[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did anyone else watch Valerian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: Valerian.jpg (207KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Valerian.jpg
207KB, 1080x1080px
Im not familiar with the original comics, but I enjoyed the movie overall. The side adventures were really great and I liked the playful nature of the relationship between the lead characters. The main story was greatly lacking though. Probably should have been a tv show given that the best parts of the movie were the mini adventures.
>>
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=valerian.htm

WHAT HAVE I BECOME
>>
I saw it. The intro that was set to "Space Oddity" was pretty fuckin' cool, but after that it went downhill, and fast.

Dane DeHaan is one of the worst leading men I've ever seen. He's a void of personality. Cara Delevingne was only slightly better. Unfortunately replacing these two actors with more charismatic people wouldn't have saved it.

It's a bummer because I went in expecting a wacky, zany visual spectacle of an adventure that had little story or substance, but I still left somewhat disappointed.
>>
>>94274672
>Unfortunately replacing these two actors with more charismatic people wouldn't have saved it

It wouldn't have saved it but definitely improved it a lot.
As said, DeHaan is one of the last persons who should've played that role, especially when he talks about how attractive he is while looking like some sort of younger, groomed version of The Spleen from Mystery Men.
>>
>>94274672
Intro was great. I also loved the Big Market sequence
>>
>>94274672
I think Dane is a good actor, I liked him in A Place Beyond the Pines, but yeah he was really miscast in this role.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOL3hS3hSOY

Did this end on a cliffhanger where the bad guy won at every turn?
>>
>>94274672
>Cara Delevingne was only slightly better.
It must be nice to be so ingrained in the social elite that they keep giving you blockbusters to fail in, despite being such a subpar actor.
>>
>>94276509
Nah, it was pretty self contained. It did leave two small plot threads open but they're slight.

>>94275600
You're right, I just sort and accepted it due to that contrast and how we're supposed to take Valerian as being a joke anyway.
>>
>>94274494
the original story, from the comic books is very different, i think Besson tried to make something more simple for the audience. i don't know if there is an english traduction, but the original story is from the graphic novel ''L'Ambassadeur des Ombres'' ( Ambassador of the Shadows) and not '' L'Empire des mille planètes''
>>
it's by far the most entertaining comic book movie released this year, Kingsmen and Thor might top it though
>>
>>94277746
>traduction
>>
>>94278963
omelette du fromage
>>
>>94274672
I loved DeHaan in Chronicle, but he's been typecast ever since. Pairing him up with Cara Delevingne was a mistake too, because they are gender swapped mirrors of each other

Rihanna's introduction was fantastic, but it's like the writers completely ran out of ideas for her once she finished her dance sequence

The spectacle behind his movie was amazing, and could've ushered new admiration for the sci-fi genre, but the characters were flat, the dialogue was heavy-handed, and the story was incredibly predictable for all the effort they put into keeping you on your toes
>>
File: 1489127637243.jpg (117KB, 800x714px) Image search: [Google]
1489127637243.jpg
117KB, 800x714px
>>94277810
>by far

Even with meme magic of your caliber, this is low quality bait
>>
>>94274494
Fuck you, I'm going to pretend they are brother and sister.
>>
>>94274494
Really enjoyed it except for the bubble subplot.
>>
>>94279564
>Rihanna
>>
>>94274494
See the movie as à thème park ride and you will enjoy it
>>
>>94275668
The Big Market sequence was really creative. It would've been great if they hadn't squandered it
>too early in the movie
>too long for its place in the movie
>no sense of stakes (what's a "converter" and why should I care?)
>>
>>94274672
David Bowie is too over used in sci-fi.
>>
>>94276563
Emilia Clarke's made a living on it.
>>
>>94281901
>too early in the movie
It's to get things off running

>too long for its place in the movie
I can understand that

>no sense of stakes (what's a "converter" and why should I care?)
It introduces the macguffin, which will be explained elsewhere, like most movies.
>>
>>94274494
Besson should have done a videogame instead
>>
>>94274494
Are the big dark eyebrows with blonde hair some kind of secret hollywood shorthand for "this is a bad actress, but she will take it from everyone" or something?
>>
>>94274555
>Production Budget: $177.2 million

I assume there was some tax credit/cultural grant fudging here because who the fuck would fund this
>>
>>94283543
Gensys was good
>>
>>94283983

Luc's been wanting to make this movie since he started directing. This was a passion project and he was probably able to persuade people because of his success with the 5th Element and Lucy (budget $40 million, gross $463 million).
>>
>>94284122
>budget $40 million, gross $463 million
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
the only good part was the intro. everything after that was trash

>two leads with the emotional range of Siri
>no chemistry between them
>movie spends 15 minutes establishing the merpeople as a peaceful people, then tries to go "oh noes, could they be bad maybe!?". No, it was obvious they were not going to be the bad guys
>we get strong evidence implicating the general as the bad guy before he's even introduced, yet when his actions are confirmed in a flash back, his face is hidden, as if to set up some huge surprise. Not five minutes later they go back to the flashback and reveal his face. To absolutely no ones surprise, it's the general.
>Valerian uses to Super armor burst through steel and concrete, but when his partner (in the same armor) is captured in a wooden cage, she can't escape
>The girl tells Valerian "You're the one who follows the rules! I'm the wild one!". We're never given any indication of these personality traits. In fact, Valerian seems to be just the opposite, as in the beginning he's shown to blow off reading the memo on the upcoming mission.

I might have enjoyed this movie if it didn't treat the audience as if they had the IQ of a sponge.
>>
>>94277810
> might
Kingsman has Firth and Strong, who can act even asleep.
>>
Those blue fish aliens were gay as fuck. I think they should have died
>>
File: 1500084154713.jpg (10KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
1500084154713.jpg
10KB, 320x220px
>>94274494
>but I enjoyed the movie overall.
>>
>>94274494
>ginger erasure is real
>>
I really wanted to watch it, but the panning it's gotten makes it seem like a waste of time.
>>
>>94285450
If you are okay with style over substance, go watch it.

If you want more than the barest amount of substance, wait/
>>
>>94274494
the actor looks like he needs to be 5 years older and the actress 5 years younger.
>>
>>94285481
If I can find enjoyment in something as bad as Transformers: Age of Extinction, am I good to go? Tickets at my local cinema are only $6.
>>
>>94285708
Yeah.
Everything people have said, good and bad, are all true. It's really all about your threshold for it.

But Age of Extinction? I think you have a safe bet.
>>
>>94285757
Nice. I'll probably catch it at some point over the next week.
>>
>>94274494
So we got a charismatic square jawed hero lead and his sexy redhead sidekick so sexy she appeared in the the French Playboy despite being a cartoon.

Let's cast Valerian as a sleepy eyed baby faced zombie boy and Laureline as giant eyebrowed blonde who cant emote.

Fucking look at them. The drawings are expressing emotion and characterization more than the flesh and blood actors. They look like they're modeling underwear for fucks sake

This is the setting that did Star Wars years before Star Wars. What the fuck did it do to warrant such disrespect from the filmmakers?
>>
>10/10 intro
>basically directionless from then on out

Awww...why the main dude gotta be the most boring part of all this? I mean Jellyfish Robo-Bros, give me more of that shit.
>>
>>94286557
Being French.
>>
The casting choice for the two leads is a real mystery. Were they going for the millennial audience and thought these two would best be able to capture it? Millennial men may be a bunch of skinnyfat weaklings, but that doesn't mean they want skinnyfat weaklings to be the heroes of their movies.
>>
>>94289354
No, the YA market. In case you've been living under a rock, it turns out Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and all the ripoffs of those two make shitloads of money.
>>
>>94290028
Don't YA movies have to be adapted from successful YA literature to capture that demographic though? You can't just cast youngish actors with nonthreatening physical appearance and expect to get that audience.
>>
>>94289354
The casting was incredibly awful. The source material calls for a square jawed hero and a redhead sexbomb and THIS was the best they could do.

What the actual fuck? I hope someone gets shitcanned for this.
>>
>>94290587
Cara was obviously there because of nepotism, but Dane's casting is just a huge "wtf were they thinking" move.
>>
File: 9781849180870.jpg (230KB, 680x900px) Image search: [Google]
9781849180870.jpg
230KB, 680x900px
so is the comic good?
>>
>>94275668
I agree
>>
>>94274494
So, what was your favorite scène?
>>
>>94284403
Don't forget...
>Spend twenty minutes getting Rihanna to form fuck Valerian to "avoid a diplomatic incident
>Prpceed to MURDER THE FUCKING KING
>>
>>94284122
How the FUCK did Lucy make that much money? It was complete trash! It wasn't even the best movie about unlocking 100% brain potential giving you superpowers of the year!
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.