[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't like it. Am I a brainlet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

I didn't like it. Am I a brainlet?
>>
no, you just didn't fall into the meme
>>
>>94322465
Just not a pseduintelectual.
>>
>>94322497
You spelled "pseudo" and "intellectual" wrong.
>>
>>94322512
That's because I am no intellectual, psedu or otherwise.
>>
It's a sci-fi book that goes a bit artsy fartsy in the final act. Liking it doesn't make you a genius, disliking it doesn't make you a retard.
>>
>>94322465
No, Jodorowsky is a hack fuck.
>>
>>94322828
Bugger off. Bouncer: To Hell and Back is some good gunslinging adventure.
>>
>>94322465
It just means you are neither a pseudointellectual or the type to buy into mindless hype.
>>
>>94322465
Its really carried by Moebius' art. Seeing what crazy shit Jordowsky comes up with next is entertaining, but the story is very poorly paced and heavily disjointed. Both of them have done far better.
>>
It's french surrealist cinema as fuck, and part of that means mindlessly flitting around the flimsiest excuses to go batshit.

I read The Metabarons first, and was a little disappointed with The Incal in a way I might not have been the other way around.
>>
from a drawfag's point of view the work is amazing, as is most of jeans work.
>>
>>94322846
I thought the consensus on Incal was that the story was meh to average, but Mobius's art is what makes it a must read. I found it to be fairly standard 80s psychedelic sci fi stuff aside from Mobius.
>>
>>94323607
That is the consensus.
Jodorowsky IS a hack.
>>
could have been better as dune
>>
>>94323523
>I read The Metabarons first, and was a little disappointed with The Incal in a way I might not have been the other way around.
Metabarons is much better.
>>
File: eye roll.gif (411KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
eye roll.gif
411KB, 500x284px
>Jodorowsky
>>
File: ccfb11224563c784212ccae6d556eca0.jpg (312KB, 1102x805px) Image search: [Google]
ccfb11224563c784212ccae6d556eca0.jpg
312KB, 1102x805px
Why does people preaise Jordowsky so much?

i hate when people start mental masturbating thinking about what "Jordowsky's Dune" could had been
>>
>>94322465
No, it's not for everyone. Jodo isn't for everyone either. I like it but I think The Metabarons is better, so even if you didn't like The Incal I would give Metabarons a try (even just for the amazing art).

My fav Jodo book though is Son of the Gun.
>>
File: gallery2.jpg (191KB, 1080x799px) Image search: [Google]
gallery2.jpg
191KB, 1080x799px
>>94324216
Nothing wrong with being interested in what Jodorowsky was cooking up. DalĂ­ playing an alien emperor, weird witchcraft, laser swords fights before Star Wars was even a thing... i mean, just looking at the fucking spaceships. I remember one of the first things i thought when i saw one of v the early GotG trailers was "FINALLY, colorful spaceships!"

Plus people also hype the project up because of how dull the actual movie turned out in comparison. And i say this as a big Lynch fan
>>
>>94324461
yeah, it's not so much about being hyped for Jodo on dune. It's who he brought together. Some of the weirdest group of people he brought together, I mean Mic Jagger and Orison Wells were even going to play characters.
>>
>>94322465
Jodorowsky is an adquired taste

All his comic works are non sequitur followed by non sequitur. Incal and Metabarons are the least non sensical of his works. And it took l'Incal like 20 years to make sense of it's overarching plot by creating a metanarrative

If you read Cour Coronne, Lama Blanco or Alef-Thau, it gets even weirder.

Jorodowsky has some strange ideas on postmodernism, all his comics sort of live the moment then go into random directions. If he was a little more serious, he'd probably make some of them episodic.
>>
>>94324606
heh, my first experience with him was Holy Mountain. Now that's a weird one. Really like it though
>>
nothing makes me ree like a sperg more than reading about how Rango was inspired by El Topo. there isn't a shred of inspiration from it to be seen and i cant for the life of me imagine what the fuck the creator was talking about when he said that.
>>
>>94324958
I can see the absurdist western/acid western feel from it but that's about it
>>
Let me break down Jodorowsky for you. He's not pretentious; if anything he's the opposite of pretentious in a very weird and specific way. When you think of pretentious or if you want to try to define it, usually one would think of movies with artistic measures that don't really serve any other purpose other than to simply look like they mean something more. Personally I think Only God Forgives or Nymphomaniac are good examples of that. But with Jodorowsky, he's the exact opposite. Not only does literally everything he puts in a movie have meaning, it's blatantly clear what it is. The problem or why people find him off-putting is that he wants EVERYTHING to have meaning. It's a boy? Something something childhood masculinity. It's a girl? Something something sexual femininity. It's a cross? Something something religious subversion.

If most postmodern artists are trying to minimally splatter paint against a blank canvas and call that art, Jodorowsky is trying to paint a giant Where's Waldo picture except with dicks, vaginas, shit, swords, and the Church. And I think that's interesting enough of to entertain reading about.
>>
>>94324958
Actually it makes a lot of sense. Both are westerns more concerned in the growing of the main character and his role in the world than in the classical western stance.
>>
>>94324461
It doesn't fit the book's description of him at all, but whenever I re-read Dune I always imagine Dali as the emperor, mustache and all.
>>
>>94325423
he got the crown, saved the town and mr krabs. it wasnt a personal journey like el topo, rango was there by circumstance and felt the need to help out like most generic westerns. not to say it isnt a good movie though
>>
>>94325580
There was very much a personal arc with Rango though, he didn't want to help because of how self-absorbed he was and only decided to when he felt like it was 'his story' he was playing out. He needed to give that up in the end.
>>
>When I wanted to do the rape scene, I explained to [Mara Lorenzio] that I was going to hit her and rape her. There was no emotional relationship between us, because I had put a clause in all the women's contracts stating that they would not make love with the director. We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib... I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really... I really... I really raped her. And she screamed."
what a mad man
>>
>>94325393
yeah, that's a pretty good analysis. Although, I don't think everything is as plain as you say. Watching Holy Mountain a person can come out with wildly different interpretations. But what it does do is FORCE you to have an interpretation. He tries to flood your brain wish so many images and icons that your brain is forced into making an interpretation of what it's seeing.
>>
>(((thinly))) veiled globalist brainwash using the same old "everything not following the american standard is overhyped, normal people must love simple cape like us" role play
co and ck really are sibling boards
>>
File: cock.jpg (126KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
cock.jpg
126KB, 1050x700px
>>94326081
Truly made for each other
>>
>>94324216
That makes perfect sense though. All we see and hear of it are rough ideas and early development. Because it cannot go further than that, it can become whatever we in our imaginations. It's like that comic where Charlie Brown finally meets the red haired girl and is disappointed his god has a zit. But we never get to meet her, so her beauty is eternal.
>>
>>94325510
John Hurt for me. Heck, any old rusty bastard is John Hurt.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.