[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what the hell is the endgame for this? Why bring Manhattan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: dc rebirth.jpg (252KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
dc rebirth.jpg
252KB, 1600x900px
So what the hell is the endgame for this? Why bring Manhattan into this and where will it lead? I know Manhattan is crazy strong but he better be beat by the whole of the DCU.
>>
Well I think that'll depend on what Manhattan's goal actually is. 100% chance it winds up being fucking stupid.
>>
File: Doomsday Clock.jpg (1MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday Clock.jpg
1MB, 3975x3056px
>>94252866
Anon, meet endgame.
>>
Superman will talk him down and he'll stop interfering. I don't know what kind of endgame you're thinking is supposed to happen.
>>
>>94252866
The endgame was to reset DC for Rebirth which worked out very nicely
Bringing back Watchmen will eventually lead to a potentially lucrative ongoing for them
In terms of in-universe, Manhattan isn't evil so I hope it gets solved pretty peacefully
>>
>>94252866
Manhattan being involved is just a blatant attempt to riding on the popularity of Watchmen. There is no reason Dr. Manhattan should be nearly powerful enough to affect the entire DC Multiverse. It would require a severe power boost just so the big dick of Watchmen can be the guy to do it.
>>
>>94252866
I remember Johns saying there wouldn’t be a physical confrontation with Dr. Manhattan.
>>
>>94252889
This is what I am afraid of. I'm gonna be hyped like I have never been hyped before and then get crushingly disappointed.
>>94252928
Yes but for what? What does a confrontation with Manhattan and Superman mean for the DCU's future?
>>
>>94252958
I'd say that's what the story is going to be asking. We know fuck all about it after all.
>>
>>94252948
>Watchmen will eventually lead to a potentially lucrative ongoing for them
Johns already Watchmen wont be getting a continuity.
>>94252953
>blatant attempt to riding on the popularity of Watchmen.
Watchmen is old news by now so what popularity?

And so help me if Manhattan is responsible for doing pic related to Kara, then he should fucking pay.
>>
>>94253025
Well, He is responsible for rebirth.
>>
>>94253054
That's what I was getting at. That art is so atrocious that I hope Manhattan gets btfo for it.
>>
>>94253025
There's no way I believe they won't cash in on a Watchmen ongoing/several limited series now that they are in universe within the next two years.
>>
>>94253078
Then Alan Moore will come out of his hidey hole and give his 2 cents about how shit it is and how we're stupid for reading it.
>>
>>94253129
Who cares, it'll make money anyway
>>
Will they ever go back to just being DC, Instead of DC Rebirth? I'm a little tired of than Rebirth banner just like I got tired of seeing New 52 everywhere
>>
>>94253278
I'm sure it'll go away in a bit.
>>
>>94253278
You answered your own question. They dropped New52 after 6 years. They'll have a new tag eventually for a future status quo. Marvel has a different tag every year.
>>
>>94253278
Probably after Doomsday Clock.
>>
>>94253329
Actually, right now Marvel has no tags, they're just Marvel, ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT was removed from the comics after issue 5 of that wave of comics. I'm wondering if DC will ever do the same or if they're doomed to always be saddled with a tag that they honestly no longer need.
>>94253338
>>94253307
One can only hope
>>
>>94253068
Rebirth was a mistake
Supergirl's ongoing is the worst it's been since the Silver Age
>>
I am kinda digging the shit with Batman and the Joker though, maybe I just like Snyder.
>>
>>94253749
Don't know why they didn't just use the Injustice Kara as inspiration.
>>
>>94253557
Marvel Legacy
>>
>>94252866
Watchmen ongoing(s).

DC wants to make more money on those characters and bring them into the public eye again.
>>
>>94252866
Warned wanted fast bucks, and Johns is a bitch with zero artistic integrity, so he gladly introduced Manhattan.

That's it, there's no endgame yet, Johns doesn't know how his books will end when he starts writing.
>>
Given what we know now... I get the feeling Manhattan isn't the orchestrator just another player in whatever the hell is going on.

Mr.OZ as well, whoever they actually are. despite all the watchmen style branding theres probably something bigger than them doing all this shit, or telling them to do all that shit.
>>
File: 1501200410701.jpg (901KB, 2400x1880px) Image search: [Google]
1501200410701.jpg
901KB, 2400x1880px
>>94255410
Well, wanna do some guess work?
>>
>>94255464

Lol.... naaaaaaaaah. I'm no multiverse hypercrisis expert.

Just seems way too obvious and up front for it all to be about Manhattan and Ozymandias
>>
>>94255464
>>94255659
Man, it sucks that there's never any decent hypercrisis threads any more.
>>
>>94256238
Hypercrisis threads descended into shitty roleplaying, repetition, and borderline retarded analysis and predictions years before Multiversity dropped.
>>
>why bring Manhattan into this
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>
>>94256525
Is Manhattan that much of a seller?
>>
>>94255659
Hyper crise isn't real.
>>
>>94253129
>Why bring Manhattan into this
Because Johns is an incredible fuck and a raccoon digging into Moore's thrash.
>and where will it lead?
More sales for DC by cashing in on their cash cow.
>>
>>94256491
I think it's a case of people not trying hard enough to be honest. All the best screencaps involve serious chemistry shit with actual references to certain schools of philosophy and whatnot, while also being deeply invested in super hero lore.

People don't care enough nowadays, it seems.
>>
>>94256899
Nice try, Gentry.
>>
>>94256660
considering the Watchmen is one of the best selling comics of all time, I would say so
>>
>>94252866
>but he better be beat by the whole of the DCU.
>implying it wont be batman and his merry band of METAL batmen
>implying the event wont end with justice league getting disbanded and batman forming the justbatice batleague of batmerica
>>
>>94257190
>justbatice batleague of batmerica
literally Batman Inc
>>
>>94257103
Is it really? Huh.
I never cared for it, so if anything I might avoid Doomsday Clock because of the Watchmen connection.
>>
>>94252866
IMO the whole "Dr. Manhattan mucked with reality" is a nice plot device for them to use to retcon certain things that were bad narratives and maintain the nice things from the new 52 that they like.

It lets them eat their cake and have it too.
>>
>>94257002
*uncreative fuck
>>
Manhattan stole Johnny's Thunderbolt genie to do all this, so it's Johns using him to bring back the old JSA into Rebirth when he gets defeated by them
>>
>>94257202
>implying you cant recycle the same ideas twice
>>
File: max. smrt.gif (532KB, 160x122px) Image search: [Google]
max. smrt.gif
532KB, 160x122px
>>94257477

.....uhhhhh?
>>
>>94252866
>still no Billy Rebirth

Why is it taking so long?
>>
I feel like the Time Trapper will be behind all of this, and Dr. Manhattan just happened to get caught up in his bullshit because of timeline/multiverse shit.
>>
File: david-caruso-sunglasses.jpg (29KB, 540x351px) Image search: [Google]
david-caruso-sunglasses.jpg
29KB, 540x351px
>>94258719

That also sounds highly fuckin likely since the return of the Legion in some aspect is only a matter of....... Time
>>
>>94258719

Huh... I hadn't bothered wiki'ing him before but this ... seems like something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controllers_(DC_Comics)
>>
>>94252866

The goal is retcon the reboot without calling it either. Add Watchmen is hyping it up. Even if the event is bad, the intent was successful. It undid the New 52 and allowed DC to focus on their best franchises.
>>
>>94260174
Controllers are all dead.

Geoff also fucking HATES them, hence why he had Larzfleeze kill the entire Controllers species off first chance he had.

Hell, DC even killed off the fucking Controllers GLC counterpart the Darkstars; the only ones still alive are Donna Troy, John Stewart, and John Flint.
>>
>>94252958
Dr. Manhattan messed with the DCU to strengthen both it and himself against his corrupted duplicate The Empty Hand.
>>
>>94252941

This is the best case.

Sure, they could pull some shit like Superdad being immune to his 'instantly rip people apart' power because Superman or something related to him being the original of Post-Crisis, and have Superman actually outfight him in an incredibly satisfying fist-fight where the Man of Steel shows what he is made of...

But it's about time we got to see ol' Supes shine as he always has, and win by setting a good example and showing empathy and compassion for his foes as well as his allies. To talk it out, and appeal to what they could be. I mean, has there ever been a character who squandered their potential more than Manhatten? He literally allowed himself to be used as a tool for a corrupt government for most of his existance, and his greatest act is one of terror that he didn't even commit. His apathy, and dare I say depression, stopped him from ever becoming the hero he could have been.

>You killed her.
>And you could have stopped me.

To paraphrase.
>>
>>94252957

Authors lie anon, and sometimes plans change.
>>
>>94255232

They could just do a release of the story, the art some unholy amalgam of the original and the movie, and then have an ongoing afterwards. It wouldn't have to be tied to the DC main setting. After all, we can already assume the Watchmen setting is one of the many Elseworlds, or several (movie and comic being different ones).

That said, I'm actually kind of looking forwards to seeing the heroes interact with the main DC heroes and villains. I want to see Rorschach in Gotham city, Niteowl dealing with the Court of Owls, and generally just see a scantily clad Silk Spectre again. Say what you will about Snyder; her outfit, and bare ass and ittybittytitties are a great gift to /co/ kind.
>>
>>94260521

......or..ARE THEY!?!? cue dramatic music...
>>
>>94252866
>Why bring Manhattan into this and where will it lead?

For the first part, because The Cereal Lord is an unimaginative writer who starts shitty canon that looks like it might lead to great changes and turbulence, but (to answer your second part) ends up being a big bunch of mindless noise and blather and another tedious reset button
>>
File: whosetoblame.jpg (75KB, 450x488px) Image search: [Google]
whosetoblame.jpg
75KB, 450x488px
>>94252889
>it winds up being fucking stupid.

>>94252958
>get crushingly disappointed

>>94255234
>Johns doesn't know how his books

>>94257002
>Because Johns is an incredible fuck and a raccoon digging into Moore's thrash

>>94257369
>uncreative fuck

Based Johns - the savior of DC
>>
>>94258719
They already confirmed Manhattan was behind it all.
>>
>>94264508
>Superdad being immune to his 'instantly rip people apart' power
But he wasn't. He got affected like everyone else just differently.
>>
I think it might lead into a greater, more sudden attachment of pre-Flashpoint continuity to the current DCU. With things like superhero trunks or spandex becoming more prominent in the aesthetic again, expanding the timeline to accommodate more history, while mixing it with the New 52's good parts. Sort of a "metamorphosis" of what Rebirth's all about into a new DCU.

The actual comic itself will probably deal in exploration, with Superman going through different eras in the DC timeline, perhaps. Like the Golden Age funnybooks, to Silver Age craziness, overall a celebration of DC and comic books as a whole. Then in the last half we reach the 80's, and this is where Watchmen comes in. Superman and Manhattan have a talk, and things wrap up. Ozy might meet the businessman Lex from the 90's.
>>
>>94269091

It's been used on him? I'm not talking about whatever he did to reality. I'm talking about his ability to make people explode like gore bags in the movie. Because that was his 'trick'. Aside from growing big, tk, teleportation, and invulnerabity he didn't demonstrate many/any (non)flying brick powers that would make a punch up with Clark in any way satisfying.
>>
Itt: Ewingfags are mad since Johns sells more than their favorite writer.

>>94257103
>Implying Watchmen didn't start selling only because Johns brought them out of the woodwork.
>>
>>94271124
it sells around 20k copies yearly except during 2007-2009 where they printed nearly 2 million copies because of the movie
>>
Kinda off-topic but was the "Three Jokers" thing ever resolved?
>>
>>94252957
If there's not a splash page where EVERYONE shows up to beat him I will eat my fucking hat
>>
>>94271810
No. But Joker's in Metal, so that might be where shit happens.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.