[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did people want this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
Why did people want this?
>>
This is a very good question.

Why would any fan of anything want an adaptation by Sony fucking Pictures? It baffles me when people get all mad they didn't bastardize Popeye on their studi, I mean haven't they learned anything after TASM 2?
>>
The Sneak Peek you got that picture from looked real good
>>
>>94293122
No, it didn't. It really, really didn't.
Off the top of my head I can remember the "It's raining men" meme and the annoying dance meme.
I can't imagine how horrible the movie would have been.
>>
>>94293022
>>94293081

It was being helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky, featured snappy and expressive animation with a style dead-on with the Fleischer shorts, and was made in early 2014 when Sony Animation was still brimming with potential from Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

This was before either Emoji Movie or Angry Birds Movie were known to be things as well as flops like that Smurfs movie and other shit got churned out.
>>
>>94293143
Do you classify everything as a meme?
>>
>>94293249
>style dead-on with the Fleischer shorts
lol absolutely fucking not
>>
File: GUNndy Tartakovsky.png (444KB, 763x532px) Image search: [Google]
GUNndy Tartakovsky.png
444KB, 763x532px
>>94293022
What the fuck did you just say, anon?
>>
>>94293249
>Angry Birds Movie

This was actually animated by the same studio who made the games. Sony/Columbia just distributed.
>>
File: jgYOF1G.gif (539KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
jgYOF1G.gif
539KB, 625x626px
>this post
>other posts about emoji movie being good
>>
>>94293383
Okay, contrarian.

>>94293406
Ah. Interesting. Guess that's why the plot wasn't as by the numbers as Emoji Movie's was.
>>
>>94293143
It's a proof of concept, dumbass. It looked great. Don't comment on things you don't understand.
>>
>>94293547
The Popeye proof-of-concept's camerawork was essentially the same as any bargain-bin animated movie of the 2010s and the characters just snapped between keyframes with no weight or sense of loftiness. Watch Popeye Meets Sinbad the Sailor followed by the demo scene and tell me they're anything alike.
>>
>>94293660
We get it, dude. Shitting on Sony is a fun and popular thing to do. Just make an Emoji Movie thread instead.
>>
>>94293022
because it's not the emoji movie
>>
When was the last time anyone made anything Popeye related? Of all the possible revivals/reboots this one could be successful just due to feeling new and different. Just compare it to what's out there right now. It's not a superhero movie. It's not a 90s nostalgia film.
>>
File: pop02-covera_111.jpg (111KB, 495x751px) Image search: [Google]
pop02-covera_111.jpg
111KB, 495x751px
>>94293908
IDW has been doing comics
>>
>>94293022
muh nostalgia.

its funny bc the same people who claim they wanted this also complain about the 20 billion Disney sequels and reboots coming out.

>damn lack of new ideas!
>damn, wish we got that movie of a 60 year old cartoon!

in all fairness though, I loved the hell out of the 2014 Peanuts movie. so I'm not saying all reboots are bad, I;m just pointing out the hypocrisy.
>>
>>94293022
>made be gendy and sony
nobody wants it anon aside from nostalgiafags and that one guy who faps to olive oyle
>>
>>94293660
>Watch Popeye Meets Sinbad the Sailor followed by the demo scene and tell me they're anything alike.

Try watching any 1960s-1980s Popeye cartoon by King Features themselves, or Hanna-Barbera (like the ones the official Popeye Facebook page is posting now), and see how stomach churningly bad they are.

The Genndy demo is thousands of times better than them, as well as obviously Fleischer inspired.

One thing the demo did by accident was not showing Popeye really fighting anyone. This was actually an oversight, there were going to be other great, raw fight scenes in the story; but it hit an audience who came to the (understandable) conclusion that Sony wouldn't allow Popeye to fight at all.
So Genndy took a self-inflicted blow.

It's almost painful to see Sony's promos for the Popeye movie now, talking about how Fleischer fans were realizing their dream. This was absolutely true, and Sony yanking that away after publicly announcing it and celebrating it is beyond cynical; it's heartbreaking.
>>
>>94293926
Those died because they didn't have a movie to back them up. All that exists now is a monthly Popeye reprint book, not as good...
>>
File: popeye fight.png (244KB, 1000x694px) Image search: [Google]
popeye fight.png
244KB, 1000x694px
>>94293022
>Why did people want this?

Here's why. Popeye at his best is kind of amazing. (And this is still a fight with Bluto, the most stereotypical thing to show, and it's STILL good.)
>>
nobody knew or cared at all about this popeye reboot until they found out that Emoji Movie was being released near the same time. Also sucking Genndy's dick became real popular by the time Samurai Jack was brought back, "WHERE'S MUH POPEYE".
>>
I only want a popeye reboot if its done by seth macfarlane or is an anime.
>>
>>94294067
How does the demo being better than 60s-80s cashgrabs invalidate my point that it doesn't capture the style of the original cartoons in any meaningful way? You sound like an autist clinging to this Popeye film just because it's something with Popeye that isn't total, irredeemable garbage, despite being nothing special.
>>
>>94293022
cuz genndy and nostalgia

"oh look a cartoon i know the name of as a kid its back hashtagretro hashtagourgernationisbest hashtaggifofspinich
>>
People keep bringing up the Emoji Movie, apparently being blissfully unaware that it's the reason this Popeye movie got canned.
>>
Our generation?
... kids from the 30s to 60s?
>>
>>94293022
I honestly didn't give a shit, but when you cancel something that looks at the very least decent for the fucking Emoji movie you can expect some backlash.
>>
What about the Woody Woodpecker one?
>>
>>94293249
>It was being helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky
It's good that it didn't get made then.
>>
>>94294249
Not released at same time, released INSTEAD OF.
Basically what late 90s nerds must have felt like when they heard "hey we're cancelling that cool looking Superman movie by Tim Burton in his prime to instead make Wild Wild West".
Hell even in that situation you can look at Wild Wild West and go "yeah I like Will Smith mightbegood" but NOBODY wants Emoji Movie.
>>
>>94293926
Olive is packing a little something extra there
>>
>>94296058
That Canadian live action thing made for Brazil? DOA.
>>
>>94296189
>cool looking
>Nic Cage as Superman
>>
>>94293022
I bet there won't be much fighting, anyone got that webm of popeye punching it out with bluto?
>>
>>94296666
nostalgia is one hell of a drug anon
>>
https://youtu.be/M1lzJuwJD9k
>that behind the scenes
>everyone looks so happy

I haven't been this bummed since I watched the special features for Princess and the Frog and people were expressing how much they loved working on a 2D animated movie again and how they hoped to do more
>>
How was this teaser any different than a Scrat segment from any Ice Age movie?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYUh88gr7DI
>>
>>94293022
We gotta keep our boy Genndy employed
>>
>>94296666
>implying that wouldn't work
>>
When the sneak peek was released all anyone on /co/ could talk about was how visually it looked extremely interesting. Though 3D, it was animated in a very 2D way, with bones flubbed around to make the kind of distorted 3/4s perspective you see in cartoons, stretched around in the way you rarely see "lifeless poseable-model 3D" do, and faces pretty much re-molded each frame rather than using a realistic muscle tone rendering technique.

It was a very neat animation test, though personally I wouldn't want to see a full-length Popeye movie.
>>
>>94293994
It's not hypocrisy to want a new take on something that's been gone for a long time and not want remakes of something that never actually left.
>>
>>94296851
>https://youtu.be/
>>
File: Popeye_Sep30_1934.jpg (450KB, 1200x949px) Image search: [Google]
Popeye_Sep30_1934.jpg
450KB, 1200x949px
>>94294120
The Popeye shorts are classic, but I'd like a new show or something to take after the Segar strip more, where it doesn't only always end in spinach and punching.
>>
File: popeye_hc_04-077_1000px.jpg (349KB, 1000x827px) Image search: [Google]
popeye_hc_04-077_1000px.jpg
349KB, 1000x827px
>>
>>94298832
Prolly look into the 60s run of the cartoon.
Cheaper budget/animation slowed down the story to be a lot more talkative like the strips.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=l3pocfwhMi0
>>
>>94298832
>>94298879

That clever motherfucker...
>>
>>94298920
>Prolly look into the 60s run of the cartoon.
>Cheaper budget/animation slowed down the story to be a lot more talkative like the strips.

Yes, but they still felt compelled to be like the 50s theatre cartoons where everything is about bluto and spinach
>>
>>94296189
>"hey we're cancelling that cool looking Superman movie by Tim Burton in his prime to instead make Wild Wild West".
But they didn't cancel the Tim Burton Superman movie because of Wild Wild West, they did it because Batman & Robin was a gargantuan flop that killed the dying superhero interest
>>
>>94299364
Yeah and the budget was put into WildWildWest.
They even talked about how the producer was still able to sneak in the giant spider robot he wanted in the documentary.
>>
>>94298920
>Prolly
>>
>>94293022
Underage detected.
Nigga who WOULDN'T want to see a Popeye anything? Except live-action, cause that shit was trash.
>>
File: 1501312580640.jpg (2MB, 901x3736px) Image search: [Google]
1501312580640.jpg
2MB, 901x3736px
>>94293399
Watch it boyo.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.