[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The loveliest lies of all what did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: over the garden wall.png (270KB, 1132x596px) Image search: [Google]
over the garden wall.png
270KB, 1132x596px
>The loveliest lies of all

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>94374621
That it's a fucking fairy tale and dream world.

I don't know how people still don't get that.
>>
>>94374621
Is a story ergo not real ergo a lie, but its also a good story.
>>
>>94374621

It's talking about the Divine Comedy, this book was a happy ending to certain circunstances in Dante's life... it's beautiful, it's art and it's happy but it's not true. The constrast between the book and the real life of the author makes people who study about it ask themselves "which version of the story do I like more?" and there're two options "A happy lie" or "a sad reality".

So... People who write their stories taking as model The divine comedy try to replicate that feeling, usually showing us a happy fantasy and a bad end reality. An example of this dynamic is the manga Umineko No Naku Koro ni which is essentially a fight between magic World and real world.

McHale made basically that... a story where Wirt (Dante) has a sad background, his father died when he was young, his mother remarried with another man, he feels displaced by his step-brother and he don't like people because they are all liars (according to McHale comments the disguises are a symbolism, people don't show to others what kind of persons they really are, even Sara is an unknow for Wirt who don't really know her according to McHale). [Sad reality]

But Wirt found a place where he fits better, with honest people and where he meets his first friend and true love (Beatrice). [Happy fantasy]

Honestly the song fits more with the original ending of this story in which Wirt stays in the unknow and Greg returns home, even though Wirt technically died in this version this is not a sad end according to McHale (as many people interpret it), it's just another ending, a thing of preference. Wirt stays in the unknow a place which he loves with his ideal woman... what a lovely lie.

Unironically people mostly prefer the Happy fantasy.
>>
The entire thing is about Wirt overcoming his own delusions and confronting reality for what it is. The unknown represents "the lovely lies" that we tell ourselves to keep us sane and comfortable.
>>
>>94376031
thats is a extremely simplistic concept tho
of course fantasy is not real, nobody lives completely in reality either except for diogenes maybe
>>
>>94374621
While I've got you /co/, we all agree that the woodsman dies right? Cause otherwise he had just forgotten where his daughter was for several years.
>>
>>94376111
But that's assuming The Unknown isn't a sort of limbo/afterlife that often can have people reliving their own stories and lives without realizing it.
>>
>>94376127
the unkown is a diferent thing for every single person there, it clearly was limbo for the two rich people on that episode, doesnt mean it was limbo for anyone else
>>
>>94376127
I feel like the show gives no indication of everything just resetting upon someone's death in The Unknown. It shows people becoming skele-pumps, trees, bones to be sorted or whatever happened to Quincy Endicot. And the residents are aware of death, by way of the tavern patrons' reaction to the beast and "use you in his lantern for to burn." I think he dies and the scene with his daughter is a happy ending reunion for him/tearjerker for us.
>>
>>94374621
A good question
>>
He means that it's a fucking work of fiction. What, did you think it was a documentary?
>>
File: OTGW love 5.png (419KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
OTGW love 5.png
419KB, 1500x1500px
Do you mean is healty be in one relationship like this?
>>
>>94378131
I don't see what you mean
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.