[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC's Young Animal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9

File: YA.jpg (60KB, 340x256px) Image search: [Google]
YA.jpg
60KB, 340x256px
What went wrong?
>>
>>94337472
Nothing
>>
>>94337472
Nothing, shit is legit.
>>
>>94337472
Not enough people buying it
>>
I like shade and the super powers back up, nothing else does anything for me
>>
You can't make capeshit appealing to altcomics fags. They're too biased. They hate DC no matter what type of comic they publish
>>
>>94337937
thats not the demo for the books
>>
did mother panic ever stop the whole "i'm so edgy even batman thinks i'm hardcore?"
>>
Guys, the OP is bait to get people in the thread talking about YA.

>>94337937
It's not for altcomics fags, it's for young adults. People who buy stuff like Saga, Walking Dead and Fables aren't altcomis fags.

What a lot of people don't realize is that non-capes targeted at manga-reading young adults actually sell really well in book stores. That was the goal with DCYou, to make stuff that appealed to those folks, but the floppies just sold so badly they couldn't sustain themselves until the trades came out.

I really hope this stuff manages to pick up some steam with the trades coming out. Shade especially seems like something that should appeal to the girls that like comics but not superheroes. I really wish Marvel would get take heed from this and stop trying to cross-pollinate their young adult books with mainline superhero books.
>>
>>94337598
>>94337824
>>94337850
These. The content is solid, even Mother Panic (which I'm surprised hasn't made more of a splash with casual readers considering it's a tertiary Bat title). The real problem is most comic readers don't really like experimental things. Most want familiar, by the numbers action on a monthly basis. Look at the Metal event. It's just more Scott Snyder Batwank, but hype is pretty high for such a stupid premise.
>>
>>94337850
got my trade of Shade, at least
>>
>>94337472
Is op baiting people to reveal they don't know shit about shit?
>>
>>94337472

Doom Patrol is great, I was pulling Cave Carson but after the 4th? Issue I had to make a call and I just wasn't feeling it...
>>
>>94338449
No, it's just a classic "nobody responds to threads unless the OP makes them mad" tactic.
>>
>>94337937
Some of these aren't even capeshit aside from being set in the DCU. Cave Carson is a sci-fi fantasy adventure
>>
>>94338089
I like that she has slowly been realizing she's not as edgy as she thought, she's evolving into a hero despite her flaws, is endearing IMO so I was not expecting the revelation she apparently set fire and murdered everyone on that school, including the other students/victims/experiments
>>
>>94338640
>that spoiler

picked up
>>
>>94337472
Wasn't about lycanthropes. Fuckin' misleading-ass title...
>>
The whole line is awesome
>>
The only one I am reading is Shade the Changing Girl, are the others worth reading?
>>
>>94338871
Bug is fun in a light Ambush Bug sorta way
>>
>>94338871
Doom Patrol is weird and very Doom Patrol-esque. The latest issue had them reunite with the Chief and then subsequently leave because he was still a shitty human being except now even more bugfuck insane
>>
>>94338871

Doom Patrol is a loveletter to Grant Morrison's time on the comic.
>>
>>94337472
Sad that they scrapped the last couple issues of Bug for the trade.
>>
>>94339320
Is it cancelled-cancelled or just being resolicited? Allred can be slow sometimes
>>
>>94339541
It was very vague. The release schedule just said the original dates for the comics are now listed as TPB.
>>
>>94338985
>Doom Patrol is Gerard Way's loveletter to Grant Morrison
ftfy
>>
How old is Mother Panic suppose to be? 20-25?
>>
>>94337472
It's "lets be happy faggots instead of cynical faggots like Marvel" the comic line. Fuck these losers and their shitty books.

I will drop DC so hard if they start sliding back towards garbage like they are with Metal and with how this faggot shit turned out.
>>
>>94340518
Angry faggot right here.
>>
>>94338640
But...that wasn't her....
>>
>>94337472

Can someone explain what this is about? and maybe link me to a download of it I've been hearing a lot of good things about these particular comics?
>>
>>94341027
it's just a line up of books by talent curated by gerard way
>>
>>94339541
Is that true? I liked the new back up and want to see the rest
>>
>>94338182
This. Comic fans are the worst.
>>
Nothing,i am really digging most of the titles,i haven't read Carson yet tho.
>>
>>94339320
Wow, seriously? So I can't get them in floppies? I swear if Young Animal goes under, I have no faith in the DC readership
>>
>>94340518
>lets be happy faggots instead of cynical faggots like Marvel
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>94342070
DP is already down to 20k and that's the flagship title, they'll probably start cutting the fat at some point if it gets too bad but I don't see it ending entirely especially given that they're aiming at the trade market mostly
>>
>>94341027
Gerard Way (singer for MCR and Grant Morrison's apprentice) curated line of mature readers comics. Books have a lot of edgier and weirder premises. Definitely worth checking out if you want a little variety with your capeshit
>>
>>94337472
retarded name
>>
I'm pulling Shade. Read some of Cave Carson, which is okay but I really wasn't feeling it enough to buy it. Been looking at throwing DP onto my pull, though.
>>
File: surprised.png (198KB, 1651x588px) Image search: [Google]
surprised.png
198KB, 1651x588px
Not even one DC thread can be up without these faggots
>>
File: nova.png (2MB, 597x1018px) Image search: [Google]
nova.png
2MB, 597x1018px
>>94342133
>>94342070
I only buy trades so I hope that is the case.
>>
>>94337472
Maybe went a little overboard on the wierd at first but nothing otherwise.
>>
>>94341027
It's a line aimed at young adults and mature readers similar to early Vertigo. All are set in the DC universe.

Doom Patrol is a pseudo-continuation of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, which was essentially what birthed Vertigo. You don't need to have read Morrison's run but it's one of those comics everyone should read anyway so I suggest you do.

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye is similar in concept to Morrison's Animal Man: take a character no one has used in a long time and do a "where are they now?" type of story.

Mother Panic is about a vigilante in Gotham but who isn't related to Batman in any fashion.

Shade the Changing Girl is a pseudo-continuation of Peter Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, another early Vertigo landmark. Like Doom Patrol it combines new characters with existing ones and doesn't have a direct story connection to its predecessor, but it uses similar themes and makes references to it.

Bug! The Adventures of Forager is Lee, Michael and Laura Allred's tribute to everything Jack Kirby. It uses one of the most obscure New Gods characters and is all about the most obscure Kirby classics there are, including his versions of Sandman and Manhunter and even a couple of Blue Beetle newspaper strips he did uncredited.

Currently still uploading so wait a few minutes before downloading:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q9yc30qqd0ibw3o/AADFlCzlQtfCEFIecbCXn9Z-a?dl=0

>>94342070
Honestly I can't blame them. The books are meant for the book store market, not the floppy buying one. Bug especially is aimed at a VERY specific kind of extremely hardcore fan.
>>
File: 200w_d (1).gif (86KB, 200x83px) Image search: [Google]
200w_d (1).gif
86KB, 200x83px
>>94340518

Oh hooooo somebodys angryyyyy...
>>
>>94338871
Doom Patrol>Shade>Bug>Cave>Mother Panic.

Though all are good and worth reading.
>>
>>94337598
fpbp
>>
>>94337472
So who should write Young Animal Hellblazer? If DC ever decides to revive that title.
>>
>>94342973
Well, "The Hellblazer" is already a Rebirth title.
>>
>>94343004
Yeah but it's not the same as a mature Constantine book.
>>
>>94337472
Nothing
Just three out of the five series they publish read better as a trade paper back
>>
>>94337472
D list characters plus D list creators = no sales
>>
I really want to like the YA books, but most of them are just too slow paced. Cave Carson and Shade in particular. At least Mother Panic seems to have a new storyline every three issues--even if they're a bit hit and miss.
>>
>>94343041
DC neutered John to make him the face of the mystic side of DCU. He's high B list and a part of DC's public image, he's not getting another mature series.
>>
I don't think anything has gone wrong for YA, they just released their first 4 trades, they are already planning what's next in 2018 with The DC/YA crossover Specials, they are promoting it in diverse ways (i.e. The LP for Record Store Day, The Spotify Playlists, The Young Animal Mix-tape) there really is no bad series and their weakest book is still pretty good.
>>
>>94337472
Any recommendations? I read the first couple of issues of Doom Patrol and thought it was solid, but had to drop it due to being a poorfag. How's Mother Panic?
>>
The creators don't have enough political pull with the right people, so garbage like Faith and Mockingbird get eisner nominations, and they get more or less shut out completely.
>>
>>94343752
Well, Rebirth has been all about restoring characters to their fan-favorite versions, and Hellblazer is currently selling like dog shit, I think making it a mature readers title in Vertigo or YA might help it a little.

I'm surprised it's even selling as "well" as it is considering nobody is talking about it.
>>
File: kaine attempts to be edgy.png (145KB, 419x387px) Image search: [Google]
kaine attempts to be edgy.png
145KB, 419x387px
>>94344710
Give Bug and Mother Panic a try. Can't say much about Cave Carson and Doom Patrol since I haven't read those yet.

Mother Panic is basically about a cybernetic enhanced vigilante that swore vengeance against those that experimented on her and several other kids. Attempts to be edgy but still save the innocent.
>>
>>94344816
>Faith
>implying Valiant has political capitol at all
>>
>>94344891
>Bug
Why should I read this?
>>
>>94344910
It's everything good about the allred silver surfer book without the dan slott
>>
>>94344974
And the useless human girl. At least Bug got a loli ghost, a talking teddy bear that claims to be a 9 tail fox goddess and a mother box.
>>
>>94344974
Wow good pitch. I'll probably check it out now.
>>
>>94337472
I find most of it just as mediocre as rebirth. Shade lost it's steam with the road trip, Doom Patrol's first arc was mediocre even though the latest issue was great, Cave Carson and mother panic were never good. Rich needs to find some new promising writers instead of Jody Houser and Alex Rivera. The imprint is too artist heavy.
>>
>>94345327
The only one I've been completely enjoying is Bug. It's just a bunch of fun one shots with an overarching plot, done in an old school way.
>>
>>94345327
>>
>>94337937
>You can't make capeshit appealing to altcomics fags

Shade the Changing Girl is pretty legit.

I say that as a foreign comic reader who never bought anything from the capeshit companies that wasn't written by a Brit.
>>
>>94338501
Cave Carson is complete capeshit. A bunch of good guys chasing bad guys is the stretched out premise for the first hundred issues. Only Shade is the one that cannot be counted as capeshit.
>>
>>94337472
Don't know.

But found it hilarious that bunch of people who like these got really butt hurt whe they found out it takes place in DC, like Batman and Superman have already shown up in there.
>>
Crossovers when
>>
>>94345540
December.
>>
>>94345379
Gerard pls. You should maybe write something original, instead of aping Morrison.
>>
Isn't this the DC Imprint Gerard Way helped with?
>>
>>94337472
Ridiculous delays on Doom Patrol
Baiting people with an amazing artist for Mother Panic but then switching him out with a real shit one
Releasing Shade's trade last
Too much hype for Cave Carson before it as even out. Also Oeming.

And then it's the huge break they're all getting with nothing new like a mini to take it's place.
>>
>it's a "/co/ gets uncomfortable that a good comic is coming out and decides to dig deep to find something to nitpick" episode
>>
>>94345672
It's just DC being incompetent as always and not doing enough to help the imprint.
>>
>>94337888
Bug seems cool from what I've read. Also I wish they'd give James Harvey and Tom Scioli more than just backups in these comics.
>>
File: 1499118103703.jpg (381KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1499118103703.jpg
381KB, 1988x3056px
Bane's coloring corner exists because of YA.

I'm not complaining, this is funny.
>>
>>94345803
Bug is really bad.
>>
>>94345672
Because YA is style over substance. It is producing nothing good compared to what Vertigo was doing decades back. Vertigo was given its own imprint because Karen Berger had a different vision. DC has tried to produce a lot of imprints since then, all of which were eventually folded into Vertigo. Young Animal seems to be another of those imprint.
>>
>>94337472
>>94338182
nothing it fills it niche.

i always get a kick when someone complains about rebirth being by the numbers & safe when DC has a fucking imprint that's all about being experimental & taking risks

also where the hell were these guys when the new52 and/or DCyou happened? those 2 periods alone were DC trying to be experimental and everyone ultimately shat on them for it.

>>94338090
i would've picked up the trade of cave carson if barnes & noble didn't put fucking stickers in the middle of the goddamn book.

nothing turns me off to buying a book more than a big white sticker in the middle of a page
>>
>>94347369
>DC has a fucking imprint that's all about being experimental & taking risks
It's a small imprint and it's not THAT experimental.

Besides, people want a combination of the two, not 90% of DC being safe and by the numbers and a small 10% that's a different imprint being a bit more out there. You're just as clueless as DC.
>>
File: Shiggity.png (147KB, 236x338px) Image search: [Google]
Shiggity.png
147KB, 236x338px
>>94347410
>people want a combination of the two, not 90% of DC being safe and by the numbers and a small 10% that's a different imprint being a bit more out there
>people in the thread complaining about the sales say otherwise

really nigga? you're gonna pull THAT card?
>>
>>94347477
what?
>>
Any pro-lifers reading Shade are going to be grumpy when they read the new issue. I'd wondered when it might get more overt about politics as it's had some oblique references before.
>>
Doom Patrol is everything I want from comics. Also, Mark Russel and Tom Scioli should each get their own YA books instead of just doing back-ups
>>
>>94347502
you claim that people want a combination of the 2 but the sales of DC prior to rebirth says otherwise and the fact that YA isn't selling well shows that too.
>>
>>94337472
It's not a Marvel imprint
>>
>>94338182
>The real problem is most comic readers don't really like experimental things.

I'd argue the main problem is that they are self contained. You don't see any of these characters popping up in other books.
>>
>>94350805
I think most people would like that though
>>
>>94337472
Doom Patrol is great.

Haven't read Shade the Changing Girl yet but I'm a big fan of Shade the Changing Man run by Peter Milligan so I'm looking forward to that.(DC, get your shit together and finish collecting that)

Haven't read Cave Carson or Mother Panic yet.
>>
>>94350834
They have to admit that they completely fuckes up trying to collect that and just need to start again. 19 issues over nine years out of a 70 issue long run is a disaster.
>>
>>94337472
>DC
>>
>>94350834
Shade was great but it has lost some steam since she went to travel around alone.
>>
>>94347477
what a terrible use of that image. you realize it's meant to spot out cuties. hence QT.
>>
>>94337472
YA should be the place to go for new artists looking to revamp forgotten characters. Imagine surrealist spins on Kirby stuff like Klarion, Etrigan, and OMAC that doesn't have to be bound with main line synergy.
>>
>>94352410
>Imagine surrealist spins on Kirby

Fuck that
>>
>>94352410
everything about this post is cancer
>>
>>94338471

I kept reading Cave until Scioli stopped doing backups, then I started pulling Bug! instead.
>>
>>94350834

I have all of Shade the Changing Man, both Milliagan and Ditko, in floppy form. Basically the jewel of my collection. I do wish the Vertigo series was completely collected so others could enjoy that masterpiece.
>>
>>94352410
Fuck off, youre what's wrong with comic's
>>
Cave is the only one that hasn't really grabbed me, probably because I have no connection at all to the characters. The others are decent.
>>
>>94337472
It tries too fucking hard to be Grant Morrison weird for weird's sake. The only one that seems to be pulling it off right now is Cave Carson. Don't even get me started on Mother Panic...
>>
>>94337472
>implying there is anything wrong
Mousketeers are on full damage control
>>
>>94353242
Being beholden to shitty decades old continuity, characters, and creators is exactly the problem with comics and literally everyone knows it except autistic wiki-memorizing manchildren like you.
>>
>>94356123
>Kirby creations are shitty

Neck yourself
>>
mother panic would be much better if they rotated tommy lee edwards and JPL instead of the mediocre artist that's drawn half the series by now.
>>
>>94342260
>Blue Beetle newspaper strips he did uncredited
I was wondering what a character that still belonged to Charlton was doing there.
>>
I didn't care for Mother Panic at all, but I'm loving Doom Patrol, Cave Carson, and Forager.
I'd probably dig Shade, but I never read the old series so it didn't catch my eye.
>>
>>94357570

Shawn Crystal is good tho.
>>
>>94357732
Shade's mostly stand-alone, with only a few names connecting it to the Peter Milligan version of the character (not Ditko). I don't think it has actually referenced anything that happened in the Vertigo series, and has only mentioned that Rac Shade was a poet.
>>
is mother panic good? willing to give it a second shot but i couldn't make it thru issue one
>>
>>94357682
What?
>>
>>94357496
Kirby creations are good because Kirby did his own thing without getting into retarded ass DC continuity. Nobody does that nowadays because autist would scream OC donut steel.
>>
>>94352434
>>94353049
>>94353242
>not muh precious Kirby
So instead of bringing the characters back in some capacity, you'd rather they just stay dead forever. Three out of the four ongoings are literally revamps of old unused characters.
>>
>>94358879
I was more offended by the "surrealist takes on Kirby".

Who wants a surreal OMAC?
That sounds like shit. Just give me crazy adventures in a sci-fi future.
>>
>>94357889
Yes
>>
>>94358899
OMAC was great and still holds up as innovative, what I'm saying is that there are ways to breathe new life into forgotten characters and keep innovating, while holding into that spirit.
>>
>>94358899
This shit is why capeshit has become incestuous and shitty writers like Johns are big names. Morrison already did his own spin on Kirby's character and it was a lot better than every retard who tried to out-Kirby Kirby, as you suggested it should be. Milligan did his own spin on a Ditko character and it's still one of the best capeshit runs.
>>
>>94359341
>Morrison already did his own spin on Kirby's character a

Oh you mean BATMAN IS THE BEST BATMAN IS THE NEW ORION bullshit?
>>
>>94359367
>being this new
No wonder you find Johns to be readable.
And no, that wasn't it, newfag.
>>
>>94359451
Who said anything about Johns?
Of course you'd put words in my mouth if you think Batrman hijacking the New Gods was a good idea.
>>
>>94337472
The only good title (Cave Carson) has the worst artist.
>>
>>94359476
>Batman
>Kirby character
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.