[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys think that 20 pages a month is too few, and why a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1500664285013.jpg (16KB, 294x268px) Image search: [Google]
1500664285013.jpg
16KB, 294x268px
Do you guys think that 20 pages a month is too few, and why a lot of comics seem to have pacing problems? Or am I just imagining that and am simply spoiled by manga? Even when I read TPBs of 12-18 issue collections or volumes everything feels like there's severely less space than the events of the story actually call for. Especially action scenes. Fights are ridiculously compressed while dialogue is weirdly decompressed.
>>
Can't bump your own thread, OP
I'm not going to bump it either (because fuck you)
>>
Mildly unrelated but When was the last time a superhero got into a fight and like a year later that same fight was still going on?
>>
>>94380644
20 pages a month used to be fine. It's 20 words a page that's the real problem.
>>
>>94382784
You're not wrong, but I think OP has a point. Older stuff went closer to 25-30 pages sometimes especially in the bronze age.
>>
>>94380644
Yeah, 20 pages a month really isn't that much. Problem is that Marvel & DC seem to care more about the paper itself than the storry written on the paper. Nobody is asking for everything to be in black and white, but you could easily use the money saved from the paper to make longer stories.
>>
Anything more usually isn't realistic with color, you'd have to cut corners somewhere down the line.
>>
>>94382728
Does Dragon Ball Z count?
>>
It depends on the writer. Too many are just writing for the trade or stretch out plots as long as they can because they can't think of anything else. I don't think it's exclusive to comics. I've read plenty of manga where you can tell the mangaka is stalling for a big moment on the last page of just about every issue to keep people hooked.
>>
Yes.
Rising standards have fucked us all over.
>>
>tfw we'll never have black and white bi weekly comics and the best ones are collected and then coloured exclusively in trades
>>
>>94383973
Naw, i was thinking of American superheros.
>>
>>94380644
As most will say, the problem is decompression coupled with the rise of "widescreen" art. Artists have to put in a lot more effort now to depict much less story.

Current series struggling with decompression, I'll use Nightwing as an example, should theoretically work a lot better in trade, which is fine, because some stories are just going to work better that way. But despite the format the actual stories of Nightwing are not all that interesting.

If you're gonna do long, drawn out stories, they need to be very exciting and interesting, a lot has to happen in each issue, it needs to be like a TV show. I think it'd benefit to reduce some books like Nightwing from bimonthly to monthly but do 30-40 pages per issue.

I like to use Grayson and the Vision as my two examples of modern comics storytelling done right. Grayson is highly episodic where each issue has a complete story while still contributing to the overarching narrative. Each issue of Vision has multiple important plot developments but revolves around one specific event, like the Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

It might sound unfair to ask that every comic be as good as highly acclaimed ones like those, but if your issues feel like filler, you can't expect me to maintain interest.
>>
>>94382728
I don't think EVER
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.