[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Non-US Readers prefer the X-Men?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_otnou9hzse1stbkjno4_1280.jpg (609KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_otnou9hzse1stbkjno4_1280.jpg
609KB, 1280x721px
I always wondered that. Considering the Avengers and all other Super-Teams were almost exclusively always compromised of US-Based characters and solved US-Based problems to defend the US, the X-Men being a mish-mash of differentnationalities always made me think that the foreigners would prefer them. At least that's what I've seen on the boards.

Have I been memed, or does this hold any merit?
>>
>>94373103
I dont know what the hell are you trying to say, but I like the Xmen because of 90's cartoon. Cyclops was always my favorite.
>>
I grew up watching the Xmen so they are my favorites, but I like the Avengers also.
>>
>>94373103
>EDGY FURROWED DRAMATICALLY SHADED MALE FACES
>smooth featureless female faces
Tbqhwyf that's one of my biggest pet peeves/ instantly qualifiea an artist as a hack, if they can't draw their females in the same GRITTY style as their males
See Gears of War
>>
>>94373127
>Avengers & JLA
>Almost All-American

>X-Men
>Different Nationalities

Therefore it's more likely for a Russian or Italian to feel more comfortable reading an X-Men book, rather than an Avengers one, which is very US-Centric.

It ain't that hard to grasp.
>>
I know Japan likes the X-men
>>
>>94373103
here, other than big events always has been spiderman and the x-men, other shit don't sell that good and there's no character from my country so I don't really care about nationalities
>>
File: savage land.jpg (122KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
savage land.jpg
122KB, 600x630px
>>94373161

well I wouldn't even say it's a matter of nationality so much as it's a matter of location.

The X-men tend to go to space, or the savage land or madripoor or the astral plane or bad futures a lot more than other heroes who tend to stick to New York.

They're a lot broader in scope and scale while not quite going full cosmic
>>
>>94373171
This is just ridiculous. Do the Japanese think tits are filled with soy sauce?
>>
>>94373199

mmmmmmmmmmaybe
>>
File: huge-bouncing-boobs1.gif (3MB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
huge-bouncing-boobs1.gif
3MB, 234x250px
>>94373199
I know is not 2d but
>>
>>94373209
>>94373219
Nice
>>
>>94373103
Non-US readers barely read Marvel and DC in the first place
>>
>>94373103
Yup, that was the case in my country, apparently. Mostly for the 90s cartoon, but the fighting games probably helped.
Me, I liked the "international" aspect when I started reading it, even though there were no proper X-Men from my country.

Of course after the movies, everyone knows the Avengers and stuff, just like in the us, but overall I think the X-Men are still more popular. (NOT the current comics ones, of course.)
>>
>>94373161
>Therefore it's more likely for a Russian or Italian to feel more comfortable reading an X-Men book

you mean reading poorly made stereotypes where the russian is a communist and the italian is loud and likes pasta?
natinalities always were one of american comic weak points, wich is fine, but if someone likes a comic because a character is from his country of origin, he´s just stupid
>>
>>94373255
>Non-US readers
Wrong, even if Manga are taking a big chunk, at least here, >non english speaking country from Europe, we mostly read DC and Marvel
>>
This thread made me realise that there isn't a major black or Mexican mutant. That's pretty weird.
>>
>>94373309
Didn't realize Colossus was a communist.
>>
File: 1487991384149.png (171KB, 346x297px) Image search: [Google]
1487991384149.png
171KB, 346x297px
>>94373329
Storm
>>
>>94373192
Hmm, thought so.

>>94373303
Same here.

>>94373309
I will agree with that. For example, there are no Eastern European characters that aren't gypsies or evil. Very few Germans who aren't Nazis.

But because of the international aspect of the X-Men, you could more easily self-insert and pretend to be one of the gang. You didn't need to be an American from NY whose job was protecting the President to be one of the X-Men. You could've been from anywhere in the world and you'd still have the chance of being an X-Man.

For example, I like Reed Richards, but when he uses terms like Eurotrash, or when Stark goes on tirades about the greatness of the US and the need to protect itself, it's hard to get attached and not feel a bit bad. With the X-Men you don't have those problems.
>>
>>94373329
>black
Storm
>Mexican
Rictor X23
>>
>>94373343
>>94373393
Wow thanks. I'm an idiot.
>>
>>94373103
In the good years the X-men had more consistent writers or at the very least ongoing stories that helped you get attached to the characters. The very concept of the group also made it so any character was just "a person" that you could appreciate for the way they had to deal with a normal life in extraordinary circumstances.

The Avengers was always a mess of a mishmash that kept going in wild directions, and most of the cast either wasn't developed outside of their own books or just weren't interesting enough for you to care about their development.

Also X-men is a cooler name that's easier to market. The Avengers hardly avenge anything.

tl;dr: the avengers always sucked and if you think they don't it's just because of the movies
>>
>>94373393
>Storm
Storm is not black. She was always by design an odd non-existent race. It's part of her mutation.
>>
>>94373103
>Do Non-US Readers prefer the X-Men?
The xmen had a cartoon, dipshit

>implying any race outside of america cares about race politics
omg where are the pinoy mutants and avengers
we are the strongest race didnt you know
muh pinoy pride
>>
>>94373103

The nationality isn't as big of a factor as the diversity of characters and the basic soap opera elements mixed with the school surroundings. Avengers have day jobs and own lives to live, the X-men don't, they traditionally all live on the school and hang out all the time, and thus it's more personal.
>>
>>94373428
>Storm is not black
Storm is black American, her parents travel to Africa and died there or something
>>
>>94373103
Anon, nobody on the X-Men isn't US American in terms of psychology and behaviour. They're at best WASPs with percentiles.

It's mainly the drama and the pretend-real-life issues that make them popular.
>>
>>94373436
>non-white immigrants getting away with rape and murder in Europe because they're a protected class
>China and Russia treating people in certain parts of their countries like shit because they aren't their preferred race even if the only noticeable difference is cultural
>Japan in general
Yeah, race sure doesn't matter in the rest of the world, no no sir.
>>
>>94373470

Storm was originally meant to be a member of an ancient race of witches.
>>
>>94373161
>Avengers & JLA
>>Almost All-American

Of the seven founding members of the Justice League 3 of them aren't American. Four if you count Superman
>>
>>94373343
>Storm
>Black

Claremont says she isn't. Deal with it.
>>
File: japanese-xmen[1].jpg (76KB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
japanese-xmen[1].jpg
76KB, 640x346px
There's something there, but it's overplayed. There's loads of fat anime fangirls watching shit with no white people in it. Saint Seya is big in latin america, but doesn';t even have castillain spanish people in it.

Spider man is bigger than the X men and Avengers combined in Japan and doesn't have any asians in it at all. Silk doesn't count because Japan has no clue who the fuck she is yet, plus she's Korean.

>>94373309
Just slapping on a nationality like the diversity squad from the old Justice League cartoon isn't going to do it. No one in Japan wants to see Samurai on the Justice league, or gives a fuck about sunfire on the x men.

>>94373393
For what it's worth rictor and X 23 aren't blatant and in your face with the designated token diversity like say, Warpath.
>>
>>94373508
Superman still lives in America and grew up as an American. The word's in the title "Justice League of America".
>>
>>94373539
>No one in Japan wants to see Samurai on the Justice league

True dat. It ought to be Dr. Light.
>>
To me (when I was like 9) X-Men was the one I wanted to read, and was teh most engaging for me, while Avengers was something I thought was only for events and stuff.
>>
File: RCO008_1469326532.jpg (666KB, 1054x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO008_1469326532.jpg
666KB, 1054x1600px
>>94373516
>Claremont
>>
>>94373539

X-men anime could have been pretty cool if they hadn't fucked it up so bad. It should have been a typical school based shounen show with one new student going to the school and becoming an X-man by the end of it.
>>
>>94373541

That's why I said "If". Even wioth the "of America" I never felt like the Justice League fought for American interests and were protectors of the world. The X-men felt far more American centric because they're an allegory for whatever civil rights movement you're having at the time.
>>
File: RCO009_1469326532.jpg (642KB, 1054x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO009_1469326532.jpg
642KB, 1054x1600px
>>94373588
>>
>>94373548
I was momentarily confused because I thought you were trying to say Japan wanted more rape in the comics.
>>
>>94373103
I am an X-Men fan, but I don't think representation factors into it much. I do have to say, I'm a bit bored of New York as a setting though. So it was nice that X-Men relocated a few times in the past and generally deployed all over the place.
>>
>>94373601
Yeah, that's a valid POV as well.
>>
>>94373589
>>94373539

They absolutely play up the japanese here. They go by Armor's real name. The runes literally describe her as a japanese middle school girl mutant.
>>
>>94373103
I know I do. Even with the movies out, you can't find many avenger comics licensed / translated, while the X-Men are a staple for like.... 20 years? or more?
>>
>>94373255
Yes and no. We read everything. Manga, US, and euro comics. We have the real diversity of choice
>>
>>94373506
see, that's the thing
"meant"

she is black and half-african, and it's canon
>>
File: armor ender.jpg (374KB, 650x827px) Image search: [Google]
armor ender.jpg
374KB, 650x827px
>>94373659
>>94373539

I liked the X-men anime, I wish they'd make another one.

Armor is cool and cute
>>
>>94374048
Ha ha, you know they will not.
Instead, enjoy avengers, guardians, defenders, and maybe inhumans anime instead
>>
>>94374057

well only the x-men one was any good anyways
>>
>>94373103
Yes, them and Spider-Man are the only Marvel properties I care about.
>>
>>94373997
Yeah, but even with US comics Marvel and DC are only a small part.
>>
File: Hisako_Ichiki_(Earth-616)_017.jpg (36KB, 296x560px) Image search: [Google]
Hisako_Ichiki_(Earth-616)_017.jpg
36KB, 296x560px
>>94373659

Well, I won't say her being Japanese isn't an intentional choice but I don't think it's really PLAYED UP beyond given them an excuse for the setting. The series did take place mostly in Japan and Hisako is SUPER Japanese but there was no real push for JAPAN NO 1! Like there could have been.

It didn't feel token because the Japanese aspects where used to enhance the plot rather than the plot dancing to make them go to Japan. It didn't feel token. And the X-men go to Japan A LOT anyways.
>>
I'm a eurofag. Age of Apocalypse was my first US comic. Definitely prefer the X-Men to the Avengers, but I like Cap and Thor a lot too.
>>
>>94373103
Yes but not because of the comics but because of the games
>>
>>94374487

I imagine it's a little of both. The guy who drew Rurouni Kenshin went into detail about how X-men (And venom) where HUGE inspirations. He even wrote about how he went turbo geek over meeting Jim Lee at a convention
>>
>>94374166
>but even with US comics Marvel and DC are only a small part.

They're like half of the market.
>>
>>94373503
>Yeah, race sure doesn't matter in the rest of the world, no no sir.
Well, actually it's not about race, it's the culture and religion that tend to make things difficult. Just look at the recent european researches in social spheres: you will barely find a word about race differences.
>>
>>94373103
X-Men are the only worthwhile franchise in Marvel comics, that and Spider-man. I don't give a fuck about any of those losers from the so-called "Earth Mightiest Heroes". Loved their shows and found that whenever those other cucks cameo'd, they were out of place or was cringy as hell. Even when the movies came out they didn't really clicked with me, and would watch the X-Men films despite turning to shit.

I expect that when they milk the MCU to death and the movies end (probably not), they would again play second banana to X-men and Spider-men. I found Fantastic Four amusing though, but looking at them was strange as my country had traditional family values and calling them "family" in spite of some dumb fuck not being blood related felt silly.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.