[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone give me a quick run down on X-Men Blue/Gold?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: BLUE.jpg (402KB, 1032x1600px) Image search: [Google]
BLUE.jpg
402KB, 1032x1600px
Loved X-men books as a kid in the 80's/90's. I recently read all the X-men comics silver age through bronze age from the omnibus's I bought. Haven't bought a new comic in over a decade (besides Marvel star Wars).

I want to pick up some X-Men books and keep up with some comics again. Can someone give me a quick run down of the whole X-Men blue/gold thing?
>>
>>94308654
If you liked X-Men in the 80s and 90s, reading X-Men Blue or Gold might actually cause you to commit suicide.
>>
X-Men Gold is a team led by Kitty usually and features other 80's/90's X-Men like Nightcrawler and Colossus, and has been one of the weaker of the new X-Men books

X-Men Blue follows the teen original 5 X-Men, who are led by Magneto, and in my opinion is one of the better current X-Men books

The best one I read was Jean Grey

Weapon X, Iceman, Astonishing, and Wolverine were all pretty boring
>>
>>94308654
Blue is the time displaced original team with magneto and ultimate wolverine's son. It's more cartoons and more about the team traveling to various mutant problems. If you like love triangles this is your book because everyone in this book wants to fuck Jean grey

Gold is the 1980s team minus Cyclops and rogue. With help from the Xstudents who have been wallpaper for the last decade. They fight crime in NYC since the school is now in central park. It's also the book that poorly handles social issues as the team faces off against a slew of right wing strawmen.
>>
File: my sides.jpg (22KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
my sides.jpg
22KB, 340x340px
>>94308801
>>
>>94308801
mostly this

Blue is good for /ss/ though
>>
>>94309124
Yeah, Emma hasn't done nothing to young Cyclops yet.
>>
>>94309032
One of the reasons I have avoided new books is I don't want to read SJW BS. Sounds like some 'ant-right wing' propaganda is thrown in?

I guess I'll pick up a TPB of some of these new X titles when they come out and see if I like it.
>>
>>94309190
It's not as ham fisted as other books the uptighty righties are a bit more fleshed out and they and the X-Men make attempts to talk out their differences.
>>
>>94308654
they're not worth reading

Weapon X is the most readable X book today I guess
>>
>>94309190
If you don't want SJW BS avoid Marvel entirely. There's a lot of good DC stuff out now and you can start from Rebirth very easily.
If you really want X-Men I heard Cable, Astonishing, Blue and Old Man Logan were ok. Avoid Iceman like the plague.
>>
>>94308654
>I want to pick up some X-Men books and keep up with some comics again.
Now is not the best time. Blue might barely be worth keeping up with. Also Weapon X if you can stomach the """art""".
But really, if you want to read more X-Men stuff and you haven't read anything since original Claremont, maybe check out the 2000s. It's pretty dark at times, which you can like or not, but it had a wide range of long running, solidly written titles going on.
This lasted until around 2010 when some shitty events started putting the quality into a steady decline and after 2012, nothing save a few short-lived fringe titles were worth reading at all anymore. Then the franchise got even more fucked up as they cancelled all of the fringe books, leaving nothing but the shitty main books until, finally this year they changed some of the writers and started printing enough X-Men books again for one or two to be readable at all again.
Really, it would not be an unpopular statement around here to say that the 2010s will likely end up being the worst decade of X-Men we've ever had.
>>
>>94309190
>One of the reasons I have avoided new books is I don't want to read SJW BS. Sounds like some 'ant-right wing' propaganda is thrown in?

From about 2001 onwards, they really started focusing on "let's make mutants more like a real minority group".

If you aren't any kind of minority, and don't 'identify' as one either, there's a solid chance that any given X-book since then could contain a lot of anti-majority identity politics that will unintentionally redpill you against the very idea of having minorities in your society, when all you wanted was a superhero comic.
>>
>>94310754
>Really, it would not be an unpopular statement around here to say that the 2010s will likely end up being the worst decade of X-Men we've ever had.

It's going to be the worst decade Marvel has ever had. A lot of people can't stop REEEEEEEing about the 1990s to see that, possibly because they aren't really aware how bad modern Marvel has gotten.
>>
Pretty Good
>X-Men Blue

Readable
>Gen X, Weapon X

Underwhelminng
>everything else

Nothing is really 'bad' per se, but nothing is doing what Blue does (throwing all of those cool ass dudes who make scarce appearances back into the picture)
>>
>>94309190
Well, there are jewish people, a black woman, a gay dude, so no safe space for you there.
>>
>>94311380
It might be impopular, but it is true. Actually, let's see if we can figure out the pattern of mutant quality

80s>90s>2000s>2010s

Gee, I wonder what the next decade will bring us.
>>
>>94311307
>2001
They've always been barely-veiled minority stand-ins.
>>
>>94311735

As much as fans like to pretend otherwise, and Stan Lee loves to take credit for it, no, that didn't really start until the 1980s. The 1960s and 1970s X-Men comics are largely devoid of anything about oppression or minorities.

Claremont in the 1980s really started it, and while there were things in the 1980s and 1990s that were inspired by real events, like the early Genosha stories, or the Legacy Virus, as comic-book versions of Apartheid South Africa and AIDS, it was mostly just universal themes of alienation, things anyone could identify with, and mutants worked as much as an analogy for being a teenager, going through the changes of puberty, and just not fitting in.

In the 2000s this changed, they really started focusing on it being all about a minority-metaphor, and focusing hard, to the exclusion of much of what used to make the books work, and there's been a lot more us-against-the-majority identity politics ever since, while the big mutant vs mutant battles the franchise was built on got rarer and rarer because most of the big villains joined the X-Men in racial solidarity against the constant extinction threat stories.
>>
>>94308654
>Someone wasted money grading this.
>>
>>94312370
It was always about "others", but not racial minorities. More political red scare kind of stuff.
>>
>>94308654
Blue is a bad comic you shouldn't read.

Gold is a bad comic you've already read because it lazily covers the same ground as many other X-Men comics.
>>
>>94312440

Lee and Kirby came up with the idea of mutants purely so they didn't have to bother creating origin stories for every character.

There are very few moments in the 1960s comics where there's any anti-mutant sentiment that wasn't in direct response to the actions of Magneto. The X-Men got to work alongside the authorities and be accepted.

Even the Silver Age Sentinels stories start off as humans wanting to defend themselves against the "mutant threat", but quickly turn into stories about out of control AI turning against it's creators and threatening the world.
>>
>>94311546
Ahem, forced homosexual. Lest we forget.
>>
File: marvel citizens.jpg (2MB, 2073x2981px) Image search: [Google]
marvel citizens.jpg
2MB, 2073x2981px
>>94312586
I think your problem is that you think it wasn't there just because they did typical cape stuff too.
>>
>>94308654

Blue is good in spite of having very disliked characters, the original 5 brought brack from the past by Bendis. Bunn is doing a remarkable job.

Gold isnt good. It is basically mediocre, with Kitty Pryde as the leader and Mary Sue waifu of the writer. Badly thought plots in general. Colossus is being a stalker still in love with Kitty, and characters like Storm are wallpaper.

Generation X is good, but has very polarizing art, and characters people dislike like Quentin Quire, or dont care about. I dislike having as students characters who have already graduated. But it is a good book imo.

Weapon X is good, although it seems like a single long adventure that will be sold together in a trade eventually, not an ongoing.

The first issue of Astonishing was very good, and looks like it could be the best X Men book in years if Soule delivers (I am not well predisposed to him because of IvX and what he did to Emma, but I did like his Swamp Thing)
>>
>>94312774

That moment was the exception rather than the rule, for the sake of pushing Beast into quitting the X-Men to become a wrestler instead.

But you're right, since the 1990s ended, there's been less and less of the "typical cape stuff", and more and more of the identity politics, and nobody writing about mutants seems to have wanted to back down from it except Remender, and fans did not react well to that, nor did other Marvel writers.
>>
>>94312774

Marvel citizens are more unrealistic than mutants
>>
>>94312370

The Neal Adams run is pretty entertaining. It's definitely worth taking a look at.
>>
>>94309190
If you're this easily triggered you probably should just stop reading comics. Especially comics based on characters who are literally analogues for social injustice.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.