the reincarnation of Bedivere and Faiza the living personification of Excalibur's magical scabbard which I think would be a neat twist given her powers and history. Inspiration for the first arc would come from "The Frozen Lake" by Stevie Smith.
>>
>>94383244
Yeah, there's that. It's just that there are tons of explicitly atheist or muslim characters, yet no christian ones (except for Nightcralwer, considering Daredevil is now an atheist), so I figured Dane, being a blank slate could at least get that trait.
>>
There was a "new" black knight sponsored by the vatican. Though he was used to make T'challa look good and explain how Dane lost the ebony blade and how he acquired a fake vampiric blade. A mess of plotholes.

In any case, he is the direct decendant of Lancelot and a british fervent catholic. Augustine du Lac. Had 2 or 3 lines and now sits in a Wakandan prison indefinitely.
>>
They should give him a story where Faiza is brutally murdered in an honour killing and he executes all the muslims in Britain in retaliation
>>
File: 1484849894340.jpg (131KB, 736x728px)
1484849894340.jpg
131KB, 736x728px
>>94383539
Dane's allegiance is really more to Avalon than anything else. Spiritually speaking. When it comes up at all.

Besides, due to time travel shenanigans, he actually fought in the Crusades. I doubt he's very interested in any DEUS VULTing.

However, Dane is certainly NOT an atheist. He was one of the heroes recruited by the Goddess in Infinity Crusade. So he definitely believes in something, and she did show him a vision of the Holy Grail.

At the end of the day, though, all Black Knight really needs is a writer other than fucking Tieri to show him some love.
>>
File: 1483381615767.jpg (736KB, 1600x1168px) Image search: [Google]
1483381615767.jpg
736KB, 1600x1168px
>>94383905
>wanting Faiza dead

She's cute and easily the best love interest Dane's ever had. But I think Cornell erred when he gave her the sword and name Excalibur. Eventually someone's gonna resurrect the team Excalibur and with the hard-on Marvel has for Earth X the sword is destined for Brian. At best, she's just holding it for him. Sooner or later, some writer's gonna want to use the name or the sword and Faiza's gonna have to give 'em up. Cornell could have saved everyone some trouble and given her something that would have stuck from the start.
>>
>>94382763
Michael Carpenter from Dresden Files. Just expy him right into Marvel. Hell expy most of Dresden Files support cast over there, just shifting the focus to him.

Charity Carpenter is someone he saved from the wrong path, magical and a badass in her own right
Dresden the snarky wizard friend who helps on occasion.
Murphey the spunky female cop
Then just pick a angel to be a regular character. Plus the swords passing down is a ready made legacy mechanic.

Molly the rebellious daughter and magical.
>>
File: image.png (222KB, 500x500px)
image.png
222KB, 500x500px
>>94384531
Forgot pic

Almost fucked up the format.
>>
>>94383244
Have him be a guy that, instead of being a scientist, is actually heavily Christian. He is heavily conflicted about using the Black Knight's power, knowing it comes from pagan sources, but also knowing he can use it against those pagans and demons himself. The ultimate Christian sacrifice, giving up salvation itself for the sake of others.
>>
>>94384575
Just to note, I don't actually know anything about the Black Knight, the extent of my knowledge is pretty much some Avengers stuff and was he in that weird Captain Britain and MI7 or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (299KB, 1600x871px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299KB, 1600x871px
>>94384562
Fuck. Wrong pic. And yes I did fuck up the format.
>>
>>94382979
>What do you suggest? Make him a crazy war veteran quadriplegic, suffering from PTSP with no sense of reality?
Star Wars crossover. Make him a Jedi existing in 616.
>>
File: 1485821739823.png (767KB, 450x662px)
1485821739823.png
767KB, 450x662px
>>94384605
>>94384575
Science and religion don't necessarily have to be in conflict. Many great minds have also been sincerely religious. Dane likely is a believing (if not necessarily practicing) Christian. Considering his background, I'm gonna guess Episcopalian, but I don't think this has ever been established.

And while he's been shown to be a bit uncomfortable with the magic crap that gets dumped on him, he's never had too much of a problem with that stuff and he definitely shows a degree of reverence for the Lady of the Lake.

Plus, he's got a dorky kebab waifu. So neither of them are particularly dogmatic. Dane's Christianity is probably at least a little syncretic with Celtic paganism (more than Christianity already is anyway).

As a character, Dane owes more to Arthurian legend and chivalric romances than to historical holy wars and religious observance. Basically, he's slays dragons more than he lays siege to Jerusalem.
>>
>>94382763
>All he does these days is run around with his Muslimfu and be nothing like his namesake.
I thought he was in Weirdworld running shit while slowly being driven mad by his sword.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.