[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Vision

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: background.jpg (77KB, 633x537px) Image search: [Google]
background.jpg
77KB, 633x537px
Is this an allegory for immigrants, or is there more thematic significance that I'm missing?
>>
I think it's primarily a soldier trying and failing to live a normal life after coming home from war. But there is some obvious other-ing stuff going on too. I wouldn't say specifically immigrant though.
>>
>>94254953
I think that's a quick allegory (or black people, ie black family moves into the neighbourhood and everyone gets pissy)

Thematically it's probably more about responsibility and guilt, especially the first volume
>>
>>94255001
This anons gets it.
It's more about fitting into a society that isn't suitable for someone anymore, and about how broken people struggle to fit in the regular, average, normal day life of an average citizen. It could be an immigrant, but it could also be a robot, a criminal, an outcast or the smartest person in the world.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1533x961px
>>94255001
>>94255080
Alright, alright. Also, I have a few questions regarding symbolism. Is the vase of Ze-laa and it's toxicity to flowers meant to be a metaphor for the inability of the Visions to assimilate into human society (Virginia kills the Reaper during the narration) and the question of the futility of the vase is meant to represent the futility of the Visions attempts for normal life?

Secondly, what is the symbolic significance of the redskin poster stained with blood at the end of issue 4?
>>
>>94254953
Immigration, you can see King's CIA stuff in it (not memeing). Like how people in Iraq who helped the soldiers during the war there are situated to American society but they can't really fit in with the local crowd and local crowd doesn't really accept them.
In the first issue there's a conversation between Vision and Virginia where they discuss whether it is proper to say "seemed nice" or "seemed kind" and you can clearly see this is just a discourse of local mannerisms and behavior.
There's also Vision telling the police officer how he saved the world 37 times and Vision never (not a lot) saves the world like other Avengers do where he's the main protagonist and he's delivering the final punch, instead his contribution is always very important for Avengers to win their battle. So there you can also draw the parallel of war refugee who was an important figure.
Honestly you can see the story however you really want to, I choose to see it as the immigration allegory because there are far too many nods towards it.
>>94255001
>>94255092
You can definitely see it that way but there's also Vision's family to consider and that allegory doesn't come quite together.
>>
>>94255182
>Is the vase of Ze-laa and it's toxicity to flowers meant to be a metaphor for the inability of the Visions to assimilate into human society
Yes, the two elements just don't feel together, it's pretty straight forward allegory.
>Secondly, what is the symbolic significance of the redskin poster stained with blood at the end of issue 4?
I really don't know about this one, might need to see some context. In real world the Redskins are the American Football team, right?
>>
>>94255437
Interesting.
What do you think of the symbolism mentioned here? >>94255182
>>
>>94255669
Yeah, but in the story the redskins are the old mascot of Viv and Vin's school.
>>
>>94255723
Huh, if I remember correctly they were present throughout the issue and the new mascot that replaced it couldn't eradicate their presence entirely. Since the book is heavy on social commentary maybe King is trying to draw parallels between Indians and the settlers? I really would have to re-read the series for this one.
>>
File: 85e.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
85e.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
My biggest problem with this series was a personal one. I felt so caught up in searching and analysing the book for thematic content and symbolism that I couldn't really relax while reading it. still enjoyed it though
>>
>>94255182
The vision is the person who made the vase while his family itself is the vase, it looks like a normal family but functionally it is incapable of being a normal human family.
>>
>somehow King made a story so good that someone made a post about immigrants in the OP and nobody has brought in real life politics yet
>>
>>94256394
I think that sense of anxiety is intentional. It is a bit of a thriller.
>>
>>94256611
The book also kind of precedes the whole post 2016 debacle. I'm sure Mister Miracle will be shitposted to death though.
>>
>>94256394
For the book that was so popular, there weren't much if any articles analyzing it. It was top 5 in every end of the year list. I remember there were 2 or 3 articles on Omega Men but none for this book.
>>
>>94256757
Especially considering King is writing it with the intention of reflecting how our world is "going insane", among other things. It's gonna be a political shitstorm when anything remotely political is brought up. I'm gonna avoid the storytimes
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.